Elder Scrolls Online Beta Sign Up

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Elder Scrolls Online Beta Sign Up

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Beta Sign Up

Post by Aslanna »

As far as a GAME trailer goes I thought that was pretty poor. It didn't really make me want to bother with the game at all. Not that I was going to anyway. But the video did nothing to change my mind.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If no interest at all, a beta won't help. As for me, I'm curious how this will turn out. It can't be any worse than the 15 minutes I lasted in the Marvel Heroes beta.

The "game" trailer was just a movie. I'd forgive the lack of hot female avatars and upskirtable armor if the actual playable characters looked that good in the game. A fun combat system wouldn't hurt.

3 days, 7 hours 42 minutes until Cloaking IV skill completes and I can move on to train Caldari Cruiser V for the next 17 days! Tengu Tengu Tengu. 24 day Battle Cruiser V is waiting to take me into March after that!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I agree that the movie did little to inspire me to play the game. That may be in part that I have never played Elder Scrolls to begin with. If they can make movies with this quality of graphics, why not just start releasing movies? They'd probably make more money in the long run. Speaking of, wasn't there supposed to be a Warcraft movie?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

A couple of my friends are all excited about it so I signed up for the beta. I don't see any way in hell I'll be playing it post release, though, as I don't have time for a MMO and haven't ever really been a huge fan of Elder Scrolls games.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm curious about this game. Mainly for the basics first off like, is it a subscription based game or is it like GW2 where you buy the game but then it is free to play, or is it like Neverwinter/Rift/SWTOR/LOTRO where you have to invest a metric shit-ton of money to enjoy the game without pain?

I've seen no real hype about the game yet. What do they offer that these other games can't?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You can play Neverwinter, and enjoy the game, without spending a single penny. It definitely doesn't require a "metric shit-ton of money". No need to spread misinformation! Certain things, mainly high level professions, might require an investment if one wants to make any sort of return, but that's certainly not required for game enjoyment for many people.

The only other thing that might hinder enjoyment is bag space but I didn't really encounter that.

As far as the business model for ESO goes:
What payment model will The Elder Scrolls Online use?

We have not yet announced the business model for The Elder Scrolls Online . When we do, we'll be sure to share the news on our website and social channels, so stay tuned!
I can't imagine it being anything other than Free to Play but I've been surprised before.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Isn't this coming to PS4? I thought this, Planetside 2, and a couple other MMOs were coming to that platform.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Isn't this coming to PS4? I thought this, Planetside 2, and a couple other MMOs were coming to that platform.
Yes. PS4. XBO as well. In addition to PC and Mac.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Isn't this coming to PS4? I thought this, Planetside 2, and a couple other MMOs were coming to that platform.
Yes. PS4. XBO as well. In addition to PC and Mac.
Is it launching at the same time on all platforms or is it a staggered release?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

No idea!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

FFXIV will be on PS4 (and PS3). That would be a good MMO if you prefer console play. It has a decent setup I've tried on the PC for Xbox type controllers.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Surprised!
Putting an end to speculation that the massively multiplayer entry in Bethesda's award-winning role-playing franchise would be free-to-play, Zenimax Online's Matt Firor has confirmed The Elder Scrolls Online will follow a subscription-based business model.

The general manager of Zenimax online confirmed monthly subscriptions for the eagerly-anticipated game during a pre-Gamescom interview with German site Gamestar. Players will purchase the game, which comes with 30 days free, after which they'll pay a monthly fee of $14.99/€12.99/£8.99.
Pass.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'll see how the beta is if/when invited.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

don't know where they are getting eagerly anticipated from. I don't know anyone looking forward to this unwanted turkey.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

just got my key
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Same. This weekend only though. 20GB download. May take a brief look but this is Xbox One launch weekend so won't be playing Elder Scrolls much.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah everyone I've talked to that signed up got one. I won't be bothering, I'm still enjoying FF 14 and won't be playing multiple MMO's at once.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They were having major login issues at the beginning of the beta. I logged on enough to see that it isn't worth playing at least for now. Really generic quest and quest dialogue etc. Feels dated.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I had no login problems at all. The game was fun, but nothing I'd play for an extended amount of time.
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:I had no login problems at all. The game was fun, but nothing I'd play for an extended amount of time.
I tried it right then it went live. For the first hour or two, it was unstable and the servers were up/down which is to be expected. Don't know after that. I was pretty distracted with the XB1. Character generation and initial quests didn't leave a positive impression on me. I'll try it again maybe next round of tests.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Anyone have an extra or unwanted key by chance? Don't think I lucked into the beta.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

It doesn't work like that. You get weekend passes maybe once a month. If you get accepted then you have something like a 90% chance you'll be invited back, if you participate (and fill out those retardedly long surveys). It is still early phase 1, and very unpolished, which is pretty cool, since it's off to a decent start, so the testing phases are not very often. From what the boards say, it's about one weekend a month, with the next batch of invites coming out in a week or two, so I wouldn't worry too much.

