Mount & Blade UPDATE: Version 1.003 is ready

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Mount & Blade UPDATE: Version 1.003 is ready

Post by Ashur »

http://www.taleworlds.com/

UPDATE: http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/ ... 208.0.html

Mount&Blade Version 1.003 is ready

Check this game out!

Medieval Combat RPG. Gets mounted combat right, as no other game has. The UI sucks donkey balls and reminds me of RPGs from the 90s (Click Use to Talk!), but the rest of the game owns.

In my first session I just participated in training and some local tournaments betting on myself.

My second session I got more into the RPG aspect and went out into the world with my 3 foot soldiers, hiring a few more here and there. I hit a village on the coast and beat off some bandits, and the villagers threw in with me. So I had all these farmers pulling dudes down off horses and beating the shit out of them. Then they joined me and I was able to start promoting the ones that didn't die into better footmen.

My third session I did a small skirmish and me and my 24 mixed foot/cavalry went up against 32 mixed foot/cav. My team got wiped except for 3 footmen (one archer, two melee) and two cavalry (one archer, one lancer). I was pretty sure it was all over. Twenty minutes later I was the victor! I had expended all my arrows and even had my shield broken, but I waded out of that battle with 10% of my health and a bloody sword. (I think I even switched horses to one roaming the battlefield at one point).
Last edited by Ashur on September 25, 2008, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Mount & Blade

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

You beat off some bandits? What kind of sick game is this.....ewwwwww
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:UI sucks donkey balls
Is UI a playable character? I hope there are other choices!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

bump! go try this game. addictive!
- Ash
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I was thinking this was an online game for some reason... kind of disappointed to find out it's single player.

The tutorial was decent, and the horse handles pretty well... training combat on horseback was fun.

download is free and only ~150mb.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Grabbed the demo.
Is pretty cool so far. I won my first tournament because my competitors were stupid. I had just a bow, while they were mounted with swords. They polished off one guy and then for some reason dismounted to get me. I stole their horse and then bow kited them. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

This is my new "I could get interrupted at any moment, so need to be able to pause" game.

Get the tournament fighting down, it pays off later in real battles. You're good at mounted archery, which is my weakest. The random tournaments are fun. If I get a sword, I win. If I get a bow and I can kill someone who has sword, I win. Sometimes however, I'm a poor foot archer on a team of three and my two teammates take a dive in the first 10 seconds and then I get an assbeating. It's fun when you start as a foot archer and end the fight as a mounted swordsman/lancer.

Lancing took me the longest to understand. The key is to remember that you automatically enter lancing mode (couched weapon = big time damage) when you get up to a certain speed, you don't need to hit the attack button, you just need to steer the point of your lance into the other guy. Watch out, crossbowmen duck when reloading and you can miss them, while you want to aim up a bit to get the rider of horses.

I think the game distributes captured horses to your toops, so avoid equine bloodshed (although horsecrashes are spectacular!). They also have more hit points than the guys, so go for the rider. You also trample footslobs if you've got speed, so just avoid getting halted by colliding with a tree/battlefield border/rock/hill because then the footslobs can beat you up. When you get hit, you have a moment you can't act, so 2-4 badguys can put a beatdown on you even if they're farmers with clubs, don't give them the chance! I learned that the hard way and only one of my crew charging into them with a lance saved my ass.

I spent yesterday on work conference calls while, as a vassal of the Nords, my 40 hardcore motherfuckers (almost all hired blades) and I raided Swadian caravans and razed their villages. I even laid siege to a castle and when the castle was relieved by some Swadian Lord with 110 troops.

I knocked Swadian Lord Douchebag on his ass in the initial charge (yes!) and then proceeded to play "lance-a-crossbowman" for the next 20 minutes. After 3 engagements with them they'd been beaten to a man and we got all sorts of loot. I had more fun with that then the attempt to take the castle, which was much more painful. I should have let my guys go in first, but I was on a high out of kicking the shit out of the relieving force and felt like a god. I got knocked out after we took the wall and my guys went pussy on me and pulled me out and split.

My own fief is close to the Swadian border and those Swadian fucks looted it before I could even ride there to check it out, so there's bad blood. In a few days my manor house will be built and then I can start setting up a defense for my poor villagers, aside from proactive murderation of the Swadians and the other Kingdom the Nords are at war with.

