Oblivion Expansion: Shivering Isles

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

The New Oblivion Thread!!

Post by Neziroth »

Where'd the old one go anyhow?

I finished the main quest tonight, and I loved every second of it.
[Show]
The end where Martin summons Akatosh (sp) to fight Mehrunes Dagon was awesome, btw. I almost peed myself when I saw Dagon
I also finished the Dark Brotherhood Quest and did 3 of the 4 Daedra Shrine quests. I can't find a Black Soul Stone to summon the 4th Daedra Lord. Anyone know where to get one?

I ended the main quest as a level 21 custom stealth / melee / archer class, and I'm like totally unkillable! I can ruin a full town without breaking a sweat heh. <3 my HP stealer sword and 42 AC and like 50% magic resistance, etc =)

This game had / still has me hooked, my next class is going to be like a Paladin from EQ I think.

I have no idea how any of you can play this without lockpick skills, it would drive me nuts not being able to open locked chests.

Share your thoughts / progress so far!
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

There are like 12 daedra shrine quests.

Once you figure the trick to lockpicking, it's easy. I can open very hard locks with like 10 LP skill. I rarely break a pick.
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

Black soul stone
[Show]
You get one when you are doing one of the last Mage Guild quest. You are scouting a shrine and a necromancer comes out from a cave and crafts one.
I want an expansion nooooow.
cweeedit cwuunch
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

Once you figure the trick to lockpicking, it's easy. I can open very hard locks with like 10 LP skill. I rarely break a pick.
Psssssssst what's the trick?
[Show]
please!

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: The New Oblivion Thread!!

Post by Hesten »

Neziroth wrote:Where'd the old one go anyhow?
Well, Midnyte posted in it, so we had to delete it to cencor him.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

The thread was just another victim of the "DATABASE CATASTROPHE OF '06"
miir and I are best friends. <3
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I just had my horse die on me today. NO fair, i came out of a dungeon after some killing, and when i get out of it, i see it drop down, no enemies nearby, and when i loot it, i find 3 elven arrows.

Know if theres any way to make sure your horse dont die spontaniously on you like that? Sucks to loose a 5K horse when you werent even near it when it happened.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Hesten wrote:I just had my horse die on me today. NO fair, i came out of a dungeon after some killing, and when i get out of it, i see it drop down, no enemies nearby, and when i loot it, i find 3 elven arrows.

Know if theres any way to make sure your horse dont die spontaniously on you like that? Sucks to loose a 5K horse when you werent even near it when it happened.
you could pay real money for horse armor!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Hesten wrote:I just had my horse die on me today. NO fair, i came out of a dungeon after some killing, and when i get out of it, i see it drop down, no enemies nearby, and when i loot it, i find 3 elven arrows.

[hide]You could do the DB quests and get the unkillable horse.[/hide]
Sabek
Just Sabek
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Sabek wrote:

[hide]You could do the DB quests and get the unkillable horse.[/hide]
Ohhh, sounds good. Im working my way up in all 4 guilds ATM, so will get it eventually.

Oh, and i just found a unicorn to replace my horse. No clue how good it is.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Hesten wrote:Oh, and i just found a unicorn to replace my horse. No clue how good it is.
The unicorn is actually something you eventually will need to kill for a quest. Also it has the downside of attacking you if you get close to it with your weapon unsheathed.
Sabek
Just Sabek
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Sabek wrote:
Hesten wrote:Oh, and i just found a unicorn to replace my horse. No clue how good it is.
The unicorn is actually something you eventually will need to kill for a quest. Also it has the downside of attacking you if you get close to it with your weapon unsheathed.
What does this mean?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

miir wrote:
Sabek wrote:
What does this mean?
It means the beta is starting so get your emails in now to get a beta spot. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hmm, can i kill the unicorn now and loot whatever it is i need, or do i have to keep it alive till i get the quest?.
Guess ill just go buy a new horse till i get the DB one. got 70K and not much to spend it on, already got the Skingrad house (although for some reason, the quest didnt end after i bought all i could, and got the maid)
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Hesten wrote:Hmm, can i kill the unicorn now and loot whatever it is i need, or do i have to keep it alive till i get the quest?.
Guess ill just go buy a new horse till i get the DB one. got 70K and not much to spend it on, already got the Skingrad house (although for some reason, the quest didnt end after i bought all i could, and got the maid)
Yea you can kill the unicorn now.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Sabek wrote:
I have the same problem with my wife. Apparently "no" means "no"
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

The horsie I got for the DB sanctuary 'cleansing' is unkillable?

