Farewell City of Heroes

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Farewell City of Heroes

Post by Siji »

Today is the last day of ground-breaking MMO City of Heroes. One of the first non-fantasy MMOs to launch, predating World of Warcraft by almost a year, it has been a cult favourite for many gamers. But despite the efforts of the players to save it, publisher NCSoft have decided to pull the plug on this beloved title.

http://www.mmomeltingpot.com/2012/11/go ... of-heroes/
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Farewell City of Heroes

Post by Winnow »

Was anyone here playing it? It was fun and I think the best of the Super Hero MMOs but I'd like to know if anyone actually played it recently here.

NCSoft is doing well with Aion. They made it completely free to play and keep pumping out really nice free updates to the game.

NCSoft has more important, money making, games on their mind:
NCsoft, the publisher responsible for two Guild Wars games, Blade & Soul, and Aion, has seen significant growth over the past fiscal quarter thanks to the successful launch of Guild Wars 2. The company's 3Q 2012 earnings report released earlier today shows a hefty increase in sales, profit, and income compared not only to the previous quarter but to the entire year.

The report also offers a breakdown of sales by region as well as sales by games. While overall sales in Korea far outnumber sales in the North America or Europe, the availability of GW2 globally could be what put that game at the top of the sales list ahead of Blade & Soul, which is available only in Korea.

CoH is crammed in there with "other". I don't blame them for shutting it down. GW2 is a great game. I've played Aion for 4 years and it's only gotten better with huge 2.0, 3.0 and early next year 4.0 updates along with constant small updates. Blade and Soul (beta accounts are going for $300.00 US for a beta that lasts 30 days in China) is another solid game that will be released in the US shortly. They still need to upkeep Lineage 1&2 considering the money they're making on those games. Korea is by far their main income which also doesn't bode well for CoH. They also tried to dump it off to another company but there were no worthwhile takers.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

I played it off and on with my son (who is 11 and loved the game). It had several very strong points and not so many weak points. It just could not compare to the WoW super giant so it went FTP but they screwed that up pretty bad and that is where they lost most of the player base. DC Online is doing something very similar but the FTP aspect they insituted makes more sense even though imo the game is sub par compared to CoH.

The game will be missed as it was always one of my fall back feel good games that you could pick up no matter how long you have been away and still enjoy it and not feel like it was a constant grind.

Oh well, back to playing nothing but the game of life I suppose since every MMORPG out there sucks these days.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

A bunch of us here all played it. I think it had its own forum, actually. The game was fun until we got a glimpse of their 'end game' which, if I remember correctly, had 10 missions 8 of them being "kill 20 bad men" or something stupid. I think we all quit at roughly the same time after facing that 'raid' together.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Greblaja

Post by Ogbar »

I played it, from beta 'til the bitter end. It's the first MMO that I ever got a character to the highest level - and I did it 15 times there. The last night was more than a little emotional, I can tell you. It really is a shame, as they fixed all the major problems with the game and they were still churning out new content and developing new power sets. Hell of a time to pull the plug on something: I get the parent company not wanting it anymore, because it was only a small profit compared to other titles, but why not sell it off to another company - there was definitely interest there.
Ogbar - a member of the Tiger's Roar retirement community
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dwarf!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ogbar wrote:I played it, from beta 'til the bitter end. It's the first MMO that I ever got a character to the highest level - and I did it 15 times there. The last night was more than a little emotional, I can tell you. It really is a shame, as they fixed all the major problems with the game and they were still churning out new content and developing new power sets. Hell of a time to pull the plug on something: I get the parent company not wanting it anymore, because it was only a small profit compared to other titles, but why not sell it off to another company - there was definitely interest there.
Sounds like you had a great time in CoH. You went out on top!

CoH is the only game kyou's character and mine were in the same group. There's some freakish trivia for you.

The travel powers were fun. I thought the power system worked well and it had a decent character generation/customization system. So far, the HERO games that followed haven't been as good.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Anyone know of a working emulator server?
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Time to let it go. And come back to EQ!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's back!

Source code was leaked/released.

You can download and play the game using these instructions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/c ... ic_server/

The CoH Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/

I gave it a try. The SCORE server works. Holds up pretty well for being an ancient MMORPG. Still the best Super Hero MMO.

DC Online was OK and Marvel Heroes was fun (although more like a diablo type game) CoH still has best customization. Shame NCSoft dumped so many years ago.