When you attack a caravan there's a funny dialogue where you demand something from them and the options are demanding a toll for safe passage or telling them to hand over all their valuables. If you select the latter (and who wouldn't?) there's another dialogue where they say "Are you seriously trying to rob me?" and the choices are "No, haha, I was just joking" and "Damn right I am, so start handing over your valuables!". :P The latter choice leads to battle, and mad lewts.

The game got a lot more fun when I actively took a side. Ashur is level 19 now (yes, I dropped $25 for the license) and I have like four companions and a hand picked crew of asskickers.
- Ash
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Ashur wrote: I think the game distributes captured horses to your toops, so avoid equine bloodshed (although horsecrashes are spectacular!). They also have more hit points than the guys, so go for the rider. You also trample footslobs if you've got speed, so just avoid getting halted by colliding with a tree/battlefield border/rock/hill because then the footslobs can beat you up. When you get hit, you have a moment you can't act, so 2-4 badguys can put a beatdown on you even if they're farmers with clubs, don't give them the chance! I learned that the hard way and only one of my crew charging into them with a lance saved my ass.
someone on the game forums wrote:No, purchasing more horses won't make your men cavalry - they'll just sit in your inventory as packhorses. For your men to become cavalry you need to upgrade them along the right path - if you have, for example, Vaegir Guards, you're stuck with them
They did say "looting" horse will make them pack animals and slow you down less when loaded with lewtz.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Yes, but in any given battle most of my Hired Blades are mounted, but there always seem to be a few that are on foot. They are the "same unit" (upgraded Mercenaries). The only correlation I've been able to make is these are guys that lost their horses in previous battles maybe, but maybe they take mounts that are captured as well.

When I actually have horses in my lewtz after a battle I decide if they are worth keeping (weighing their value versus other loot, a saddle horse is usually worth less than a keg of butter or a shield, so they usually get left for the peasants to make glue), worth upgrading one of my companions with. On companions, I have four. Two can fight well (one is level 27ish!), while the other two are my surgical/first aid brain trust. Of those one is a midling fighter, I give him a lance and pray. I other one I don't want killed, but she can't fight and is low level, she gets good armor and no horse - I want the battle decided before she arrives.

A good horse owns; the ability to take more hits, go faster and turn quicker makes the difference in those cavalry dogfights where you have a few horsemen chasing you and you have to shake them (or want to keep them chasing you while your men mop up the footslobs).

So far I pretty much dump any troops that aren't mounted (except Hired Blades, see above). I don't need guys that show up when the battles over, which my cavalry usually takes care of, even when engaging 100+ enemies. Big battles in villages suck because there's no room to maneuver. I was raiding some village yesterday and some Lordling with 110 men (and all the farmer idiots) came up to stopus. He didn't, but it was painful as I kept maneuvering my horse to strafe down the streets and then go up a hill, turn a round and go again.
- Ash
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Ashur wrote:Yes, but in any given battle most of my Hired Blades are mounted, but there always seem to be a few that are on foot. They are the "same unit" (upgraded Mercenaries). The only correlation I've been able to make is these are guys that lost their horses in previous battles maybe, but maybe they take mounts that are captured as well.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hamms/im ... p_tree.pdf
There is a link to a PDF showing the troop trees and how they change as the level up.

If you look Mercs and Hired blades are listed as "Chance of horse" perhaps that is what the difference is.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Just reading the whole FAQ on Fiefs. Man, there's a whole level to this game I've barely scratched.

Sabek: Thanks for that link, random makes sense.
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Damn, I need to fight more Rhodaks, they have no mounted troops. Lambs to the slaughter.... Baaaaaaaaaaa
- Ash
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Ashur wrote:Damn, I need to fight more Rhodaks, they have no mounted troops. Lambs to the slaughter.... Baaaaaaaaaaa
Nords as well. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Hrm, I'm a Nordic vassal and I never noticed that (probably because my troops are all mercenaries!). I'm still pissed the fief I was given was right on the Swadian border when we were at war with them.

I don't like the Nords. I may go work for the Kergits (Mongols). I like their position on the map and they are almost all mounted.
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Mount&Blade Screenshots - FIXED

Post by Ashur »

Great Screenshots w/ Thumbnails on this page.

