Ebola thread

What do you think about the world?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Ebola thread

Post by Leonaerd »

This is getting pretty ugly. When it hits India...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Ebola thread

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:This is getting pretty ugly. When it hits India...
I wanted to start this thread and put "pending" in the body but you beat me to it.

This could seriously get out of hand quickly no matter where you live.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Yeah it could. It's a good thing Republicans have fought tooth and nail for decades to gut our infrastructure at every level and blocked the appointment of a surgeon general. It's a good thing they've fought to protect every penny of the rich who have more money than anyone has ever had throughout history, while de-funding every element of government that's meant to provide logistics and manpower to serve and protect our citizens. Thanks.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thank god for Obamacare!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Did someone just seriously blame the GOP for an epidemic in another country? An epidemic that had ZERO cases in this country until we started sending people there AND willingly bringing people who had it into the US? Are you fucking kidding me?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

No, they blamed them for putting us in a situation where were this to turn into a real issue, we wouldn't be able to properly deal with it. I can see how you'd misunderstand that though, because words.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I'm honestly not sure what precautions to take. If ebola hits Michigan, I'll probably stop going to the gym / bar / library entirely. If it gets worse (or is confirmed airborne [/shudder]), I'll get some canned food and lay low. Grocery store trips with a surgical mask and gloves?

I hear there are 400 American troops in Africa, essentially beta-testing a vaccine.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:I'm honestly not sure what precautions to take. If ebola hits Michigan,
Michigan is gun country so that's no problem. Just make sure you shoot the zombies ebola afflected in the head and then run for your cabin in the woods that's stocked up on deer jerky.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Good luck with publicly available surgical masks...they no worky on ebola. You need n94 masks or better.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:Good luck with publicly available surgical masks...they no worky on ebola. You need n94 masks or better.
Well that sucks. I've been wanting to wear a mask for a long time. I'm jealous of the Japanese that wear them. I hope the practice catches on in the U.S. I'd wear a mask everywhere in public. It doesn't matter how careful you are, you have to come in contact with less careful people in grocery stores, etc.

Ebola isn't airborne so the mask might help from getting splattered. A mask would help with flu etc as long as you take all of the other precautions. It's really not possible to avoid contact though. Someone coughs and some of it gets on your pants, you eventually touch your pants or something else.

We're due for a major pandemic whether Ebola happens to be it or not.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I got interviewed by the news here in DC yesterday....they wanted to know if the public is scared of the dallas patient being moved to DC...here's how it went.

Reporter: How do you feel about the federal govt moving the ebola patient from Dallas to the NIH?
Me: They're moving his body? Because he passed away, I thought?
Reporter: No, the nurse that contracted it while doing her job.
Me: I'm ok with that. NIH has at least one CDC level infectious disease center, with employees who are trained on that type of contaminant.
Reporter: But how does it make you feel?
Me: Not scared. I follow the rules my parents taught me as a kid...don't play with other people's poop.

He laughed, and that's where we ended it. He said lots of people he was interviewing yesterday afternoon were freaked out. Ebola is the least serious threat disease/virus being worked on at NIH in their control lab...so I find that kind of funny that they are worried about it from a patient relocation standpoint.

I doubt I made the news, since I wasn't freaked out and causing a scare for their news story...but it was fun to be filmed for the news...my fifteen minutes of fame/shame!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Funkmasterr wrote:No, they blamed them for putting us in a situation where were this to turn into a real issue, we wouldn't be able to properly deal with it. I can see how you'd misunderstand that though, because words.

Yea...I can see you being confused by the standard liberal interpretation of "roadblocks". Maybe they should just learn be forced to budget their our money better than with the inane garbage they have spent billions on.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmaris/ ... t-flashes/
The following are just a few of the studies the NIH funded in 2011 where information is currently publically available:

Massage in Rabbits. - $386,000 – Ohio State University. The official title of the study is “Massage Therapy in Eccentric Exercise Induced Muscle Weakness and Inflammation.” The principal investigator confirmed with me that it is as it read – a study applying massage to rabbits to try to figure out what is the best massage duration.
The Role of Breathing in Meditation. $453,000 – University of California San Francisco. Yes, nearly half a million dollars of taxpayers money to tell us that breathing is important in meditation. I predict breathing is important in most things…
Losing weight through meditation. $1,158,000 - University of California San Francisco. The study, entitled “Metabolic and Immunologic Effects of Meditation” seeks to find out if one meditates, will they shed pounds. My guess is if you meditate near your fridge, you probably won’t. Add this to the $480,000 to study “Yoga for Therapy of the Metabolic Syndrome” University of California San Francisco, and we can see a new Meditate and Yoga Your Way to Slim video soon.
Dismantling Mindfulness: Contributions of Attention vs. Acceptance. $134,000 to Brown University for something that sounds pretty darn flaky.
Structural, Functional, and Behavioral Effects of Meditation – Mass. General Hospital - $438,265. This study take 90 stressed out people and tries to figure out how meditation makes them relax.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and Cognitive Function in Stress and Aging - Washington University - $200,640.
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction as and Adjunctive Treatment for Psoriasis – - $533,074 – University of Rochester.
Mechanisms of Meditation - $320,00 - Emory University.
Do we even need to discuss the half million they spend to figure out why monkeys throw their poo? Or why they do it with their right hand? Or the other billions they spent on the other stupid shit that will never be of any use... I am betting you could come up with a list of 100 items they wasted money on because they have absolutely no accountability.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

the NIH is an entire campus of buildings...offices, research labs, hospitals. They do a lot more than the research listed above. That's simple stuff (although clearly expensive) that is done in the CRC (Clinical Research Center), and they always run ads on the radio down here to volunteer for the experiments/studies.

They have 40 plus buildings on their campus. Like I said, I know of one for sure, 100% certain, that is a level 3+ bio lab facility. That is where this nurse will be, no doubt. Its building 33 (google "nih campus" for a map!). They don't name them, they # them. If an outbreak happens, it won't be from that facility!

If you are bothered by those public research items and their costs...I would love to see the list of the non-public knowledge research and their costs!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I would rather have those studies than another billion dollar war plane that will be obsolete in under a decade.