Yay! :D Such pretty red eyes too. <3

I started a custom class last night to try and be able to control leveling so I can have abilities up to snuff. Forgot the build though...maybe later.
en kærlighed småkager
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Anyone know a good place to buy scrolls? I am doing the mage quest when you have to cast the four spells on that pillar and I cast the 3rd and 4th one out of order, so I need to find a place to buy the scroll with an "add magica" effect to complete.

help!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Moonwynd wrote:
Sabek wrote:The unicorn is actually something you eventually will need to kill for a quest. Also it has the downside of attacking you if you get close to it with your weapon unsheathed.
I have the same problem with my wife. Apparently "no" means "no"
:D
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Sabek wrote:
Hesten wrote:Hmm, can i kill the unicorn now and loot whatever it is i need, or do i have to keep it alive till i get the quest?.
Yea you can kill the unicorn now.
Hehe, found a mod that made the unicorn not attack me, but its going down anyways, since it still like to wander if you get off it at an inn or something.
Btw, is Ebony armor some of the best in the game? Not sure if i should augment it, or keep the sigil stones for better armor. Found a NICE one that give 75 feet of light, considering putting it on my boots or helmet.

Oh, and found a NICE bug. Doing some quest where you have to find the mace Rockshatter for some lady whos husband stole it and ran away. When you loot it from him, you can go back and loot it again later, found that out when i went down to clear the rest of the dungeon. So got a UBER mace with 0 weight, and completed the quest :).

Oh, and anyone know how i get rid of bugged quests? ATM i got the following:
"Buying a House in Skingrad" although i bought everything and got the maid.
Got a vampire quest because i asked Vincent about vampire a cure for vampirism after i completed the quest, gotta talk to a mage in Imperial City, but he wont answer me because i already completed the quest.
And i got the Arena completed, but i dont wanna have that stupid quest entry about the weekly games. My quest window is cluttered enough already.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Just press '~', click on your horse and type 'resurrect'; then press return.

Also, the 'best' armor in the game is glass armor, not daedric. If you have fully maxed light armor and heavy armor, and you put on a suit of full daedric, then take it off and put on a suit of full glass... The glass armor will give your character a higher AC. Doesn't have to be specifically 'glass' armor, it just has to all be 'light armor' including your shield so you can sub in daedric artifacts as you wish. This is only true with maxed light armor skill btw.

PS for some real fun,
[Show]
if you have access to the Chameleon spell 6 grand soul gems, and an altar of enchanting, take any unenchanted suit of armor to the altar, and enchant all 6 pieces. Put it on, and grats on immortality.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Avestan wrote:Anyone know a good place to buy scrolls? I am doing the mage quest when you have to cast the four spells on that pillar and I cast the 3rd and 4th one out of order, so I need to find a place to buy the scroll with an "add magica" effect to complete.

help!
If anyone is doing that quest, be VERY careful what scrolls you use right away. Be careful of your targets.
[Show]
check the chest nearby that room, it will have a 'fortify magicka (other)' scroll. You need to use that on the pillar. If you've already used that, you'll have to either make your own scroll at a scroll making altar (whatever the hell they're called) or use the console to add a new one to your inventory.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

noel wrote:

Just press '~', click on your horse and type 'resurrect'; then press return.

Also, the 'best' armor in the game is glass armor, not daedric. If you have fully maxed light armor and heavy armor, and you put on a suit of full daedric, then take it off and put on a suit of full glass... The glass armor will give your character a higher AC. Doesn't have to be specifically 'glass' armor, it just has to all be 'light armor' including your shield so you can sub in daedric artifacts as you wish. This is only true with maxed light armor skill btw.

PS for some real fun,
[Show]
if you have access to the Chameleon spell 6 grand soul gems, and an altar of enchanting, take any unenchanted suit of armor to the altar, and enchant all 6 pieces. Put it on, and grats on immortality.
Hehe, thanks, ill keep my sigil stones till i get some Daedric armor then, since my heavy armor skills are at 80+, and my light armor is like 30 :).

