Second Life MMORPG (lots of pics)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Second Life MMORPG (lots of pics)

Post by Winnow »

OK, I just accidentally wiped out a bunch of text I wrote here so this is the abbreviated version.

I heard about Second Life from the sex MMORPG article I posted awhile back. Second Life's website is thoroughly uninspiring but I clicked on a few movies and it looked interesting enough to give a try.

Second Life is completely free to play and gives you access to everything in the world. You only pay if you decide to purchase land and build your own home or whatever you want to build. It's not full of ads or spam or anything else. The installation is quick and easy. The download is only about 20mb and registration does require a credit card or mobile phone number as part of some sort of age verification process. It's no big deal and easy to do.

First off, let me say that I'm impressed with just about everything in this game. The graphics, User Interface, sounds, etc all are outstanding. As for gameplay, I don't know if there actually is any...well there is but I'll get to that later.

One thing you must know right off the bat...the one poorly done thing in the game are the walking/running animations. You look retarded doing either but the good news is that the preferred method of getting around the world is flying...which is cool as hell to do (to sort of quote Snoop Dog)

This game will take as much as you can throw at it in terms of computer horsepower. I was running in 1920X1200 with the graphics options maxed...and so were my GeForce 7800GT and Athlon X2 CPU most of the time keeping up with it all. This game can be played in a window and also, of course, lower resolutions. I'd recommend using the default graphics options unless you have a high end machine.

With that said, here's an overview:

The game starts you out on a newbie island that walks you through a sort of tutorial to get you started. At the end of the tutorial you can proceed to the main world or continue on to "Help Island" for additional acclimation to the world. I highly recommend you check out the help island as well before heading into the main world. You'll learn quite a bit more on the island and also pick up some items (clothes, objects, etc)

The avatar cutomization in this world is the most detailed I've ever seen. There are sliders upon sliders of ways to modify your face and body. You can adjust some things in this game that you definately haven't been able to adjust before....coin purse!

you could probably spend a few hours just playing with your looks...don't worry too much though as you can change them whenever you want and can also save entire look packages in folders that you can instantly switch to. On the right you'll see the inventory window and all sorts of crap in there.

How's my ass looking?

It's a little bit like playing Barbie but you'll get over it.

The user interface is one of the best I've seen. A lot of controls are accessible by right clicking on the screen and bringing up a wheel with which you can select options and subwheel menus. These wheels are context sensitive so change depending on what you're doing so the one below is just the generic one:

The models seem to be missing some important parts for a, allegedly, sex game! ...and after all of that "package" adjusting in the customization too!

After going through the short island tutorial, I head off to the Help Island (go there, don't skip it!)

The first person I run into is this character:

He was nice enough and willing to answer questions. I guess here is a good a place as any to mention that this game may provide a good environment for cyber sex, etc but everyone is helpful and friendly and it seemed just like any other MMORPG to me.

A picture of Help Island. My character's name is Zed. You can pick your first name and then choose from a list of last names. I wasn't in the creative mood so Zed Newell it is. This screen shot is 1920X1200 so it may not look too good unless you click on it:

Zed spots his first female toon. Could this be the one?

She seems to be ignoring me! It would help if I knew how to send tells. We'll get back to her later.

On the Help Island, there are tutorials that teach you how to build basic things. You'll see later that you can design some pretty amazing structures, objects and clothing:

You can see by the next picture that building stuff can get pretty complex. You can also make scripts, etc to make objects usable or do things. It's pretty obvious i don't know what the fuck I'm doing so a mentor comes over to help:

Could she be the one? That bald guy seems to be having better luck but doesn't everyone know that it's best not to mess with the hired help!?

Unlike FFXI, there's tons of help available in this game. Here's an example of help text that pops up and is hypertext sensitive to make things even easier. Lots of click and drag capabilities in this game:

The map in Second Life looks like a satellite map from google or earthlink. It's zoomable and has lots of customizable info:

Another cool thing about this game is it has streaming video and audio. You can go to stations like the one below and see video (as well as text, etc) about news around the world and upcoming events.

