World of Warships

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

World of Warships

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://worldofwarships.com/

It's in open beta right now. I've played a few games and I think I'm in love. It runs like a dream on a triple monitor setup, sounds great, and plays differently than anything I have ever played before. It is definitely more methodical by it's nature than most anything else out there. You commit to a route/goal at he start and you pretty much see it through to the end and hope your teammates do likewise.

My first game in an Erie class destroyer took me up the middle of a map, and then I switched to the right which caught me in a pretty wicked cross fire from 3 enemy ships. I was sunk and caused very little damage. I came in dead last in exp for all 16 people playing on both sides.

Not to be deterred, my second game saw me committing a much longer route to the enemy flag. It took longer to get into the action, but when I did I completely blindsided another destroyer. I sunk him with very little dmg to myself. I then proceeded straight to the flag area and came upon another destroyer hiding in wait. I think we surprised each other in equal measure. My fire got him moving out of hiding just in time for a team mate to assist me in sinking him. I was now in the flag area and exchanged fire with a lone defender just as two of my team mates rounded from the far side. The 3 of us pounded that battleship to pieces. At the end of that match, I had the highest exp of all 16 and the most sunken enemy ships!

This game is right up my alley. It's really intense when you're in a firefight. It's not twitchy at all. Instead, you have to think and plan each shot and maneuver a few seconds in advance because it makes all the difference in both attack and avoidance/defense.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: World of Warships

Post by Winnow »

Will check it out soon but I kind of gave up on WoWP for War Thunder and also like their Tank battles more. WoWP seems "clunkier" and slower game play than War Thunder so maybe ships will work ok with their slower speeds.

Kind of addicted to Marvel Heroes ATM. Do battles last about 15 minutes similar to planes/tanks?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Battles are around 10ish minutes, at least in the lower tiers where I am currently.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have about 20ish battles under my belt and 4 ships to my name. I've been messing around with a torpedo armed destroyer in hopes of getting some sneaky kills in, but it's been hard.

The maps and objectives are random and I think the most terrifying is a simple open water match with no islands at all. I went into a panic the first time I saw it. After a few times I have a nice strategy with my torpedo destroyer. I lone wolf it down which ever side I am closest to. I send out my torpedoes at a few targets and I usually peel 2-3 ships towards me. I launch my smoke screen and lob more torpedoes, switch to my main guns, and go down in a blaze of glory. The intention is to tie them up for as long as possible. Stop them from moving forward. Meanwhile, the enemy's front line ships are significantly outnumbered and easier to focus fire by my teammates. After the 2-3 ships eventually take my out, they'll catch up to the rest of their fleet which is already dead or dying and they'll be marching straight into my fleet's guns, already weakened by my torpedoes and shelling.

Last time I did this, I was the only casualty on my entire team. Unfortunately, the point system does not take into account my brilliant strategy. Oh well, a win is a large enough point increase on its own.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I've only played twice. I think I'm a natural:

Image Image

I was almost destroyed in the second battle, but an island saved my life.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

i've lost 1 in every 10 matches on average. Although I am usually sunk when playing a destroyer because I have to close into gun range. Meanwhile, battleships and cruisers can hang back and shell the fuck out of me if there is no island cover. However, that alerts my team where the enemy ships are, so it still serves a good purpose. The good news is as soon as you die you can go back to port and jump into battle with another ship and still the exp. That's a great system.

Cruisers are anice step up in survivability and firepower from destroyers, but I miss the speed. Unlike when I play as a destroyer, I often live when playing a cruiser. I'm close to grabbing my first battleship, so I look forward to seeing those differences. Looks like loading will take a lot longer, so you have to pick your targets well and make every shot count. Much slower turning radius too. I know I've caught a fair share with torpedoes because of that.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Did some curb stomping with the St. Louis.

Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

In the beginning, you're only in co-op battles. Once you start pvp'ing, the tides will turn )
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sunk all 8 opponents yesterday, including 4 citadel hits in a single match. The last shots fired was when my battleship was at 1/2 health vs an almost dead destroyer and a full health battle ship. My secondary guns took out the destroyer that was setting me up for a torpedo run and 2 full salvos at the other battleship took him out thanks to the first round having a citadel hit and every AP shot hitting and detonating. That first round of shots is the most dmg I have ever done in this game in a single shot.

I also started a game with an opening salvo on my battleship and sunk a destroyer from across the map before anyone else had fired a shot. I took a chance and let him run into my barrage. One shot, one kill! Very satisfying!