Age of Conan

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Age of Conan

Post by Bubba Grizz »

OMG. that was hilarious.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I'm liking this game a lot, now.. I re-rolled on Bane as a Barbarian on Sunday, hit 19 and left Tortage last night.

I logged out right after getting to Conarch Village without even looking around... I'm a little disappointed that I can't go back. Like, in EQ, you're never shut out of Qeynos or Freeport... You could always go back to a familiar place. Oh well, I'll get over it.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:I'm liking this game a lot, now.. I re-rolled on Bane as a Barbarian on Sunday, hit 19 and left Tortage last night.

I logged out right after getting to Conarch Village without even looking around... I'm a little disappointed that I can't go back. Like, in EQ, you're never shut out of Qeynos or Freeport... You could always go back to a familiar place. Oh well, I'll get over it.

You can go back. There's a ship in Old Tarantia that will take you back to Tortage. (well an NPC beside the ship) in the docks area.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Look for a smuggler.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fash wrote:I'm liking this game a lot, now.. I re-rolled on Bane as a Barbarian on Sunday, hit 19 and left Tortage last night.

I got both my Tempest of Set and Shaman to level 20 and out of Tortage.
Still havent decided which one I will play.

Will make for better PVP with the 3 of us playing Cimmerians but the TOS is a totally fucking fun class.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Spang wrote:Best use of a horse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:Best use of a horse:

Might want to look a few posts up?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

More proof that AoC needs its own sub-forum!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:Here's proof that they need the consequence system in place for PvP

I just want to make the money to buy a horse to do this once or twice myself!

Oh, it's so much fun. The cliffs in Eigsadkffk Mountains work really well for it too.

As far as the changes go, that's definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will be easy to find the lore quests and do them when you're 80, I don't feel like having to reroll another character just to see the lore.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Thanks for the help finding the Blessed Caves. As it turns out I was camped about 15 feet from the climbing point and didn't even know to look for that. Just not used to having to climb to places which is cool.

I'm only 31 atm and found out that you can get your resource gathering profession at level 20. So I went to Poontang and started as a stone cutter. I like running around that zone because out of no where you can get hit by mobs that just appear. Like the Jealous Prospector or some Crow Picts. The best one though was as I was running down the road and saw a NPC that I could talk to but as I got closer the NPC poofed and became a bandit and it said, "I can't believe you fell for that". Then I killed her.

I have been marking waypoints at all the stone deposits I find so I can get to them again later. Kind of like how WoW marks it on your screen when you are searching for herbs and such only not automatic. I like this better as it shouldn't be so easy to find the stuff.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Btw, you can take all the gathering skills at lvl 20, and I recommend doing so. You only get one profession type, but those aren't chosen till level 40, and the gathering can be really important for your guild's keep, so I recommend picking them up. The exp from the quests, and the follow up gathering quests is pretty good.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Ashur wrote:
Fellow Hyborians!
Irony: Cimmerians and Stygians are not "Hyborians".

Hyborians were barbarian followers of the god Bori and are indeed now the common people of several areas east of the Pictish Wilderness. The primary Hyborian Kingdom is Aquilonia, but Corinthia, Ophir and several other nation states are Hyborian-based.

So "Hyborian" technically only refers to the Aquilonian players. ;)

But I suppose it's easier for people to consider the land "Hyboria" and themselves "Hyborians since Bob Howard didn't really name the land as a whole, as he thought of the land as pre-historical Earth.

OK, geek mode off... back to your combo-button-mashing!
I was reading some of Howard's Conan stories recently, and actually noticed this. I guess at some point, they decided to change it from "Hyborian Age" to actually being Hyboria, even though the place is Earth in 14000 - 10000BC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age has some good info, and many links to more lore!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Spang wrote:More proof that AoC needs its own sub-forum!
Youtube links would need to be in an AoC - Youtube sub-sub-forum.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

People are saying this game has had the most successful launch since WoW.

Give it it's own forum.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Yeah, the servers work!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:People are saying this game has had the most successful launch since WoW.

