CISPA is back

What do you think about the world?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

CISPA is back

Post by masteen »

Thanks a lot Sylvus. This jackhole Rogers from Michigan is a fine example of what's wrong with the federal government.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: CISPA is back

Post by Zaelath »

Where's your armed militia when you need it?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

He's a Republican from the District just north of the one I live in, which includes a bunch of rednecks, racists, and Michigan State fans/alums (I guess this sentence is getting a bit redundant). Don't blame me, I can't even vote against him!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Sylvus wrote:(I guess this sentence is getting a bit redundant)
=P~
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Back. And dead. FOR NOW. I'm sure something similar will be back eventually. Just named something else to try and fool people not paying attention.
Well, so much for CISPA.

Not long after the House passed the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2013, the Senate has indicated it has no plans to consider the bill.

Citing sources on various committees, several organizations reported late last week that the Senate would not even give the bill a look. While the Senate may introduce a different information-sharing bill at some point, it appears the House version is DOA.

"I think it's dead for now," Michelle Richardson, legislative counsel with the ACLU, told U.S. News & World Report. "CISPA is too controversial, it's too expansive, it's just not the same sort of program contemplated by the Senate last year. We're pleased to hear the Senate will probably pick up where it left off last year."

According to U.S. News, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, said CISPA's "privacy protections are insufficient."

That echoes statements made by President Obama's administration, who threatened to veto the bill after it was passed by the House. It's also the argument made by digital activists who believed the bill violated civil liberties.

But that will no doubt frustrate the large tech companies that pushed hard for the legislation amid escalating cyber attacks on their infrastructure. These companies believe that they need the ability to share more information with each other, and the government, to help defend against hackers.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, they keep killing it (or other things like it) and it keeps coming back. As soon as the government finds it's 9/11 of the computer world - it will use it to justify something like CISPA - but likely worse. It's just a matter of time.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

As soon as the government finds it's 9/11 of the computer world - it will use it to justify something like CISPA - but likely worse. It's just a matter of time.
Yep, in theory. Wait for something terrible to happen (or, more likely, manufacture the terror) and get popular support behind some radical change.

Only there is nothing that could happen that would gain populist support behind taking down the web.

But they still need to kill the nets. All this readily available information is making it so difficult to crone.

There will be something nasty and deliberate.