The streaming audio is a really nice addition as players sometimes select internet radio stations for thier areas and it does add a lot to the "liveliness" of the atmosphere. I think people can add actual steaming songs as well. Anyway, the audio part of this game is better than anything else I've seen.

Ah, my first friend! It must have been my mullet that attracted her! This screen shows more of the UI windows. One nice thing you'll notice is the option to teleport a friend to you. Sweet! Toontown's best feature makes it into this game. What's with that huge parrot on the right though?

The game engine is capable of a lot. People have scripted playable games like space invaders. Some other stuff in the background of this picture are that memory game and chess. Everything in the world is player created.

The options for attire are limitless. You'll see some furries later on:

You can change your sex and look whenever you want quickly by dragging over clothing folders that have been customized. Here I tried out a fireman outfit that also changes my body/face:

I spent quite awhile on the help island and then teleported to the main world. You can't go back to the help island so make sure you've done all you want there first. Here's the first interesting character I ran into. Some fancy hoola-hooping!

Not a good picture but this was a place you could get a furry avatar look and boogie. Dance music from a streaming audio station was blasting here. I don't think furries dominate the world, it just happend to be the first place I randomly ported to.

Here's someone's really basic home:

People make some pretty cool stuff:

This game is cool enough that I recommend trying it out. It's free so it won't hurt the pocketbook. Besides the wallking/running animations, it looks great. The creativity from a player designed world is impressive and although I'm not sure there's a point to any of it, it's worth wandering around for a look.

Oh yeah, I think this look will do the trick. Got the roll of quarters in the pocket, cool shades and BMW motorcycle. Schwing!

Check out Second Life's web page and join for free
Last edited by Winnow on January 22, 2006, 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

How do you level in this game?

How is the fightingsystem?

How good animated are the monsters?

Can you do spinningkicks etc?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I read an article that talks about a user made globe, it was designed to replicate itself infinatly, at first it was just a growing blob of bubbles in 1 particular area, but it quickly spanned the entire second life world until the servers crashed.

Rofl, good stuff. there is apparently a "gang" of second life hulligans who take pleasure in bubbles and graffiti in the game....
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I wandered around some more today to see what I could see. I'd recommend going to visit Linden's House (you get invited on the help island and can teleport there later) The house itself isn't too special but it puts you in an area that has lots of examples of buildings, scripts, etc if you wander from there.

I also stumbled across a link (links on the Second Life forum can automatically launch the game and place you at a particular site. Pretty neat) for The Lost Gardens of Apollo. It's a pretty fancy island to see. You can get to places and save places by placing them in your Landmarks directory:

So today I stumble upon some actual people. With the great UI Second Life has, you can zoom in and rotate cameras around far off objects so I could take some pictures without intruding too much.

How can I compete with a guy that has wings?

Romance is in the air. This was taken on the Apollo island I mentioned above. Peeper Zed is in the lower right corner!

Another angle...was experimenting with the camera controls.

Zed prepares himself. Rose, check. Champagne, check. There are script buttons you can click that position your toon or make them dance, etc. You'll see them in later picts:

Perhaps here? (after you get over the perverted thoughts, the merry-go-round- is kinda neat. Can't tell from the pic but I'm spinning on it and it has some ballerina music or something going)

Here's a sample of scripts (kinda small but look at the couch. There's boy/girl places to click which I suppose positions the toons the right way)

Outside of the same bar I was in in the last picture, I'm watching the owner place a new pool on his property:

This game really could be considered Ultimate Barbie. There are tons and tons of stores you can purchase clothing, objects, etc. I don't think any of it is too terribly expensive if you actually pay the 9.95/month to own property and receive allowance. I got 250.00 and think I get 250.00 every game week even with a free account.

Found a mall and the Supergirl Thong outfit looks to be a great gift!

Who, of the people that played Everquest, wouldn't at one point or another have wanted a "Spank Me" necklace to wear around? You can even buy particle effects, etc. The customization in this game is a sight to behold and I hope the more mainstream MMORPGs get a clue...EQ and EQ2 are so limited.

