What do you think about the world?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Copyright Alert System

Post by Aslanna »

Big brother is watching...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388184,00.asp
Do you subscribe to HBO or did you illegally download the latest episode of "True Blood" online? If it's the latter, you might find yourself in receipt of a warning from your ISP, thanks to a new agreement between Hollywood studios and service providers.

A coalition of copyright holders and ISPs like Comcast and Verizon have signed up for the "Copyright Alert System," which will provide notices to consumers if their ISP suspects there is illegal downloading going on.

Many ISPs already provide warnings to users if sketchy behavior is detected, but the Copyright Alert System is intended to provide a standardized approach that all ISPs will use. Going forward, users will get a notice if they are suspected of illegal downloading. If they ignore that message, the ISP might resort to pop-ups or redirecting to special Web sites that display the alert. If those too are ignored, the ISP will turn to "mitigation measures," which could include throttling or permanent re-direction to a warning landing page until contact is established.

"These steps will only be taken after multiple alerts and a failure by the subscriber to respond. This system consists of at least five alerts," the alliance said on its Web site. "We anticipate that very few subscribers, after having received multiple alerts, will persist (or allow others to persist) in the content theft."

Participating ISPs include AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon. The effort also has the support of the Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picture Association of America, as well as small and independent studios and labels.

"This is a sensible approach to the problem of online-content theft and, importantly, one that respects the privacy and rights of our subscribers," said Randal S. Milch, Verizon's general counsel.

"Consumers have a right to know if their broadband account is being used for illegal online content theft, or if their own online activity infringes on copyright rules—inadvertently or otherwise—so that they can correct that activity," said James Assey, executive vice president of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA).

The alliance insisted that account termination is not part of the alert system, but "section 512 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act requires that the ISPs have in place a termination policy for repeat copyright infringers as a condition of availing themselves of the Act's 'safe harbor' provision," the group said. "This is why subscribers have a right to know if it has been alleged that content theft is taking place on their accounts, and a right to respond."

ISPs will be made aware of the illegal downloading via "a notice from a copyright holder or its representative," the group said. The ISP matches the IP address identified by the copyright holder with a subscriber account, and then forwards a Copyright Alert to the subscriber. The ISPs, however, will "never provide any personally identifiable information to copyright holders" without a subpoena or court order, the group said.

Users can request an independent review before any of the "mitigation measures" are put into place, but that will cost them $35.

The group denied that the effort is similar to the "three strikes" laws being implemented across the pond because the alerts do not create any new laws or formal legal procedures and do not include account termination.
I'd say this affects torrents more than anything since it's easy for a "content holder or its representatives" to collect IP addresses that way. People who use that might want to look into things like proxies and Tor and stuff like that!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Re: Copyright Alert System

Post by Lynks »

I wonder what happens when someone like me who pays 100$ a month on satellite and has HBO but still downloads some of the previous episodes.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

The new "six strike" method of ISPs is a godsend for pirates. Your personal information will not be sent to any studio/company until you have received six strikes from your ISP. Ranging from emails for the first few warnings to ISP lockout where you need to contact them by the 5th. Most, if not all, of the bigger providers are on board.

If you aren't an idiot, you no longer have anything to fear from the RIAA.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice that Cox isn't on that list yet. I do download a torrent once in awhile. Typically that's something other than TV shows or movies though.

I'm ok with the movie industry pursuing current release movies. Anyone with sense, uses newsgroups (usenet) for that sort of thing (or any other piracy type activity)

I can see crackdowns on rapidshare type download services soon as well. For some reason, newsgroups are immune to everything. Weeee!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Usenet is a bit of information overload for n00bs like me though! I suppose I will have to try again when this new shit is enacted. I <3 piratebay!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Usenet is a bit of information overload for n00bs like me though! I suppose I will have to try again when this new shit is enacted. I <3 piratebay!

The info overload is cut out with the Supersearch/Newsleecher combination. There are plenty of pro tricks for finding stuff but general searches are easy enough with a good usenet search service. There's 2-3 years of files stores on usenet now.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Since I only D/L shows, and not that many at that, I may be better off trying to mask the IPs than to actually pay money for something :)
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Since I only D/L shows, and not that many at that, I may be better off trying to mask the IPs than to actually pay money for something :)

Thank this would be the place for you maybe!

http://bitsnoop.com/tv/series.html
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ohhh, I'll check that out. Thanks!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Might be some good advice in this article too: Managing your Privacy Online: BitTorrent Downloads

--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

VV, your source for YARRR news for over a decade!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Actually, the source was PC Magazine!

