Blizzcon 2011

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Blizzcon 2011

Post by Aslanna »

Yes. Furor does hate Monks. It took Monks forever to recover in EQ after he got us nerfed in Velious. Somewhere around there anyway. He got all pissy about a Monk 'tanking' AoW and threw a fit.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote: and threw a fit.
I don't believe that for a second!
That's so unlike him.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

man

that guy's bed wetting tantrums were legendary. I'm still a little nonplussed that an actual mmorpg developer hired him. that was some of the saddest shit I have ever seen an adult male act like.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:man

that guy's bed wetting tantrums were legendary. I'm still a little nonplussed that an actual mmorpg developer hired him. that was some of the saddest shit I have ever seen an adult male act like.
Totally agree, but it wa always funny in a pathetic kind of way. He looks like a real life Eric Cartman so the attitude kinda fits though.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Say what you want about Furor/Alex, but he's not fat. He's actually kinda hot.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

All I remember of him is the picture of him leveling to 50 first with thirty or forty cans of mountain dew in his room.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Furor was one of my favorite characters in Veeshan's "Rogues Gallery"!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:Say what you want about Furor/Alex, but he's not fat. He's actually kinda hot.
Neither is Eric, he's big boned.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

When I was a young shaman, I imbued some jades for some person who was making armor for Furor. I had no idea who Furor was, nor Fires of Heaven, at the time of imbuing these jades.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Cool story, dude!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:When I was a young shaman, I imbued some jades for some person who was making armor for Furor. I had no idea who Furor was, nor Fires of Heaven, at the time of imbuing these jades.

You had a brush with a person who had a brush with someone who was famous on an EQ server! Have you also shook the hand of someone who shook the hand of a president?
Here's Furor big face, handy as a dartboard

Submitted by Abalieno on November 1, 2005 - 06:35.

I like to put a face on devs or people I know only through words. Not like it tells you much more, but it's always interesting to finally see someone after you have passed so much time reading and discussing about imaginative figures.

This in general. Of course I wasn't particularly interested to see Furor's big face, but this is what I got today (assuming my guess is correct). Looking like a slightly oversized version of Clark Kent. It was somewhat amusing to see the FoH's guys going: "Who is Alex?"

Alex being Alex Afrasiabi. No, not that guy in Might armor in the Valley of Heroes right outside Stormwind, that's only his e-peen. This being the real one, Furor, former leader of the "Fires of Heaven" catass-stereotype guild and pensionate EverQuest ranter that finished to get hired by Blizzard. He is a quest designer now. Or at least he was. Maybe he got a promotion and joined the fun trio, or maybe he is just working his ass off to get there and command the team to replace the sun with his big smiling face during the sunny days in WoW.

And now we even discover that Foton's favourite scapegoat may even be responsible of some nice content. UNPOSSIBLE! That's one of the signs of the Apocalypse. In fact we know that he is responsible for everything broken in Alterac Valley! We need scapegoats after all. And one definitely isn't enough.

Well, from this other report we can finally blame him about something concrete: "Alex designed the Dire Maul Tribute Run." Wait. It cannot be. That cannot even remotely live up to his reputation. Honestly, I don't remember anything in particular about DM North. There's nothing about it sticking out. Neither good nor bad. It's a fairly decent run, not too long with a couple of good ideas. If he designed Gnomeragon I would have to praise him but I didn't get any particular feelings from DM. So there, I don't have much of an opinion, you can have your own.

It's also worth noting that the lead designer is now Tigole. What happened to Rob Pardo and Allen Adham? Good or not, this seems to be the new Blizzard. It's interesting how the innovation could come from here. Passionate players with some crazy ideas and with almost no practical experience as devs. Maybe Blizzard dared a bit and gave these guys a possibility. Maybe the worth of the game is the result of those choices and not in spite of them.

You know that it's what I would like to believe.

