London Riots

What do you think about the world?
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

London Riots

Post by Sargeras »

Wow, and I thought the Vancouver Stanley Cup riots were bad.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: London Riots

Post by miir »

Best tweet I've read about it.
so this revolution consists of looting small business's and putting innocent peoples lives in danger? im with the
government on this one
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It will be interesting to see the severity and effectiveness of the crackdown on looters, once order is restored. Don't they have camera systems all over the place?
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

My favorite is the looters posting pics of themselves and their spoils on Twitter.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aren't they breaking out rubber bullets for, like, the first time in over a decade to put these riots down? I thought I read a blurb on that but forgot where.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on August 9, 2011, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Where is Henry VIII during all of this???
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

all they need is a couple police brutality videos, and a whiney guy that got beat, and they will be just like LA! I do feel somewhat bad for Boris, their mayor. I think he's a fairly good politician (eek!)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The posting of loot + bragging (public confessions) via twitter is hilarious, I'm not sure how they'll prosecute them all but it'll happen eventually.

Plus they're setting it all up via services that weren't all previously but certainly are now being recorded for later legal action.

It's on par with a home arrest person robbing a store with his GPS tracker on.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The idiots bragging about sticking it to "the man" after destroying/robbing a small family-owned business should be flogged in public, while streaming the video to the web.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Europe is going to hell! Mass killings...riots. What's next?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:The idiots bragging about sticking it to "the man" after destroying/robbing a small family-owned business should be flogged in public, while streaming the video to the web.
+1
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Three men were killed last night while coming out of their mosque after evening prayers.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Europe has a big issue with immigrants from the Middle East. Europe has lots of issues. Mass Killers, Riots...racist killings. What's next?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Think it was the BBC reports that indicated they were trying to keep people from attacking their neighborhood, but they ended up getting run over by rioters.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Considering that area in Birmingham is predominantly Arab/Asian, it's doubtful they were targeted based on their religion
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah...think this was where I had run across the info: http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 13,00.html

There were reports of residents in some cities organizing to protect their businesses and neighborhoods. In Southall, west London, local Sikhs insisted they would protect their temple against rioters. Meanwhile the leader of the far-right English Defense League, Stephen Lennon, has said his group would "stop the riots," claiming the police were unable to cope with the situation.

A murder inquiry has been launched in Birmingham after a car ran over and killed three Muslim men. The men were reported to have been part of a group that was trying to protect their neighborhood. A 26-year-old man who was found shot in a car in the London suburb of Croydon on Monday has since died in hospital. He is believed to have been shot during unrest there.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I was mentioning this to someone else recently, but this is my prediction for how "it" starts in the US. Civil unrest over an 'unjust' government mixed together with a spark such as a LA riot over something completely unrelated.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

You are going to see more and more of these events spring up in the western world over the coming years as people come to realize the only way government is going to pay attention to them (if they aren't rich) is to wreck stuff. Combined with frustration that society is no longer benefiting them and a general lack of respect for authority (especially law enforcement). It is only a matter of time before riots start up in North America over similar situations and go out of control.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The difference? All the guns. It would be murderous chaos over here.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Leonaerd wrote:The difference? All the guns. It would be murderous chaos over here.
It's going to be fucking glorious. BURN ALL THE THINGS!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Leonaerd wrote:The difference? All the guns. It would be murderous chaos over here.
We have had more than our share of riots without it being murderous chaos here you buffoon.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

That's cute. You think a revolution would be like riots of the past.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

So, this is a revolution now?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Of course it isn't. But it could be. And it would be murderous chaos. Guns, etc.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You are a complete idiot. The exact same thing has happened here on several occasions and for the exact same reasons. In every case it is always a bunch of morons looking for some cause to just act like idiots. If they were intent on this being some protest against government or the police, then why would they be causing most of the damage to non-government buildings? This is just run of the mill douchery.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

You are a complete idiot
I love completing things!! Except college. Glad I left when I did.
If they were intent on this being some protest against government or the police, then why would they be causing most of the damage to non-government buildings?
I do not doubt that you are anything other than 100% aware of what "they" intend to accomplish. You made sure they read your book on rational discourse, right?

They are burning it down, breh. Why would you try to attach rational thinking to unrest? If it burns, they feel they've hurt government enough to justify their actions. In a big way, they're as correct as they are inconsiderate. Does government not rely largely on taxes from businesses? They won't stop with small business, either. "Ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on."