An example of cheap renting apartments if you don't want to creat your own house:

I peeped in some windows.

Caught me!

One couple shut the blinds on me. hehe. I really wasn't intent on intruding. Just needed some screenshots!

Two guys?

There's some impressive artwork. I zoomed into a home to get this picture. You don't have to buy things. If you have the skills, you can create anything you want for free...clothes, objects, scripts, etc.

I don't know how long the interest will last but it's definately worth checking out for free to get ideas for future games.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Hey Zed Newell...give Moon Ash a shout sometime :D
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Moonwynd wrote:Hey Zed Newell...give Moon Ash a shout sometime :D
Will do : )

I forgot to provide a link that will give me freebie in game money to buy thongs and such even if you sign up for the free account:

Clicky here to join Second Life

Let me know and I'll buy you that superwoman thong outfit. (will look a little stange on a guy but fads are always changing!)
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

more like first life for most of these sad rejects, since their first one doesn't count.

am i rite?!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:more like first life for most of these sad rejects, since their first one doesn't count.

am i rite?!
dunno!

I'm having fun so far. Count me in with the sad rejects. I've seen more creativity in this game than any other one out there. Screw trade skills in EQ and WoW...this game gives you serious tools to create just about anything you want in the world.

Having more fun than...point...click...attack...ding!

Any MMORPG is mostly a time waster. What you do tonight? Get from level X to level Y? Combine X and y 100 times to make some Zs? Kill 300 droids? Sweeet.

Sad part is these SL peeps are doing a hell of a lot more with their time during MMORPG than you are. Feel free to argue that MMORPGs are a waste of time but I fail to see the difference between a social/creative building MMORPG and a click click click kill, level, repeat MMORPG.

If you're referring to cybersex, I don't know yet although I almost bagged my first furry tonight! Been travelling around, checking out the world.

----

For those that have or plan to try out SL. Use the find button to search for a store called Odds & Ends. It has a whole bunch of things for $1 (you get $250.00 for free)

Use the FIND button to search and teleport to places.

I'll have this waiting for you kyou when you log in:

Miami South Beach area didn't disappoint:

Ahhhh

Hopefully a furry will come along to talk to that's 300 lbs IRL...will be more interesting than Kyou.

Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

I haven't tried Second Life, I heard about it when it came out. It sounds like it's the graphic offspring of the old MOOs and MUSHes of the 90s. I was on LambdaMoo back in like 1994 and it was so different from the muds I played on.

Being able to create your own areas and your own items was great and seeing what other people created was so much more advanced than what the muds provided, but in the end it wasn't really a game it was more of a social environment. It was fun to make items and attach scripts to them.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Lambda is still there! Not nearly as many people (and lag) as there used to be though. I guess people find graphics more interesting than text.

But yeah, reading this thread makes Second Life to me sound like an evolution of MOOs.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I got a new outfit! It was free courtesy of Gecko clothes. Shortened the hair, made my eyes brown and added about 20 pounds of muscle mass to my legs. (TMI!)

I picked a bad time to quit playing a mangina. There's 50Xs more womens clothes than mens.

I like how you can save entire profiles including body size, etc along with clothes so you can just drag a folder onto your avatar and switch clothes or entire look including gender if you felt like it. It's another thing EQ could learn...so people could quickly change from full blown raid armor and weapons to something that made more sense around town.

ImageImage

Still worth a look if you haven't yet just to check out the game mechanics.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

"YOU CAN TAKE A HIT FROM THESE BONGS"

loller. I gotta go all the way to Amsterdamn to see that in RL.

Serously, what is the point of this "game"?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Found some neat stuff today.

First off, I knew it was going to happen...I've picked up some bad habits since playing SL. Oh man, I've started smoking!

This house has a home theater room complete with playable movies. I watched a music video while taking these pics. You'll notice the windows are blackened in the first picture and just tinted in the second picture. More cool scripting at work. Window tint controls:

Oops, before I forget, thanks MLK for giving me this day off from work! SL paid their repsects by placing his image in the Sun. Awww : )

Hey, there is sex in this game afterall! I know just what to get kyou if it plays: (I censored the image for you peeps at work)

MILF!