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

That article has some great information. Thanks!
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I wouldn't think usenet would be at all exempt\safe\whatever, your ISP is going to be parsing and reassembling pieces of suspicious streams looking for watermark xyz & variations, the data source is irrelevant unless it's encrypted and preferably anonymized as well. I've worked on a few products that could easily do the analysis piece, coolest of which never saw the light of day :(

Keep in mind the MPAA\RIAA are quite likely paying very well for this to happen.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aabidano wrote:I wouldn't think usenet would be at all exempt\safe\whatever, your ISP is going to be parsing and reassembling pieces of suspicious streams looking for watermark xyz & variations, the data source is irrelevant unless it's encrypted and preferably anonymized as well. I've worked on a few products that could easily do the analysis piece, coolest of which never saw the light of day :(

Keep in mind the MPAA\RIAA are quite likely paying very well for this to happen.
Well at least with this present plan the ISPs aren't the ones doing the investigation. It's the MPAA/RIAA/ESA and their cronies who go out fishing for the IPs and give them to the ISP to forward along a notice.

I'm not sure how SSL works with Usenet to be honest. I thought that was to provide an extra layer of security so people (or ISPs) couldn't figure out what exactly you were doing. Obviously The Man can still go to the usenet providers and demand information on who did what via logs but that's more work. Assuming providers actually keep logs of who retrieves which article. I don't know the protocol on that as to whether they are required by law or not to log that.

I'm sure they'll turn their full attention to Usenet in the future but for now they seem to be spending most of their effort fighting P2P.

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

SSL is just another point to point stream encryption method. Doesn't help of someone is watching an endpoint, the software is compromisable, you're victim of a man in the middle attack or whatever.

From the way I read it they seem to be doing content monitoring or claim to be, that's not possible unless they have access to the stream in realtime which means a box on the providers premise. Or an inconceivably* fat pipe to mirror it all elsewhere for viewing & analysis.

*just call statistics,no traffic or even details for a wireless carrier easily runs into the Pb range on a daily basis. Google's total processing volume was ~20Pb\day (iirc) last I looked.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388261,00.asp
How exactly does my ISP know what I'm downloading?
Your ISP is not keeping tabs on your Internet activity. If you distribute or download a file over a P2P network, however—from the latest episode of Game of Thrones to Transformers 3—that file includes an IP address associated with your account. Available technology can identify pirated content on these networks, and when it's found, the content holder will contact the ISP with the IP address.

Then what happens?
Your ISP will associate that IP address with the account on their network.

Great, so my ISP is handing over my information to record labels and movie studios?
The group said it will "never provide any personally identifiable information to copyright holders" unless required to do so via a subpoena or court order. It will instead start the process of notifying you that suspicious activity has been reported on your account.
Regardless.. I feel a lot safer utilizing Usenet than I do torrents. I checked with my usenet provider and (according to them) they don't do any download monitoring other than how much someone transfers for billing purposes. I would imagine that means they don't log it either. If anything they'd go over people that actually post copyrighted works and providers themselves before going after individuals that actually downloaded them assuming they can even easily figure that out.

--
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

PRIVATE TRACKERS DARK INTERNET WHAT U KNOW
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

What a bunch of ass-fucking tomfoolery. I guess I'll have to figure out how to use this usenet jive since torrents seem to be more and more trouble as the months go by.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Considering the good stuff to garbage ratio, I don't understand what folks are downloading. Besides those in demented squirrel storage mode like Winnow anyway.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

If you're really concerned, as noted in the article above, a VPN provider is fairly cheap. The one the article mentions (HideMyNet) is only $5 a month and provides tunnels to various places around the world. The most feature rich and popular one I found was Hide My Ass which is about $11 a month but has a much nicer client (auto reconnects, auto IP switching, auto server switching, etc). Both support OpenVPN, L2TP and PPTP. (Info).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I just signed up for Astrill which is a VPN provider with an assload of servers all over the world.

So far so good. Tried a site in Japan that's normally blocked and I went right through.

This will be nice for Korean, China, Japan, etc game betas etc.

Check them out. Their support looks great and the app you download is very simple to use:

https://www.astrill.com/

Here specifically is a guideline to setup uTorrent with Astrill:

https://www.astrill.com/blog/index.php/ ... t-example/

I'm impressed by how easy this was to setup, the number of countries that servers are in, and the ease of switching between servers and openWeb/openVPN

You can turn it on/off quickly as well. Speed seems great so far. I'm surfing from Japan atm.

