Alien Swarm

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Alien Swarm

Post by Psyloche »

I didn't see it posted anywhere, but this game came out on Steam yesterday for free. It's a top down co-op shooter that's pretty well done for a free game. I'd say it's similar to L4D only it's a top down perspective so it's a lot easier for people who aren't normally good or have fun in FPS games. I'd just recently caught Aliens on TV this weekend, so it was even better busting out classic Alien series movie lines while playing.

Game website
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Alien Swarm

Post by Aslanna »

I mentioned it on the game deals thread sorta. It looked interesting but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. Maybe sometime this weekend. From the brief video it sorta reminded me of Alien Syndrome from the 80s (if anyone remembers that!) but I'm sure there was more to it than that.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Aslanna wrote:I mentioned it on the game deals thread sorta. It looked interesting but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. Maybe sometime this weekend. From the brief video it sorta reminded me of Alien Syndrome from the 80s (if anyone remembers that!) but I'm sure there was more to it than that.
It's funny you mention Alien Syndrome, because that's what I compare it to. You know there's a sequel to that game on the Wii. I had a blast playing it with some friends, but we called it Alien Inventory Syndrome because since it's all a shared screen, we were constantly waiting for somebody to equip/compare gear. I said at the time I wish there was a PC port so we wouldn't have to be standing around while somebody compared gear. This game has much less item slots, just 2 weapon and an item slot that I've found (barely got much playing time). Also, it's really f'ing hard, or we're really bad, with just 2 players.
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This works with Eyefinity. It's a pretty fun little game, but I hear you pretty much need 4 people to progress through certain parts. Nothing wrong with that, especially for free!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Fun game!

I am kwonryu on Steam!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Playing on Normal, a friend and I got to the 3rd or 4th mission and were stomped pretty hard. We went back the next day and blew through stuff and even got a pop up telling us that we should probably try a harder difficulty setting with 4 people. While there's only a handful of missions currently, I still think it's a pretty good free game. Would be neat if there were a bit more gear slots and stuff to make a bit more D2'ish set with ALIENS, but hey, it's free.
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I'm jweible05 on Steam if anybody wants to add me for some AS goodness.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I played it a few times now, pretty fun, remind me of Alien Breed, same frantic panic when the aliens charge from all sides :).
I'm on steam, PM me to get my username if you wanna play :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Hesten wrote:I played it a few times now, pretty fun, remind me of Alien Breed, same frantic panic when the aliens charge from all sides :).
I just spent half the day getting the WinUAE Amiga emulator going. Alien Breed was one of the first games I tried. It reminds me of a mix of Gauntlet and Alien Syndrome.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have Alien Breed Evolution from XBL and this game is a lot like that, only better and free!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Amiga > PC !

--
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Level 5 now, and still having a lot of fun.....i just wish i had a headset with a mic, would be nice for this, but not dropping my surround headset to get an inferior one with a mic :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The G35 headset has proven to be a surprisingly good 7.1 surround headset and it also includes a mic.

Just my opinion if you're ever looking for a gaming headset!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The G35 headset has proven to be a surprisingly good 7.1 surround headset and it also includes a mic.

I have been using the Zalman headsets for some years now, and been very happy with those....i checked the G35 versus the new Zalman (Zalman Real Surround Sound Headphones "Theatre 6" ZM-RS6F)....true, its not 7.1, but my sound card dont support that either :). And its at around half the cost of the G35, and on the danish website I checked prices at, the Zalman headsets actually score better in customer reviews, a 5 star review compared to 4 on the G35 :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If you are using a headset for voice, you will be using a usb. Your soundcard is completely bypassed so what it is or is not capable of is irrelevent at that point. There are headsets for listening to movies, music, and for gaming.

The G35 is a gaming headset!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

7.1... Does that even matter in a headset? I don't see how you can get 'real' 7.1 in a headset anyway. Sounds like marketing hocus pocus to me!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Oh, it's gimmicky but you definately hear a difference. It's gimmicky like "video game mode" settings on recievers and sound cards that simply bump the rear channel surround up to higher levels so it's easier to know when someone is behind you.

I compared the G35 with my other logitech phones (forget name/model but the squeeze my ears so hard it gives me headaches), and the is a surprising difference between stereo and surround headsets. Well, at least the 2 I own!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The G35 headset has proven to be a surprisingly good 7.1 surround headset and it also includes a mic.

I just ordered some of these from Logitech for $65 (dented box). Seemed like a pretty good deal.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What's up with Logitech and their forklift operators? I swear they are denting shit on purpose!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I think if you search you'll find a G35 review of mine from awhile back. I picked them up right after they were released. They were ok but way too closed (cuts off all sound outside). I kinda like to be able to hear the doorbell ring, etc! They were a little tight as well, making extended use uncomfortable. Otherwise, they're not bad.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You didn't review them. You just posted the Logitech "G" releases. Weird, I also picked up the G19 keyboard mentioned there as well. The G19 is one hell of a keyboard!

I'm currently looking for a mouse and was considering the G9 mouse, but the Rat 9 and even the WoW mouse are still in the running. The G9 may win out because (as bad as it sounds) everything will match. Well, combined with the fact that the other Logitech purchases have really impressed me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've run two G7 Mice into the ground with heavy heavy use over the past 4 years. Best 2000dpi wireless large mouse feet mouse Ever! Tried the G9 but it was too small to be comfortable in my hand plus it was wired which blows.

My 2nd G7 is finally starting to show its age. There are more 2000+ DPi wireless options out there though finally to choose from.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ok, my G19 had a short in it or something. The LEDs would blink on and off for no reason. I took it back to Best Buy and they didn't have another one. Instead, I swapped it out for a G13 game pad and got 100$ back as well. I think I'm happier with the way things are now because I really, really liked and missed my wireless MS Elite keyboard. The G19 is loaded with lots of features, but it's pretty much only for gaming. When I wasn't gaming, I really missed the utility and layout of my MS keyboard. With the G13 game pad, I get the best of both worlds. Man, I really preferred the volume control on that G19 though. The screen was great fun too.

Oh well.

The G13 is fresh out of the box, but I really like what I see so far! I'm still hung up on which gaming mouse to get, but with the G13 I may not need one at all. I'm going to get it all keyed up for WoW and SC2 tonight.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

After playing a mere 10 minutes of WoW, all I wonder is who the fuck would buy a Steel Series WoW mouse over a G13? This thing is pretty epic!