Btw, MAJOR downer with the reward from the Arena heavy armor, nice stat boost, but its only ONE AC better than my ebony cuirass, and its counting as 3 or 4 slots of armor, gonna put it in a box in my house somewhere, not worth wearing.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Since the other thread is gone.. can someone post the proper order in which to do the four classes or professions or whatever it is? I remember reading in the other thread that you had to do them in a certain order to be able to do all four. Since I'm going to be starting this game shortly, just wnated to know the proper order to do that so I don't have to start from scratch later on.

Thanks!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Alledgedly it was:
Fighter, Mage, Thief, Dark Brotherhood.

In my experience, I've been able to do all of them in any order except DB which I saved for last and/or killed the guy that first approaches you.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I did DB, then Thief, then Mage. Screw Fighter. I think the only thing you have to worry about is one of the Thief's guild quests (like the second-to-last one) when you have to steal an arrowhead from a guy in the Mage guild, be careful not to kill him.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Just as info, a Daedric Longsword with a highest level sigil stone enchantment, so it get 25 frost dmg pr hit = NICE in Oblivion zones.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

where can I find a scroll making altar?
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Avestan wrote:where can I find a scroll making altar?
Yeah, thats what I want to know. I fucked up that quest already and had to abandon the mages guild until I figure out what to do next.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Who cares about scroll making altars, go beat up Oblivion Gates and you can get better enchantments anyway, that dont require mage guild access. ;)
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

ok lol I feel dumb but...

I beat the main story, I closed 7 or 8 gates, i don't know. I didn't know you could make enchantments out of the oblivion stones.

How and where do you do it?

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Neziroth wrote:ok lol I feel dumb but...

I beat the main story, I closed 7 or 8 gates, i don't know. I didn't know you could make enchantments out of the oblivion stones.

How and where do you do it?
Its hard and complicated, but ill try to make a guide :):

1. Get to the top of an Oblivion Tower.
2. Save the game BEFORE you pick up the Sigil Stone.
3. Loot a Sigil Stone.
4. Look at it. If you dont like the effect, reload your game and grab it again, the stones powers are randomized on pickup, so just keep reloading till you get one you like.
5. Go into inventory, click on the stone. That will make the enchantment window come up.
6. Choose a weapon/armor to put it on.
7. Give it a name. Keep it short, or you cant read the full name in the inventory list.
8. Press Create.
9. Enjoy your new enchanted gear.

This can be done anywhere, AND (i have read, i dont have access to mage guild yet, so havent confirmed it) the effects on the stones should be better than any normal enchantment you can get.
Note that the type of stone you get vary with levels, you need to be level 17+ to get the best stones..

Descendant Sigil Stone -- Level 1-4
Subjacent Sigil Stone -- Level 5-8
Latent Sigil Stone -- Level 9-12
Ascendent Sigil Stone -- Level 13-16
Transcendent Sigil Stone -- Level 17 and up

ATM i got the following gear enchanted with sigil stones (all Trancedent Sigil Stones):
Daedric Boots with 125 feather (make you able to carry 125 more weight)
Daedric Helmet with 75 feet Light effect (dont need to use light spells any more)
Daedric Greaves with 25 to Blade skill
Daedric Greaves with 25 to Blunt skill
Daedric Cuirass with 125 feather
Daedric Longsword with 25 frost damage
Daedric Dagger with 20 sec Soul Trap spell
Daedric Bow with 25 shock damage
No gloves, cant find those stupid daedric gloves anywhere :(

ALL of the effects on weapons are 50+ charges, and with the soul trap dagger and the Azura’s Star the ONLE time i ran out of charges on a weapon was in some dungeon where ALL the mobs in there was too high level soul to fit in the Star.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I am just trying to complete the mage line of quests. My equip is fine. I just want to see the content.