I'll end with a quote from MIA Anyuzer:

The end result is this. Online, Furor was an asslord. A monkey fucker if you will. A loud mouthed, egotistical, over the top bastard, and hardcore gamers loved him for it. In real life? Probably has a massive amount of knowledge in his head, loves MMOGs (obviously to stick around for so long) and wanted to get into the industry. He kept his eyes open, saw an opportunity, went for it, and made the right impression. Now he’s involved with what he loves, and everything he’s vocally screamed about in the past is pretty much a non issue. Good luck man, don’t make quests that suck.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:Have you also shook the hand of someone who shook the hand of a president?
I shook Arnold Schwarzenegger's hand in Kuwait.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Games industry is the last bastion of high income careers for insufferable man-children who's daddy didn't pay enough attention to them. Unless you are a professional athlete. I'm glad he got his job at Blizzard. He seems to be doing a lot better than when he first started. I remember in the wow beta, pretty much every zone in the game was impossible to be in because there was some variation of one of Furor's characters spamming the zone with shouts and morphing into dragons. Stranglethorn was like a giant fucking Furor vanity license plate. You couldn't even use the chat window because 30 seconds after zoning in it was just 30 pages of "Kartak Dwarfdefiler" shouting across entire zone. The whole fucking continent smelled like his farts. I think he thought he was Kevin Spacey at the oscar's after American Beauty came out.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Well, Furor is older now and with age and change of lifestyle our physiques change, even i have became fat now, something i'd never think i would be when i was 25-30 when i was training and eating right.

Back in the day of early EQ he wasn't ripped by any means, but lean.

No fat at all.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:Games industry is the last bastion of high income careers for insufferable man-children who's daddy didn't pay enough attention to them. Unless you are a professional athlete. I'm glad he got his job at Blizzard. He seems to be doing a lot better than when he first started. I remember in the wow beta, pretty much every zone in the game was impossible to be in because there was some variation of one of Furor's characters spamming the zone with shouts and morphing into dragons. Stranglethorn was like a giant fucking Furor vanity license plate. You couldn't even use the chat window because 30 seconds after zoning in it was just 30 pages of "Kartak Dwarfdefiler" shouting across entire zone. The whole fucking continent smelled like his farts. I think he thought he was Kevin Spacey at the oscar's after American Beauty came out.
:lol: :lol:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

One of Tigole's crew let go?!? Can Furor be far behind?!?

Rumor: Senior Titan designer laid off by Blizzard
by Jef Reahard on Nov 7th 2011 4:15PM

The recent spate of MMO industry layoffs isn't discriminating in terms of company size if the latest rumors are true. We've just been informed that one of Blizzard's golden boys has been served his walking papers, joining hundreds of devs from the likes of NCsoft, GamersFirst, GameForge, and CCP in recent weeks.

John Staats, the senior level designer on Blizzard's secretive Titan project, has been let go, according to our tipster. Staats has been with the company for over a decade and is responsible for some of W
orld of Warcraft's most celebrated content including all the raid dungeons, Blackrock Mountain and Booty Bay, and numerous other instanced dungeons.

Staats was also described by Jeff Kaplan as the "hero of the WoW dev team."
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I doubt he was laid off in the same fashion as NCSoft and CCP developers. Blizzard's headquarters was actually build out of banded stacks of $100 bills instead of bricks and they are dumping money into Titan. He probably pissed off some mid-level producer at Activision who is currently giving Bobby Kotick regular blowjobs and got fired.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

He'll probably be unemployed for a week and a half.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

miir wrote:I can't really understand how giving any company $40 to listen to them hype their products online can be considered a 'good deal'.

I agree. I really want to go to Blizzcon next year if I can make the time for it, but I wouldn't pay to watch it. At this point, I'd be happy just being able to laugh at the fatties \ uggos from my server who think they are the shit. Saw pics from the bleeding hollow meetup at blizzcon with someone listing a lot of the people there with their character names. Jesus Christ, the bigger the troll, the uglier and fatter they were...I think they were actually starting to turn in to trolls.

Then again, some of the cooler people (especially the cooler female players) looked nice. Well groomed, attractive, and not obese.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

so the fat people and ugly people were fat and ugly and the cool people were good looking? I am just clarifying.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

kyoukan wrote:so the fat people and ugly people were fat and ugly and the cool people were good looking? I am just clarifying.
Especially the cooler females!