We exist as cogs in a growth-mandated system (capitalism) centered firmly around the usage of oil, which is just about gone. There won't be trucks to deliver food to your grocery store for much longer. Nobody knows this better than our corporate overlords, who could easily be milking us dry until they pull the plug from the safety of their gold-lined islands.

Population spikes. Water wars commence. These things will only continue to snowball. Many will die. It's all oil, man. I'm sure you've seen the population growth pictures.

It's no accident that our economy is in the shitter for all but the richest few. At least acknowledge that much?

Did you think you were voting a human being into office every four years?

The post-oil riots will be the revolution. It won't be televised.

I'm such an idiot. No perspective at all. Thankfully, my closed-minded, hostile ways of thinking allow me to fit right in with other right wing nutjobs.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I don't even know what the fuck you are attempting to say. The riots that take place here tend to be racially based......and in general are young, liberal, black gentleman with zero leadership trashing and looting at random. Just from the pics I have seen from the London riots, it looks pretty damn similar.

Now seeing as the demographic I just described are pretty much an untrained group of spastic ghetto wanta-be thugs and most do not own a reliable firearm, I don't think you have much to worry about.

If things ever DO deteriorate in the way you are talking about, the big cities are going to die first and die fast. That will eliminate most of the problems real fast. The rural areas will survive because they actually know how to live without the need of this digital age crap. The suburbs may be where you see some of the real battling as you do get a much larger cross section of society there.

If you live in the city just know you will not survive. If you live in the suburbs, get enough solar power to survive, know where water sources are and invest in purification, and make sure you have reliable firearms with plenty of ammo. Outside of losing the Xbox, I really could care less if things crumble to the ground and we start over.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I don't even know what the fuck you are attempting to say. The riots that take place here tend to be racially based......and in general are young, liberal, black gentleman with zero leadership trashing and looting at random. Just from the pics I have seen from the London riots, it looks pretty damn similar.
"Just from the pics" isn't good enough. Talk to actual locals (they're all over reddit), who say it's absolutely not a race thing. It's youth who are disenfranchised and feel cornered by the system. What happens when you corner a wild animal?

My guess is you were looking at pics from a mostly-black area. While the riots did start in a mostly black area, this represented just the kindling of a much larger fire.
If things ever DO deteriorate in the way you are talking about, the big cities are going to die first and die fast. That will eliminate most of the problems real fast. The rural areas will survive because they actually know how to live without the need of this digital age crap. The suburbs may be where you see some of the real battling as you do get a much larger cross section of society there.

If you live in the city just know you will not survive. If you live in the suburbs, get enough solar power to survive, know where water sources are and invest in purification, and make sure you have reliable firearms with plenty of ammo. Outside of losing the Xbox, I really could care less if things crumble to the ground and we start over.
Fucking love this. All of it. ^
I don't even know what the fuck you are attempting to say.
Online communication. It is what it is. Nobama '13!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The rural areas will survive because they actually know how to live without the need of this digital age crap.
I was referring to a 'spark' of how things could potentially start to go south in this country if things don't change and Leo started in another direction of running out of oil and such, which is a different situation.

Rural areas rely very heavily on oil/fuel. Horses aren't plowing the fields these days. The wimmins aren't milking the cows. Mary Ann isn't gathering the eggs. Pa ain't slaughtering dinner. Sure there are people with these abilities and knowledge, but relatively speaking they are few.

When we do run out of oil (however we got on this subject), and it will happen - there is zero debate of this, there had better already be a working plan in place. It comes down to how fast we run out. Initially prices will skyrocket of course. Airline companies will go out of business quickly. Retail will be shortly after. Gas will be rationed to corporations only for the purpose of delivering goods. Citizens won't be able to drive to work, which won't matter because they also won't be anyone able to drive to stores to make it worth keeping them open. Anyone that does have a good idea of how much oil is left isn't saying, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens when they can't cover it up anymore.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I was referring to a 'spark' of how things could potentially start to go south in this country if things don't change and Leo started in another direction of running out of oil and such, which is a different situation.
Things are bad in this country because of oil. The politicians lie because of oil. Oil oil oil. The unrest will start from some small spark, but that spark will have its roots fed by oil.
Anyone that does have a good idea of how much oil is left isn't saying, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens when they can't cover it up anymore.
Maybe there already is a plan, maybe they don't want one. Maybe they want it all to burn down, so there's no trail leading back to them as they ride in with mountains of gold to start up the new order. What concerns me is that we don't hear more rational countries like Switzerland and Finland and Germany offering up their take on what to do, post-oil. Why would this be? Did they give up on a solution? Or, is the solution being kept secret? Is this United Nations material? Do massive corporations have -that- much control that they can essentially tell all world leaders to shut up about it? I hope the solution is easy news, and is only kept secret because it would cause people to become fearful to imagine their lives being forcibly changed.