Hoochie Mama with the bling!

I grabbed a new look before checking out the Goth/Vampire scene. I figured a sweatshirt would be underdressed for the big occasion.

Letstat...er Zed makes his descent into the vampire gathering!

Who will be my first vict...eep!

I must get to that bong before asking this one to dance!

All in all, good times and I haven't even spoken to anyone yet.

Best t-shirt ever:

Check it out. You know you want to!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I figured out that you need to buy new skins in this game for a less cartoony look.

Warning, this may be too much man-flesh for some to handle!

compare the new skin to the old for detail:

ImageImage

ImageImage

There's lots of shiny bling in this game as along with standard clothing pieces, you can script items to be placed anywhere on your body allowing for any number of things like jewelry, wings, etc. This is another thing future MMORPGs might consider to allow players a little more unique looks.

Gotta make a living!

There are some pranksters!

Second Life Sign Up
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Winnow wrote:I forgot to provide a link that will give me freebie in game money to buy thongs and such even if you sign up for the free account:
You owe me $500! 50/50!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
Winnow wrote:I forgot to provide a link that will give me freebie in game money to buy thongs and such even if you sign up for the free account:
You owe me $500! 50/50!
I spent it all on hookers!

Send me a tell in game. I've gotten 6K or so in game money from referrals but only one person has told me who they were.

The most expensive item for your avatar is a nice skin for some reason. The one I bought cost 1K and is a great deal (for the quality). They go for 2-4K mostly although there's some cheap 200.00 skins that usually look like they're 200.00. TIy can find pretty much everything else for free.

The place I got my skin from is:

Celestial Studios ~ Canimal's ~ Oxygen Designs

Just search for "Canimal" under the places tab and you'll find it. There are $1 skins that say "demo" on them like this:

The skin on the wall is the one I'm wearing so it helps to try them on for a buck before you buy the real skin for 1K. Looks a lot different in the picture on the wall. The $1 gives you every skin style in one folder with demo tatooed all over it.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

My initial impression is that it's pretty cool for being free.. although, it seems like it's a LOT of empty space. Maybe Thursday nights are just slow nights or something.

Also, it's kind of annoying having to sit somewhere and wait 2 minutes for all the textures to fine-tune to where you can tell what they are. Granted it's free, but still.. Maybe there's a setting for that, I don't know. I couldn't find one.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It takes awhile to figure out where the good places are. The world is huge and a lot of it is haphazardly developed while some areas are well planned out. Try pulling up some of the most travelled placed. The sSearch window can be sorted by player traffic and there's a popular places option as well. Some of the highly concentrated shopping areas do take awhile to load as there are bazillion textures. All of those scrollable displays have even more pictures to load. It doesn't seem too bad for me but I have the game set to cache 1GB on my HD and also have a 256MB video card so that probably helps. There are lots of varied aesthetically pleasing places to visit ranging the whole gambit of themes from ancient to futuristic and modern day. It's a fun place to roam around from time to time.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Oops, must have clicked the pink sphere instead of the blue sphere. Better make it three!

I finally found a decent place to stay. This game does run into the problem having people that don't know how to build move next to you so when someone owns the whole area and designs the entire layout of the area, it looks much nicer.

I've got a two level apartment and can now modify it with edit rights.

The sim land owner of this area plays streaming movies right outside my window. I think there's actually a loophole in the copyright laws that allows movies to be played in Second Life and be considered as viewed in your home. Whether it was legal or not, he was playing Batman Begins. Picture Quality and sound are great. It's Quicktime but I got over it and downloaded the alternative player.

Thankfully this eyesore isn't visible from my new pad!

The game is still interesting although I'm glad I finally rented a place so I can mess with the building part of this game. It seems easy and very powerful with the little I've played around moving things so far.

