E3 - 2014

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: E3 - 2014

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:The only game that really looked interesting to me was that Ori and the Blind Forest (indie?) game although I don't know a lot about it. Annnnnd it's coming to PC so yeah.
Comes out Wednesday (weird day!) and getting pretty good reviews. If I pick it up I'll be sure to get it on PC!

Launch trailer - It's an "indie" game so I'm sure Winnow will say how bad the graphics are. Oh but wait probably not since it's an Xbox/Windows "exclusive" and isn't on PlayStation. All of the sudden indies are the best thing ever!
Last edited by Aslanna on March 10, 2015, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one. It will tide me over until Ff/Bloodborne/Borderlands.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:I haven't watched the whole MS thing yet given that I'm at work but from what I saw, Forza Horizon 2, Crackdown and Sunset Overdrive are what have me excited.
How is your Crackdown excitement level 4 years later? I hope you can hang in there at least one more year!
Crackdown 3 has once again been delayed, according to a report on Kotaku. Polygon has confirmed the delay with a source close to the project who spoke anonymously to protect their career. Originally scheduled for release in 2017 and more recently set for a vague spring 2018 release window, Crackdown 3 is now scheduled for a 2019 release, with publisher Microsoft giving the project additional development time.
Maybe 300,000 servers wasn't enough? I'm sure Winnow can put some sort of MS apologist spiel on it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I haven't used my consoles in the past few years.

Sony won this round. Even the promising recent exclusives (+PC) State of Decay and Sea of Thieves weren't very good.

The winner out of all of this is PC gaming. Save for the very rare console exclusive, I have zero desire to use a console anymore. Steam has been a great centralized location for many games, and non steam PC games work great as well. Controller support is strong for PC games these days so that one aspect isn't a big deal anymore. What you are left with is better performance, better graphics, more mod support, more of everything by using a PC and playing the games available on both platforms on a PC.

Going to try and watch the presentation from Microsoft for E3 and the game companies, and if I can fight through the orchestra music, maybe Sony's as well. Mostly interested in PC stuff at this point though. (and VR)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well according to Sony they aren't having a 'traditional' press conference this year (I forgot their exact words) so you more than likely won't like it. They will be showcasing 4 of their games which I imagine will be the bulk of their time. I'm sure there might be a couple of announcements of new things but people shouldn't get their hopes up of seeing trailers upon trailers.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just finished watching Microsoft's E3. Nicely done. Game Pass is the best thing Microsoft has going for it right now. Day One game pass releases. Sony will eventually need something similar because Microsoft seems very committed to it.

They picked up 5 new big name studios. Microsoft studios is formidable. Now they just need to make game pass available for PC users.

Ending of their conference with "hack" Cyperpunk 2077 trailer was outstanding. They game looks every bit as awesome as you would expect from CD Projekt Red:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7YkzlTGCUg

When the music started playing from that ancient original trailer....fuck yeah.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well according to Sony they aren't having a 'traditional' press conference this year (I forgot their exact words) so you more than likely won't like it. They will be showcasing 4 of their games which I imagine will be the bulk of their time. I'm sure there might be a couple of announcements of new things but people shouldn't get their hopes up of seeing trailers upon trailers.
You're right about that. Fucking horrible presentation 30 mins in. They say "lets keep going , moving things along"...it's fucking hitting button to play the next preview. Never seen so much hot air being blown.

Wow...one of worse things I've ever seen for a gaming show. Absolutely sucking ass. Jesus christ. Fuck that flute playing bastard.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Haters gonna hate (and troll).

Sony delivered exactly what they said they were going to. A deeper look at the four previously mentioned 1st party games. Anyone expecting more than that were dumbos. The only faltering was with the venue change. That shouldn't have been a thing. I get what they were going for trying to mimic the setting from The Last of Us 2 but they should have found a better way to do it or not do it at all. Once they got past that things flowed pretty smoothly.

Meanwhile over in Microsoftland they showed 50 games, of which only 4 are exclusive(*).. Grats 'new' Halos, Gear of Wars, and Forzas lolz. But thanks guys for showing me everything coming to PS4 in the near future!

Grats MS on doing what you always do... Throw money at shit. Other than Ninja Theory I wouldn't call those 5 studios as "big name studios". That brings them to what, 6 studios? Teehee.

* - I didn't verify this myself as I didn't watch MS's conference. Just going by a comment I saw on the internets!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That Sony presentation was horrible, I turned it off a few minutes into the boring Samarai ride through the weeds after a flute player performed on stage. Even worse, was the fake new commentary trying to be spontaneously but just awkwardly spitting out preplanned script. Microsoft dominated the presentations with Ubisoft always being a notable quality presentation at E3.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well you just go on being a negative Nancy. That's not good for your blood pressure btw.

On the other hand I'll keep enjoying all these games coming to PS4 while you continue crying about who had a good or bad conference. Not sure that matters when it comes to sales figures but hey... Take your perceived victories where you can get then I guess if that's what makes you happy.

Toodles!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well you just go on being a negative Nancy. That's not good for your blood pressure btw.
On a serious negative note regarding Sony, they are really screwing up with the Fortnite situation.

For reference:

Sony is shutting itself off to Xbox and Nintendo gamers — and it could totally blow PlayStation’s lead in the console wars

and

There's a 'dumb reason' why PlayStation and Xbox gamers can't play online together, according to a former Sony insider

-John Smedley quoted (EQ!) in second article.

Phone/Console x-over has become a reality. I've been playing a few phone games lately. Even Apple, king of the walled garden, doesn't care if I play the same game on iphone/android providing ways to use share same account info. On mobile I play the games on my iPhone, but at home, I use an Android emulator to play these phone games on my 55" inch screen...yes, they look good at that size these days.

I would not be playing phone games if I could only play them on a phone...too small for my eyes...but these games are great on the big screen via Emulator.

Sony is being absolutely moronic and short-sighted by not allowing their games to be played on other systems with the same account. It's an awesome way to lose loyalty and customers. Fortnite is HUGE. EVERYWHERE besides Sony/Playstation, you can play on your system, then play the same account on your iphone, android, switch, xbox or PC using same awards/skins, etc.

Making this even worse is that Sony has no mobile platform of its own (legitimate mobile platform). People buying skins for Fortnite, etc on Sony are screwed when they want to play mobile, which many many people do.(or on Xbox/PC/Phone platforms)

They may think they're untouchable , high and mighty with this generation but man, it's incredibly stupid to be doing this right now. Mobile games are huge and growing faster than PC/Console games, especially with these new high end graphics in mobile. Steam is offering streaming to any device now. Sony is really screwing their customers and themselves by not joining the rest of the gaming/mobile world in cross platform. Inbreeding only works so long before you start looking funny. This should be very obvious to Sony execs but the above articles indicate they're clueless about it.