Give it it's own forum.
I hear Windows Vista is pretty popular. Better give it its own forum too!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:People are saying this game has had the most successful launch since WoW.

Give it it's own forum.
I hear Windows Vista is pretty popular. Better give it its own forum too!
Since this board was developed based on relationships forged while playing a MMORPG, and we continue to play together in the latest versions, and we have a history of creating individual forums for MMORPGs, your Vista "joke?" is pretty fucking stupid.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Since this board was developed based on relationships forged while playing a MMORPG, and we continue to play together in the latest versions, and we have a history of creating individual forums for MMORPGs, your Vista "joke?" is pretty fucking stupid.
Not as stupid as requesting a new forum for every new fucking MMORPG that people decide to take up. As was noted earlier in this thread there's been more than one game that people clamored for a separate forum only to have the game, or their interest, fizzle out not that long after.

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

So, does it take longer than 2 minutes to set up a sub forum?... does it take longer than 2 minutes to lock/delete one if it dies?

I'd put money on it that more time has been wasted arguing over whether one should be created than it would take to create one. I'd ask what the negative impact is of having an extra forum... I don't think there is one.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Fash wrote:So, does it take longer than 2 minutes to set up a sub forum?... does it take longer than 2 minutes to lock/delete one if it dies?

I'd put money on it that more time has been wasted arguing over whether one should be created than it would take to create one. I'd ask what the negative impact is of having an extra forum... I don't think there is one.
You could also make the forum hidden, unless the person is in the "age of conan" group, pretty easily. You can even make the "age of conan" group public so users can join it themselves.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Since this board was developed based on relationships forged while playing a MMORPG, and we continue to play together in the latest versions, and we have a history of creating individual forums for MMORPGs, your Vista "joke?" is pretty fucking stupid.
Not as stupid as requesting a new forum for every new fucking MMORPG that people decide to take up. As was noted earlier in this thread there's been more than one game that people clamored for a separate forum only to have the game, or their interest, fizzle out not that long after.
I'm not requesting a forum for every new MMORPG, I'm requesting one for Age of Conan.

Either way, it's funny to see you get all vagified as if a seperate forum is somehow a huge inconvenience for you. Why would you even care?

I say drop LotR and add Conan.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Either way, it's funny to see you get all vagified as if a seperate forum is somehow a huge inconvenience for you. Why would you even care?
I care because I can. Thanks for caring about why I even care.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Don't care.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

There's like 5 people who are regularly playing and posting in this thread. That's hardly demonstrates are requirement for yet another forum.

As I said before... Create as many AOC threads are you want. If there's truly a need for a subforum, they'll all get moved into any new AoC subforum that gets created.

Stop being such a faggot, Fairweather.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I definitely think there's no harm in waiting a few weeks to see if AoC ends up being a 2-week wonder for VVdians like almost every other MMO (City of Heroes, Vanguard, LotRO, I'm looking at you!). If interest persists THEN go to the trouble of making another sub-forum.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
I'm not requesting a forum for every new MMORPG, I'm requesting one for Age of Conan.

Either way, it's funny to see you get all vagified as if a seperate forum is somehow a huge inconvenience for you. Why would you even care?

I say drop LotR and add Conan.
Because it's another forum that will falsely make us all think there is a new topic about the only important thing in video games (the consoles forum), and we don't need the distraction :D

That and there is no point in creating a forum that everyone here including you knows will not last more than 6-8 months..
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

All this discussion about sub forums should go into a sub forum about discussions for new sub forums.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Truant wrote:All this discussion about sub forums should go into a sub forum about discussions for new sub forums.
Done and done!
en kærlighed småkager
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Dregor Thule wrote:I definitely think there's no harm in waiting a few weeks to see if AoC ends up being a 2-week wonder for VVdians like almost every other MMO (City of Heroes, Vanguard, LotRO, I'm looking at you!). If interest persists THEN go to the trouble of making another sub-forum.
Exactly.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

noel,
I really like your new avatar. :)

This comment should go in a new sub forum about avatar discussion.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Truant wrote:noel,
I really like your new avatar. :)

This comment should go in a new sub forum about avatar discussion.
We should actually all just have our own sub forum of each forum and sub forum. Then we can have add sub forums of our sub forums on our own. For example you could have a "nick" subforum, then you could have a "Why I hate America" sub forum of that sub forum, and then a "Midnyte" and a "funkmasterr" , etc sub forums of that sub forum of that sub forum of that forum.

