EVE Online?

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

EVE Online?

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I searched for this, but only found it mentioned within other MMO topics.

I recently started playing and was wondering if anyone still plays this game?

I'm enjoying my 14 day free trial and will most likely be playing for at least a couple months. If anyone has an active account send a message to Vintyr (that'd be me) or post here. Would be fun to get some sort of intergalactic operation going.
pyrella
>()))>

Re: EVE Online?

Post by pyrella »

I actually picked this up about 2 weeks ago, and have been putzing around, looking at different ships mostly.

Seems to be tons of depth that I just don't have time for, but still fun to look at. I log in mostly to change my skills around - as it seems you'll need a few months worth anyways, to be able to get to a point where you can play with the big boys anyways. The missions aren't bad, except they tend to be repeated quite often (down to the name).

Pyrello in game
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I piddled around with EVE using the 14 day trial a while back. It looks like an awesome game, but unfortunately it seems like it requires too much active play time for me to spend with it. When they eventually add FPS in-station play, I'll have to check it out again. It would be nice to get out of the ship once in a while heh.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Eve can be one of the most casual games. Run a couple missions, set a skill to train, come back in a couple days to a better character. It's actually much harder to poopsock because of the real life time constraints put on training.

But new players can become effective pretty quickly, you just need to research the skills you'll need, download a skill planner, and remember to stay focused. It also helps to find an agent for a good corp (like your local military) and only do missions for that corp, so you can advance to the level 2 missions by the time you've trained cruiser.

There is an FOH channel in game, and most of the people in it are pretty eve-savvy and willing to answer noob questions.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I played this for a while, but it was more like FLOAT Online because that's all I did... I would log in and bullshit with my gang and accomplish nothing. The skill training is long and annoying and designed to keep you paying month after month.

It's also like Eternal N00b online, since theres no level cap, and anyone who's played longer than you is better than you and you can never catch up, ever.

Go try it for the 14 days, enjoy warping from place to place, and kill a few npc pirates... the graphics are awesome.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It seems...kinda cold/impersonal.

I haven't tried it but it might be good if it was combined with some more traditional MMORPG elements...so you'd have this whole spaceship stuff as well as some sort of face to face avatar interaction. Maybe an Eve/Planetside type combo.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

From what I've read, they're working on first-person interaction on space stations. They were already working on the first-person stuff before they announced work on the World of Darkness game, but it now sounds like they may be looking to incorporate some of the technical aspects of that development effort into the first person aspect of EVE. The game lore pretty much rules out in-ship activity since you're stuck in a life support pod, and control the ship via a neural implant, while various robotic and nanotech systems manage all the mechanical systems aboard.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I played this game WAY back at release, quit and then played again later. This game is fun for about a month. A lot of fun. After that it becomes pretty tedious. I haven't tried it in at least a year so I don't know if things have gotten any better or not.
Deward
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

If anyone still have a character in EVE and won't be playing again, feel free to give me your ISK! :D
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

I'm still playing this quite a bit and having fun. Lots of mining/missioning/building - been at it for 3 months, and I still haven't touched the surface of what's possible out there.

As alluded to before, it's the perfect pick up and put down game, needing no more than a few minutes of preparation to get in to just about anything you want to do.

In the event that you wish to play your brains out, as much time as you're willing to invest, there's something for you to do.

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Played it once for a bit (a month or so) :)

Nice music and great scenery!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I keep seeing the ads for the 14-day trial, and I have been soooo tempted to just download it...
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

duuuuuuu eet.

Careful the update doesn't brick your pc tho (long story short: the upgrader nuked your boot.ini file, should be fixed now, but talk about a major fuck up for an mmo)

-Cadalano
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Are you serious? haha

that's...um...scary. Maybe I will wait until the fix is confirmed.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

6.12.2007 11:47:45
ALERT: READ THIS IF YOU INSTALLED TRINITY BEFORE 4 A.M. GMT
If you have Windows AND upgraded EVE Online: Trinity Classic before 4 A.M. GMT to Premium using the content upgrade path then you MUST read this before doing anything else.

