G4 Canceling X-Play, Attack of the Show. Gaming Programming

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

G4—the network once known as the go-to destination for video game-friendly programming—is ending its gaming programming. The network is informing its employees in meetings today.

We've heard that G4's major video-game and geek-culture shows, including X-Play and Attack of the Show will be cancelled today by the network. A source close to the situation says that it's not clear if the shows will last through the year or be cancelled immediately. The rumor is that the network will shift to something more like an "Esquire" or "GQ" channel. This aligns with reports that NBC Universal was looking to rebrand the channel as alifestyle network focused on "the modern male."

Launched in 2002, G4 started off with a programming slate that consisted almost entirely of game-centric programming. After acquiring TechTV, the network found success with X-Play, a recurring show that featured reviews and comedy based on new game releases. Longtime co-host Adam Sessler left X-Play earlier this year, a move that signaled the end of an era for many. We'll update this story as we learn more.

We're hearing that the network has booked conference rooms for today in order to inform groups of employees of their fate and of the future of the network.

Update:
A TV Guide report confirms that Attack of the Show and X-Play will be ending production at the end of this year. Both shows will be airing new episodes until December, with farewell shows and celebrity guest stars showing up as the programs wind down.
The Console/PC Gaming industry is huge but it still hasn't translated into any form of Cable TV type shows.

I didn't watch G4 and their gaming shows but I thought it was cool that it was offered. I think there's still room for some form of gaming channel if done right.

For me, a couple gaming related podcasts each week are enough to get what I want. Same with Tech stuff. TWIT and a few other podcasts are great resources for staying up on tech related news/industry in audio format.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: G4 Canceling X-Play, Attack of the Show. Gaming Programming

Post by Leonaerd »

The consummate gaming channel would consist of mostly Esports streaming. LoL, SC2, Dota, etc (WoW arena Sundays with Leeroy!!). Adam Sessler and co would easily find their niche there.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's too bad. I never watch, other than once in a blue moon and almost always during E3, but I'm still sad to see them go.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kinda saw it coming with all of the guest hosting and such going on. I mostly watched AotS, but I keep up on a couple X-Play podcasts.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Techtv was awesome, it all started going down hill when G4 acquired it. They turned a great, informative and mature show on technology and gadgets and gaming into the immature trash that is attack of the show. Good riddance. Hope Sessler can find success elsewhere, though!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I tried to watch G4/AotS once and turn it off after 10 minutes. Unwatchable.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I would catch something G4 from time to time, only good part was the girl that hosted.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

With those shows leaving there really is no reason to watch that channel anymore. Very sad.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

You don't watch the Cops/Campus PD marathons?!?!

I'm guessing they will keep picking up more movie content (and TV), but content like what is being canceled definitely made the channel stand out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:With those shows leaving there really is no reason to watch that channel anymore. Very sad.
There's still "Fresh Ink" hosted by Blair Butler if you like comic books!

I watch the podcast. Hmm not sure if it actually airs on the channel.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

With those shows leaving there really is no reason to play games or start up your computer anymore. Very sad.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--