Age of Conan

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Age of Conan

Post by Boogahz »

cadalano wrote: i actually did visit the outflow tunnels that you mentioned Winnow... after going through 4 identical curved tunnels with 2 or 3 snakes in it I decided to leave before i fell asleep. it reminded me of the totally bland sewer instances in City of Heroes with random vanilla spawns of the same mobs here and there, except this didnt have the excuse of being a dynamically created instance map.. or being a game that was released years ago where that could be passed off.
I had a few quests that lead me to this instance, and there were many other mob types. The snakes led to some human scavengers. There were then Feral Crocodiles (even a named one with a Crunchy-poo collar that dropped), more humanoids of higher level and differing types (more priests and casters than the first groups). While some of the spawns/items may have been based on the quest I has there for (Save the Princess quest was very funny btw), I got the feeling that it would have been the same even if a quest had not led me there.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Odd AoC forum post claims setting it to High produces better framerates, plenty of replies agree:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=36047
Press ESC *or F10*.
Go to Video Options.
Click "High". I don't care if your computer sucks. Click it and shut up.
Go to the Advanced Tab.
Disable shadows completely.
If you are on a laptop, scroll down to the system texture cache bar and maximize it.
Click Apply, then OK.

There is a bug that causes low settings to actually produce worse FPS than high settings. With the shadows disabled, you can actually play better on high settings than low.

-_-

So in my own instance during a quest my FPS went from 30-80! The world i'm usually at 30-50 which on low I ran 25-30. Weird!!!

When your FPS drops, make sure it's not the shader bug where it reverts to 3.0 from 2.0.

This worked wonders for me.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Weird. Apparently there were ton of stealth nerfs in todays patch, mostly to caster ae classes. No idea if they are confirmed or not.

Also, apparently the Mammoth is as fast as a horse now, but this could be wrong too. If they buffed mammoth speed, and not rhino, that would be a bunch of bullshit.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The only graphic problems I have experience are showing up with the map going to a grey background, which is followed by the minimap doing the same. I had to restart several times over the weekend to correct this.

I have seen a few posts about fixing the graphics such as:
So Funcom has really done some backwards ass shit when it comes to computer performance in AoC. Here's another way to increase your fps (it works, I tried it):
Volgon wrote:Press ESC *or F10*.
Go to Video Options.
Go to the Advanced Tab.
Disable shadows completely.
If you are on a laptop, scroll down to the system texture cache bar and maximize it.
Click Apply, then OK.
http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=36047

Make sure to change your shader settings from 3.0 to 2.0 AFTER YOU CHANGE ALL OTHER SETTINGS (the game autosets it back to 3.0 if you change it before you are finished).
hah, I was posting the same FPS info!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Aardor wrote:Let me know how SLI works, I'm currently trying to find how much AoC takes advantage of it.
Well I was getting mid 20's fps, put in the second card and enabled SLI and got mid 40's and a much smoother experience. I'm going to keep fiddling with it, but at first glance AoC makes good use of SLI.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I've been averaging 40-50fps in "outdoor" zones, and 20's in Old Tarantia with my single 3870.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Fash wrote:
Aardor wrote:Let me know how SLI works, I'm currently trying to find how much AoC takes advantage of it.
Well I was getting mid 20's fps, put in the second card and enabled SLI and got mid 40's and a much smoother experience. I'm going to keep fiddling with it, but at first glance AoC makes good use of SLI.
Thanks, I gave up on SLI due to the single monitor restrictions. I am going to get one of the new ATI or NVIDIA cards that come out in June, and sell my 8800gtx on ebay.

Todays patch definitely introduced some bugs!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

And the servers are back down for 4 hours. I don't think I have ever seen a community so upset about little things as the AoC community is.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aardor wrote:Weird. Apparently there were ton of stealth nerfs in todays patch, mostly to caster ae classes. No idea if they are confirmed or not.

