FFXIV Beta (The BEST FFXIV Thread)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: FFXIV Beta (The BEST FFXIV Thread)

Post by Boogahz »

I already told him that I named my cat after him because he's a sassy bastard that won't shut up :P

(both miirs are)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Haha, nice! Yeah maybe in a month or two when they open up server transfers if you guys stick around me and my buddies will move over. You'll have to let me know what you think.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The demon wall can suck me.

That is all.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

so is this game worth getting or what
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think so.

Negatives:
-There are still some server issues, but tomorrow they are upgrading more of their infrastructure and are implementing a timer to kick people out that are afk. Most people seem to not ever be logging out of the game which is a big part of the reason people are still having login issues.
-If you play on the PS3 (I'm assuming you wouldn't), you're going to have a more difficult time with the game than someone on the PS3, particularly for certain classes. Targeting sucks on the PS3 from what I hear, and due to how the game handles loading things on screen to avoid performance issues, I guess people complain about not seeing mobs at a lot of the FATES (random group events). FATES are fun, and are also the best source of experience, so that's a downside for sure.
-Since it's still within the free 30 (37 now) days you get for buying the game, you have all the MMO hoppers that are also mostly huge douchebags, and they are negatively impacting the game. They should be gone in another couple of weeks though, so oh well.
-Dungeons (this only occurs in the level 50 dungeons) are kinda frustrating right now. All of the people that rushed to 50 in the first week the game was out are already farming them to get tokens for raid gear. Due to the game design, they all do speed runs of dungeons, so if you use the dungeon finder queue, odds are the group you get into will do this. Basically this consists of everyone running to the first boss, the tanking dying, and then getting rez'd to skip everything but the bosses. The trash mobs don't drop anything and repair bills are high. This sucks, but hopefully once more people get to 50 this won't be as common, but it does lead to next point:
-The economy could use some work. There are a lot of ways to take money out of the game economy (repair bills, teleporting, vendors, etc) but not ways to actually bring money into the game economy (note, I'm not saying there isn't way to make yourself money). This is again only an issue once you hit 50 and start getting 5k gold repair bills per dungeon run. I'm guessing due to the amount of complaining about this though, it'll be one of the first things addressed.

Positives:
I've touched on what I like already, but really the game is a lot of fun. The localization team did a phenomenal job with this game, there are little things buried in all the conversations throughout the game. The main story takes you all the way to level 50, and it is really well done.

Leveling to max level is pretty quick compared to MMO's, but that's because you're going to want to level more than one class/job on the same character due to how the game is set up. You can use abilities between similar classes to give yourself a lot more utility. The quest system, map, everything is really well laid out, there is a ton of content, the dungeons are challenging (again, fuck the demon wall).

I'd recommend it for sure.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:I already told him that I named my cat after him because he's a sassy bastard that won't shut up :P

(both miirs are)
Have you got the game yet? If not, could you check with the people you know that are playing and see if they are having login issues? I'm playing with two buddies, one of which is in Japan (we are on a japanese server), and he's still having serious issues being able to login. If things clear up after the patch tomorrow like I'm hoping, it won't matter, but otherwise we might want to transfer. But if it's just going to trade him having troubles for the rest of us having troubles logging in, I won't bother.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Still haven't picked it up since they still have digital download locked. I'll try to remember to ask a few people about login issues when I get home from work.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:Still haven't picked it up since they still have digital download locked. I'll try to remember to ask a few people about login issues when I get home from work.
Thanks! Hopefully they get the digital sales opened back up soon, it sounded like that was the plan last I heard (after the patch last week).
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I want to be a pugilist. Are pugilists so awesome~
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Like, totally!

Pugilist (and probably monk later on I'd assume) are awesome, it's also one of the more difficult classes to play because you've gotta change position for a lot of your moves (some need to be done from the side, some from behind, etc).
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

No signs of login difficulty
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nice, thanks for checking! Now I just need to find out if the post I read on the forums about not being able to transfer between EU/NA and Japanese servers is true.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It sounds like digital sales will resume again next week, so that's good! Server population dropped a little when they started charging legacy people for subscriptions this past week, too, which is also good.

