APB

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

APB

Post by Funkmasterr »

Anyone gonna try this out? I think I'm gonna pick it up this weekend, a few friends are getting it. I've been watching it for a long time and it looks cool, a nice change of pace for a pc mmo really.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: APB

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I gave no idea what APB stands for.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

http://na.apb.com/en

All Points Bulletin. It's kinda like a Crackdown MMO, and has been in development for quite some time now. You can basically either be the good guys or bad guys.

I thought it was out this weekend but it's actually not out until the 29th, however if you go to the website there are links to a few sites that you can get beta codes from. I'm patching the game right now, probably have at least a couple of hours left but I plan on trying it out today.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

I was in the Closed Beta! :)

It was quite fun! Good customization.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Played it a bit last night, seems cool. I'd have to get a new video card if I wanted to play it seriously and I won't have money for that anytime soon :\
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

is it one of those free to play games with the purchasing of in game money or some stuff? Couldn't really find that on their website...but admittedly only spent 30 seconds.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

After reading about it here, I went and looked up some info. Of what I have seen, most people are not being very kind to the game based on beta impressions. The most common complaint being along the lines of "it's not good enough to pay a monthly fee".
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You pay to play it. You can pay a flat rate to play unlimited a month just like any other MMO or you can pay for less time too.

Fair, I disagree with that. The only reason the people you are reading reviews from are saying that, is they are probably stupid fucking kotaku retards that have never payed for a MMO before and think it's stupid they have to pay a monthly fee.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

wait wait wait...are you saying there are people who have NOT played an MMO before?
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Yep. My mom. Ohhhh!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol:
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I played it for about 15 minutes and got completely bored. It's the exact same boredom that I get whenever I pop into any MMO when they do free weekends.

It's a shame it's an MMO. I love the stuff that Realtime Worlds does. Crackdown is probably one of my favorite games this console gen.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some APB fans have checked their account management pages and noted a paid subscription option that will remove ads delivered to the MMO's in-game voice chat, which of course, means the game will serve ads over voice chat.
In game ads over voice chat.. Sounds awesome!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Some APB fans have checked their account management pages and noted a paid subscription option that will remove ads delivered to the MMO's in-game voice chat, which of course, means the game will serve ads over voice chat.
In game ads over voice chat.. Sounds awesome!
The ads play once every 3 hours on loading screens (between different sections of the city). Not a big deal at all if you ask me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The cops and robbers game from troubled Scottish developer Realtime Worlds might set the record for the shortest-lived MMO, as All Points Bulletin shuts down after a mere two and a half months in operation
Needed more ads, apparently.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Lol, i didnt even know it shut down....not that i cared, but that they shut a MMO down without the regular gaming sites noticing is kinda bad :)
And it must have been BAD to die before Hellgate London :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Hesten wrote:Lol, i didnt even know it shut down....not that i cared, but that they shut a MMO down without the regular gaming sites noticing is kinda bad
Well it hasn't actually shut down yet.
It was only posted a few hours ago on the APB official forums.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

miir wrote:
Hesten wrote:Lol, i didnt even know it shut down....not that i cared, but that they shut a MMO down without the regular gaming sites noticing is kinda bad
Well it hasn't actually shut down yet.
It was only posted a few hours ago on the APB official forums.
They laid off all their employees a month or so ago. It was doomed then. :(
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I remember posting the character concept art for this game years ago and then posting about the character generator which is super detailed.

Too bad the game wasn't a success.

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I was laughing my ass off today, just saw a shop here advertise for it as a game they just got in :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Rofl at winnow's left/right reminders!
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game is finally back as a free to play game. The Open beta starts Monday May 23rd.

I got in very end of closed beta, just played a little today. It's fun. Character generation is second best only to EVE for facial features and is the best of any so far for customization.

I haven't gotten very far into the game. You tend to mess around a lot with the customization of your character, clothes, car, etc after getting through tutorial.

UI is polished. Quests and customization are off the charts.

I created a female character and got hit on before I even got out of the tutorial so I created a custom decal and put it on my car. Hopefully that will keep them away!

This game is worth checking out for free. As you recall, the game was pay for about a month and then the company went under. The game was bought and converted into a free to play format.

Positives so far:

Character creation is excellent
Customization is excellent
UI is polished
Quest system is polished

Negatives so far:

Driving mechanics are bad.

http://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/

You can download the game here if want to get headstart:

http://www.gamersfirst.com/index.php?q=download

Trailer for APB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rikXS48YTo
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

community looks like a real winner based on the chat in your screenshot too :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:community looks like a real winner based on the chat in your screenshot too :P
I wouldn't expect anything less from a chaotic free game!

I'm having fun with it so far after about 6 hours of game play. It's the perfect counterbalance to L.A. Noire.

I'm going to create a male char for once. With the maturity level of the community in general, and even with me placing a tattoo on my back saying "i'm a dude", it's probably a good idea to go male av.