Realistically, though, there is no solution. Oil is EVERYTHING and no amount of natural gas will be able to prop up modern life. Which brings me back to wondering why we don't hear anything at ALL about something so important.

Many questions. Much riding on this secrecy. I just hope the good guys out there who know how evil it could all become have a reactionary plan to save mankind, or at least mitigate humanity's unraveling.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:You are a complete idiot. The exact same thing has happened here on several occasions and for the exact same reasons. In every case it is always a bunch of morons looking for some cause to just act like idiots. If they were intent on this being some protest against government or the police, then why would they be causing most of the damage to non-government buildings? This is just run of the mill douchery.
It started out with the family of that gangster doing a small protest infront of a police station. Then his gang buds decided to start trashing shit. Chavs decided to get in on it because chavs be all about gettin free shit innit?

At this point, you're right, it's got fuck-all to do with the government.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well there are plenty of ways to generate power without oil...including vehicles. You can power a vehicle by burning logs in it. The downside to that is the resources again are still finite and the only way to get certain things back to where they should be is for a large part of the population that is not productive to die. Shut the power off to this country for 6 months and it will happen.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Well there are plenty of ways to generate power without oil...including vehicles. .... Shut the power off to this country for 6 months and it will happen.
If you think it through, without years of preparation most of the human race would die while falling back to the society you're talking about.

No oil, no power means basically falling back to fired steam and direct hydro power. That would all have to be created basically from scratch, think of the difficulty level in getting back to something equivalent to our current technological state without widely and cheaply available power or oil.

Without factory farming a large part of the US population, including those needed to create the above infrastructure couldn't be fed, large cities are doomed no matter what. Implications to much of the rest of the world are worse, EU states, Japan and most of China would be devastated for instance.

The entire knowledge base and infrastructure for the society you're talking about would have to be in effect re-invented. Think global-Amish-ish and the population densities possible.

Unless we come up with "something new" or get off this rock it's inevitable, at some point.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Need to change thread title :P
The "Losers' Uprising," as German daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung termed it, could spread beyond Britain in the future. Many EU countries already fear the development of what the German media are describing as "English-style conditions." The Continent could be in for an explosive autumn, a situation some have already called a crisis of European democracy.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aabidano wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Well there are plenty of ways to generate power without oil...including vehicles. .... Shut the power off to this country for 6 months and it will happen.
If you think it through, without years of preparation most of the human race would die while falling back to the society you're talking about.

No oil, no power means basically falling back to fired steam and direct hydro power. That would all have to be created basically from scratch, think of the difficulty level in getting back to something equivalent to our current technological state without widely and cheaply available power or oil.
With the predicted solar storms for 2012-2013 we'll probably find out. Is that what the Mayans foresaw?!?
NASA and the European Space Agency have been warning the world for two years about the approaching catastrophes that may unfold during late 2011 through 2012.

Few have been listening.

Calling it a “once in a lifetime super solar storm event,” NASA warns that killer solar flares can slam the Earth knocking out the Northern Hemisphere’s technological infrastructure and kicking everything back to the level of the late 1800s.

Russia too has voiced concern. And now the eminent astrophysicist, Alexey Demetriev claims what is happening is worse—much worse—than what NASA and the ESA have admitted:

Our entire solar system is entering an immense, deadly, interstellar energy cloud.

Terrified scientists at NASA discovered on July 14, 2010 that our system is passing through an interstellar energy cloud. This highly energized, electrified cloud of gas is disturbing and disrupting the sun. In conjunction with Earth’s weakening and moving magnetic shield, the world is becoming defenseless against massive solar flares and intense radiation.

NASA, the ESA and the National Academy of Science have issued an unprecedented solar storm warning for 2012. But what NASA and the federal government are hiding, according to Demetriev, is that the sun—and everything in our solar system—has plunged into an alien, unknown photon cloud…a belt of danger that could precipitate gigantic solar explosions, magnetic anomalies, careening cometary masses and destabilize the orbits of some asteroids.