On that note, with regards to those damn surveys, I found out that there was one massive part of beta that I didn't try, which was the pvp element. Since half the survey had to do with that, I want to spend most my next weekend playing it as it sounded pretty damn cool.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Ahhh ok, thanks for the info.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I believe that the PC release date was announced as April 4th with console dates being not too long after that.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Elder Scrolls Online will release on April 4 for the PC and Mac, Bethesda Softworks revealed this morning in a new trailer for the MMO set in the Elder Scrolls continuity. PS4 and Xbox One gamers will have to wait until June.

Bethesda did not give a specific date in June for the console editions' launch.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Elder Scrolls Online on PlayStation 4 will not require a PlayStation Plus membership to access, only the monthly subscription required to play on all platforms, according to a post from director Matt Firor on the PlayStation Blog.

Firor's post also reveals that North America and Europe will each have their own dedicated, separate megaservers for the PS4 version, which will be separate from dedicated Windows PC and Mac servers.
Good guy Sony. Although really, unlike Xbox Live Gold, there's no reason NOT to have PS+!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game is going to flop. I think it would flop even if it was F2P but at 15/month it's going to flop for sure.

Having too much fun in Blade & Soul to play the Elder Scroll beta. My first impression of it was so bad I haven't taken them up on any of the beta invites since.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No one pays a subscription for MMOs anymore unless it's World of WarCraft. This game is either going to bomb out of the gate or wither and die in less that 6 months like all the rest when people eat up all the content before their subscription expires.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:No one pays a subscription for MMOs anymore unless it's World of WarCraft. This game is either going to bomb out of the gate or wither and die in less that 6 months like all the rest when people eat up all the content before their subscription expires.
Final Fantasy 14 seems to be doing just fine, always at on of people on, and it's long past the trial period. Thing is, I think it's unique... Sure it does a lot of typical MMO stuff, but it's got enough of it's own to be different. Elder Scrolls has always been kinda generic, and that's not going to serve them well in the MMO market. Also, the combat systems are generally atrocious in their games, I hope they got their act together on this, because that would be a big deal breaker too.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Certainly some MMOs can, and do, get by with a subscription. I think if they plan in advance and budget it as such everything will be fine. It's when developers expect huge subscriber numbers that either never materialize or fade away at first chance when things get dicey. I don't get the feeling that Elder Scrolls online has it's expectations in line with what they will end up with.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Bump.

This game is going to be really fucking good. The PVP Battleground especially looks to be massive, siege-y, destructible environment-ey, and all-around fuckshituptastic.

My friend is getting me into the beta somehow next week. I'm paumped.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Leonaerd wrote:I'm paumped.
Most people are. Until they get into the beta and actually play the game.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah everything I've seen looked generic. Honestly the Elder Scrolls games are some of the most overrated games ever. I'll stick with FF14, it doesn't have much in the way of pvp, but I also have zero interest in pvp so it works.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I don't like how they do grouping. If I finished a quest, then join a friend's group to complete that same quest, I get phased out and can't help him at all. Seems pretty stupid.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Still bummed TSW ended up sucking. It was a great concept!

I think I'll give EQNext a try whenever it finally comes out.

I agree with Funk in that Elder Scrolls games are vastly overrated. Nice textures and all, but also fairly boring, at least for me (hated the combat mechanics).
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:Still bummed TSW ended up sucking. It was a great concept!

I think I'll give EQNext a try whenever it finally comes out.

I agree with Funk in that Elder Scrolls games are vastly overrated. Nice textures and all, but also fairly boring, at least for me (hated the combat mechanics).
Yeah, they get boring real fast and the combat is embarrassingly bad.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Still bummed TSW ended up sucking. It was a great concept!
TSW at least had something new to bring to the table even if it didn't turn out well. I give it way more credit than the generic stuff I saw in the ESO beta.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not a good start for a game that isn't worthy of a monthy sub to begin with:

http://kotaku.com/players-upset-over-th ... 1559139938
Like most subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing games, The Elder Scrolls Online includes 30 day free game time with purchase, but in order to access that 30 free days, one first has to set up a subscription, and that's got some of the game's players in an uproar. 3

Tomorrow morning at 8 AM Eastern, players who have purchased The Elder Scrolls Online but have yet to set up a recurring subscription or entered a game time code will no longer have access to the game.