Also, apparently the Mammoth is as fast as a horse now, but this could be wrong too. If they buffed mammoth speed, and not rhino, that would be a bunch of bullshit.
They added a cool down to Unholy Hands. After thinking about it, it was needed. It did a lot of AE damage, for very little mana. It's still a useful spell though.

I didn't see a difference in mammoth speed, but it did seem easier to maneuver.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Made me almost choke on my water at work on a conference call. Thank god I wasn't talking and was muted.

I may go back and give more to the cache.
- Ash
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aardor wrote:And the servers are back down for 4 hours. I don't think I have ever seen a community so upset about little things as the AoC community is.
Surprising considering what goes on over at the SoE EQ forums. Those people cry over everything!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aardor wrote:It's a shame both of the Ancient instances are bugged to hell, they could have been a really fun instance. Also Winnow, you can reset zones easily, and don't have to wait for a respawn timer. Just invite someone to your group while you're in the instance, leave the instance, leave the group, reenter, and it should be reset.
Does the person have to accept the group invite for this to work or can I invite a random person and then disband the group? Does the person need to be in the same zone or online? I could invite Bubba's character each time just to get the zone reset. That would really speed up leveling in the Treasury. Probably a level an hour 37-40.

I have no graphics performance issues with the 9600GT on medium game settings.

Someone invited me for a group instance zone yesterday but it was too late and I needed some rest. It was burning souls or something. I went there solo but the zone is always in Epic mode making the mobs hella tough for a solo player.

I'm taking AoC for what it is. The game isn't finished but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. People like to bitch about everything. Canceling AoC before the month you get when you buy the game might be a good idea if an effort isn't made to improve the high end content or if it looks like it might take longer than a month for them to get it going. I'm going to give it the full month before deciding. I've already gotten the entertainment value I was expecting from the game.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

I think they need to accept the group invite, but I am not entirely sure. You can use the same character over and over again, though. The method was basically the same method used for reseting instances in WoW before they put the option in the game to reset them.

Sanctum of the Burning Souls is fun, and has a really good weapon for a Dark Templar which drops every time. It's shitty that the one boss doesn't work/drop any loot, but the art/instance group epic encounter make up for it. I did it quite a few times (good experience, quests), and found it to be the most fun when we would pull 4+ mobs at once, instead of the traditional singles. Healers seemed insane to me at the time, healing the entire group with hots, and dpsing otherwise.

I agree with what you said about taking AoC for what it is. However, the high end content thing is a bit off. I am under the impression that high end content/raiding zones are there and tested, and the real lack of content is in the middle of the game. As far as getting the entertainment value, I absolutely agree. When I buy something, I look at it as "ok, will the entertainment provided be worth $49.99 to me, even if I quit the game after a month." The first week the game was out, I felt I got my money's worth.

Hopefully they fix some stuff in the (2nd) patch today.

And wow, people are really upset that they advertise as a DX10 game, but they're removing it as an option in game (i had it selected, wonder if it slows anything down!)
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Update Notes - 27th of May / 2
General

* Traders and Banks are now available again
* Fixed some server and client crashes
* Invite to groups is no longer case sensitive

GUI

* Added Character Right Click Menu to the Chat
Sweet. I give it an hour before someone finds a duping bug again. I wonder if mammoths go at horse speed still.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice to see the traders/banks back (not really back as they were never there for the final release last Tuesday)

It will be nice to see items I can't afford on the traders.

I see from the earlier patch that the level 70 Dark Templer spawned pet is working again! With the path I've chosen, I'll get that particular Feat as my specialty. I'm heading deep into the Depravity tree with just a few feats in Desecration.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Not sure but I think this game deserves its own spot up top with the other MMO games. More so than Lotro at least. (and I loved Lotro)
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Not sure but I think this game deserves its own spot up top with the other MMO games. More so than Lotro at least. (and I loved Lotro)
HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? THE GAME SAYS IT"S DX10 BUT IT ISN"T.