1. PLEASE DO NOT REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER
2. Check the root directory of your hard drive and see if you have a boot.ini file. Boot.ini file is normally hidden so you need to click Tools : Folder Options : View and select "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" to be able to see it. You can also check for the presence of this file by clicking Start : Control Panel : System : Advanced : Startup and Recovery : Settings (third button down). Windows will alert you if the boot.ini file is missing.
3. If boot.ini is still there then you are not affected and do not have to take any further steps.
4. If boot.ini is NOT there then please click here: FORUM LINK

We have removed the faulty updater so anyone installing the Trinity Expansion now will not be effected.

A new updater will be available shortly.

We apologize profusely for this error and are working on offering more extensive help those that have a non-working Windows PC, so please stay tuned.

-Cadalano
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I don't think I have ever seen an MMO update brick a PC. I'm in shock...at least it's not that way anymore. Maybe I will go ahead and install this over the weekend on my secondary PC just to be safe :P

Anyone have links to useful sites for skill planning and such? I remember wasting days in the beta going in the wrong direction...
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

more info on it: http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 4&from=rss

Pretty big screw up, as well as terrible standard to store config info in a file called "boot.ini", but you could easily fix the bricked xp box by putting in the XP disk and using the repair utility. Still, I would be flipping shit if this actually happened to me.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Am I just missing Mining Lasers on the Market? I lost a ship with mine, and I cannot seem to find any below 5mil ISK...maybe I sorted wrong?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hehe, i think its the biggest game fuckup since the first version of Halflife 1 deleted all in d:\, and not just all in d:\halflife when uninstalled :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Okay, I am still trying to get used to what can go where on the ships. I am also wondering why the hell one of my "newbie mission" reward ships has 1 laser mount and 3 or 4 missile mounts. I don't even remember seeing any options for missile skills when creating my character (Amarr). I have just used that ship for random high-sec mining when I cook and such.
But new players can become effective pretty quickly, you just need to research the skills you'll need, download a skill planner, and remember to stay focused. It also helps to find an agent for a good corp (like your local military) and only do missions for that corp, so you can advance to the level 2 missions by the time you've trained cruiser.
Where would I find this? I have been tempted to just let Learning get to rank 5 first, but there are so many things I feel that I am missing out on while I wait. Also, regarding the corp to do missions for, I haven't found a good way to really find out what the corps focus on. Almost every agent says "Administration" when I look at their specialty, but some have mainly sent me on combat missions. This is another reason I wonder about the skills, because some of the missions have taken me a really long time to finish with jumping in and out to repair between skirmishes. I believe one last night had nine ships I had to destroy in groups of three within about 15km of each other. It took me about 2 hours total :?

Name is Corinne Belquest. I'm not opposed to rerolling, as I am an Amarr Soldier right now. (can't remember the other bloodline stuff from work :P ). I did "just" break 1mil ISK last night though...right before buying some weapons and such that I couldn't mount ><
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I really wish you could see more details on what you will be facing in missions. I had two Amarr Cruisers and multiple frigates pop on the 5th of a chain of missions. After taking out all of the Frigates and one of the Cruisers before getting bored taking out the shields and half of the armor on the second Cruiser (oops, faction hits from them) just to see it repair the armor before I could punch through it all the way, I canceled the mission and told the agent to shove her rebellion up her warp core. There was no way I was going to finish that mission in time to get the max reward (almost 200k).

I made more than that in the same amount of time running some chain of Event missions. What is the deal with those? I think they showed up after I got a Storyline mission to deliver 999 Veldspar, and someone else was asking if doing them would unlock more Storyline missions. I repeated the circuit of deliveries two or three times before getting bored of flying in circles.

Following some advice from members of my starter corp, I will have Learning up to 4 tomorrow. I bought the skillbook for Amarr Industrial before noticing that I could not learn it on my trial account. I then bought and learned Destroyers before learning that they suck. I am really not sure where to go on skills, and everyone hints towards some kind of wiki which I have not located which may help.

