Star Wars The Old Republic Coordination Station

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Star Wars The Old Republic Coordination Station

Post by Boogahz »

You really ARE delusional if you think Blizzard shows anything remotely in the realm of "not slow" when it comes to development and release of content and features.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That wasn't a troll at all.
Blizzard HAS been glacially slow when it comes to releasing content.

In 7+ years, WOW has had 3 expansions.
In the same time-frame, EQ2 released 8 expansions and 3 adventure packs... Not to mention significant content updates every 4-6 months.
LOTRO has had 4 expansions in 5+ years
Aion has had 2 expansions in 2+
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You really ARE delusional if you think Blizzard shows anything remotely in the realm of "not slow" when it comes to development and release of content and features.
Like his opinions on portable gaming, Fairweathers opinions on MMOs are based on ignorance.
He's only ever played EQ and WOW.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

>just signed up for Hello Kitty online!
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I think GW2 actually will do rather well with the sub fee-free deal. The mentoring and cross server PVP is also sounding pretty rad. However, I just do not think I can go the high-fantasy route again. that said, if Secret World ends up sucking (re: Funcom), I may give it a whirl.

Man it would have been great if the TOR folks would have listened to the people that actually make them money.

The only games I have ever seen people actually re-sub are WoW, EQ and EQ2. Rift, TOR, Conan etc, while quite cool in their own ways, simply let their egos get in the way of having a successful game. Both raved about "omg such a perfect launch!!11" that they forgot how quickly a skilled gamer (or even unskilled) can eat through content, get bored and find a new sandbox to play in all before their free month expires.
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

At least you know ArenaNet is motivated to put out quality expansions because they need the box sales.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I don't think Blizzard would have done better financially with WOW if they released content faster. Besides, it takes time and patience to purposely create art as bad as WOW's.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Lol. It is pretty bad. It was fun as shit for a while though. I remember you made a good ogre w/rifle. I had a blast with Ixtlan!

You going to check out The Secret World, Kyo? Beta is pretty fucking fun!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

miir wrote:
Like his opinions on portable gaming, Fairweathers opinions on MMOs are based on ignorance.
He's only ever played EQ and WOW.

Just saw this, sorry for the late reply.

I've played quite a few MMOs. However, I haven't played them all and the ones I did play were only for a short amount of time. Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars, EQ2, EVE, City of Heroes, LotR, and some other korean one I don't even remeber the name of. I may have played more than 1 of those korean games, they all feel really samey to me. I'll try Star Wars some day, no doubt. Oh, I played Matrix Online too. That game was as dense as EQ at the start IMO. No directions, tutorial was shit, and you just kind of had to figure everything out on your own.

Basically, I just dabbled here and there. The longest one I played was CoH for about 3-4 months. I never really got a chance to see any of them rise and fall or experience improvements and nerfs, but I believe I got the gist of each one. Well, I guess I saw a mass exodus from CoH. I never played any long term because WoW just did everything better IMO. I am not sick and tired of the formula. I enjoy the content, gameplay, graphics, and my guild. I was never even in a guild in any of those other MMOs except CoH and my brother's guild thing in EVE. It is really going to take something drastically different/better than WoW to pull me away. GW2 has me curious, but I honestly do not know if I can stomach yet another fantasy MMO. I'll try it though!

Speaking of new MMOs, will anyone else be playing Planetside 2? It going to be FTP and it looked pretty good at E3. I plan on giving it a go!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So server xfers have gone live, but are very limited right now. Given that two of the early destination servers are The Fatman and Jedi Council, it appears that they are going to try to consolidate into relatively few, very high population servers. Which is exactly what the game needs, but they need to keep expanding the list, and I'm not talking once a month.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

they made those two servers destination servers? that's ludicrous; they are already the two busiest servers. They are going to overload them and people who just transferred their dudes are going to be sitting in queues.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Hell, even if they had the correct transfer strategy, it seems a bit late, eh?

Complete fuckery by Bio/EA on this--didn't learn a damn thing from others...not like there haven't been many MMO failures over the last several years.
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Speaking of new MMOs, will anyone else be playing Planetside 2? It going to be FTP and it looked pretty good at E3. I plan on giving it a go!

Already signed up for the beta on that one. I know I intend to play it after release with the FTP.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

masteen wrote:So server xfers have gone live, but are very limited right now.
They should've been a bit faster, already canceled. Reason given in the exit survey? "Your servers are empty...."

Might come back after I finish D3. Rift and Vanguard might get another look too.

Amazing they hosed this up so well.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Vanguard is still alive?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Vanguard is still alive?
Played for a while last summer(?) when I got bored with EQ2. Really nice game at that point, they got it together eventually. Needs a relaunch/respin of some sort to get anyplace.

Has a mix of normal players and rabid fanbois.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Vanguard is getting a FTP makeover as well. It should be happening soon.

I really like my SOE all access account. allows me to futz around with a bunch of games when i'm not playing regular eq
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Just in time for the server transfers.

http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/154/2 ... d13-1.html

Free to play this soon. Death knell for the subscription-fee? What can they possibly do to create meaningful transactions on the f2p level that won't impede on the storyline aspect of this game?