Video of it in use (lame music)

https://www.astrill.com/tour.php

I'll probably use it to try out Spotify over in the UK as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Well Spotify works. (just punch in a UK postal code when registering (one of London's is N20)

Not too shabby. I like Grooveshark better overall but Spotify is more professional (as in the album covers are there, organization is better, etc)

I like the album view for artists. Nice clear view of all the artist's albums and songs.

I'm as one with the Euros. My armpit hair just grew like 2 feet long!

Fast. Using openVPN with UK server and it's speedy. No delays, bandwith monitor shows fast transfer rates.

I'm really impressed with Astrill. I tried Vyper VPN that came free with my Giganews Diamond account and it was a pain in the ass. Astrill is hassle free. I didn't need to set anything, just install the app. I like the easy little app that toggles on/off so easy as well as the up/download speeds always visible so you know it's working (using VPN and not your open connection). There's also a little taskbar icon that lets you toggle on/off as well as check your current IP. This is about as sexy as a VPN service can get.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Scheduled IP changes (Change your IP address at set time intervals) at HMA is pretty sexy too.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Think I'll try out one of those VPN providers.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Looks like Hide My Ass prices are: 11.52 per month (monthly)/8.44 per month(6-months)/6.55 per month (1 year)

30-day money-back, yadda yadda... need more testimonials/research before subscribing, however. Looks like a solid VPN service on paper...
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just a little update...Spotify is pretty damn cool. Took awhile to check it all out. Really like the way playlists work, related artists, albums, bios, instant play on songs (zero delay) Nice integration with iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc.

This may very well be worth the $10/month it's going to run in the U.S. For anyone savvy with the VPN stuff, it's worth trying out freebie Spotify right now to see if you like it. You get 20 hours of music free for the month plus get to enjoy advertisements, both limitations won't be there if you pay your 9.99/month.

Having a good day. sold 15,000 shares of a Chinese company for a 35% gain over a one week period. Yes! I feel so international. *hi five Chinese peeps!* Weeee.

Could be the margaritas talking!
Canelek wrote:Looks like Hide My Ass prices are: 11.52 per month (monthly)/8.44 per month(6-months)/6.55 per month (1 year)

30-day money-back, yadda yadda... need more testimonials/research before subscribing, however. Looks like a solid VPN service on paper...
Astrill is actually cheaper then! (but 3 month minimum)

can use this coupon for another 10% off:

https://www.astrill.com/aeb69be9e

23.36 for 3 months
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There's more to look at then just cost! You wouldn't necessarily go with the cheapest LASIK people would you? I didn't think so!

Also if you try HMA for 30 days don't go over 10GB of bandwidth if you plan to ask for a refund. I think I'd probably try a month to see if it fit my needs then do a yearly plan somewhere as the rates are like half of what going month to month would be.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I'd have no issue going the try-for-30 first and then committing to a longer-term plan. Those are good prices!

HMA and Astrill seem to get similar reviews as far as setup ease, cost, server locations/#s, IP ranges and overall ease of use.

Either seem solid, but I will try HMA for comparison reasons (VV VPN trials?) :)

Should have a chance next week to give it a go....been tied up with house projects!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

HMA = Facebook

Astrill = Google +

"Hide My Ass?" What kind of name is that for a company? Where does plausible deniability factor in with a name like, "Hide My Ass?"
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

That's actually a very good point from a professional standpoint.
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Canelek wrote:Looks like Hide My Ass prices are: 11.52 per month (monthly)/8.44 per month(6-months)/6.55 per month (1 year)

I spent way too much time looking at providers last night, which is why I mentioned HMA seemed the most popular. Their IP pool was crazy huge (think it was 13k or 18k possible IP addresses or something). Astrill has more countries, but that's not a big selling point to me personally versus the options HMA offers. There's a graph on the HMA site of the rate of server additions they've done since starting and it's crazy. The HMA client seemed the most feature rich client by far from what I saw. Not saying anything bad about Astrill. Until Winnow mentioned them I hadn't even heard of them. Which in itself could say something, since HMA is found everywhere you search for VPN providers. Most reviews I saw for HMA were positive. I'm sure either would be a good choice. HMN would probably be fine too if you just want something cheap and only need a handful of countries to work with (which really you do since the only time you're going to use a foreign VPN while in the states is to get to US blocked apps/sites). In my case though, features of the HMA client and robustness of the provider are a huge selling point.

I'll probably try HMA here shortly as well for the 30 days. If it's good I'll do the year thing and make it like $6.55 a month. The HMA website has a lot of useful stuff as well, beyond the VPN.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I checked HMA's server list and they're really hurting in asia.

