MLB 10 The Show

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

MLB 10 The Show

Post by Tyek »

Have not seen anything about this game mentioned here.

This is simply put, the best sports game I have played. It is not flawless, it has frozen on me a couple times, and they seem to hit lots of doubles. Otherwise this is the best sports game I have played. The road to the show game would be enough on its own, but it has several other options, like season and Franchise mode.

Road To The Show (Long Winded, but will give you a glimpse into the game)

You create your virtual player and pick any position including Catcher. You can get pretty detailed on the facial features, with some options on the actual body type. Then you get to pick your players uniform options. Again it is pretty comprehensive. You pick bat colors, tape, do you want Pine Tar, helmet type, shoe colors, batting gloves and colors of the gloves, etc..

Once you have chosen you player and appearance, you assign some extra points to categories you want to improve initially. If you are a pitcher, you would probably worry less about batting stances, etc...

Ok now you are ready to play. You have the choice of picking a team or being drafted. I chose draft and ended up on the Blue Jays. I was sent to their minor league AA affiliate. I am not sure if this is a default. I also created a catcher who was drafted by....The Bluejays and sent to their minor league affiliate. I may have to do it again to see if this happens all the time.

I am a starting pitcher, but the Blue jays are Deep in that position so I start as a reliever. I do ok the first few games, and earn training points. The training points are like XP in a RPG. The team will give me set goals to meet. Some are performance goals, some are stat building. Once I hit the stat requirement I see a checkpoint and can work on any other stats I want. It is important that you hit your goals though. Ignore them and promotion is impossible.

I continue to pitch well and make the all star team. I get several hundred extra points that way and get promoted to starting pitcher. I am immediately traded to the Nationals minor league team, where I finish the season as tied for most wins, ERA leader, WHIP Leader and win % leader. I think promotion is right around the corner. Since I had a 1 year contract only, I am offered a new 2 year contract and a position on the AAA starting roster.

The promotion lasted one day. I am demoted to AA and start the season there. About mid season I am called up and have a good AAA year. Earning an invite to Spring training. I do ok, but not great, but the Nationals make me their No. 5 starter. We SUCK, starting the season 0-8. I take a lead into the 8th in my first game only to see the bullpen blow it. I then win the next 5 games as we claw our way back towards .500. I am given training opportunities along the way in the form of mini games, like knock out the blocks with the pitches, or hit these pitches, which help raise my stats.

Suddenly the Nationals are at 17-24 and winning more frequently, we have a young pitching staff, decent core, looks like things are turning in Washington and next year we may be a contender. I check some stats and look up the trading rumor mill and there I am, looks like I am trade bait. 2 days later I am a Cub. So I am now pitching for the Cubs, I am at 7-1 for the year and in the hunt for an All Star appearance and an early favorite for the CY Young... I can't wait to get back to the game....

Overall the game would have been amazing with just the Road to the Show mode, but with all the extra features it is a must buy if you like sports games. In Road to the Show, you can just play the parts you are in, so it is easy to whip out the game for 30 minutes, or play a bunch of games in a couple hours. This mode should be the de facto standard by which ALL sports games base their player creation modes.

9.5/10 - points off for the massive number of doubles to singles ratio and freezing issues.

......as a side note, if you play and see a player named guncrazy ask to play you, avoid him like the plague. Here is a post he put in the PS3 boards about the game. At first I thought it was a brilliant take on all the idiots who quit in games they are losing, but subsequent posts confirmed he was only an idiot and this was a real post...
guncrazy56 Obsessed

03-09-2010 11:55 PM
Message 5 of 15 (442 Views) 0 I usually quit when im losing online and offline. I spent $60 to win not get cheesed. Im sorry when i hit a guess pitch fastball down the middle and pop it up to the catcher I call that cheating. No major league player would ever do that. So heres a fair warning, if i play you and im losing I WILL QUIT. And to me the game doesnt count. I will call the game devs and demand my record be reset. I think im going to turn my slider all the way up and turn the cpu all the way down so I can win every game. I should have gotten 2K10. Sony fails yet again.

Signature removed by Admin due to inappropriate content.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: MLB 10 The Show

Post by miir »

I mentioned it as one of the top notch PS3 exclusives (in the PS3 thread) and it was summarily dismissed as not having very much appeal to gamers.