As for the community, I randomly grouped up with a group of Aussies last night. I didn't have my headset on but they did and were entertaining. If your team is communicating and focused, you can do very well.

Make no mistake about the game being geared toward chaos. There's no effort to curtail dumb names, etc. I saw some great AVs. There were two guys that look like the Hulk and Superman. You can design your own tats and decals, etc so the opportunity for creativity is there.

The free-to-to-play model looks like it's well done.I don't see any need to pay if you don't want to. It limits you to two characters and you have some limitations on how many decals you can place on your cars, etc. Nothing that would impact your ability to compete and there's plenty of customization and clothing available for free (game money).

Leveling up is nice. You have contacts in different regions. You level up with each individual contact and each contact unlocks unique items and clothing that you can then buy with game money you earn during missions.

Not sure about longevity, but the character generation and customization alone is worth a look and you'll probably enjoy the game, especially if you bring a few friends to chat with.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm improving!

I was dying about 20 times to every kill I got (probably even worse than that). Now I have about a 1:2 death/kill ratio.

Last night was pretty crazy with so many first time people trying out the game. Vehicles flying all over the place. What I like about this game is that you have multiple instances going on in the same district so shit is happening all over the place but you're not just getting mowed down by random people. You can only kill the opposition assigned to your instance. That doesn't prevent you from interfering though by ramming other vehicles, blowing things up, etc but it's a minor annoyance as opposed to being a crippling part of the game. It keeps the entire zone alive with activity without breaking down into complete chaos.

The weapon types make a big difference, as they should. You only carry two weapons along with grenades. Secondary weapon is a pistol typically. Your main weapon can selected from a large variety of weapons types with range, mobility, various damage types, etc. Nothing unusual there but you can' pick up or switch weapons during the instance so the proper weapon becomes critical to success.

I settled on a medium to long range semi automatic and am having some success.

I've lasted two days in a shooter game and am still playing!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What did they change from the last time?

I was in the original Beta once.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:What did they change from the last time?

I was in the original Beta once.
Didn't play beta for original so don't know what's changed.

I'm having fun with this game. Have about 20 hours played now.

Even with my "I'm a Dude" tattoo, I was getting crude in my chosen outfit. I felt violated!

I put on a more conservative top to try and cut down on sexual harassment.

This is my latest look. Jacking an armored car.

This game is really fun when you have a full load in a car. Everyone but the driver can lean outside their window and shoot.

This is typically how I end up. Lots of great death poses in this game. Ragdoll physics on corpses are excellent. Watching bodies you hit fly over your hood and rooftop is also great entertainment on your way to a mission.

Some X-23 looking character hitching a ride in the back seat.

Teamwork is huge. Need to have a good driver, good lookouts, etc.

One of my conservative looks.

I wish I had more screens of some of the avatars running around. You can be very creative in the game.

People like my car. Need to upgrade it at some point. You can steal cars so easy, you really don't need to worry much about your own car but nice to customize.

I spend a lot of time like this after being arrested because I suck...but I'm getting better!

My partner in crime about to punch out a citizen!

-----

I'm having a great time in this game. The driving takes a lot of practice. It's horrible to begin with but, while never great, becomes like second nature after awhile.

For free, I'd recommend anyone that likes FPS type games to give it a go. It's not going to compete with your Modern Warfare or whatever your FPS shooter of choice is, but it sure is fun to jump in a do a few missions here and there.

BTW, my plan wasn't to be half naked. It takes awhile to earn some money and to unlock some of the nicer clothes/accessories. I've got a long way to go in that department. They've done a good job with the leveling. You have your Rank (I'm rank 53 but it looks like ranks go into the triple digits. You have several Contacts in each district that you can pledge your loyalty to. Each Contact is part of one of two different main gangs. Each contact unlocks unique new things each contact level you earn with that particular contact. You can see the items they unlock for each level beforehand so you can determine who you want to pledge your loyalty to. After you reach level 10 with a particular contact, they refer you to a new contact with 10 more levels...so you have many contacts, each that you individually level with, and each that refers you on to more unique contacts with levels and unique items. You also have modifications and specializations you increase in determined by your experience in using various weapon types, etc. You earn money for all sorts of things which allow you to buy new weapons, ammo, clothes, etc. You can change your appearance, design custom tattoos and logos, etc. At any time, for very small in game money fees, you can completely change your look..but it only charges you for what you change...so if you just want want to lengthen your eyelashes...change your hairstyle, or add/remove a tatt, etc, it's super cheap. There's no reason to actually pay for anything unless you want more than two characters or want to add past the limit set for decals on cars and things like that. Excellent pay model.
Last edited by Winnow on May 28, 2011, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Making it free to play takes away any interest I had in it. I.fucking.loathe.micro-transactions.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Making it free to play takes away any interest I had in it. I.fucking.loathe.micro-transactions.
There really aren't any. If you can live with having two characters and are ok with less than 3 unique decals on your car, there's not much to buy. I'm not even sure what you buy.