Hong Kong
Singapore

That's it for all of Asia for HMA. You're not going anywhere in China, Japan or Korea.

Astrill for Asia: (44 Countries, Unlimited Switches)

Korea
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
China
Philippines
Thailand

----
I'm more interested in being able to access individual countries if needed than to have thousands of IPs. Who cares? You're already anonymous and going through SSL on Astrill.

The software doesn't look nearly as slick either. Astrill has a nice compact app you can leave on your desktop that still provides useful data as well as easy switching from OpenVPN/OpenWeb and expert/easy modes.

I also like this feature of Astrill: "bypass my country", all local sites are opened directly, and international sites are opened using the VPN.

I didnt' see that option on HMA although I may have missed it.

With this kind of thing, I'm looking for hassle free and Asrill certainly is that while also offering great features along with the most countries.
This is why Hide My Ass is cool. It's up there with my favorites (12vpn, Astrill, and iVPN) as far as user compatibility goes.

One big problem though – they're blocked.

Ok, not all the time, but a lot of the time. They've got the SSL/OpenVPN needed by users in China, but you can't get to it if the site is blocked.

What would I suggest?

I think Hide My Ass is a cool VPN service. If you're planning on coming to China, get your VPN set up with them before you go. If you're hear and on the off-chance they're not blocked for a while, you can check them out. Hide My Ass won't do you wrong.

But if HMA continues to be blocked, there are lots of other services featured at the site that aren't blocked – Astrill, 12vpn, iVPN
Bummer about HMA being blocked. I'm sure HMA is good too but damn is Astrill slick. I was also impressed with it's ease and support. plus, it's Got the big gaming asian countries, Korea, Japan and China. HMA would be useless there for me.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Winnow wrote:I checked HMA's server list and they're really hurting in asia.
Hong Kong
Singapore
That's it for all of Asia for HMA. You're not going anywhere in China, Japan or Korea.
Are there sites you're wanting to visit that only residents of China, Japan or Korea can reach?
Winnow wrote:I'm more interested in being able to access individual countries if needed than to have thousands of IPs. Who cares? You're already anonymous and going through SSL on Astrill.
Being able to change your IP is extremely useful for sites that track and limit usage by IP. If memory serves correctly, this would fall into things like megaupload or Rapidshare and all those things. As long as I can appear to not be in the US, I'm fairly certain any US blocking site I want to reach will work just fine without needing to originate from Asia.
Winnow wrote:The software doesn't look nearly as slick either. Astrill has a nice compact app you can leave on your desktop that still provides useful data as well as easy switching from OpenVPN/OpenWeb and expert/easy modes.
Apparently your definition of slick doesn't match mine. I think the HMA client is slick as hell. (See shots below)
Winnow wrote:Ok, not all the time, but a lot of the time. They've got the SSL/OpenVPN needed by users in China, but you can't get to it if the site is blocked.
The price of rice in China means nothing to me. Nor does their ability to get to HMA influence my judgement of how good it is. ymmv.

Here are some screenshots of the various configuration areas of the HMA client.
[Show]
Again, I'm not knocking any other VPN service or insisting HMA, HMN or any other is better than any other. Personally, I find HMA the best fit for my desires and if asked my recommendation would give it for HMA.

One thing I don't think was very clear from my screenshots which I find nice, is that the client has a built in speed test you can perform on any or all of the available servers, and based on all or a single VPN type. It will do one of three types (you pick) to determine the fastest servers to you (based on ping, u/l speeds or both). Then once the speed test is done it groups those servers and you can choose to load balance only within that group of 'fast servers'. Otherwise the load balancing can be done in other ways (country, distance, etc).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Slick to me definitely means something else. The mini app that does it all with informative data on the screen is a lot slicker and does the same thing as the monster settings app you show multiple images of. I don't need to go through that. It's all accessible using the mini screen display or from the task bar.

All your screenshots can be condensed into this little app:

ImageImage

All other settings are also handled within the nice little window as well. Fast, easy access.

I guess if you're trying to trick rapishare, HMS wins as I can only trick it like 100 times before having to recycle IPs (um, by that time wouldn't the wait time expired anyway? isn't 10 streams 10 x's in a row enough?) while you can fool it thousands of times...to what purpose I don't know, as Astrill's switching is instant.

If that's all you got (fooling rapishare), I don't think I'd need to do it more than the number of servers Astrill has in the US alone, much less use international servers, while I still have access to many more countries when I actually want to do something other than download stuff. I also like the feature I mentioned that allows you to leave the U.S open while automatically switching to VPN for foreign countries.