*shrug*
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I can see myself playing this for a long time. Like the football games. I don't know that we have lots of sports gamers on this board though. Maybe I am wrong, but this is a brilliant title.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I don't particularly care for watching real baseball, but your review had me wanting to pick this game up. Then miir pointed out it was PS3 exclusive, and I guess I won't be playing it now. :(
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:I mentioned it as one of the top notch PS3 exclusives (in the PS3 thread) and it was summarily dismissed as not having very much appeal to gamers.

*shrug*

Yeah, but look who that response was from...
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Boog, if you have a PS3 you need this game. If FIFA copied the Road to the Show I would be in Heaven.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Only console I currently have is a 360, and I haven't even really used that in a couple months.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Tyek did you play last years Show? Its all but similar to the new one (with a few new tweaks) but all in all the best baseball game I've ever played.. Making a pitcher for the Road is my favorite choice.. The best is when you become a free agent and can negotiate contracts. Def. one of my favorite games hands down.
Timmah.

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKa2ogxgjI

Yeah, it is a very similar game, but the added catcher mode is pretty cool. you actually call the game, where the pitch goes, which pitch etc.. also added some nice features and the graphics are better. I was gonna stick with 09, but am glad I went ahead and bit the bullet. Road to the Show is harder to move up, batting is harder. They seem to judge you on your play more, make a mistake and they may pull you, etc...

I just finished 2 games pitching, my pitcher is going through a poor phase. The first game was a 6-5 loss and it took 16 minutes to play 5.2 innings I was in.

I just like the way they present.

1st inning, leadoff runner hits a single up the middle. for the next batter I get a goal to force a groundout. I don't I strike him out. +10 points for positive result. Next guy singles, man at first and 3rd. I now have 2 potential goals, force ground ball or avoid giving up run. I force a ground ball double play. +15 points,

I also notice the announcer says, "You gotta score some runs early, this is a young pitcher and he can get rattled if you get this run."

On a grounder near the base line, the ump calls foul and the first base coach jumps all over him.

Game 2, I get shelled, give up 7 runs in the first 4 innings and before I get pulled I bean a batter and he starts up the first base line and stops to start yelling at me, bat in hand.

Just cool stuff.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Reading this description caused me to navigate to Amazon.com and place a 1-Click order. I am still not sure how I did that without knowing my actions.

=(
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Good news for PlayStation-hating Baseball fans come 2021:
Sony Interactive Entertainment and Major League Baseball are extending their long-term deal to continue developing MLB The Show, the league’s officially licensed simulation video game. But there’s a very important twist to their deal now: MLB The Show will no longer be PlayStation-exclusive. The series is coming to other, as-yet-unconfirmed console platforms.

In a news release, Major League Baseball, the Major League Baseball Players Association, Sony Interactive Entertainment, and developer SIE San Diego Studio announced an unspecified multiyear extension of their long-standing partnership. They also confirmed that MLB The Show will appear on consoles “beyond PlayStation platforms as early as 2021.”

While the league, its players’ association, and Sony didn’t specify which non-PlayStation platforms would soon be home to MLB The Show, both the official Xbox and Nintendo of America Twitter accounts tweeted about the deal, hinting that future MLB The Show video games would come to those companies’ platforms. It is unclear whether SIE San Diego would itself develop non-PlayStation versions of the games.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

MLB did their research! It's Sony vs everyone else now. Xbox/PC is pretty much the same thing since you can use either or and play new releases day one for $5/month. Microsoft wins either way with Sony using Microsoft's cloud services moving forward. It's just sad that Sony is still oblivious to how people game these days on multiple platforms. If Sony was forward thinking, they'd be selling their games on all platforms and allowing cross-play.

The only thing Sony is good for is competition to push Microsoft to improve console power.

Maybe compare Sony to Intel. Intel used to dominate CPU sales, now 93% of PC game enthusiasts buy AMD CPUS (backed up by Amazon's top 10 all AMD CPU sales Black Friday)

AMD is already supplying the CPUs for BOTH PS5 and the next Xbox and now they clearly have the better PC CPUs and it appears they will for at least the next several years. Intel, complacent and clueless about what the end user wants, got what they deserved. Sony looks to be starting down that same path.

It's good Sony exists but they can go fuck themselves with their ancient controllers. They tried hard to fuck up their Marvel led success with Spider-Man. The things people applauded Sony for (exchanging a physical copy of a game on stage) was also outdated thinking. As expected, just about everything is digital downloads now, as it should be. It's unbelievable if the rumors are true that they'll be keeping the ridiculous snow cone controller layout for their next PSVR system. I'm a fan of a lot of Japanese things, but most Sony products aren't included.