I thought I would mention that the music in this game is amazing. Normally I turn off all music in mmorpgs after listening through it once or twice, but so far I have left the music in AoC on.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

http://www.g4tv.com/mmoreport/videos/26 ... ecial.html

Interview with one of AoC's lead developers. They talk about why they chose certain ways to do things in the game, and the upcoming anti-griefing system.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I don't think I ever got the DX10 version to work in the beta, so I am not surprised about it being removed...but removed "as an option?" Does that mean that DX10 was still DX9?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:I don't think I ever got the DX10 version to work in the beta, so I am not surprised about it being removed...but removed "as an option?" Does that mean that DX10 was still DX9?
Yeah, that's my understanding.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

No Directx10 anymore or if there ever actually was an effect in selecting it before.

My question now is... performance wise, would this run better under 32bit XP or 64bit Vista?

I have been playing it in 64x Vista but with no DirectX10, I am thinking of trying it in XP.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

As far as I know, the DX10 version of the game as always been scheduled for release in August.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Heh... after this patch, I can't run the game. whole system either freezes 3 frames into the video or what would be the login screen, and the gpu fans go to maximum.

this did happen before.. the solution was to remove sli. lol. i'll get to that after i try a few more times.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

because the music's so cool, here's the lady responsible for all the moaning in the Egyptian AoC zones:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QSEUcIBCbLA

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Ok I followed all the advice on the forums about optimizing my setup for this game and I am still only getting at best 20fps.
My system is fairly good but I am thinking maybe my videocard needs to be upgraded. I currently have this setup.

eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT CO SE 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: 256-P2-N516
Item #: N82E16814130256

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3800BVBOX
Item #: N82E16819103562

Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model PDC2G3200LLK - Retail
Model #: PDC2G3200LLK
Item #: N82E16820220040

Am I woefully out of date already?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I'd think your GPU is your issue. I don't have actual FPS numbers for you, but I'm getting good performance with my 8800GT.

They're [relatively] inexpensive now too. Watch bensbargains.net or newegg for specials.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I'd think your GPU is your issue. I don't have actual FPS numbers for you, but I'm getting good performance with my 8800GT.

They're [relatively] inexpensive now too. Watch bensbargains.net or newegg for specials.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

You told him, three times, so it's true. Your processor is going to bottleneck you after you upgrade your card, but you should see a significant performance increase with a 8800GT, or similar card.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'd think your GPU is your issue. I don't have actual FPS numbers for you, but I'm getting amazing performance with my ATI 3870.

I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Is your draw distance minimized? That's a killer to FPS sometimes.

I just extended my view distance and it's more enjoyable (like seeing the Black Castle in the distance which is usually clouded in fog)

I upgraded my video card from the same one you have (7800GT) specifically for this game because I knew it would be taxing on the system. The 9600GT (just under 8800GT performance levels) run 150.00-170 now. Not bad for temp upgrade.

---

On another note, I see that Funcom censored some content last patch (messed with hooters of some of the NPCs, took out some of the more raunchy player emotes, and covered up some hooters. Someone said they changed some dialog as well.

What a bunch of bullshit. There's some petition going on over on the AoC forums.

This is an M rated game. I hate to see Funcom crumble under pressure after boasting about how the game was geared toward adults. The M rating along at least has a chance of keeping the kiddies away since only half can get around the M rating to buy or sub to the game.

One of the Funcom reps said they're looking into it to see if it was an error or intentional patching of the adult content.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Bah! Doing jury duty in a courthouse and the wifi connection is from the public library next door. It would appear that there's a bit of latency... :roll:

Sorry!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

They are censoring content now? wtf
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Canelek wrote:They are censoring content now? wtf
They are not.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I finally saw my first pair of breasts this morning.