I've been leveling up Bard now, I think I've decided I'm going to main this instead of lancer. When it comes to some of the mechanic heavy fights later in the game, it can be really frustrating playing a lancer due to positioning mattering for a lot of your moves (monks have it even worse). With bard I can offer a little support, do just as much dps, and be able to stand back, and stand still (aside from avoiding fight mechanics, obviously). After I get bard to 50, I'll probably work on getting my crafting up a bit.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Amazon had digital sales available yesterday
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Still playing the shit out of this game, and loving it. There are definitely some things I'd like to see changed, and in fact they're doing a patch on the 14/15th that will address some of them.

Boog - is you guys server legacy or no? Apparently I can't transfer to non legacy servers since they don't want legacy players fucking up the economy on new servers, and are too lazy to be selective about who has enough money/material to actually do that (I don't). I guess they'll open these transfers up "eventually" but who knows when that will be.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I honestly don't remember. Once I was able to get in-game, it started losing my interest. I can't really say what it was, but the classes I had the opportunity to play weren't of much interest. Then the limits on alts based on the server dragged things down more.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That's too bad! Although I don't know why you would ever play more than one character, except I guess to make the money off the main story missions. On my one character, I am now around level 20 in many of the trades, 50 dragoon, 50 bard, and working on 50 white mage.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I just couldn't force myself to get to 15 which would let me travel to the other cities to train additional classes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I just couldn't force myself to get to 15 which would let me travel to the other cities to train additional classes.
That's the worse part of the game design (class based starting cities). Very poor decision and definitely hurt it's ability to draw in friends that wanted to start together. You want to hook new players, not cause frustration. They only hurt themselves with it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I just couldn't force myself to get to 15 which would let me travel to the other cities to train additional classes.
That's the worse part of the game design (class based starting cities). Very poor decision and definitely hurt it's ability to draw in friends that wanted to start together. You want to hook new players, not cause frustration. They only hurt themselves with it.
I have literally not heard that complaint anywhere but from you, and I assure you it's had no noticeable effect on subscriptions. Getting to 15 takes a couple of hours, if you're taking your time. I think I went from 1-15 as archer in under 10 minutes, and that was with no quests.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
I have literally not heard that complaint anywhere but from you, and I assure you it's had no noticeable effect on subscriptions. Getting to 15 takes a couple of hours, if you're taking your time. I think I went from 1-15 as archer in under 10 minutes, and that was with no quests.
Not really looking to bash the game in general as it's an above average MMO but if you're starting the game with friends, which I assume many will, the 15 levels you spend before meeting up with your friend(s) sucks unless you want to be the same class. "First Impressions" matter. People like to quest and play together. It's more like an entire day of playing, like 6-8 hours, not 2 as a newbie player, figuring out all of the systems UI, etc.

I don't see the need for it. There's really no benefit from forcing classes to start in certain areas except to see a bunch of the exact same class running around as a newbie which only detracts from the fun and environment.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's largely done that way because the guilds are spread throughout the three cities, and that is done for purposes of the lore (archers are forest living folk/Gridania). I see no problem with this, as the couple of hours (there's something wrong with you if it takes longer) it takes to adjust to the game and go through the first 15 levels are better spent by yourself, in my opinion.

When I want to play with friends is and dungeons and crap, particularly at higher levels - you know, where you spend most of your time. Leveling to max level is so fast in this game that the first 49 levels are basically a tutorial that you should breeze through, even taking your time to enjoy the storyline.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PS4!
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn launches for PS4 on April 14th, 2014. Many players have questions about the beta, as well as the PS3-to-PS4 transfer process for accounts. Folks were wondering who could participate in the beta, if they could use existing characters, if they needed an existing account, or could jump right in.

Okay, let’s get started with some information:
Beta Info

Phase 1: February 22nd to March 3rd.
Phase 2: April 4th to April 7th.
Japanese Standard Time assumed for all dates.
The beta will be accessible for everyone with a PS4, and directly downloadable from PlayStation Store.
There will be a character wipe after phase 1.
Players who made their character in beta phase two will be able to bring this data to the retail version.
PS3 and PC players of FFXIV will be able to transfer character data to the PS4 (please note that this is only necessary for the beta — in the retail version, all players will play on the same servers).