Entire solar system at risk

Dr. Demetriev has revealed that both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes report that the entire solar system is at risk. Worse, Merav Opher, a NASA Heliophysics Guest Investigator from George Mason University says this interstellar energy cloud is unstable and turbulent.

The Russian scientist further claims this cloud of energy is exciting the atmospheres of our planets and especially our sun. As this interstellar energy cloud continues to excite/charge the sun, it causes the sun to become more active, resulting in greater output from the sun. [Source: Coup Media Group]
Ok some conspiracy theory stuff there but look at the big picture!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

What the fucking fuck??
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What part of IMMENSE, DEADLY. INTERSTELLAR ENERGY CLOUD(!) are you unclear on?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Unclear on how to inwardly deal with a catastrophic likelihood so perilously out of my control.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Leonaerd wrote:Unclear on how to inwardly deal with a catastrophic likelihood so perilously out of my control.
Clearly lots of alcohol and sex. Not necessarily in that order.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Aabidano wrote:No oil, no power means basically falling back to fired steam and direct hydro power. That would all have to be created basically from scratch, think of the difficulty level in getting back to something equivalent to our current technological state without widely and cheaply available power or oil.

Without factory farming a large part of the US population, including those needed to create the above infrastructure couldn't be fed, large cities are doomed no matter what.
Your analysis is a bit off on these two points. While Agribusiness is reliant on petro-fertilizers to maintain current productivity levels, those levels are much higher than US demand. We could very easily feed ourselves without factory farms, using fairly low-tech methods.

We'd have some issues getting that food to market because our transportation grid is almost entirely oil-dependent, but we do have two things that would enable us to survive, as a whole: iron and coal. Yeah, the coal locomotive would come back as our main transportation system, and those nasty ass old coal power plants (as well as the few nukers we have) would generate most of our power. While that certainly wouldn't keep us at our current levels, we would not be as fucked as the Euros.

I don't think China would be all that bad. Their cities and industries would crumble, certainly, but they've got like a half-billion peasants doing very traditional farming living very basic lives who wouldn't even notice if the power got shut off.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Leonaerd wrote:Unclear on how to inwardly deal with a catastrophic likelihood so perilously out of my control.
Death isn't something I personally want to know is coming. On the other hand, I'd want to make sure to be with family at the time if it was.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

The real issue with the petroleum running out is not the fuel, its the plastics we derive from it. Good luck adequitely packaging most of the foodstuffs (and everything else) without access to cheap plastics. Not to mention there are like a billion other things that depend on the availability of plastic that drive our standard of living.....
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As with alternative energy, I'm sure there will be alternative packaging developed...nuclear packaging with lead liners or something.*

*we're so screwed!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The rural folks will be fine as they grow the stuff right there. It is you big city fucks that are going to die! Why should they care if their shit can get to you?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The rural folks will be fine as they grow the stuff right there. It is you big city fucks that are going to die! Why should they care if their shit can get to you?
Because the big city fucks are going to go invade the rural folks if that's where the food is at. And they'll be much like zombies in that you can't shoot all of them.

If people in the country don't think they will have anything to worry about they may want to reconsider.

--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Aslanna wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The rural folks will be fine as they grow the stuff right there. It is you big city fucks that are going to die! Why should they care if their shit can get to you?
Because the big city fucks are going to go invade the rural folks if that's where the food is at. And they'll be much like zombies in that you can't shoot all of them.

If people in the country don't think they will have anything to worry about they may want to reconsider.
Depends on how you define country. Yeah, the small farms in PA, upper NY, Vermont and Maine would be overrun and destroyed by the city idiots. But how are large populations going to travel 2000 miles to the heartland without food for a slow journey or oil for a fast one?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

masteen wrote:Your analysis is a bit off on these two points. While Agribusiness is reliant on petro-fertilizers to maintain current productivity levels, those levels are much higher than US demand. We could very easily feed ourselves without factory farms, using fairly low-tech methods.

We'd have some issues getting that food to market because our transportation grid is almost entirely oil-dependent, but we do have two things that would enable us to survive, as a whole: iron and coal. Yeah, the coal locomotive would come back as our main transportation system, and those nasty ass old coal power plants (as well as the few nukers we have) would generate most of our power. While that certainly wouldn't keep us at our current levels, we would not be as fucked as the Euros.

I don't think China would be all that bad. Their cities and industries would crumble, certainly, but they've got like a half-billion peasants doing very traditional farming living very basic lives who wouldn't even notice if the power got shut off.
True, thought about it some more afterward and agree. How many are going to die while we fall back and create the means to get goods to someplace like LA or NYC in sufficient quantity?