Unlocking quest hubs/planets, ala Turbine and LOTRO? Frankly, I'm drawing a blank since the entire experience is wrapped up in the storyline of your character.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Kaldaur wrote:Just in time for the server transfers.

http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/154/2 ... d13-1.html
Outdated speculation and bullshit. Free trial to level 15. Not F2P.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/30 ... ree-trials
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

masteen wrote:Outdated speculation and bullshit. Free trial to level 15. Not F2P.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/30 ... ree-trials
That was then.. This is now!
BioWare's massively multiplayer online RPG Star Wars: The Old Republic will go free-to-play this fall, publisher Electronic Arts said today. The game will be available for $15 starting this August, including a month of free play.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Not surprising one bit! May log in again this fall. It is a great game, aside from the fact that most folks stopped playing a month after release.

I am guessing that any sort of fancy expansion isn't on the menu however.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The free-to-play version of the game amounts to a very limited trial account with no level cap.

Limited character options, limited to number of warzones, space missions and flash-points the can complete per week.
No raid content, limited travel options and very limited GTN access.

Fine for casual players and enough to hook potential subscribers.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I have no interest in free to play games that cripple core content and hide it behind a pay wall. I'm more than willing to pay for cosmetic stuff and quality of life improvements, but I won't even bother with it if I have to pay just to raid or do raids or PVP. I guess that's a drawback of hacking free to play into a game built around a subscription model, but some games have pulled it off.

that said, TOR is still a pretty good game worth paying monthly for so whatever

It's just a shame big publishers and developers don't pay top money for the best talent any more.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:I have no interest in free to play games that cripple core content and hide it behind a pay wall. I'm more than willing to pay for cosmetic stuff and quality of life improvements, but I won't even bother with it if I have to pay just to raid or do raids or PVP. I guess that's a drawback of hacking free to play into a game built around a subscription model, but some games have pulled it off.

that said, TOR is still a pretty good game worth paying monthly for so whatever

It's just a shame big publishers and developers don't pay top money for the best talent any more.
:vv_yeahthat:

Well said.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I don't give a christ-gloryhole about limited content/caps either. Really all they needed to do was servermerge in February. Huttball was pretty rad--when on a half decent team. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

CBF downloading something like 15Gb to even look at it more than the hour I played it at a friend's house...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I started playing it again last week.
Since I never went through any of the empire storylines, I picked up playing my bounty hunter.
Harbinger always had a pretty healthy population but since the server merge, it's just packed.

Like Kyou said, it's a solid game... totally worth the $15/month.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Seems pretty limited. I still occasionally play Aion and that went free to play a few months ago. I'm not even sure what the restrictions are because I can't tell any difference except that they stopped charging me a monthly fee. They keep pumping out expansions etc. with solid support.

SWTOR is a solid game. Even with the limitations, the free version should be enough to determine if it's worth it to you to go through more than the initial storylines.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Looks like the ftp is limited enough to not be so useful to a returning player.

I'd play again on a high-pop server, at least to not have to sit in PVP queues for far too long. Will see how GW2 does first though...
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'd resub if they made it $10 a month instead of $15. My sub ends on the 17th of this month. No plans on renewing it. I'll see what GW2 is like first. That and Mechwarrior Online.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah, I used to think the subs were reasonable for maintaining all that infrastructure 24/7 and bandwidth. Then Netflix happened at $8-9/month and it seems like massive gouging...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I'd resub if they made it $10 a month instead of $15. My sub ends on the 17th of this month. No plans on renewing it. I'll see what GW2 is like first. That and Mechwarrior Online.
MWO is even more dependent on teammates to cover for the weaknesses of each other. So it sucks balls because most gamers are stupid shitcocks who run straight at the enemy because they love taking LRM facials, leaving my long-range Atlas to be picked apart by Jenners.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Yeah MWO will take some getting used to once it is released. I am praying that they get the joysticks working soon. I just can't play that game with the keyboard and mouse as well.

I resubbed for Swtor for another month. Mainly because my daughter still wants to play and get her character story complete before she stops playing. I'm ok with that.

The game that I am not playing anymore but am very impressed with is RIFT. They are constantly adding new content and giving the players all kinds of information, whereas we hear nothing from swtor.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

been waiting on an MWO invite. I didn't want to plop money on a Founders package just for that. I've been too disappointed by the ultimate demise of past Battletech online games. :(
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Last, but certainly not least, our Free-to-Play option has arrived! For players who want to experience the dynamic world of Star Wars: The Old Republic without committing to a monthly fee, there is a truly viable option to experience all of the incredible content the game has to offer. Free-to-Play players can now play all eight classes up to level 50 without committing to a monthly fee.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

EA just released some numbers on this game. There are 500,000 paid subscribers and 1.7 million free players. They also said it is profitable.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I have reinstalled the game and logged in. I'm not paying a subscription so I had to go in as a free player. What I found is that you can only activate 2 of your existing toons. Your money is capped at 350k the remainder of your funds are in escrow; for me that is about 3mil on one of my toons. You are denied access to some of the highend gear. You can't level past 50.99 unless you buy the expansion. I had to change my name due to the server consolidation. All my skill points have been refunded. I got 220 cartel tokens.

Still not sure if I am going to play. I only downloaded again because I have some friends at work who still play and need me as an option when they can't find a 4th. I haven't really done anything else on there since.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I still played fairly regularly and had a decently raid equipped sith warrior tank. I got the expansion, levelled up to 55, did a couple of hard modes and quit.

I'm not sure why these MMO designers keep making daily content you have to grind every day so hard. It's not that it isn't doable, but you need a decent set up of decently equipped smart players, and even then the new hard modes take to fucking long. I don't want to have CC every pull and I don't need to fuck around with insta kill boss mechanics. I just want my fucking badges. I saw myself grinding those new shiftfests every day for six months on top of the spread out new daily quests and I just don't have the energy. All these WOW-clone MMO's are such an unrewarding grind.