PRISM

What do you think about the world?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

PRISM

Post by Aslanna »

PRISM. Good or bad? Hint: The correct answer is "Bad".

Here's some more things you might want to know about:

Feds are demanding user passwords from web companies

The Government's Coming For Your Encrypted Data Next Think your SSL witll save you? Probably wont.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: PRISM

Post by Aabidano »

If it were just the NSA, in their former mission, with their former guidelines/restrictions it wouldn't bother me - as a US citizen. Judicial oversight prevents or reigns in the worst of the abuse. Under FISA they had the ability to seek after the fact warrants 24x7, 365 if something were discovered.

For non-US citizens I can see the aggravation of it, keep in mind it's not like they're going to provide that information to your country (except maybe Britain) and let it be known what they're doing. So yes your being monitored by the US - it effectively means nothing to you or anyone who in any way might be involved with your life. Unless you're planning to blow up something that belongs to the US of course.

As implemented? Seems a surefire path to fascism, far more than anything the tea baggers have been whipped into a frenzy over. Russia had and China has similar monitoring in place.

The patriot act was being abused before the ink was dry and the scope of what they're doing has been expanded, with parallel rules making it illegal to disclose the scope (not specifics) of what they're doing.

Not that I have first hand knowledge - my guess is unless you've pissed off the NSA or REALLY pissed off the FBI to the Snowden level most people's data could be made reasonably secure, SSL included. Hiding what you are doing isn't simple and you only have to screw up once to give them the key to unravel your doings.

The legacy of Bushv2? This is it, though I'd lay it more at Cheney & Rumsfelds' feet.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah, bad. It's marginally better than the stazi since it should have a lot less false positives, but it's massive overreach.

I actually couldn't care less if the American government wants to monitor me as a foreign national, that actually seems a reasonable thing to do even though I'm from a friendly country... but to monitor every citizen to accomplish that is fairly firmly against the spirit of your constitution.

That said, I don't think you hear much about it from the American people because they're either blase about 'nothing to hide' fallacies, or afraid to attract more monitoring.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

This post may change some minds.

PRISM is bad.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This is for Fairweather and everyone else paranoid about Kinect:
FBI can remotely activate Android and laptop microphones, reports WSJ

Last month, we discussed whether the new Microsoft Kinect could be used as an NSA spying tool. When it comes to the microphones in Android cell phones and laptop computers, though, surveillance might not be a theoretical question. The Wall Street Journal reports that the FBI can already remotely activate those microphones to record conversations.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/458071 ... eports-wsj

There's no major company out there that you can trust so claiming privacy issues regarding Kinect is a joke.

Please update me on the devices you're using Fairweather and your double standards for continuing to use them while singling out the Kinect in your decision to not buy an Xbox One.

Lets see Apple, Microsoft, Google/Android...all on the the black list...Sony sells to Iran under the table to avoid sanction restrictions but you probably don't care about that either. Those poor fucks will say anything or do anything to scrape up some money. Pick and choose those morals!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
FBI can remotely activate Android and laptop microphones, reports WSJ
I didn't even think this was news. I thought they could do that with any phone? Or at least smartphone. Laptops too.

As far as being "paranoid" about Kinect... I'm not paranoid I just don't like it. It's like a zero button mouse with horrible latency issues!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Carmack laughs at the people (like Fairweather) paranoid about Kinect, basing their purchasing decisions off it.:

Another interesting clip from the ongoing Quakecon:

http://kotaku.com/john-carmack-talks-xb ... -994803231

He also in a round about way calls you idiots for forcing Microsoft to change their sharing strategy. /agreed
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"round about way" = not at all.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

FBI can remotely activate Android and laptop microphones
On Android while they can likely can (sort of), it's not something they're going to do on a widespread/non-targeted basis. Most people are very boring and their chances of getting caught doing it are pretty high. You're getting into the "movie theater threat" area.
It's worth noting that the government generally needs a warrant to conduct such surveillance activity, particularly where private content like audio conversations are concerned, but that assumes the US government doesn't simply conduct a warrant-less wiretap and call it a "state secret" to block lawsuits.
This is where at some point broad PRISM-like activities will be confirmed as being unconstitutional.

Biggest disappointment with Obama is not reigning in this widely abused part of the patriot act.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Appears to be not as bad as advertised - just from this particular angle.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/us/20 ... .html?_r=0
More transparency would have caused less damage to the US - they had to know they'd get caught with their pants down eventually.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canadian spy agency admits to illegally spying on Canadians

January 11th, 2014

The Communication Security Establishment of Canada -- a secretive spy agency that's already been caught lying to a judge and illegally spying on diplomats at the Toronto G20 -- has admitted that it illegally spied on Canadians as well.

CSE also admits it's allowed to help CSIS, the Mounties and Canada Border Services Agency "in a variety of circumstances — including intercept operations against a Canadian or individuals in Canada."

National security blogger Bill Robinson says that means CSE can use information gleaned from Canadians.

"If it falls into the government's collection priorities, they certainly will use it," he said Friday.
It's not just the U.S. spying on its citizens, it's just that no one really cares unless it's the U.S. doing the spying.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What the US is doing is on a whole different level than just "spying". If you can't see that you're a dumb-dumb.

And who said people didn't care? Hard to care about what you don't know.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

[x] told
[ ] not told
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The U.S. has more resources. Canada does what it can to spy on its citizens.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:It's not just the U.S. spying on its citizens, it's just that no one really cares unless it's the U.S. doing the spying.
Everyone knows it, everyone does it. It's no news at all to the politicians who gasp when they find out. We were blatant and over the top about it and got caught in an embarrassing way.

Our nations' businesses are suffering for it and will for years to come. That's what is behind the non-US politicians' gasp, "oh wow we're going to profit from this." (or shaft the US in some negotiations)