Nothing Against Hide My Ass except it's name. Unless there's a speed difference (I'm curious about which is faster), either service should be fine although I think Astrill is easier for the novice and more convenient access to quick switching between countries, servers openWeb/openVPN and just plain turning the thing on and off.
Last edited by Winnow on July 9, 2011, 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Who gives a fuck about china, Japan and Korea?
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Who gives a fuck about china, Japan and Korea?
Siji wrote:As long as I can appear to not be in the US, I'm fairly certain any US blocking site I want to reach will work just fine without needing to originate from Asia.
Countries like Japan block all outside traffic for things like MMO game betas, etc. That means you need to originate in that country, not just any country outside of the US as every country is blocked...so having servers in Korea (Blade and Soul, Tera, Arch Age) and Japan (gets betas without needing a Korean ID card) is very useful as I don't spam download rapidshare (that's what newsgroups are for) and rarely torrent, so using VPN for other purposes is useful for me at least.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ahhh. Didn't realize that. Fair nuff!
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

have people actually gotten warnings, or notices, or whatever yet?
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

At least you're dependable Winnow. Once a fanboi, everything else sucks in your opinion. Glad Astrill works for you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:At least you're dependable Winnow. Once a fanboi, everything else sucks in your opinion. Glad Astrill works for you.

All I'm saying is that Astrill is the sexier app. If you can agree that in a situation like an earthquake where you were pinned under something, but had at least one hand free, and the power somehow was still on and all you could see was the app for HMA or Astrill on your PC screen, but out of reach to change...that Astrill would be the app more fappable to, then I think we can move on from this run on sentence and topic.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Winnow wrote:Nice that Cox isn't on that list yet. I do download a torrent once in awhile. Typically that's something other than TV shows or movies though.

I'm ok with the movie industry pursuing current release movies. Anyone with sense, uses newsgroups (usenet) for that sort of thing (or any other piracy type activity)

I can see crackdowns on rapidshare type download services soon as well. For some reason, newsgroups are immune to everything. Weeee!
Newsgroups are pissing me off lately. Seems every file I download makes my anti-virus or anti-malware go berserk. I'll examine the .rar file and see a "blahblah.exe" as the only file in the .rar. Yeah, lemme just go click on that and let it do what it wants.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah there are numerous people who flood thousands of those into newsgroups. They are usually easy to spot if you're scrolling through the group but no so much if supersearching . That and password .rar files. Newsleecher added detection for those and it stops when it encounters but it still leaves the first file there. I didn't see a way to tell it to delete that as well but it's a start.

Oh and if the subject has .rar in it you're pretty much guaranteed a bogus file so don't bother. Easy to file those out in supersearch just as a 'AND NOT .rar' (.zip too) to whatever you're searching on.

(Oh update.. That actually filters out the first rar... Doesn't have that affect when killing those in groups!)

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There's a lot of noise in the newsgroups but easy to spot.

Open the first rar. if you see that it's password protected, don't bother downloading. A rar within a rar is almost always a scam.

Use torrent sites or RS Log type sites to find good copies and then go get them on the newsgroups.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So it's been two weeks now.. Those who are using VPN services how are they holding up?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Astrill is working great. It's just an ON/OFF toggle away anytime I need it with quick access through the small taskbar app to change VPN server/country locations if I want.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, keep the info coming. I'm going to have to pull the trigger on one some time soon here.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

i don't get it, does it make my IP show up as hilarious things in bittorrent? i was downloading from salute.your.shorts the other day.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:So it's been two weeks now.. Those who are using VPN services how are they holding up?
Peachy. Have my HMA vpn up 24x7. I've done several speed tests and find no speed difference between having it off or on. The IP binding feature of the HMA client works nicely. Anytime I disconnect the VPN tunnel, my selected apps immediately lose Internet connectivity. (e.g. Torrent client - so I never have to worry about it being unprotected since it won't work unless on the VPN)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
Aslanna wrote:So it's been two weeks now.. Those who are using VPN services how are they holding up?
Peachy. Have my HMA vpn up 24x7. I've done several speed tests and find no speed difference between having it off or on. The IP binding feature of the HMA client works nicely. Anytime I disconnect the VPN tunnel, my selected apps immediately lose Internet connectivity. (e.g. Torrent client - so I never have to worry about it being unprotected since it won't work unless on the VPN)

If Astrill VPN is on....it's on...if the VPN is down it doesn't somehow switch unprotected mode. No concerns about it somehow switching off without me knowing...can't believe that's even a concern with HMA!