I touched them.
Syndaen Crystalthorn
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Syndaen Crystalthorn »

Is there a server you guys are mostly playing on? I currently have a lvl 17 Syndaen on Zug.
Syndaen Crystalthorn
Lord Protector of Tunare
Knight of Truth
Lesbian Avenger
Keeper of "The List"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:They are censoring content now? wtf
It is confirmed now that the missing emotes are not out of the game but rather not available at the moment due to an issue with yesterday's update.

So all the emotes and what has been called "censored" content by players will be back in the game with one of the coming updates.
I meant to post this before I went to lunch. The emotes will be back. Not sure what or if anything else was messed with.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

The link was shortened with "..." in the middle. Doesn't work.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Syndaen Crystalthorn wrote:Is there a server you guys are mostly playing on? I currently have a lvl 17 Syndaen on Zug.

Boog - 40 Dark Templar on Doomsayer. Guild name is currently "Baby Knife Fight" to screw with someone about throwing a fit last night...then they realized there is a 7 day cooldown before you can change your guild name again.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Cimmeria - RP-PVP server. Character is "Scar".
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

42 Dark Templer on Thog (PvE)

I bought some nice upgrades to a few pieces of armor and weapon for pretty cheap now that the traders are back up. Probably spent 3-4 silver total and made a nice difference in stats.

Hitting 42 tonight. I was able to put a final Feat point in Incinerate Ether which gives me a nice big hitter damage spell to finish off mobs.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I think I'm the only one on Ajujo. It doesn't seem very populated. I like it like that.

There's a couple of fun quests in Noble District. You get to be a detective for one, while the other involves an NPC gold farmer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

These are my stats right after hitting 42.

I've focused on armor providing the most stamina and stamina regen.

Templ(a)r btw. Typo'd in previous post.

For DT's at least, everything revolves around stamina. Having a lot of it and regenerating it. HPs aren't as important and mana doesn't matter at all except once an hour to rebuff.

I also try to keep my Defense Rating maxed. When I hit 30 and bought new armor, I noticed that Defense rating is capped. I had 118 (126). That's the only time I've run into having too much defense and it only lasted a couple levels.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Time for a sub-forum!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Time for a sub-forum!
There's nothing I can do to affect a sub-forum, and frankly I'm not sure it's merited yet. No offense to you or anyone, but this is another in a series of MMOGs that's been released and we're only ~2 weeks into the release. I'm personally playing it and enjoying it, but again, it's a bit new to create another forum. There's a lot of interest now, but lets give it a few weeks before we create another forum.

There is nothing currently preventing you from making as many threads as you like regarding Age of Conan. If there are topics you want to discuss, I'd encourage you to create as many threads as you like. I'd further suggest the following: create as many threads as you want here in the VG forum with the subject heading of AOC: <title> That will make it that much easier should this game gain popularity or generate enough traffic to merit a subforum for us to move all the threads into the AOC forum.

Suvan (bar) and Suvar (con) on Thog.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Bullshit, we had a Vanguard sub-forum before the NDA was lifted!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Spang wrote:Bullshit, we had a Vanguard sub-forum before the NDA was lifted!
And look where that got us. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

noel wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote:Time for a sub-forum!
There's nothing I can do to affect a sub-forum, and frankly I'm not sure it's merited yet. No offense to you or anyone, but this is another in a series of MMOGs that's been released and we're only ~2 weeks into the release. I'm personally playing it and enjoying it, but again, it's a bit new to create another forum. There's a lot of interest now, but lets give it a few weeks before we create another forum.

There is nothing currently preventing you from making as many threads as you like regarding Age of Conan. If there are topics you want to discuss, I'd encourage you to create as many threads as you like. I'd further suggest the following: create as many threads as you want here in the VG forum with the subject heading of AOC: <title> That will make it that much easier should this game gain popularity or generate enough traffic to merit a subforum for us to move all the threads into the AOC forum.

Suvan (bar) and Suvar (con) on Thog.
No worries. I just like to get all hyped up. I'm on Thog as well. I'll add you to friends list if I remember.

Obellox (Guardian)