Second Life Sign Up
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Winnow wrote:For those that have or plan to try out SL. Use the find button to search for a store called Odds & Ends. It has a whole bunch of things for $1 (you get $250.00 for free)
Have yet to be able to find this store. There needs to be an easy way to make some kind of money other than cybering or spending real life cash. I'm down to $15!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
Winnow wrote:For those that have or plan to try out SL. Use the find button to search for a store called Odds & Ends. It has a whole bunch of things for $1 (you get $250.00 for free)
Have yet to be able to find this store. There needs to be an easy way to make some kind of money other than cybering or spending real life cash. I'm down to $15!
Bah, I just checked an the store is gone. There are plently more like it though and a lot of stores have free stuff.

Use the FIND button and press ALL tab and search for "Free" and read the descriptions. You'll find some free and cheap stuff that way although I found it roaming around as well...various stores have free boxes of stuff and some are huge folders of clothes, vehicles, etc.

The actual title doesn't have to have "free" in it. The search will find "free" in the descriptions of the stores as well.

If you want a cheap place to live, for 50.00, you can rent and Apartment here for a week (with three free weeks I think for newbies) so you'd have a month to play around with building etc.

The renting is automated. If you find a unit with a red "for rent" sign on the door, just click on it for the description (in the screenshot) and you can pay the door the 50.00 to gain access and rent. (that's like 20 cents) ~$270L = $1

I'll spot you the money if you send me a tell in game since I have some extra with the referrals...I may have to whore you out to make the money back though! jk.

If you feel like sitting on a dance pad at a store or gambling place, they pay you a small abount of money just for sitting of dancing based on time spent there (probably promotes traffic stats for them) So you can do that and leave the game running while doing something else in RL to make a little money. (That would get old fast though!)

So I'm searchign for some stuff to put in the new place...where are the projectors???

Most things can be scripted and that includes batchroom showers, sinks...and toilets. Gotta check things out before buying.

Was it rude to leave a deposit at the store?

Can flush it!

Second Life Sign Up
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

i tried it out with your link. my name is Spaghetti Noodle.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm impressed with the build/editing capabilities of Second Life. After the initial learning curve, it's a breeze to build basic things and manipulate existing items.

This looks like trouble:

I've got some immature neighbors but they seem to be enjoying themselves.

If I can fit this shower into my apartment, I'm buying it for sure. I'd try to design my own but don't know how to script the water, etc.

Did I mention my strange neighbors?

ImageImage

Gotta give the girl props for wearing a mask if she's sick!

The Apt is still pretty empty but I've got the hottub in place!

In the background you can see some of the pictures I imported myself. It's only $10L (~3 cents equivalent) to upload your own textures. Yet another nice customization option SL has.

Besides the big hair, the most normal neighbor I have!

Second Life Sign Up
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Perhaps I'm missing something, what's the point? Just someplace to fart around?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Pretty much. Like the MOOs of old it's more a 'social experiment' than a 'game'. So I wouldn't really classify something like this as a MMORPG. Although from the sound of it I guess getting money and pimping your character could be the point.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, what's the point? Just someplace to fart around?
Not really a point except for what Aslanna said. It's sort of a Sims game. I don't see why anyone would play Sims with this game out. It's basically Sims 3D with a lot more flexibility.

If you are a creative person, this game can be lots of fun designing your own things and creating your own living spaces. Not everyone is out to level and hack and slash their way to...the next game.

The person that lives right next to me is an ex-Sims player. Hope I don't need to learn to cook!

Zed's keen fashion sense pays off as his Apple Martini Hottub captures a flying creature of some sort:

Me, you two, minus the swords and knives...my place! (might freak out the Sims neighbors!)

Second Life Sign Up
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Who wears clothes in a hot tub?!

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Fatties who want to hide their man-boobs but end up in some kind of hideous wet t-shirt contest instead!
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Who wears clothes in a hot tub?!
Yeah, I need a swimsuit or skinny dip!

I try to get some fashion tips form the neighbors as they seem to have this whole sims thing down. My toilet is right where she placed the couch in her apartment. I didn't see a toilet in her place...hmmm everyone needs to go to the bathroom sometime!