Tips?
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page is decent

the forums at http://eve-online.com are fairly decent as well

http://eve.grismar.net/ - lots of great tools that can be used in game with the ingame browser also great generic info

http://eve-survival.org/ - lots of good hints/tips/info - the very first link is my home page for all my characters, gives a great breakdown of each mission type so you know what to expect, and what not to shoot to soon for respawns and the like.

A lot of holiday shit going on, but I'll try and hop on and help when I can (usually late evenings 10-11PST+ lately, but sometimes earlier)

Pyrello/Chi Persei/Saya Sheridan in game

-Cadalano
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Thanks! Found some useful info there already. 10 days left on my trial, and I am almost ready to activate it just for better ships :P

The Amarr ships "look" the best to me, but armor tanking scares me.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Seven days left in my trial, and I am almost ready to just go ahead and upgrade. I already have a Destroyer (still not sure how much this sucks), and the Amarr Frigate skill will be at 4 when I get home for lunch. You have to upgrade to learn Amarr Cruiser or Industrial (which is the only reason I went the Destroyer route at all).

The only other thing I can think of that I might do before upgrading this account is work through survey to get Salvage. Everyone in the newbie corp sounds like they swear by doing Salvage runs early in your "career" to gain a lot of ISK. Some are saying that they average 3-5Mil ISK per hour by salvaging their missions...I have 3mil total after what I have earned and spent in a week so far.

It has been hard to find actual newbie help outside of the game, but I am assuming that getting Survey three and then Salvage 1 is all I need to try this out. Is it then a hit-or-miss chance to get salvage from wrecks in missions? Should I have a second ship on standby to go pick up the actual salvage?
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Ok so

To start, the destroyer is basically your frig killer when you first start playing. It's has better defenses and massively better offenses.

Later in life, or even earlier on, your destroyer will become your salvager. Salvaging is definitely the way to go in the beginning for isk making. I made just under a billion ISK my first month of playing, enough to pick up a second account. So yes, ASAP, get the salvaging skill, and get it up to level 3 so you have less fails, as the salvagers are a 10 second cycle. My current Salvoyer (destroyer set up as a salvager) has 4 salvager, and 4 tractors (get the skill for tractors as well!). But several people I know have various mixes of salvager and tractors sometimes 5/3, sometimes 6/2 , whatever floats your boat. Just like in most any game, the majority of your cash is going to come from cleaning up your mess, looting the 'corpses' and then 'skinning' them, for an easy fantasy themed comparison. as soon as you can find one and have the standings for it - get to to level 2 missions, you can do those no problem in frig/destroyers.

If you want a bigger ship, start training cruisers, etc. and work your way to battleships if you want. Before I knew much about the game, all I knew was I wanted to fly all kinds of ships. So I trained the ship skills, without much of the related weapon/defense/etc skills.....but - I was doing the lower level missions no problem as I was still using my normal weaponry, but I was flying a big ass ship that had natural/inherint better defenses just due to the raw amount of shields/armor/structure that they had over frigates.

Seems like you are doing well as is - my biggest advice for money making is finding the level 2's, and salvage salvage. I would usually run 2 to 3 missions, bookmark all my deadspace pockets ( if the mission has you going through warp gates, you need a bookmark for each pocket), turn them in, then go back out with my Salvoyer, clean everything up, come back, and sell it off (or sometimes use the equipment retrieved). The numbers I was making was closer to 15+ mil an hour to start, and when I'd get harder 2's, and in to 3's, over 20 mil. I now run 4's and between mission rewards/bounties/and salvage i can make 40-50 mil a mission.

If you're out in Amarr space, I reccomend heading to Nahyeen system, as it has 2 lvl 1's, 2 lvl 3's, and a lvl 4 in system, and then 2 lvl 2's each 1 system away (These are all Ministry of Internal Order NPC corp)- so nice n compact. If you want to save a lot of time - you can head to Caldari space, and only 3 jumps from Jita (the main hub of all commerce) is a system called Poinen, that has a metric fuck ton of lvl 1-4 agents between 2 npc corps. The advantage to poinen is a lot of people who set up buy orders will do up to 3 jumps away, and conveniently...poinen is 3 jumps from jita, so you don't have to make a trip there to get best prices when you're selling.