LINK <---

EDIT: DUH.... actually adding the link helps...
Last edited by Ashur on February 14, 2008, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Ashur wrote:Great Screenshots w/ Thumbnails on this page.
:-k

Where is....the missing link?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:
Ashur wrote:Great Screenshots w/ Thumbnails on this page.
:-k

Where is....the missing link?
It's an embedded YouTube. They finally fixed it so you can't see it at all if youtube is blocked at work.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Next game I'm playing the Swadians. They're in the middle, at war with everyone, and have the best troops.

My new toy is a balanced greataxe which is an amazing weapon both mounted (even hits those PITA crossbowmen that are ducking to reload) and on foot. It does an amazing amount of damage and people rarely survive a hit.

I never load a bow on the battlefield. I know it's popular, but I like charging up to people and killing them in person. Lance, Balanced Bastard Sword, Shield, Balanced Greataxe.

I love capturing castles. Charging around the length of the battlements cleaning off the crossbowmen while dodging fire from the courtyard and archers on the walls is a blast (at the end my shield looks like a pincushion if it hasn't been splintered by a pack of skirmishers with glaives during the combat. I haven't gotten to take my greataxe to them yet, but I look forward to it.

I actually love fights where my shit gets broken and I have to ad hoc things, grabbing crossbows and finding bolts or spare shields. Since you revert to your normal gear post attack, you don't have to worry if it breaks or you replace it.

The only point of frustration I have is there's one ladder that's way too thing and goes up to an opening so small (between two merlons on the battlement) my AI-controlled guys get stuck there (trying to go in two abreast), so I can't effectively attack them. This includes every city I've tried.
- Ash
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Here's how I take cities, Ashur. Cheap, but effective.

First, raid three towns to stock up food for your inventory. I'm talking the entire inventory slots. Granted, I've got 40,000 coin, so I don't need to loot anymore, but still, you want all food. Then, lay siege to a castle, immediately attakcing it with siege weaponry. Climb the ladder, get to the front, and then jump through the enemy and jump to the bottom of the stairwell directly in front of you. You'll have about 75% health left if you're lucky. Now, start picking them off. You can usually get between 20-40 killed before they wear you down on health. Wait a day, and repeat the process the next day. I was able to take down a city in six tries, killing 30 or so each rotation. If you want to conserve food, just attack a city yourself, but be ready for enemy armies coming in and trying to attack you. The nice thing is, you can break a siege immediately, unlike looting a village.

Hope that helps. I've conquered Warcheg, Tihr, and I'm working on Sargoth right now.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Kaldaur wrote:[...]immediately attacking it with siege weaponry.
This is the only part I don't understand, you mean you can use the trebuchet? Or do you mean just lay siege immediately versus trying to starve them out (which I do, as it's pointless unless it's just you and a pile of food. A good stack of troops will eat YOU out of food before the defenders even break a sweat.).

I started to try the run over my guys and jump over the badguys and pick them off through attrition method. It works, but it's very slow. I'll give it another shot soon. I think in my next game I'll leave some castles for the bad guys so they don't all turtle up in the same cities at the end making it harder than it needs to be.

I'm also trying the Bandit King mod which allows you to be essentially factionless/attack anyone (rather than waiting for a faction to declare war) and allows for greater diplomacy and mercenary roles. It also starts all companions at level 1, so you don't inherit a person with a retarded set of skills.
- Ash
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

I paid the $25 for the liscence after playing this game for 15 minutes, heh. I think between then (a week ago) and now I've already gotten far more than my money's worth out of it.

So effing fun, and amazing what they've crammed into the 125 mb download. I look forward to future add-ons and user created modules.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Definitely worth the $25. I hit level 6, got the trial message, went straight to the web site and got my key and was back playing 10 minutes later.

It's the little things that make the game for me; the war cries during a siege ("You bastards!"), the mud thrown up by horses charging when it's raining, the arterial spray when you lay open some dog with a greataxe, the whistling sound you hear right as see an arrow miss your head, the big cheer your guys let out with when you win out. These guys did a great job on the immersion.

I am looking forward to playing more total mods as well. The Bandit King one I just started is just a tweak to the basic rules set for people who want to pave their own path and not be constrained by which factions declare war on each other. There's a Hyborian one and some others in the works as well.
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I was also very impressed with the Tutorial on the combat and riding systems. That along with the trainer and arena in Zendar got me up to speed pretty quickly before I started tangling with bandits. The Arena itself is addictive. You never know how you'll be kitted out.