I decided to get a fuzzy looking avatar and dive into the mysterious world of the furrys tonight to see what it's all about:

ImageImage

Of course, Rellix shows up and wants to ride a Bagina-cycle so I didn't get much done:

I did help Rellix find a look that was right for him and he settled on the Alien Kermit look:

ImageImage

then proceeded to scare the "normal" citizens by peeping in windows.

Second Life Sign Up
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

good stuff!
miir and I are best friends. <3
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Silas Pixel, nice to meet you!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Silas Pixel, nice to meet you!
:!: I'm counting on you to investigate the BDSM world in SL and then invite me to your freaky parties after you've set up your sex dungeon!

Check out the Lost Gardens of Apollo for one of the cooler looking areas.

For pure tourism, there are a lot of very well done themed sims that have links on Second Life's forums that take you directly to them by clicking the link.

If you don't stumble across them yourself, send me an IM in game and I'll show you a few of the freebie stores where you can load up on just about everything to mess around with.
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

So did you figure out how to talk to people?
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

cid wrote:So did you figure out how to talk to people?
Who needs to know how to talk when there's sex balls to sit on and then go AFK.. You become very popular!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

sex balls? wtf.

--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So how to you get Uber loot? Can I farm cash and sell it on eBay? Or even better, pimp out my mangina?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If you head to the Assterdam district you can watch streaming pr0n-movies in their cinemas LOL!

Still, where do you lvl up and where are teh monsters?

I've found some kata's, spinning kicks and Bruce Lee animations though!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

i need to find me gamblers anonymous. i keep losing all my money to black jack!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:So how to you get Uber loot? Can I farm cash and sell it on eBay? Or even better, pimp out my mangina?
No need for eBay. You can sell your SL money for real money anytime you want using the Linden exchange:

https://secondlife.com/currency/

Selling things is as easy as selecting an object you own and setting a price for it to sell...either copies or the object itself...after that, anyone that hovers their mouse over the object can right click and buy it with the money going directly into your account automatically.

If someone will pay for it, you can ho yourself out but mostly people make money by creating items...anywhere from jewelry to entire homes or islands. You can click on the ground, make a square box, and set a price for it...if someone buys it, you're in business.

Other people make scripts that they sell for things, HUDs (heads up display) for more detailed info...textures, sounds, animations, emotes...whatever. You can be a land baron and rent to people. I'm renting the Apartment I'm in so as long as the owner of the area keeps his building and shops full, he'll make money.

You don't have to buy anything though. You can screw around for free and if you can make a little money and have a product, buy some cheap shop space for 50/week (that's like 25 cents and you get that much each week with a basic free account) and sell stuff if you're in the game for making moola. I upgraded to a premium account for 9.95/month because I'm really rich and can afford $10/month. That gives you $500L/week and lets you own 512sq/m of land to build on. The exchange rate is ~270L for one US $1 so even if you forget to cancel your account, you could almost make your money back by just selling your 2K Lindens at the end of the month.

Creating stuff, even big things like homes, etc can be done even if you don't own land by using the sandboxes located at various places.

If beating on 1000 mobs/day to level up and getting the highest score is your thing, look elsewhere.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I'm now the kool-aid man, and made a fun gif.

masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Could one open, say, an opium den or a crackhouse?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:Could one open, say, an opium den or a crackhouse?
You could. There are scripts that can distort your vision etc. You've already seen the working bongs in pics above. I saw an in-game ad for magic mushrooms.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
masteen wrote:Could one open, say, an opium den or a crackhouse?
You could. There are scripts that can distort your vision etc. You've already seen the working bongs in pics above. I saw an in-game ad for magic mushrooms.
Would peeps spend LindenDollars just to get distorted vision though?

That is the question! :D

Better hire some strippers as well! :lol:
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I'm Vin Rawley in game.. I'd like to move in with Winnow =P

I've already met with a bunch of his neighbors (I broke into a house right before a party started and said i was invited when they inquired).