The issue with most players making their objections heard in the Elder Scrolls Online forums over the past couple of days isn't the subscription itself — the minimum $14.99 monthly fee comes as no surprise. What is surprising is that Zenimax Online is pre-authorizing users' credit and debit cards the full $14.99 (or more) fee. 4

Being a pre-authorization, the charge briefly appears as a pending item with most North American banks, and won't be counted towards overdraft problems.

To many this is not a big deal. To others, it's a major inconvenience, as one forum-goer explains.
So basically, because I only have about $12 in my bank (I'm between paydays), I'm not going to be able to play the game I ALREADY PAID FOR until next week when I have enough to cover the authorization?

What kind of nonsense is this!?
Players without credit or debit cards who were planning to pick up prepaid game time cards are running into problems as well, as the cards are not widely available at retail at this point in time. Without some form of electronic payment or a game time card in-hand, they'll be out of luck come tomorrow morning.
No way they should be pre authorizing your credit card for the following month for the full amount. Many people buy these MMOs just to play for a month and then quit. That's their choice. So now you have to have 75.00 in your account total to play for a 60.00 game? You bought the game with 30 days. If your card declines the next month, the company isn't out any money and can easily disable your account until you pay. In this case, there's no valid reason to pre authorize credit cards for the full amount. They aren't in jeopardy of losing anything except for gaming time that the customer hasn't played yet. If someone's card declines the following month then they probably shouldn't be playing a monthly sub MMO anyway. Bad business.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Didn't EQ do the same thing? It's been over a decade since I first signed up so I have no idea for certain but I'm pretty sure you had to at least have credit card info even if you were using the initial free 30 days. Whether the $15 showed up as a preauthorization or not though I don't remember.

Having said that if you only have $12 in your bank account perhaps playing a game with a $15 monthly subscription isn't the best use of your funds.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Didn't EQ do the same thing? It's been over a decade since I first signed up so I have no idea for certain but I'm pretty sure you had to at least have credit card info even if you were using the initial free 30 days. Whether the $15 showed up as a preauthorization or not though I don't remember.

Having said that if you only have $12 in your bank account perhaps playing a game with a $15 monthly subscription isn't the best use of your funds.
Its the pre authorization that's the issue not having a payment method on file. It effectively requires you to have 75.00 to pay for a game you want to play for 30 days and quit if it sucks. Unless it says somewhere that pre authorization for following month required somewhere in the agreement, which still doesn't make it right, Pre authorization is best used for things like cross shipping, etc. and pre ordering in certain circumstances. Unless playing more than one month is mandatory for a bad online game, there's no reason to pre authorize. If it declines, it declines. No one is out any money. It's a case of a company looking to lock people in or have them forget about the sub so they can earn more money from people not playing the game.

Say you got Elder Scrolls Online as a gift and will get a pre paid card if you like it. Well, you're shit out of luck! You can't even play the game that was already paid for with 30 days of game play included. I'm sure the company is backpedaling at this point but it makes no sense to require pre authorization. If they need to pre authorize/validate a card, it should be for .01.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Honestly I don't care enough to have any sort of outrage about this.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Honestly I don't care enough to have any sort of outrage about this.
Then why even post? I clarified why it's an issue. If it still doesn't affect you, it's kind of a waste to say you don't care about it! Outrage also isn't required to post with your last reply being the perfect example. Posting about things that don't directly impact you can be refreshing. At least being aware of something might be useful and sometimes worth noting so it doesn't create a trend. Maybe the next Uncharted Game will pre authorize your card for another 60.00 for the sequel...something you might not buy or for DLC. Sounds reasonable. Pre authorization isn't needed for something you may not want and have no requirement to buy.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Then why even post?
I ask that same question every time I read one of your messages.

I'm surprised your post didn't contain something about the PS4 controller.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:

I'm waiting for someone to complain about the optional Xbox One controller update before I get into that again.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

I'm waiting for someone to complain about the optional Xbox One controller update before I get into that again.
Oh you mean the one that you have to do in order to get chat functionality that should have been in day 1?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

Oh you mean the one that you have to do in order to get chat functionality that should have been in day 1?
nope!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

So...this game any good?
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I'm playing it now. I got in at the early access point and am now level 20. I am playing it really slow at the moment, but as a game to hop in and play, its fun. There are some bugs still, but nothing terribly bad. The quests are fun enough to play, and the world is gorgeous. The few group dungeons I've done have been a blast, but there isn't a whole lot of end game content right now, so my pace seems to be the way to go.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The console edition of The Elder Scrolls Online will be delayed by six months

"The Elder Scrolls Online officially launched on April 4, 2014 on PC and Mac," reads the statement regarding Bethesda's new MMO, "While it has become clear that our planned June release of the console versions isn't going to be possible, we have made great progress, we have concluded that we'll need about six more months to ensure we deliver the experience our fans expect and deserve."

--