Pretty simple, really.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Each time someone posts in one of the other AoC, also post again in here with a link to that thread with a brief description of the post and then provide a link back to this thread from the other thread for convenience.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Exactly. Having everything in one thread is much better than having it sprawled all over! I thought we learned that in the Rappelz thread.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

We should actually just have one large thread that can contain any number of topics and subtopics. There is also a great possibility for numerous tangents and the like.

As a DBA, I can truly appreciate denormalization of data--especially when it is done for no apparent reason other than to discriminate against gamers.

:P
en kærlighed småkager
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

Zygar on Thog...Assassin, just hit lvl 20. If someone starts a guild shoot me an invite plz :)
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I joined a guild called Section VIII on Thog. They seem to be pretty cool so far though not a lot of guild chat chatter as they are mostly in vent all the time. I wanted to join a guild that had the capacity to build a Guild City.

My frame rate jumped from 20fps to 120fps on low and 75fps on high. I love my new machine.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The playerbase of this game is like 10 times fucking worse than WOW.
It's really starting to sour me on the game.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

miir wrote:The playerbase of this game is like 10 times fucking worse than WOW.
It's really starting to sour me on the game.
Good, quit already. What, no Furor to go cocksuckle on? Cry more QQ
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Heh, you're still butthurt about being embarrased by FOH back in Kunark/Velious?
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

This game isn't ready for retail at all. I'll probably just get to 80 and put it down for a year when they are finished beta testing. At least it doesn't take forever to level.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:This game isn't ready for retail at all. I'll probably just get to 80 and put it down for a year when they are finished beta testing. At least it doesn't take forever to level.
I think that's been said about nearly every MMO that's been released.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

that may be. but its never been as accurate an observation until now. excepting vanguard, possibly.

its clear as day that AoC is largely unfinished. riddled with bugs and incomplete functionality and severely lacking any meaningful content once you get past the first-impression phase. if you disagree then your standards are simply too low, or you are a fanboy.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Call me a fanboy if you want but I have personally experienced no bugs or seen any incomplete functionality. Granted, I am only level 28 but if the game continues on as it has for me then I would be quite pleased.

I will say from experience that this game is a hell of a lot more stable than other MMO's when it first released. I only started a couple weeks ago so maybe I missed the worst of it. If I did then I would say it was fairly smooth as far as other games.

The big thing I like about this game is that I can solo play it without sitting around. I am just starting to get to the point where I need a group for anything and even that I can attribute to me being too greedy and forging into areas where I don't belong yet. I have heard of some quest "dead" levels but I find that this game has almost too many quests at my level. I like the fact that I don't have to grind out levels killing 18,000 spiders. Even if a quest turns grey, you can still expect to get a hell of a lot of exp from completing it.
Deward
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Deward wrote:Call me a fanboy if you want but I have personally experienced no bugs or seen any incomplete functionality. Granted, I am only level 28 but if the game continues on as it has for me then I would be quite pleased.

I will say from experience that this game is a hell of a lot more stable than other MMO's when it first released. I only started a couple weeks ago so maybe I missed the worst of it. If I did then I would say it was fairly smooth as far as other games.

The big thing I like about this game is that I can solo play it without sitting around. I am just starting to get to the point where I need a group for anything and even that I can attribute to me being too greedy and forging into areas where I don't belong yet. I have heard of some quest "dead" levels but I find that this game has almost too many quests at my level. I like the fact that I don't have to grind out levels killing 18,000 spiders. Even if a quest turns grey, you can still expect to get a hell of a lot of exp from completing it.
It will die off in the late 40's to the 60's and beyond. Sure, you will still get the full quest XP when it is grey, but the amount of XP required goes up a LOT more in those levels.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Deward wrote: The big thing I like about this game is that I can solo play it without sitting around. I am just starting to get to the point where I need a group for anything and even that I can attribute to me being too greedy and forging into areas where I don't belong yet.
I made it to level 42 without grouping and I'm sure I can keep going without grouping.