It's still hilarious to charge into combat against river pirates with a pack of 5 farmers as your army and realize it's up to you since you have the horse or they are toast. it's heartwarming to see a few of them survive up through the ranks to become knights (probably their eleventh replacement, but it's how I like to think of it).
- Ash
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Downloading the Bandit King mod now, that sounds perfect for what I wanted to do originally. None of this joining a faction bullshit, I'm a self-made man!
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

This game started from a single couple in Turkey. The guy was coding 24/7 and his wife was helping a little. Not sure how involved they are with it anymore, but it has been out for a few years now. Yes the mounted combat is the best now, it was the best 2 years ago as well. What a joke on the major studios.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Hooked 3 more friends on this game last night after we got done with a boardgame. :D

DLed on friend's machine and showed a quick battle (first skirmish) and managed to kill about 5 guys before having my horse was cut out from under me. Killed another 5 in a series of edge-of-my-seat fighting moments, I even had my shield splintered while two guys were muscling in to kill me. I had one arrow left and I plugged this one guy in the gut and got lucky that he was thinking offensively rather than defensively and managed to cut him to finish him off and back up before his dying hands dropped his bardiche on my head. I managed to pull myself up onto another horse, but it was lame and I was quickly dehorsed AGAIN and took one more guy out before his buddy caught me in the side with a battleaxe and took me down.

My friend (who's machine it was) jumped in to play the same skirmish, wanting to skip the tutorial and got creamed, but then managed a STELLAR showing the second time killing 13 guys in a display of equine swordsmanship not seen for centuries. Not to be outdone when I got home I jumped on and charged forward only to eat a couched lance on the initial charge and drop without drawing a drop of enemy blood. :lol:

I then managed to kill 15 the next time though, but that was good enough. ;)
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Bump - version 0.950 out!

many gameplay changes, still fun killing!
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/ ... 208.0.html

Mount&Blade Version 1.003 is ready

YES!
- Ash
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Mount & Blade UPDATE: Version 1.003 is ready

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Can you play with others or is still strictly vs the comp? :)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Strictly one player.

Man, they buffed up the Nords for release. I started a game last night and I when I finally joined a faction (Vaegir) I joined the King on a campaign into Nord lands. I hit what looked like a goddamn shield wall of them mounted on a hunter and a heavy lance and it did 0 fucking damage and my horse fucking stopped in its tracks. I had to GTFO --> before they swarmed me.

I hope the Rhodaks didn't get a similar buff (but I'll bet they did). Man I love killing Rhodaks...
- Ash
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Expansion out!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48700/
About the Game

In a land torn asunder by incessant warfare, it is time to assemble your own band of hardened warriors and enter the fray. Lead your men into battle, expand your realm, and claim the ultimate prize: the throne of Calradia!

Mount & Blade: Warband is the eagerly anticipated stand alone expansion pack for the game that brought medieval battlefields to life with its realistic mounted combat and detailed fighting system.

* Graphical overhaul: Support added for HDR, FSAA, depth of field, soft particles, tone mapping, and many other effects
* New models with greater detail and high-quality textures
* Multiplayer battles with up to 64 players. Multiplayer modes include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Conquest, Battle, and Siege
* A campaign allowing you to become the ruler of a faction and convince lords to become your vassals
* The ability to upgrade your companions to vassals by granting them lands
* The ability to marry a lady of the realm for romance or cold political gain. Try to win a lady’s heart through poetry or bravery
* Improved mechanics for soldier morale: Soldiers will break and run away if their morale gets too low
* Pick any projectile off the battlefield for use as additional munitions
* New motion-captured combat animations
* Numerous improvements to the combat system: Your shield will still stop arrows even if you are not actively defending
* The ability to play multiplayer matches on random maps as well as hand-designed ones
* Multiplayer equipment system: Earn money by fighting opponents or accomplishing goals
* The ability to use most throwing weapons in close combat: Switch to using a javelin as a short spear when the enemy gets close
* Spend gold on more powerful equipment, using a carefully balanced system that will make combat more exciting without giving too much of an advantage to the leading team
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Got it. Still figuring out the changes. Haven't tried multiplayer yet.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

May give this a whirl.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

what's with the version being 1.003? Do they expect to have close to 1000 versions before 2.0? It's been a long time since release and they're only up to .003!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Winnow wrote:what's with the version being 1.003? Do they expect to have close to 1000 versions before 2.0? It's been a long time since release and they're only up to .003!
Last edited by Ashur on September 25, 2008, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Expansion just came out and bumped this older post.
- Ash