-Cadalano
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Thanks for the rundown, Py. I started up a trial account again (lost my old account from years ago). I am student teaching this spring, so this game will allow me to train skills during the day and night, and I can still play relatively casually during the few hours I have available.
I'm Gaius Caesarion if you guys want to look me up.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Good info. Survey2 should be done tomorrow. I believe Survey3 was needed for Salvage. I hadn't seen anything about the tractors. What are those? Also, what did you mean about using ISK for another account?
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Look up a Salvager I in game for the req skills. And in eve you can buy and sell accounts for isk through the forums. Fully legit/supported, etc. Hell, you can buy game time with in game currency perfectly legally as well.

Only caveat is the seller has to be the one who pays the character transfer fee. I started Pyrello as a pure combat char, later on, picked up Chi Persei as a Mining/Combat support person, and a few months later picked up Saya Sheridan as a Research/mining/combat support char.

The obvious advantage to having multiple chars, is if there's a few things you want to do, you can have them training in parallel. So lets say I was working on missile skills for py, I'd have exploration/scanning skills for chi, and invention skills for saya going, all at the same time.

-Cadalano
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, I noticed that you could only train one skill at a time on an account. I can see why, but it kind of sucks if I want a combat focus on one character and a production/mining focus on another. I will have Survey 3 on Sunday, and I can train Salvage once I get that done. That should leave me with a few days of my trial period to try that out.

I moved to Nahyeen last night with my Destroyer. I had been so used to using lasers that I didn't realize how much capacitor drain they were putting on my ship. I added some hybrid turrets and I am tearing through level one missions now. I will have to go find those level two missions in that area to increase the challenge a bit.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

lol, thanks Py. I thought there was some kind of bug in the wallet disply when I checked my balance after a mission this morning.

How do you add people to the People & Places buddy list?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Any good tips for a beginner, i just joined, and found out that after the tuturial are done, you get SO creamed if you are in an Ibis ship, the beginner ship.
trying to learn skills to get a Merlin frigate so i can actually fight, getting REALLY tired of 10 min mining runs yielding 5-6K pr run.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Did you not get an upgraded ship through missions? One of my newbie missions (after the tutorial) gave me a better Frigate.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

No, the first agents missions finished without me getting a new ship, he referred me to another guy who gave me a mission that require me to kill 3 pirates that the 5 times it tried kill me without me being able to even finish the shield on the first one.
And gonna fail that mission later, due to the time limit :(
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I am guessing the missions are different for Amarr then. I think I got an Executioner on my 3rd mission after the tutorial.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

whoa, just finished selling off my first set of salvage from a mission. 1 mission and I made almost 2.5mil 0.o Not counting loot and rewards for the mission itself.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Whee, i got a better ship. Mainly by accident, but now i got a Kestrel and 2 nice launchers.
I had my Condor ship, and flew out of my main base area, and some guy had left 2 containers outside with the name "Keep it :)". I looted them, thinking some nice guy left stuff for us newbies. Result in being attacked, since he had put them there as bait, looting items from a container make you prey to the guy you looted from. First i docked in again, should just have stayed there, but didnt know, and flew out again, got attacked again, tried to warp away, he followed and warp jammed me, tried to extort 100K from me, then killed me when i didnt pay.
Mentioned it in the rookie channel and some nice guy gave me 1 mil, and some hints :). So now im up and trying to do some missions again.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