Even with my overall general distaste for Sony, I still might buy their noise cancelling headphones if something better doesn't come along at CES in January.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:If Sony was forward thinking, they'd be selling their games on all platforms and allowing cross-play.
Yeah, they have to catch up to all those Microsoft games being put out for the PS4... :roll: Based on that same faulty logic you're saying Microsoft isn't forward thinking.
Winnow wrote:Intel used to dominate CPU sales, now 93% of PC game enthusiasts buy AMD CPUS
Nice way to try and manipulate what they are saying. Or totally missing it altogether. They are saying 93% OF THEIR READERS AND VIEWERS who use their affiliate links are choosing AMD. Unless you're saying 100% of PC enthusiasts buy their products utilizing Gamers Nexus affiliate links. Which they are not.

Not to mention the enthusiast market is significantly smaller than the system integrator and OEM market. When it comes to total CPU sales Intel is still dominating. But I am cheering for AMD because that will only force Intel to step up their game and become a little more consumer friendly.

But this is just another case of your evangelizing something by trying to talk shit about the other side same as you do time and time again (Sony vs MS, Apple vs Android, Jelly vs am, etc). Why can't you just use something and be happy with it rather than going out of your way to attack the competing product? (Rhetorical question by the way.. I don't really care.)

/ignoring all the rest of your lame tired old trolling points)

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Profit is in the software/services/sales. You'd think that would be a lesson learned from Apple vs Microsoft in the 1980's. Apple has been moving toward being a service oriented company. Sony, if they were smart, would do the same and try and sell as many copies of their games as they can. Hardware is on it's way out for consoles.

As for AMD, if your only response is that OEMs still use Intel for sales, that's not really an argument. I'll take the side of the better, faster, cheaper, more efficient CPU. You can argue OEM sales all day long. You realize those are money making deals for the OEMs, not because their chips are better right?

Intel's last several years is the same old chip, turbocharged and overheated. AMD is the much more elegant, better design. Intel CPUs right now are like having an old VW Beetle car with a super charged nitrous injected engine to force it to go faster. AMD does the same thing (well better) using a more efficient process with no overheating required.

I'm sure the top ten CPU sales on Black Friday was manipulated as well. Lets see....the gamer PC enthusiast CPU preferred choice or the OEM deal CPUs for premade PCs you buy at Wal-Mart...hmmm which one seems more likely to know what's best?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:As for AMD, if your only response is that OEMs still use Intel for sales, that's not really an argument.
My argument was with your assertion of "Intel used to dominate CPU sales, now 93% of PC game enthusiasts buy AMD CPUS" which is totally false on both aspects:

a) Intel is still dominating CPU sales. Whether they are OEM sales or not is totally and completely irrelevant to your statement. Facts matter regardless of your feelings. But hey you also think Trump did nothing wrong so what even are facts to you.

b) 93% of a small segment of the overall market: People who watch GN videos (which I am one) or read their articles and who buy their hardware via their affiliate links (of which I am not one). You can't claim that those statistics represent 93% of PC game enthusiasts when even the GN article goes out of their way to explain their metrics. You simply chose to ignore that or hoped people would just believe you based on the headline.

I don't give a shit what you say either way but at least try having some actual fact-based perspective on it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow. So you interpreted me saying 93% of game enthusiasts are buying AMD CPUs to mean AMD owned 93% of the CPU market? Um, who's making shit up here? Makes sense to look to the user population that does their research before building a new PC rather than what someones mom bought at Wal-Mart.

AMD's market share has been increasing since 2016. Any sane person would take note of zero Intel CPUs in the top 10 in Amazon's Black Friday sales. Playstation: AMD, X-Box: AMD, Apple looking to dump Intel CPUs as soon as they are able to. ...not to mention the actual performance of the CPUs.

Intel has said it's looking to focus on corporate sales, but with their failures at 7nm and their endless security flaws, even that's not working out well:

Intel's CPU Flaws Continue to Create Problems for the Tech Community

Seems like a company that has some major design issues.

Next up: GPUs! Playstation 5: AMD...Next X-Box: AMD, Apple: AMD

AMD needs to improve their drivers and they'll give Nvidia a run for their money finally if they continue to improve the way AMD has improved their CPUs.