PS3 to PS4 transfer

The transfer service is scheduled to begin Friday, April 11th, 2014. Please be aware that after transferring to the PS4 you’ll be unable to play the PS3 version using your existing copy. Users who wish to play using both the PS3 and PS4 are required to purchase the PS4 version separately. Users who own multiple service accounts for the PS3 can transfer all accounts to the PS4. Users transferring their accounts will have access during the early access period, scheduled from April 11th to the 13th. Please note: to transfer your PS3 account, you must have logged into it from a PS3 at least once.

PS4 features

Upgraded graphics on the PS4 in glorious 1080p (see trailer).
PS Vita Remote Play — craft, gather, and play wherever you go.
Share-support — stream your gameplay or share screenshots.
Mouse & Keyboard Support — switching over from a PC? No problem!
Touchpad-Support — the touchpad of Dualshock 4 is fully supported.
Last edited by Aslanna on February 12, 2014, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks good. I'll be checking this out. FFXIV graphics are fantastic in comparison to the latest FF game Lightning Returns. The world is vibrant and fun to explore. Worth checking out for free in beta if you haven't since the the game was overhauled.

From what I recall, the 360 controller was OK to work with the PC version of FFXIV although I'd still prefer using the dedicated Saitek Controller if that was an option.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Controller is ok for some. I personally find it too cumbersome, unless you have a ton of macros, which isn't my thing. Particularly for tanking though, some people claim to be able to do it just fine in endgame, but many people aren't interested in grouping with people using a controller.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Graphics comparison between PS3, PS4 and PC

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/16/fi ... ps3-ps4-pc

PS4 pretty much looks as good as the PC. PS3 looks crappy as expected compared to the other two.

Someone said the PS4 controls are great. Not sure if they differ much from the PS3. I know the controller is a lot better on the PS4 ergonomically at least than the PS3 for long MMO sessions.

FFXIV is a rare recent Final Fantasy game that isn't a flop.

If you watch the video above, watch in in 1080p. I know that should go without saying, but it's amazing how many people still watch streaming videos in low res.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:PS4 pretty much looks as good as the PC. PS3 looks crappy as expected compared to the other two.
The PS3 version surprisingly doesn't look that bad. It's just not as sharp as the other two. I'm a bit surprised considering they have what, 258MB of graphics memory on the PS3 and 3.5-4GB available on the PS4? I'd be more interested in a framerate comparison.
Whaaaaat? Uh. Where were you 3.5 years ago? It was pretty much the definiton of a flop. The producer resigned! It sounds like they did a good job at getting feedback and redoing it but I don't think you can give them a free pass on the first version.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:PS4 pretty much looks as good as the PC. PS3 looks crappy as expected compared to the other two.
The PS3 version surprisingly doesn't look that bad. It's just not as sharp as the other two. I'm a bit surprised considering they have what, 258MB of graphics memory on the PS3 and 3.5-4GB available on the PS4? I'd be more interested in a framerate comparison.
Whaaaaat? Uh. Where were you 3.5 years ago? It was pretty much the definiton of a flop. The producer resigned! It sounds like they did a good job at getting feedback and redoing it but I don't think you can give them a free pass on the first version.
I'm referring to FFXIV after they completely revamped it. It sucked originally (can read my comments about the original on this or some other thread from back then)

from first post on this thread:
[Show]
I've been playing the FFXIV beta and its horrible.

The Good:

-Looks pretty
-Nice Cut scenes (there's your kiss of death if that's the best thing I can come up with

The Bad:

-User Interface is atrocious
-Text/Click bubble hell. So long and boring you quit reading them and click as fast as you can to get to end.
-Horrible quest system
-Horrible Inventory system
-You can't jump in the game. Space bar enters you into chat mode which is frustrating.
-Below average character generation system...no slider, you get 1-5 choices for face, hair, etc.
-Everyone pretty much looks the same
-Combat system blows
-----

PS3 is really blurry compared to the PS4 and PC. It's not even close. The art design itself looks good so the PS3 version looks good in the sense that the game graphics are well done but playing it on PS3 would be like forgetting to put on your glasses if you wear them. (or like rolling out of bed dehydrated after being puking drunk the night before and then trying to play the game with dry eyes)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I haven't had much time for video games lately, this included; but I'm looking forward to logging back in and trying out some of the new shit they added in the most recent content patch.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Miiiiir, if you see this pm me or message me on PSN or something. Wanna see if you punks are still playing, I don't know many people on the server I'm on and a lot of english speaking people transferred off of my server recently (including a big chunk of the FC I'm in).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Hate hate hate hate hate Titan extreme mode. I'm thinking about transferring to a north American server just because of this fight.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Miir - if you see this and any of you fools are still on Gilgamesh, I transferred there tonight. Most I know transferred off the server I was on to various other servers, and the others quit. Looking at populations/etc it looked like this was a good choice.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't play this game but the they did a nice job on creating 60 new outfits for the Heavensward expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBI4YP5A8Q

