What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Flight 370

Post by Winnow »

What the fuck?

Fascinating.

Hard to believe can't find a huge jetliner after three days of searching. Nothing.

Really interested to find out what happened to it. Signs point to terrorism but did they steal the plane? Zero debris. No warning indicators, zilch.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Flight 370

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:Signs point to terrorism but did they steal the plane?
What fucking signs? Pisses me off every time I hear this "unconfirmed theory" reported as news.

Dodgy passports are incredibly prevalent in Asia where they don't have chips in the passport, and that's the only "sign". What a load of crap.

There's certainly been pilots that have ditched their planes into the ocean without thinking they had a problem other than not trusting their instruments.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Zaelath wrote:There's certainly been pilots that have ditched their planes into the ocean without thinking they had a problem other than not trusting their instruments.

Pilot suicide has been thrown around a bit too. It's happened before. There are lots of weird things going on with this incident, that's for sure.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Winnow wrote:Signs point to terrorism but did they steal the plane?
What fucking signs? Pisses me off every time I hear this "unconfirmed theory" reported as news.

Dodgy passports are incredibly prevalent in Asia where they don't have chips in the passport, and that's the only "sign". What a load of crap.

There's certainly been pilots that have ditched their planes into the ocean without thinking they had a problem other than not trusting their instruments.
Signs doesn't mean it was terrorism. Dude, chill out. This isn't FOX News. I understand stolen passports are more common in that area of the world. I did phrase "but did they steal the plane" poorly so my bad.

It's a true mystery right now. I don't care what the outcome is, be it mundane or more out of the ordinary.

They need to rethink ways to broadcast the locations of planes constantly and independently from all other electronics on the plane. The Black Box isn't enough.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Just flew back from Miami yesterday and amazingly they have not gone crazy with security after this. They even kept the new test procedures in place where you don't have to take off the shoes and everything to go through.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Just flew back from Miami yesterday and amazingly they have not gone crazy with security after this. They even kept the new test procedures in place where you don't have to take off the shoes and everything to go through.
Same with Honolulu. We just got back from Oahu last night. No additional TSA measures.

Turns out one of the Iranians on board 370 was going to visit his mom. The passports seem to be a red herring here, but there is still much to uncover...assuming they have not already found the wreckage and are not divulging the information to date.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Start searching for the missing plane:

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014
(CNN) -- You -- the person now reading this story -- can help experts solve the mystery of what happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared over the open sea.
Aerial view of search is 'reality check'

In fact, thousands of aspiring good Samaritans are volunteering their time to scour part of the plane's search zone using detailed satellite images posted online by DigitalGlobe, a Colorado firm that owns one of the world's most advanced commercial satellite networks.

DigitalGlobe's satellite photos taken 400 miles above the Gulf of Thailand can capture a detail as small as a home plate. The challenge is finding the manpower to scour 1,235 square miles of such images on one of DigitalGlobe's websites, Tomnod.com -- with more pictures to be posted this week from satellites above the Strait of Malacca, said Abby Van Uum, an Edelman publicist retained by DigitalGlobe.

That's where crowdsourcing comes in.

"In many cases, the areas covered are so large, or the things we're looking for are so hard to find, that without the help of hundreds of thousands of people online, we'd never be able to find them," Barrington said.

One volunteer, Mike Seberger, 43, found a fascinating image in a matter of minutes: the silhouette in the ocean has the scale of a Boeing 777-200, the same model of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
So far I've found some clouds and water.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Just a PR stunt? They can automate the grunt work, simply looking for anything that isn't water is pretty easy.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:Just a PR stunt? They can automate the grunt work, simply looking for anything that isn't water is pretty easy.
I dunno but I checked over probably 400-500 sectors while listening to an audiobook last night. I ended up finding three oil rigs and one object odd enough to flag. There's a whole lot of nothing out there in the ocean. Pretty clouds.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What's with planes vanishing without a trace these days? Hopefully they find this one to at least confirm it's down. At least weather is a possible contributing factor this time.