Dota 2 Beta

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Dota 2 Beta

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I just got an invitation to Steam's Dota 2. Anyone else in the beta? I'm a total newb and looking for a familiar name to play with during the learning curve.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Dota 2 Beta

Post by Zamtuk »

I am on there. Currently mediocre at best, but feel free to hit me up. Name is higgins, the picture is Cutty Wise from the wire. Boom
Fuck Michigan!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Friend invite sent. I have yet to actually play the game. Been watching a shitload of vids though! Twitch TV for ipad/iphone is pretty great for gaming live streams!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Any of you punks playing this? A couple of buddies and I are gonna start giving it a shot tonight.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

No. I played it during beta, but the floodgates have opened and the retards from LOL and what not have taken over. If four of my friends are on then we will do a premade, but I will never jump in that matchmaking system again. Not to sound like a snobby asshole, but if I've logged over 500 wins, I don't want to be thrown on a team with some guy that has 10 wins. Since, on release they literally changed it from whatever they did have to "average of all wins on the team", the experience has deteriorated to the point of madness.

I still have fun with it, to be sure. But, just casually playing when I have an hour or two to kill is gone. If they fix it, or at the very least, enable region lock, then I might come back to it more steadily. But for now, I'll take 6 months off, then pick it back up when the rest of the world has caught up.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I never got into it. I played a couple games during Beta and everyone was an asshole. Done!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I never got into it. I played a couple games during Beta and everyone was an asshole. Done!
That was my experience too.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, we're still struggling to win against bots on easy, not gonna be in matchmaking anytime soon (although it's not because I give a shit if I "lose the game for someone else").
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

If you want to get some real shitty play that evens the field, do Least Played mode. Most people are complete shit, because it's literally the people you dont know how to use. It's fun, and a pretty easy way for newcomers to assimilate with the rest of us and learn the ropes without looking so obviously bad.

So, I hopped on in a three man and got the worst draw. So, per usual, I checked their Dota profile, and now, Steam has blocked looking at user stats. This is infuriating, because instead of listening to everyones complaints, they are not only ignoring it, but going through lengths to make sure it stays like this. That is just insane.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

they do it for a reason because every time people start a game t hey look at everyone's stats and start bitching.

those DOTA games bring out the absolute worst in people who are already a bunch of total shitcocks.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I've kinda been turned off of the multiplayer before I've even tried it by the attitudes of the people that play. People reporting players that aren't good because how dare they fuck up their leet strategizing? Some people need to get over themselves.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah I've kinda been turned off of the multiplayer before I've even tried it by the attitudes of the people that play. People reporting players that aren't good because how dare they fuck up their leet strategizing? Some people need to get over themselves.
But we, as "hardcore" gamers, have to understand that attitude to a degree. I mean, take EQ as an example. If some fuckup showed up to your group and fucked everything up, everyone would be kind of be a dick to them. Same with any game out there that is team dependent. Stat checkers and shamers are kind of prevalent in any team based game. Hell, WoW has ilvl gear scores to shame people. Even achievements or lack thereof are used to shit on people in various games.

I was in a WoW Heroic the other day and half way through this Instance we were breezing through the healer suddenly starts flipping out about the fact the Tank is in PvP gear. The motherfucker had 650k HPs for christs sake and the healer never dropped below 80% mana the entire run. He actually tried to kick the tank from the group. I couldn't fucking believe it! What more did that dude want? The tank was over geared by almost double the hitpoints and outgeared the instance by a landslide. But it was PvP gear! Oh no, I better throw a tantrum!

The problem with Dota 2 is that the learning curve is pretty large and when the Beta is a year long with hundreds of thousands of people, by the time the game was officially released you have all those people with absolutely zero tolerance Day Fucking One. I'm glad others have had equally shitty experiences so I don't feel singled out.

There may well be legit reasons to shit on someone depending on the situation, but some people just shit all over anyone they can, whenever they can, for whatever reason. It's the type of person certain games seem to attract. MOBA games are one of them from my experience.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Yeah, thankfully, I am not in that category. I get as pissed as the next one if someone is blatantly terrible, but if they admit that they are new, and have no idea, I don't get mad, I get it. Hell, I help them out in a lot of cases. However, snobbery kicking in, I paid my dues, so to speak, in that game, so I feel that I shouldn't have to. And, to be fair, it's not fair to them either. I'll run through them if they were on the other team, and they would have zero fun.

The attitudes are awful. Someone dies twice, and it's all "REPORT HIM". I laugh at it constantly. But, since its F2P, the age and mindset of the player base is lower than it should be. So, I will only play with friends now, to make up for that games community. On the flip side, there are those rare games where everyone is just fantastic, and you really don't care whether you win or lose. And the games that you come back from all odds and win. Those reasons are why I play. The community can all die.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Ever notice the people that say "Good luck and have fun" are usually the first to start yelling at others?

People do flip for no reason at all. Like killing 8 people but dying 10 times. On paper it's not that bad really but those people get lumped in with people going 0-20. Just an absolute shitfest most games.

I'm not sure if Dota 2 has a Tribunal like LOL does, but I sure like getting my revenge that way.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

What I love is that you can get a good score, a positive k/d ratio, and be a team player but if you don't build your character like the despicable people on the forums tell you is the best way to do so you still will get called a noob and be reported.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Some solid criticisms in that game. I get a lot of them, myself.

Having said that, if you losers want to get a game going my info is at the top of this thread, so feel free to invite me and I'll pop on and do terribly with you guys. I can handle playing with shitty people if I know them.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

When I play, it's always with two other buddies who both started playing at the same time as me. I think I've noticed by paying attention to how the two AI players on our team act, is that unlike the enemy team who all work together to stomp our faces in, the two on our team seem to play like the three of us aren't even there and it's a 2 on 5 game. That being said, we definitely have a lot to learn and could use a few pointers from someone who knows their head from their ass, I wouldn't mind walking away from a game of DOTA and not feeling like Tina Turner after a round with Ike. What's your steam name?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Name is higgins, the picture is Cutty Wise from the wire.
Fuck Michigan!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:But we, as "hardcore" gamers, have to understand that attitude to a degree. I mean, take EQ as an example. If some fuckup showed up to your group and fucked everything up, everyone would be kind of be a dick to them.
Depends. I'd probably be offering them advice on what they could be doing differently. If they refuse to listen and continue being total asshats then I'd probably kick them from the group or go find something else to do.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Fairweather Pure wrote:But we, as "hardcore" gamers, have to understand that attitude to a degree. I mean, take EQ as an example. If some fuckup showed up to your group and fucked everything up, everyone would be kind of be a dick to them. Same with any game out there that is team dependent. Stat checkers and shamers are kind of prevalent in any team based game. Hell, WoW has ilvl gear scores to shame people. Even achievements or lack thereof are used to shit on people in various games.
You choose who you're raiding with in EQ and WOW. If you pug you can't complain if you get complete newbs. You are on a level playing field with them when it comes to matching. People who pug in LoL or DOTA 2 and get matched with shitty players and complain about it need to stop pugging or get over themselves.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zamtuk wrote:Name is higgins, the picture is Cutty Wise from the wire.
I added you, or at least I think it was you. My name is Topshotta47.