Did Karl Rove & Co. Try To Steal The Election?

What do you think about the world?
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Did Karl Rove & Co. Try To Steal The Election?

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Anonymous says so. I wonder if it is true. Even if they had managed to do what these claims say, Obama still would have won (barely) with 272 or 273 electoral votes, but, who is to say it has not happened in the past.

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/20/did_ano ... _election/
On Election Night, viewers watched in shock as Karl Rove refused to accept the call, confirmed by Fox News analysts, that Ohio had gone to Obama.

A release claiming to be from hacker collective Anonymous alleges there was more behind Rove’s freak-out than first met the eye. The group says that it foiled Rove’s attempt to steal the election in Florida, Virginia and Ohio by using the GOP’s ORCA system.

Two weeks prior to Election Night, a typical Anonymous video was released warning Rove against rigging the election. “We want you to know that we are watching you, waiting for you to make this mistake of thinking you can rig this election to your favor,” Anonymous’ ubiquitous Guy Fawkes character warned.

Then, following Obama’s win and Rove’s very public outburst, a group calling themselves “The Protectors,” believed to be comprised of Anonymous hackers, sent a letter to election transparency non-profit, Velvet Revolution, claiming to have thwarted attempts by GOP strategists to flip votes and rig the election in three swing states.

The letter claims that the GOP’s ORCA — a GOTV (Get Out the Vote) system — was in fact designed to rig votes in favor of Romney (although the letter does not verify this or specify how ORCA was designed to do this.) The Protectors claim that they installed a password protected firewall to block attempts to digitally rig votes:

We coded and created, what we call, The Great Oz. A targeted password protected firewall that we tested and refined over the past weeks. We place this code on more than one of the digital tunnels and their destination’s that Karl’s not so smart worker bees planned to use on election night.

The Protectors alleged these “digital tunnels” were leading to servers in three different states. The release claims that Rove’s operatives attempted to unsuccessfully breach The Great Oz firewall to access these tunnels throughout election night. “We watched as Karl’s weak corrupters repeatedly tried to penetrate The Great Oz. These children of his were at a loss-how many times and how many passwords did they try? — exactly 105.”

The details in the Anonymous claim are currently unverified and there are many lingering question. For one, as our own Alex Seitz-Wald pointed out via email, “they never explain how Rove was stealing the election in Ohio, Florida, and Virginia. [There are] not many e-voting machines and not sure how else you’d do it.”

Secondly, it seems questionable whether the ORCA system (which belonged to Romney’s campaign, not Rove, as the Anonymous letter suggests) was capable of rigging an election — it barely functioned as a GOTV project. Writing at Ace of Spades, John Ekdah called Project ORCA an “unmitigated disaster“. He details a long list of problem that indicate the massive undertaking lacked the necessary “planning, training and coordination” to be successful.

Even without Anonymous’ alleged efforts, it is unclear that ORCA had the sophistication to rig votes. Although perhaps nefarious intentions behind the project account for its failure as a GOTV system. Again, we can only speculate — the onus is on Anonymous to provide further proof before we can believe these (albeit delicious) claims.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Did Karl Rove & Co. Try To Steal The Election?

Post by Boogahz »

My toaster was designed to give Romney votes too. This is why I keep it unplugged. I don't have any proof of this though.

Article was a lot of nothing.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Boogahz wrote:My toaster was designed to give Romney votes too. This is why I keep it unplugged. I don't have any proof of this though.

Article was a lot of nothing.
It was, but the voting system in Ohio going down at almost exactly the same time in 2004 as 2012 is strange, and the previous crash in 2004 ended up with Kerry going from a decent lead in Ohio to Bush winning it.

I'm not going to make a judgment on it until more info is out. If they did this and have proof of what was being done, I hope they release the information.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

GOP has been rigging those machines since they were implemented. The fucking company that makes them made campaign contributions to the Bush campaign.

These guys sure make a lot of press releases for a group called Anonymous though.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

kyoukan wrote:GOP has been rigging those machines since they were implemented. The fucking company that makes them made campaign contributions to the Bush campaign.

These guys sure make a lot of press releases for a group called Anonymous though.
Anonymous =\= quiet.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Unfortunately I get the feeling Anonymous is trying to stay relevant these days. Several of their higher profile, most active people are out of the picture and I don't know whether the rest of them have the same capabilities or balls to pull off what they've done in the past.

I sincerely hope they do as (unfortunately) we live in a time where we desperately need someone the rich corrupt corporations are afraid of and can't buy.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Anonymous has populist appeal. I bet that a lot of firepower is from freelancers who use Anonymous to get attention that would otherwise be hard to come by. Not that I would know.