Is a scroll making altar the same as a spell making altar?
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I dont think it is the same one, I have only found enchant and create spell altars in the mage guild. I need a damage magicka scroll so I can finish that damn mage quest. Though, if I can just find a damage magicka spell I'm sure I can make it into a spell to finish it.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:I dont think it is the same one, I have only found enchant and create spell altars in the mage guild. I need a damage magicka scroll so I can finish that damn mage quest. Though, if I can just find a damage magicka spell I'm sure I can make it into a spell to finish it.
You DO know that a cupboard in that dungeon got a damage and a fortify magica spell, right?
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Hesten wrote:
Asheran Mojomaster wrote:I dont think it is the same one, I have only found enchant and create spell altars in the mage guild. I need a damage magicka scroll so I can finish that damn mage quest. Though, if I can just find a damage magicka spell I'm sure I can make it into a spell to finish it.
You DO know that a cupboard in that dungeon got a damage and a fortify magica spell, right?
Yeah, I fucked it up, I used it in the wrong order and didn't think it would be hard to get another. Oh well, I'm about to beat the main quest anyway and my hero is level 33. Guess I'll just say fuck it, I'm getting tired of playing for now haha.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:
Hesten wrote:
Yeah, I fucked it up, I used it in the wrong order and didn't think it would be hard to get another. Oh well, I'm about to beat the main quest anyway and my hero is level 33. Guess I'll just say fuck it, I'm getting tired of playing for now haha.
Hehe, i use the autosave for those kind of fuckups :). Only failed me when i became a vampire, because i didnt notice for 4 game days :(.
Level 27 here, and still on the mission where you have to find some spies lurking around the Blade fortress.
And im SO tired of Oblivion gates, havent even bothered to go into the last 4, they so predictable, like the aylied ruins a lot more :).
But i only want to complete this game once (50+ hours so far, and not close to finishing, dont want to repeat that), so ill try to do everything i can on this go :)
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Found this article over at Gamespot, about various mods for oblivion that make it look nicer, and a few functionality mods.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6148788/index.html
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Yay, finally am able to play this. +5 visually stunning points for sure ;)
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Dregor Thule wrote:Yay, finally am able to play this. +5 visually stunning points for sure ;)
You did remember to go to the link i provided to get the nice mods there, right? Make it prettier, and the larger map/inventory are a lifesaver.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I bought this game with my 360 the other day, and I had a few questions.

about 25% of the time or so when I am running around outdoors, movement seems to be a bit choppy, is this normal?

I have also had 2 times over my 6 hours or so of playing where the game has froze and it told me the disc could not be read, and I had to restart.

So I took a look at the disk, and there is a spot about the size of a nickel on it that is ... its hard to explain, but i guess maybe its a little "lighter" then the rest of it.

Or, is this a symptom of a bad 360? I don't doubt that with my luck I do have a bad one.

Also, I picked assassin as my class. From what I read above is this not what I should do to be able to have everything available to me? I just do not want to do something now that will piss me off 20 hours into the game.

Oh yeah, and is there a thread already here with info on how to get your pc and xbox working together?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Also, I picked assassin as my class. From what I read above is this not what I should do to be able to have everything available to me? I just do not want to do something now that will piss me off 20 hours into the game.
You'll figure out on your own after several 20-hour trips through the game that you could have done something better. Don't worry too much about it yet.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ok, question.

How in the hell do you cure the vampiric curse thing you get if a vampire touches you ?
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

If you go to a temple and pray, many of the effects are removed from you, Funk. Either that or talk to an acolyte in any of the cities temples.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Funkmasterr wrote:Ok, question.

How in the hell do you cure the vampiric curse thing you get if a vampire touches you ?
It can be cured with Cure disease spells or potions, or cured in temples. IF you let it run fro 3 days without a cure, you turn into a vampire.

You get strenght bonuses, can hypnotize people and so forth, the longer you go without drinking blood, the more like a vampire you become, and the power power you get, BUT you also start to hurt in sunlight, cant fast travel in sunlight, scare people you want to talk to, and so on. You can do a quest to get vampirism cured if you want to get rid of it.
Personally i found it VERY irritating i could only fast travel at night, almost died a few times because the game messed up on loading savegames, so i started outside at sunlight with like NO HP although i was at full health when i had saved it. So i ended up doing the quest to cure it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thanks guys :!:
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

You're sorry you're straight? I don't hate on homosexuals, but I'm glad to be straight.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Oblivion Expansion: Shivering Isles

Post by Neziroth »

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/elderscr ... newlyadded

Looks like it's going to be good.

30+ hours of gameplay
New towns
New quests
New Items
etc etc

My character's been hurting for some action 8)

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'm trying to score a 360 version of Oblivion so I can get the expansion for that platform. Great game + the achievements bonus =)
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

ooooooooooooooo