lol, yeah, there are a lot of people setting traps like that in the newbie areas. I guess they have to get their pvp practice somewhere, and they might as well do it with a target that cannot fight back. Don't you get a box telling you that you will basically be open for attacks if you open the cargo?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Yes you do, didnt think of that, when someone nice left some cargo for me.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Went with an active subscription this morning. I hope to be able to fly in my Omen this weekend. Now I just have to figure out what kind of weapon skills I want to train! I can see where a person could "waste" a lot of time with unnecessary skill training in this game.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Im still considering if i should buy it or not, kinda fun, but might get boring fast, not sure yet.
Just managed to get the 900K to afford Salvage, so hopefully in a day or two, i can start salvaging.
Any tips on good ships for that? My Kestrel is a NICE ship for combat, with shield and armor regen, and 3 malkuth missile launchers. Flaming death from 18500 km away :). But i cant fit salvagers on it, so need another ship.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I am Amarr, so my ships might be a bit different. I went with the Amarr Destroyer.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Im Caldari.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Ok, i was wrong, can fit Salvager 1 on a Kestrel :). Tried that today, and in 2 drone missions (those horrible long ones where you have to run away 20 times, depenind on the drones), i earned around 2.5 mil on the salvage and looted stuff from the drones :)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Playing the trial and having fun. Followed Py's advice and spent my first mill getting salvage. I made another mill in no time flat and bought my destroyer. Other than training towards cruisers, i'm not sure what else I should work on...like if I need to train weapons up another tier or not.

Anyways, my question is...wtf are the ship's logs and tags for? I've got a collection of them. The logs aren't sellable, and the tags say they're worth something if you turn them into the right people...but who are these people?!

I'm Raeryth.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I have run across an Amarr NPC for some of the tags. I actually got a mission for them at a time when they seemed to stop dropping for me, and I ended up failing it. I cannot remember which system it was in, but the icon was a triangle pointed down with a vertical line in the middle. It was also Yellow where other icons were white.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Tags are for the Loyalty Points trading. If you open the Loyalty Points window, and look at all items, you can see some of them require both LPs and tags.

As for what to do, its hard to find out. Im Caldari, and im focusing on missiles/shield. I got a Cormoran destroyer as a salvage ship (4 salvagers, 4 tractor beams tomorrow when i got skills for it, 3 capacitor rechargers, 1 microwarp drive, and a cargo hull expander), and traning skills towards getting a Caracal missile boat.

To save time, do NOT have any salvagers on your ship, go all DPS. Kill all on mission, make one bookmark pr Acceleration Gate on one of the wrecks (acceleration gates disapear after mission are complete, but wrecks dont). Then go complete the mission, change to your salvage ship, and go to the booksmarks and salvage all the wrecks. Save a load of time, AND having 4 salvagers and tractor beams going > flying around getting 5% chance to salvage every 10 sec (ok, 15% for me, i got Salvage 3 by now).

I'm Hesten Gnyffa ingame if you need tips, or got tips ;)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Good to know about the tags. Any reason to keep ships logs? They can't even be sold. Only reprocessed for like 2 units.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

So, I have been using my Omen for Level 1 missions, and I recently finished getting Amarr Frigate to 5 and learning the Battlecruiser skill. I am currently working on the other two skills for the Assault Frigate class (Engineering and Mechanic I think), but I am really wondering what I should be working towards. I know that I want to move "up" to level 2 missions, but my security level is still 0.07. What am I missing here? Is it really just this slow to move up? Also, should I bother going with some of the more "specialized" ship types, or should I work towards Battleships? I have no problem with sticking with my Cruiser for now, but I still feel the need to be working my skill training towards a set goal.

One note about using my Cruiser that I am not liking is my shitty range. As an Amarr my focus is on lasers over other weapons. My "optimal" range feels like it is between 6k-12k which means I am relying on my 2-3 drones to damage ships that get in too close. This has almost backfired a few times, and it leads me to having to spend more time than I should have to finishing missions as I try to get some distance from targets.
Tuberok
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tuberok »

Just started playing this with an old school EQ friend. Played it back in beta and notice a ton of great improvements. We will probably be playing this on a casual basis for at least a few months unless of course it gets way old before then. Anyone else still playing?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I still play occasionally. I skilled up to get an Assault Ship, Battleships, Battlecruisers, etc., but I cannot seem to figure out one direction to go in order to actually do anything :(