That's the beauty of this particular "free to play" game. I really don't think you'd ever have to buy anything. I wouldn't blow it off because of that. It's also a lot more polished thatn your typical free to play game due to its history and hella long development.
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

I downloaded for my son and he's now lvl 20 and enjoying it so far
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some more pics, mostly of me dead!

Ready for a new day of killing!

Things are looking up!

my eyes are still open!

Pretty city at night!

Almost made it!

Despite the driving mechanics, riding around in vehicles is a blast.

Friendly fire is always live. You have to be careful shooting from a car. Later on that guy in the passenger seat shot me while aiming at a car chasing us. Surprisingly, there's not a lot of grieving on same teams. It really is an accident when you get run down, shot or blown up by your own team. It's easy to ban someone from group if it becomes an issue.

I die a lot.

Best death post yet!

The level of customization is awesome. Check out the coloring options just for a hat.

Easy to add custom decals, text, etc

Besides customization, you can layer clothes. I have a turtleneck on under my jacket. In the bottom right you'll see options to move clothing above or below layers.

Cars have same customization as your body/clothes. This screen shows the stats involved with vehicles.

I'll say again, if you like running around shooting people while having a ton of flexibility in customizing your character, APB is a great free game to try out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've finally settled on a weapon

Weapons are tough to choose in APB. There is no uber weapon. I like this one because it has ok range for a machine gun, does good hard damage so you can blow up cars fast, which makes for easy kills sometimes. You can't touch a sniper with this but anything medium range on in you can light up....especially up close. The draw back is mobility, you're slow while holding this. To avoid this, you switch to secondary weapon while on the move. You also burn through ammo fast with this so need to be on the lookout for ammo supply vendors and stock up every mission or two.

I'd say this weapon's specialty is taking out vehicles quickly and also being able to destroy someone at close range quickly. If you get the drop on someone, it's all over. Another drawback is you can't fire from vehicle so are stuck with your secondary weapon there.

If not for this weapon, I'd probably either go close range with a shotgun or sniper. There are some great specialty weapons with those ranges although then you're really forced to play the role of your gun. There are a couple good assault rifles but they just don't have the power up close to take someone out fast. I found myself dying up close too much. With the Shaw, I've at least got a chance to take out my opponent and a fighting change against midrange as well. Another nice thing about the Shaw is it's big clip. Sometimes enemies will drive up and bail out of the car before it explodes. If you've been trying to take out the vehicle, you end up with no ammo and reloading. With the Shaw, the clip is big enough to keep on firing even if they get out and have enough in the clip to take them out still.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

When/where can you start to actually customize your character's clothing and appearance? I keep seeing the updates showing new stuff available when I level or gain faction with contacts, but I have only seen 1-2 outfits without finding how to use them.

Is there any form of solo content after leaving the tutorial? I only got grouped with random people for missions via the "ready" function.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:When/where can you start to actually customize your character's clothing and appearance? I keep seeing the updates showing new stuff available when I level or gain faction with contacts, but I have only seen 1-2 outfits without finding how to use them.

Is there any form of solo content after leaving the tutorial? I only got grouped with random people for missions via the "ready" function.
You go to the one district (can't remember the name, but there only 3 =P ) to change your clothes colors/clothes/appearance, and you can change your player car there too. As for soloing, you can turn the auto join group off, and just do the same sort of missions solo, but this got boring for me after about the 3rd time of setting things on fire.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I think I have mostly been in the financial district, just because that is where the training area was. I have seen where I could change outfits, but I haven't figured out how to actually set one up.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:I think I have mostly been in the financial district, just because that is where the training area was. I have seen where I could change outfits, but I haven't figured out how to actually set one up.
Oh yeah, it's the Social District.

I thought the game was pretty terrible besides the rare times I would actually run into Enforcers while looting Stores in a rape van. The group missions which involved enforcers would have bee fun, but I always fought someone with a weapon that would 1 shot me, whereas it would take me multiple clips to kill them.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, that's been my only real complaint. I still couldn't get any solo missions when I tried over lunch, but I will look through the options later.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game is a lot of fun for short stints when you just feel like blasting things or running over things. If you have a group of people that know what they're doing, then the team objectives become fun as well.

I still can't settle on a weapon although I like the SHAW 556 machine gun I referenced above. You move slow, but just like in other FPS games, you can switch to your alternate weapon quickly and move fast as anyone else. The SHAW tears vehicles up quick so blasting people before they get out of their car is a goo strategy as well as opening up on them right before they stop and keep firing as they get out. The SHAW has a big clip.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Great pics Win!

Love the Primary / Secondary Target-pics :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---