I say we all move in and start a VV shop of some sort!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz joined up tonight so I promptly showed him how to watch pirate videos:

After that, it was off to show him that not all SL citizens are strange.
(Although Boogahz pulled a sex change between zones!)

perfectly normal behavior

Masteen, you asked about drugs. Bad news, they're free. (see last box)

I don't see how drugs translate into an RPG but if you want to suck on a Hookah, you can:

More bling:

Where's the option to, "Beat rich kid up, take shoes and $$"

Lastly, here's an example of a rent board and some scripts that pop up:

Three apartments left in my building!
Deneve
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Deneve »

Can you commit acts of violence in this game? While becoming a home decorator doesn't sound too entertaining, creating a bad-ass looking avatar and bursting into a shopping mall with a glock would be really satisfying.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The one thing I haven't really figured out yet (but I admit I have not looked into it much) is how to make money in this game beyond referrals/allowance. I know that I could start selling things, but that will require learning how to make them. I did find a few places where you got paid by sitting around doing nothing really, but the only one I found which wasn't full paid L$1 / 5 minutes. That wouldn't be too bad if I knew of a way to keep from "afk'ing" out overnight.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Deneve wrote:Can you commit acts of violence in this game? While becoming a home decorator doesn't sound too entertaining, creating a bad-ass looking avatar and bursting into a shopping mall with a glock would be really satisfying.
Nope! You can't do that in most of the areas. There are weapons and several zones set aside for combat but the game isn't really meant for that. You'd be disappointed. I'd recommend Saint's Row on the Xbox 360 for you coming out next month. It's an online version of GTA...can blow shit up, join a gang and stuff. You'll love it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:The one thing I haven't really figured out yet (but I admit I have not looked into it much) is how to make money in this game beyond referrals/allowance. I know that I could start selling things, but that will require learning how to make them. I did find a few places where you got paid by sitting around doing nothing really, but the only one I found which wasn't full paid L$1 / 5 minutes. That wouldn't be too bad if I knew of a way to keep from "afk'ing" out overnight.
Check out the Second Life forums now that you're signed up. There's quite a bit of discussion on all areas of interest in SL. Admittedly, I haven't tried to make money as I've been posting away here! You can look into property rental/sales etc. I think the only steady way to make money is coming up with a creative item that people find useful...it doesn't have to be clothing, buildings, textures or furniture...it can be scripts for emoting, designing totally new skins or avatars (like the little mini fox I use)

The first person I ran into after the newbie/help zone ran a protection business. She tracked down "griefers" which are people that annoy in various ways..typically continuously bumping into other avatars, shooting them in non melee zones, etc. There are some things that mess with avatar physics like the Tesla Coil which can be used as a protection device for your home which blows avatars halfway across a zone if they don't leave private property within 10 seconds...they can be used in the wrong way though. I don't think her business was doing too well but I told her I'd let her know if I had problems!

The guy that runs my residence sim area seems to like the game enough to have designed a very nice apartment building and shopping area with a low prim count. The more prims, the more lag so he managed to design a nice looking area with low lag and also allows 250 prims per rental which is much more than the normal 100-150. All items in SL are made up of prims. Things like pictures are a single prim but complex things like fountains with moving water, etc have more. each building block of an item is a prim. Place a pyramid shape on top of a square and link them and you have a two prim object. Textures don't count.

It depends on how much you play, etc. The 9.95/month gives you enough money to live...500/week and some land for a store or your own home. You get the money whether you log on or not so it builds up of you're a casual player. Most expensive items are skins and they can be had from 1K-3K. Typical price for clothing is 100-150 which is ~.50 real money. Rent can range from 50/week to ~500/week or more. So, you could rent a place to live for 50/week and rent shop space for 50/week (that's a grand total of about 30 cents or $1.20/month real money which is covered with plenty to spare with a typical online game subscription of >$10) Again, if ambitious, you could pay zero/month and make your own money...even cash out for real money but I wouldn't plan a career doing that!

There's no definite purpose to this game except for screwing around and flexing your creativity along with some social interaction. Social amebas aren't going to last long unless they really like designing things using the builder.