Age of Conan

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Age of Conan

Post by Aslanna »

I hpe this doesn't mean we're not getting an Age of Conan forum.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Holy hell, I totally forgot about this game. I thought it was great, graphically, but lost interest so quickly. Hopefully, they can follow this up with something more innovative. Hard to find MMOs that stick.
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I really liked this game on many levels but where it failed me was with the tradeskills. There were also a lot of little things that I know they would have eventually fixed. I suppose it isn't totally their fault either because many of us have been playing a different game for so long it is hard to change our ways.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I really liked this game on many levels but where it failed me was with the tradeskills. There were also a lot of little things that I know they would have eventually fixed. I suppose it isn't totally their fault either because many of us have been playing a different game for so long it is hard to change our ways.
No, it's pretty much their fault. They pushed the game out early to try and beat Warhammer, and as soon as it was released 90% of the dev team was moved to a new MMORPG, or the xbox version of AoC. I have absolutely no respect for the people running Funcom, and will never play another mmorpg from them without an extremely good reason (you think I would have learned this from AO).
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

most new MMO's that are developed will have to be "pushed out early" because of the amount of time and money to create a "viable" product on the MMO market. no one will ever be able to justify to their producers the risk of investing in a product aimed at seriously competing with World of Warcraft without grossly underestimating or misrepresenting the actual cost in time and funding. I guess my problem with the term "pushed out early" is its just an excuse. Imagine deciding that you're going to swim from New York to Liverpool, but you run out of energy on the way and die a terrible death. You don't get to say you decided to get to Liverpool early, you just fucking drowned.

same thing is happening with Warhammer right now-- is it ready to be released? sure, on a functional level. is it ready to actually compete with Warcraft? fucking hell no.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

cadalano wrote:most new MMO's that are developed will have to be "pushed out early" because of the amount of time and money to create a "viable" product on the MMO market. no one will ever be able to justify to their producers the risk of investing in a product aimed at seriously competing with World of Warcraft.

same thing is happening with Warhammer right now-- is it ready to be released? sure, on a functional level. is it ready to actually compete with Warcraft? fucking hell no.
I can't find the article now, but there was one which claimed an mmorpg would need a billion dollars for development to actually compete with WoW at the current time.

My problem with AoC wasn't the little bugs, it was that large portions of the game just were not implemented or did not work. Siege combat (trying this for the first time was tons of fun), any upper level instance, and about 50% of every classes abilities. Then came the "lies" from the developers about what they would be releasing (oh hey, instead we patched necros again). Warhammer is ready to be released, AoC was not imo.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I think it is a case of the ol "eyes are bigger than the stomach" kind of thing. Swimming from NY to Liverpool is huge undertaking ala VanGuard. What they need to do is scale it way down and then build from there. or swim across the bathtub first. Make a game where you have maybe 10 zones and 4-5 instances and a small playerbase and then improve from there. All these companies want it big and the want it now.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I don't blame the company for that, I blame the player-base. If you are aiming to make an MMO, you have to focus on the M (the first one) in MMO or you will not be able to even start building the base that you need to grow into the giant that some of these games could have potentially been. Players do not accept or stick with the games that are smaller or lacking more for them to do. Unfortunately, some games tend to go way overboard at first release rather than saving things for maybe an early expansion or addon.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

why the hell should a player throw away their time and money into a product that is directly inferior to others on the promise that their hard-earned cash will be used to improve the game and make it actually worth playing one day? are gamers the stewards of economic competition & quality control? no.. gamers are just consumers of a product.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I'm still playing this. . .fun game.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Age of Conan is three years old! To celebrate the anniversary we have opened your account for free play until the end of May! All you have to do is log in and start playing!
No thanks.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

See you in-game Spang
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Thought about downloading it to check out how things have changed, but I seem to remember being pissed about some change they made to my Dark Templar when I quit...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The best thing to come out of Age of Conan was the soundtrack.

In case you were missing it, here's Heiemo og nykkjen sung by Helene Boksle.

Hit those high notes!