Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

Post by Winnow »

Never played Magic games before, card or on PC.

This one seems well put together. This won't appeal to many but if you played the card game, you might like this version. Has nice tutorial and UI seems smooth.

Try it here:

http://www.rlslog.net/magic-the-gatheri ... 2-skidrow/

Or buy it on steam. Small file size with it being a card game.

Took me a few tries to beat the first opponent in the campaign. Got the hang of it now. Lots of pre made decks with unlockable additional decks in game. No need to buy extra caeds, etc.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Playing it on the PS3

It's fun!

New mode from 2009 is the Archenemy-mode!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Playing it on the PS3

It's fun!

New mode from 2009 is the Archenemy-mode!

Nice! I'm having some success using the Ancient Depths deck. Need to get land quickly (well who doesn't!) and then there are a lot of high level cards. There's also a lot of cards allowing you to get extra land so it's a matter of how the cards fall.

I'm using a blue guy with horns as my Avatar

edit:

hmmm , just read this that some thing that deck overpowered with a 10/10 indestructible card but you still need to get it to drop and the land to play it!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/624321-/59471023
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I just had great battle against Garruk Wildspeaker.

He somehow managed to build himself up to 38 points and I was down to 7 and I had nothing on the table. Something he had out on the table was increasing his life each round. I kept hanging in there, building land, defending just enough to stay alive, got a streak of cards that pumped me up to 20 land on the playing field and then the high level cards started popping up in my deck. Weeee.

I had full two rows of monster cards played (some sort of cloning monster card filled a lot of spaces with 1/1 mobs which I kept throwing at his attacks to hold him off...sort of like the Irish were used (expendable) in Braveheart. I served up a mighty beat down that took out his 38 points in just a few turns.

That was a fun round. Definitely some strategy to this. It's going to be hard for me to not use this Ancient Depths deck. Liking its build!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

The Ancient Depths-Deck is Overpowered!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/ ... pid=624321

Seems like the Best Chance of defeating an Ancient Depths-player is Realm of Illusion
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:The Ancient Depths-Deck is Overpowered!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/ ... pid=624321

Seems like the Best Chance of defeating an Ancient Depths-player is Realm of Illusion
omg! you found the link to the same thread I posted too! That independently verifies the existence of the thread from gamfaqs! :grab:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have played several of the Magic games that came out before...most sucked. This was the first one that really felt like it worked. The only problem I had was not being familiar with some of the "traits" that were added after I stopped playing. Very cool game though. I have thought about picking it up on Steam a few times.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Do I still have to drop $400 every 4 months to stay competitive?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I play this on xbla. My name there is foodsend if anyone wants to progress on the multiplayer campaign.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The best was the first. The win 95 game where you ran around a map with a basic deck and fought mobs to win cards. Then you went into dungeons and got more rare cards off of bosses.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Bubba Grizz wrote:The best was the first. The win 95 game where you ran around a map with a basic deck and fought mobs to win cards. Then you went into dungeons and got more rare cards off of bosses.
I remember playing that one.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:The best was the first. The win 95 game where you ran around a map with a basic deck and fought mobs to win cards. Then you went into dungeons and got more rare cards off of bosses.
That sounds pretty cool.

There was a game similar to MTG on Xbox 360 early on that is a lot of fun to play:

Culdcept Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvO6YfTChok

Card list:

http://www.culdceptcentral.com/index.ph ... Itemid=118

That poor quality video gives good idea of the gameplay although they're going fast. It's card based, you can enhance your cards, level your monsters up, etc. Lots of fun if you like card based strategy games.

----------------------

I'm really liking Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. Thinking I'm going to buy it on Xbox soon. Great value for $10.00. My hardest challenge was going up against Kiora Atua, who was using the same Ancient Depths deck I use. Another annoying deck was the fire lady...her deck was full of direct damage to player spells. That's kinda of messed up. There's no way to defend those type cards and she had a bunch of them.

I'm sticking with the Ancient Depths deck. Playing through the campaign gives you a great way to get familiar with all the other decks/cards in the game. I'm going to try some other decks out after I complete the campaign. I did remove about 8 cards from my deck after going head to head with Kiora Atua and learning some things about my own deck by playing against it.

The next time I see some nerds sitting at a table playing MTG, I'll give them a knowing, "nod". They won't see it because those fucking nerds are too into the game to notice anything or anyone else! Great game. I don't think I'd want to keep track of things in the actual card game but in digital form, it's a blast.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I still have a copy of that one in a box somewhere. Fun stuff.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I somehow got hooked into mtg online a few years back and my wife never ceases to remind me of how huge a nerd I am whenever she sees me play it - but it is a fun game. If anyone else plays mtgo - lemme know. If anyone wants to get started there, pm me and I will send you a bunch of commons to help you get started.
Winnow wrote:
That sounds pretty cool.

There was a game similar to MTG on Xbox 360 early on that is a lot of fun to play:

Culdcept Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvO6YfTChok

Card list:

http://www.culdceptcentral.com/index.ph ... Itemid=118

That poor quality video gives good idea of the gameplay although they're going fast. It's card based, you can enhance your cards, level your monsters up, etc. Lots of fun if you like card based strategy games.

----------------------

I'm really liking Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. Thinking I'm going to buy it on Xbox soon. Great value for $10.00. My hardest challenge was going up against Kiora Atua, who was using the same Ancient Depths deck I use. Another annoying deck was the fire lady...her deck was full of direct damage to player spells. That's kinda of messed up. There's no way to defend those type cards and she had a bunch of them.

I'm sticking with the Ancient Depths deck. Playing through the campaign gives you a great way to get familiar with all the other decks/cards in the game. I'm going to try some other decks out after I complete the campaign. I did remove about 8 cards from my deck after going head to head with Kiora Atua and learning some things about my own deck by playing against it.

The next time I see some nerds sitting at a table playing MTG, I'll give them a knowing, "nod". They won't see it because those fucking nerds are too into the game to notice anything or anyone else! Great game. I don't think I'd want to keep track of things in the actual card game but in digital form, it's a blast.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There's always Legends of Norrath!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--