Rural areas outside the EU and US wouldn't be impacted all that much. Much of rural America would be just fine as well, assuming they're far enough out to not get raped & pillaged by hordes of starving people who also have guns.

I know a number of people who've got precious metals stashed pending the apocalypse, if you've got an at all meaningful amount on hand you're suddenly a prime target. Think of what necessities for even 6 months would cost. Food\livestock are safer and make you less of a target.

US folks who think they'll "defend their castle" basically need to already live in a community of like minded people and have livestock, seed and ~9-12 months non-perishable food on hand today and every day. Couple other notes I've seen, be at least 100 miles from a metropolis and be over the horizon (~8 miles) from any major thoroughfare.

*Edit - read about it a bit when a co-worker in NJ was talking about his "escape" preparations.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Well, you just described Utah. Mormons are taught to have a 2 year supply of food at all times. My parents still do that, even though they are no longer Mormons. If an end of the world scenario happened, I would high tail it to Utah and get baptized ASAP! The state is mostly Mormon, and they love guns and all the end of the world bullshit.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

A lot of the south fits the bill, excepting most of FL until you get up towards the panhandle.

Neighbors where I grew up were Mormons, whole basement was filled with food and 2 huge tanks of oil for the heaters.

Suppose aside from a big solar event or EMP of some other sort if anything of this nature happens it's not going to sneak up on us.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Siji wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The rural areas will survive because they actually know how to live without the need of this digital age crap.

Rural areas rely very heavily on oil/fuel. Horses aren't plowing the fields these days. The wimmins aren't milking the cows. Mary Ann isn't gathering the eggs. Pa ain't slaughtering dinner. Sure there are people with these abilities and knowledge, but relatively speaking they are few.

When we do run out of oil (however we got on this subject), and it will happen - there is zero debate of this, there had better already be a working plan in place. It comes down to how fast we run out. Initially prices will skyrocket of course. Airline companies will go out of business quickly. Retail will be shortly after. Gas will be rationed to corporations only for the purpose of delivering goods. Citizens won't be able to drive to work, which won't matter because they also won't be anyone able to drive to stores to make it worth keeping them open. Anyone that does have a good idea of how much oil is left isn't saying, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens when they can't cover it up anymore.
Luckily my grandparents own a few hundred acres with a bunch of horses, cows, chickens, etc on it and DO know how to do all of those things. When things fall apart, I'm heading straight there.

Aabidano wrote:
masteen wrote:Your analysis is a bit off on these two points. While Agribusiness is reliant on petro-fertilizers to maintain current productivity levels, those levels are much higher than US demand. We could very easily feed ourselves without factory farms, using fairly low-tech methods.

True, thought about it some more afterward and agree. How many are going to die while we fall back and create the means to get goods to someplace like LA or NYC in sufficient quantity?

Rural areas outside the EU and US wouldn't be impacted all that much. Much of rural America would be just fine as well, assuming they're far enough out to not get raped & pillaged by hordes of starving people who also have guns.

I know a number of people who've got precious metals stashed pending the apocalypse, if you've got an at all meaningful amount on hand you're suddenly a prime target. Think of what necessities for even 6 months would cost. Food\livestock are safer and make you less of a target.

US folks who think they'll "defend their castle" basically need to already live in a community of like minded people and have livestock, seed and ~9-12 months non-perishable food on hand today and every day. Couple other notes I've seen, be at least 100 miles from a metropolis and be over the horizon (~8 miles) from any major thoroughfare.

*Edit - read about it a bit when a co-worker in NJ was talking about his "escape" preparations.
Yeah, the hills of...well Greenhill (yes, thats the name of the area where they live) are pretty far out of view. In fact, its completely covered in trees and just sloping hills in every direction. 40-50 of us with 100+ guns and more ammo than we could ever need...with half of the people there being lifelong hunters. I think we could defend it pretty well.

Also, some natural springs around for water, and as I said, covered in trees for wood. Could build our own little town there with some work and great area for growing mass crops as well, as the area down around the water is spread out and flat after you get about 10 feet from the edge and could be irrigated easily.

Though, if we are in some giant proton cloud and about to get ripped apart by massive solar flares, it probably won't matter. They will have to be really really massive to make it through our ionosphere though, and unimaginably so (like 50x large than our sun is thought to be capable of producing) to do more than knock out electronics (not that a worldwide EMP wouldn't be bad enough).