I agree that some of the quests are unfinished. I experienced them in the Treasury and Pyramid although I was able to take advantage of the Treasury for some fast leveling in the late 30's and low 40's.

While the game was released unfinished, I've been impressed with the work they've put in since release, balancing classes, etc as well as fixing problems and their plans for added content.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Well, I've had the game just over a week and I'm about where Deward is: my guardian is 28 and I haven't seen massive issues yet. There have been lag spikes, and I've had some "client errors" but the game has been up steadily and playable, which is more than I can say for my first couple months of WoW. You can call me a bit of a fanboi if you want and it would be true to an extent: I grew up reading the stories by Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter and Robert Jordan (before he ever embarked on his Wheel of Time odyssey). Thus far I like what it has to offer and I look at it from the perspective that ALL of these games have issues at launch, when the reality of mass usage hits their infrastructure and thousands of minds start coming up with ways to churn through and leap over content.

As a fan of the books some of the little shit does bug me at times (like the fact that they call Redrik in Tortage an Aesir instead of a Vanir when the defining difference between the 2 was Aesir were the blond/Swedish types and the Vanir were redheads, or that they call the frost giants in Conall's valley "Ymir" as a racial label when he was the lord of the frost giants, as in Norse lore, and perhaps that the Cimmerians seem more semi-civilized than barbaric when you view something like Conarch village) but in the context of adapting it and making a playable/usable world to base a game in, and considering the atmosphere/feel of the world, it works for me. I'd like it to perhaps be a little more bawdy and shit: in Tortage, a pirate haven, there SHOULD be topless dancers in the bar and whilst I don't think we need pr0n movies, the ability to do a 30 sec lapdance or something with a wench would help the immersiveness (and provide a money sink if they need); hell a quest line starting with a hooker that tries to roll you would be totally in character for this world (thats why Conan was never rich for so long: he was always spending it/losing it on the wenches!).

What I also expect is a couple months of adjustments and content patches. Looking back at WoW, they kept adding in places like Maraudon and Dire Maul (not to mention raid content) to eliminate more of the leveling grind. I expect some of the same in AoC. I'm not a big PVPer (to be honest I can't see rolling on a PVP server unless it was an RP one where the ganking/griefing is held in check but some other ruleset) but the outline for their impending rule changes looks fairly sensible to me. I hope that the PVP system doesn't become the focus like the Arena seems to be in WoW.

The community seems hit and miss. I cant remember where I initially rolled but the OOC/Newplayer channel was non-stop "WoW sucks" and "WoW rules, this sucks" and it was annoying to the point that I rolled a toon on a different server and am now on Derketo. My interactions with others have been more limited (I did a lot of soloing aside from the destiny line) but mostly positive. There are kids (whose parents need a slap) and goldspammers/sellers but show me where there isn't these days. I do think a lot of the wannabe uberkids are heading to the PVP servers to try their hands at gankfest, but thats just a guess.

And if it sucks in a couple months, well, I control my credit card and account, not Funcom :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Yeah, I'm going to put this aside for a few months and come back to it later. Right now, with siege completely broken, my reason for playing is not working as intended. Once the massive PvP is in a more workable state, I will definitely be returning. I enjoy the game, but I won't continue to pay while that feature is broken.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I just read a bunch of pages and have no clue if there is a primary VV server. Where are peeps?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Avestan wrote:I just read a bunch of pages and have no clue if there is a primary VV server. Where are peeps?
I was on Thog for starting out but I am now on Mannaanaaaafdasd or however you spell it. I'm still playing a Guardian though as they just really appeal to my need to wade into a group of mobs and just destroy them.