Earthquake in D.C.

What do you think about the world?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Earthquake in D.C.

Post by Spang »

I'm on TV. I'm standing behind the woman being interviewed at around 1:40 of the second video (scroll down).
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Earthquake in D.C.

Post by Funkmasterr »

Forgot you lived there, I should introduce you to the girl I know there, you guys would be great together, she's a total cunt. Be careful though, she's got the clap.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Funkmasterr wrote:Forgot you lived there, I should introduce you to the girl I know there, you guys would be great together, she's a total cunt. Be careful though, she's got the clap.
:shock: Hahahaha!
en kærlighed småkager
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Why didn't you tell them that if everyone stopped eating meat that earthquakes would stop?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

One of the things I've always liked about VV is the unwritten rule that insults and douchbagginess between people are pretty much confined to the thread where the disagreement started. Like, Miir is Sony's bitch in many threads, but I don't bring it up in every single thread he posts in. I pretty much limit it to the ones where his face is covered in 2 inches of hate paste from his latest Sony bukkake. We can be pretty abrasive towards one another in one thread/topic, then be perfectly fine in others (even posting within momments of the other thread). The occassional joke or callback is always funny, but to relentlessly mention the same shit in every thread is just too much IMO. Noel followed me around once and just bitched and bitched about God knows what, and it was enough of a put off to make me take a break from VV for awhile.

Know what I'm sayin'?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

**FF** !
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Hope things came out well for you. Was talking to a coworker in NJ when it happened, he thought it was his dog trying to get under his chair at first :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

You are right Fair, Sorry about that Spang.

I am glad you are safe and no major damage occurred. For the record, I was just having a little fun in the other thread too. I don't take any of this shit serious. I have never met any of you, but enjoy the site, the humor and the occasional verbal beatings. Are you the one with the facial hair looking at his phone?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

People were freaking the fuck out. You'd think we've never seen an earthquake before. Oh wait, we haven't.

ONE DVD CASE FELL OFF MY SHELF!!!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano wrote:Hope things came out well for you.
No, they evacuated Target. Two hours later, they said it would be another three-to-four. I'll have to go back tomorrow or whenever.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:Are you the one with the facial hair looking at his phone?
Yes, I was also looking at the microphone to see what network it was.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

This was the Best Buy being talked about (taken with my phone):

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Jaded West Coast chuckles over East Coast quake

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Soon after the lunch plates stopped rattling and books stopped thumping to the floor, shaken easterners could hear another sound from Tuesday's magnitude-5.8 quake: snickering emanating from the opposite side of the continent.

"Really all this excitement over a 5.8 quake??? Come on East Coast, we have those for breakfast out here!!!!" wrote Dennis Miller, 50, a lifelong California resident whose house in Pleasanton sits on an earthquake fault line.

On Twitter and Facebook and over email, people circulated a photo of a table and four plastic lawn chairs in a serene garden setting. One of the chairs flipped on its back. The mock image carried the title "DC Earthquake Devastation."

All the more laughable for some were the images of people fleeing buildings — the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do in a quake.

"Hey East Coast, the entire West Coast is mocking you right now," tweeted Todd Walker, an Anchorage TV anchorman.

The tough earthquake talk comes from a coast that is apparently jaded by its own seismic activity — or perhaps not as experienced as it imagines itself to be.

Tuesday's quake was the East Coast's largest since 1944. California alone has seen 35 quakes of that size since then, and since Japan's massive 9.0 quake on March 11, that country has experienced 93 aftershocks that registered more than magnitude-6.0.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

The problem isn't that east coasters are pussies about natural disasters. The problem likes with about 5 different competing 24 hour cable news stations with nothing more exciting to cover than the 10 solid days of the Iowa straw poll (which, historically, has never predicted a successful candidate). Apparently news about the absolute financial disaster the USA is in doesn't test well with their target market (50-55 year old dudes with erectile dysfunction and/or COPD if their ads are any indication). It really is a non-story, in a journalistic environment where millions of dollars a day in media resources are spent covering every minutiae of anything that people might be mildly interested in.

So you get coverage of a boring earthquake that did nothing other than possible knock some of Karl Rove's Almighty Satan collector plates off his walls, or a 30 minute long FOUR COMMENTATOR discussion of a profile shot of Michelle Bachmann eating a corn dog at the Iowa state fair.

I just saw a CNN reporter in the lobby of a posh Tripoli hotel wearing flak jacket that said "PRESS" on it and a world war 2 style army helmet. My fucking brain just about exploded.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Sueven wrote:ONE DVD CASE FELL OFF MY SHELF!!!
Oh noes! :)

Don't think building code in that part of the country accounts for quakes?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aabidano wrote:Hope things came out well for you. Was talking to a coworker in NJ when it happened, he thought it was his dog trying to get under his chair at first :)
I felt the shifting in my building definitely a little swaying. We thought it was construction at first since they are doing a lot of work in my complex. When I heard the folks from floors higher than my own in the stairwell, I told who was around to get out. The office is in an up and down area of north NJ so it could have been local however unlikely. The earthquake app on my phone had the 5.9 in Virginia but the radius of the effect didn't reach NJ.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

We could feel it in Toronto as well.
A small but noticeable vibration.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:A small but noticeable vibration.
Did it make your nipples hard?
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

miir wrote:We could feel it in Toronto as well.
A small but noticeable vibration.
We felt a little something in Sudbury as well. The government building had to be evacuated. What a joke.

3 days ago, we had a 3.3 with 3 aftershocks. Now today we get a tornado warning.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Chidoro wrote:
Aabidano wrote:Hope things came out well for you. Was talking to a coworker in NJ when it happened, he thought it was his dog trying to get under his chair at first :)
I felt the shifting in my building definitely a little swaying. We thought it was construction at first since they are doing a lot of work in my complex. When I heard the folks from floors higher than my own in the stairwell, I told who was around to get out. The office is in an up and down area of north NJ so it could have been local however unlikely. The earthquake app on my phone had the 5.9 in Virginia but the radius of the effect didn't reach NJ.
You get enough earthquakes in NJ to have an "earthquake app" on your phone?....

heh, was on the phone with a client and said "hey, um, were having an earthquake here, Ill have to call you back" and hung up... then the cell networks were down so I couldnt call her back.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!