Note: I love the beginning of this thread. I played and reviewed FFXIV and said how bad it was. I got tons of flack telling me how wrong I was before Square acknowledged it was a piece of shit and took it offline for a year+ to try and make a real game out of it. Of course, it was mainly Miir (who's now been replaced by Funk) doing his usual bit.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

This game is still better than whatever you're playing, for the record; particularly if you're playing Destiny. The Heavensward expansion has been awesome so far, I've leveled Scholar to 60 and been through most of the content (still haven't done Alexander savage or the extreme mode primals). There aren't a lot of dungeons for level 60 yet, but they've had a really good track record adding a ton of content each major patch. I'm going to have to break down and join a FC/Guild here to do some of the content I haven't done yet, cause randoms definitely aren't taking that shit down.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:This game is still better than whatever you're playing.
Nope

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I guess now you can play 8 characters/any class up to level 35 for free in FFXIV. May eventually check it out again but busy with a lot of other games right now. Seems like a very liberal free trial with enough levels to see if it's something entertaining.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, and with no time limit (used to just be 14 days). I'm still playing it fairly regularly, after another 2-3 weeks here I'll have monk/scholar geared up to the highest gear level, so I'll probably fall off for the most part until the expansion, but I'll be back strong after that.

I really think this is the best MMO I've played. Sure some of that comes from being a big Final Fantasy fan, but really everything about it is solid.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Will eventually check out FFXIV again probably within a month.

Right now I'm playing Bless. Similar to Black Desert and Archage, Bless is a Korean MMO with the full range of Classes, Crafting, etc.

6-8 months from now it may appear in the U.S.

If you want to play it now, Russia has the game. You need to:

Set up an account (just need to enter email address over on the Russian version of the game):

https://bless.101xp.com/

-download the game
-download and install english patch (It's a well done patch with everything translated to English)
-use Russian IP (VPN) to initially log into game
-disconnect VPN after game starts to load in order to use your faster connection
-play the game!

Instructions are somewhere on US fan site:

http://bless-source.com/

I wouldn't bother right now unless you have the patience to get foreign games running but it's a good one worth checking out now or later this year.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Now is probably the best time to get into this game if you've ever had an interest or are looking for an MMO to play. With the new Stormblood expansion they have streamlined the game in a lot of ways that make it a lot more approachable to new people, and just generally a ton of great improvements.

They've also joined every other MMO and have added "jump potions" in - one of them you can buy will level your character immediately to 60 (max is now 70 with the second expansion), and the other will skip you past all the main story up to the start of Stormblood - this is HUGE. The reason being, you have to go through the story to access any content - so you have to beat the original game's story before you can play the first expansion, etc. The story is long, and honestly the story before the first expansion does really slog at some points, they've gotten way better since then. That being said, the game does have a great story, and it would be a bit of a bummer to miss out on that much of it - however if you really want you can still view all of the cut scenes at least, which will more or less bring you up to speed.

Another good thing is that old content doesn't really get left behind in this game like it does in others - there are several different daily roulettes for dungeons and such, these offer big experience and tome (used to buy high end gear) rewards, so people always run them, and they will often get put into lower level content as it just randomly picks a dungeon - so everyone wins.

The two new classes are fun (I switched to samurai for my main), there is a ton of content, and it's just a lot of fun and really well put together at this point. Worth checking out if that's your thing. I am on the Siren server if anyone does get into it and wants to start somewhere where they know someone - the free company (guild) that I'm in is also pretty good at helping people with content.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I broke down and started back up to play through the Shadowbringers expansion, since I didn't have much else I was interested in playing. I'm glad I did - this game just keeps getting better! The story is really good - but fuck is it dark. I'm not quite done with the story - I have one dungeon/trial left and then the post release quests that have been added - so I guess maybe something good will happen, but I'm not holding my breath at this point :lol: