Batshit Insane 2012

What do you think about the world?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Batshit Insane 2012

Post by masteen »

Avestan wrote:That is a $60 billion per year industry we created with a single regulation. That is money going out of the hands of companies and into the hands of banks and auditers. Do you think that maybe cost this country a job or two?

Shareholders lost $11 billion when Enron went under.
The big difference is that regulatory compliance fees don't make money disappear, that cash re-enters the economy at some point. Enron fucking vaporized that $11 billion dollars.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

That cash re-enters the economy into the hands of bankers and auditers. . .I will assume that you agree with me that is not exactly efficient re-entry.

By your logic, we could quintuple the cost of regulation and the economy could benefit even more!

Every time you create another layer of regulation, deadweight loss is created and money is moved away from inventors and creators into the hands of professional beaurocrats and accountants.

Remember - $60 billion is only the cash paid to auditers. The real cost is far higher. You also need to have internally staffed people familiar with SOX and all of your IT systems have to be reinvented to comply. Also - remember that this is paid every stinking year.

While I feel bad for 401k holders and amatuer investors, that $11 billion loss fell mostly on prfessional investors and funds who understood the risk they were taking. Most of the people who lost money on Enron, made money on Enron first.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Avestan wrote:While I feel bad for 401k holders and amatuer investors, that $11 billion loss fell mostly on prfessional investors and funds who understood the risk they were taking. Most of the people who lost money on Enron, made money on Enron first.
And then they hid that risk and pawned it off onto the very investors you fake sympathy for. SOX prevents this by adding government oversight.

From the relevant links on wikipedia, it looks like a great piece of legislation that has strengthened market confidence while the costs of compliance continue to drop. Regulation works!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'm curious why we're assuming that SOX compliance costs $4MM per year? According to the first non-Wikipedia google hit I could find:
Protiviti wrote:Most organizations spend in the range of $100,000 to $1 million annually on compliance-related activities.
Skimming some other articles seem to point out that the cost is the most expensive in the first year of compliance.
Business Finance Magazine wrote:So is the expense worth it? That answer depends heavily on the maturity of a company's compliance process, according to survey respondents. While first year companies generally say the costs of SOX outweigh the benefits, those in year two and beyond say just the opposite -- the benefits of SOX compliance outweigh the costs. And those benefits most often cited in the survey include an enhanced understanding of control design and control operating effectiveness, increased effectiveness and efficiency of operations and the ability of internal audit to perform more traditional and valuable audits in areas other than financial reporting processes.
Other articles point out that some legislation passed in 2007 reduced costs, so perhaps you're using outdated information? I dunno. Just want to make sure we aren't basing our opinions on incorrect facts.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Guarantee that his sample size is one.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I honestly did not look it up, but I am "in the business" as they say. The rule of thumb is that if you are thinking about going public, you need to be prepared for a total cost to your business of around $4 million annually.

I did some quick Google searches and the $100k number is crazy low. Some overall estimates are as low as $2 million average - so use that number if you want - $30 billion industry. Whoa that changes all of my arguments. Not.

edit - this article seems reasonable: http://www.researchstock.com/cgi-bin/rv ... 20050311-F
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

masteen wrote:
Avestan wrote:While I feel bad for 401k holders and amatuer investors, that $11 billion loss fell mostly on prfessional investors and funds who understood the risk they were taking. Most of the people who lost money on Enron, made money on Enron first.
And then they hid that risk and pawned it off onto the very investors you fake sympathy for. SOX prevents this by adding government oversight.

From the relevant links on wikipedia, it looks like a great piece of legislation that has strengthened market confidence while the costs of compliance continue to drop. Regulation works!
I never said that SOX did not do what was intended. When you buy a $100k car you cannot afford, it will get you from point A to point B, but it was still dumb to buy it.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Avestan wrote:
masteen wrote:

I never said that SOX did not do what was intended. When you buy a $100k car you cannot afford, it will get you from point A to point B, but it was still dumb to buy it.
That might be the worst analogy for regulation imaginable.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I usually find that when people start to feel like they are losing arguments, they start trolling. It seems like you have entered this phase. I will count that as victory :)
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You pretty much did all the work of discrediting your own example of "bad regulation" for me, then followed it up with a nonsensical analogy. Victory is mine!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

You are indeed brave sir knight but the day is mine!
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Whatever. As long as Palin or Bachmann don't end up anywhere near the White House we will all be able to count that as a victory.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aslanna wrote:Whatever. As long as Palin or Bachmann don't end up anywhere near the White House we will all be able to count that as a victory.
I'd lump Perry in that category as well, not quite at Bachmann level but he's daffy as well.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Perry scares me the most of the three kooks, actually. His ridiculous hypocracy shrouded with a healthy lair of Jesus-ness and racism are a lot more insidious than the outright batshit insane and stupid Palin and Bachman. He is like a GW Bush who actually cognitively participating in the raping of the electorate. Sadly, his stated stances are probably the most centrist of the whole GOP cast of horrors, aside from Romney (who the Tea Baggers will make absolutely certain does not get anywhere).
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Pointyboots even carries his handgun while he goes running. Pulled it out and shot a coyote on his morning jog not too long ago.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

was the coyote attacking him? seems like odd behavior for a coyote.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Probably. The Austin area isn't exactly a sea of content for him. Him = Perry. Coyotes are probably liked more.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Coyotes are becoming a problem in a lot of cities in the U.S. Would not be unusual for someone to eliminate one, especially if it was within range of a handgun.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Coyotes are becoming a problem in a lot of cities in the U.S. Would not be unusual for someone to eliminate one, especially if it was within range of a handgun.
I think killing our problems is a great solution. We have an obesity problem in this country. I think we should start slaughtering fat people.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I won't argue against it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

We have a huge pack of coyotes that hunt pretty much in out back yard. It's pretty cool and a bit eerie listening to them when they are hunting, then suddenly it goes dead silent. Cracks me up that so many people around us let their cats roam around.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Government is out last protection from the free market. De-regulation caused this recession.

The GOP is a party based in fear. Fear of homosexuals, fear of blacks, fear that someone is trying to steal your grub. Rick Santorum will tell you he supports the soldiers as long as they're heterosexual. The other's will sit silently nodding their heads. Rick Perry used to be a democrat who sold his soul for the electorate. Did I mention he was a C student at Texas A&M? At least Bush went to Yale. Michelle Bachman believes God commanded her to become a tax enforcer, chasing down unpaid taxes, and the same God told her she needs to go into public office and eliminate all taxes. Mitt Romney made millions razing businesses and firing people. Business owners aren't the best leaders for a country. They're the best leaders at finding a way to monetize the government (military-industrial complex) for their buddies. Raising taxes creates jobs. Look it up. Fucking Reagan did it. Tax breaks to the rich does not create jobs. It creates richer rich people who could give a fuck about the common man. The middle class is disappearing and it's their fault. More money for the top. All the rich learned from the recession is that they can lay off half their underlings and make the rest work harder and longer for less money, maximizing profits.

Ever heard of corporate charity? corporate altruism?

The party of Jebus acts like the party of Satan. It's borderline sociopathic.

Fuck you
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Government is out last protection from the free market. De-regulation caused this recession.

The GOP is a party based in fear. Fear of homosexuals, fear of blacks, fear that someone is trying to steal your grub. Rick Santorum will tell you he supports the soldiers as long as they're heterosexual. The other's will sit silently nodding their heads. Rick Perry used to be a democrat who sold his soul for the electorate. Did I mention he was a C student at Texas A&M? At least Bush went to Yale. Michelle Bachman believes God commanded her to become a tax enforcer, chasing down unpaid taxes, and the same God told her she needs to go into public office and eliminate all taxes. Mitt Romney made millions razing businesses and firing people. Business owners aren't the best leaders for a country. They're the best leaders at finding a way to monetize the government (military-industrial complex) for their buddies. Raising taxes creates jobs. Look it up. Fucking Reagan did it. Tax breaks to the rich does not create jobs. It creates richer rich people who could give a fuck about the common man. The middle class is disappearing and it's their fault. More money for the top. All the rich learned from the recession is that they can lay off half their underlings and make the rest work harder and longer for less money, maximizing profits.

Fuck you
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

read it twice shit heads
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Gzette wrote:Government is out last protection from the free market. De-regulation caused this recession.

Fuck you
thrice ftw
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Coyotes are becoming a problem in a lot of cities in the U.S. Would not be unusual for someone to eliminate one, especially if it was within range of a handgun.
I'm not against either concealed carry or shooting coyotes. That said, shooting a coyote with something you're going to carry while running on the other hand, unless it was at extremely close range isn't likely the best.

Anyone in his position who feels the need to carry while running is just making a political statement to idiots who will gobble it up. Possibly an idiot himself if he thinks it would be in any way effective against anyone who might mean him ill.

In general anyone else who feels compelled to carry a gun while running might be better off picking a different area to run in. As a rule your average criminal doesn't stray far from home when looking for a victim.

*Edit - Except for large mammals control by hunting doesn't work over time, in the coyote's case about all you can do is reduce the food supply or poison them.
Last edited by Aabidano on September 25, 2011, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Not to mention pulling said gun out in public and firing it off like he thinks he's fucking wyatt earp. Because bullets always hit exactly what the shootist is aiming at and nothing bad could possible come of it.

It's too bad the round didn't ricochet and hit another concealed carry advocate between the eyes. I'd rather those idiots get gunned down than a coyote.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just for the two ignorant posts above:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/2 ... 54397.html

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger – loaded with hollow-point bullets – when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I don't like spiders. I don't run around my yard with a laser sighted handgun loaded with hollow points in case I see one. Of course, I'm not a moronic fucking twat living out my cowboy fantasies. I imagine that people like Rick Parry and yourself would have a problem identifying with that.

I also lack a penis so I do not feel the need to compensate for my little tiny one with a handgun.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger – loaded with hollow-point bullets – when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

How does that help him at all with snakes? How is stopping to pull out your gun, loaded with hollow-point which I'm pretty sure isn't necessary for snake hunting to begin with, aiming and then shooting at it make any sense? If you see a snake move the fuck away. It's not like the gun is any sort of deterrent to snakes since they have no clue what that is and they are also out minding their own business.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Don't Americans have the constitutional right to shoot and kill things that they are afraid of?

Like snakes, coyotes, muslims and socialists!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Just for the two ignorant posts above:

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

What makes it ignorant?

A coyote that menaced his puppy? Give me a break.

Laser sighted means basically crap, generally speaking it won't make a something you're going to carry more accurate. Faster on human targets perhaps but no more humane or effective against varmints.

Carrying a .380 in case of snakes is.... Just dumb. The only aggressive\territorial snake I'm aware of in North America is the cottonmouth, and you sure as shit aren't going to hit one with a pistol as it comes at you. Carry a golf club instead.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It really doesn't matter what you turds want or like....he has the right to do it. Just like your first amendment right to be fuckwit clowns ironically.

How does that help him at all with snakes? How is stopping to pull out your gun, loaded with hollow-point which I'm pretty sure isn't necessary for snake hunting to begin with, aiming and then shooting at it make any sense? If you see a snake move the fuck away. It's not like the gun is any sort of deterrent to snakes since they have no clue what that is and they are also out minding their own business.
A .380 auto would not be my first choice for snakes OR coyotes. In a lot of the areas he would be running, he better rethink his choices and step up to something that can stop cougars and such reliably.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aabidano wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Just for the two ignorant posts above:

What makes it ignorant?

A coyote that menaced his puppy? Give me a break.

Laser sighted means basically crap, generally speaking it won't make a something you're going to carry more accurate. Faster on human targets perhaps but no more humane or effective against varmints.

Carrying a .380 in case of snakes is.... Just dumb. The only aggressive\territorial snake I'm aware of in North America is the cottonmouth, and you sure as shit aren't going to hit one with a pistol as it comes at you. Carry a golf club instead.

If the coyote was out in broad daylight and did not take off immediately when a human was within range of a .380 pocket pistol is DEFINITELY a threat. The effective range on those is 20 yards for someone that is a decent marksman. A coyote could close 20 yards in about 2.5 seconds.

The part I was looking at with the statement of ignorance was actually this for your part:
In general anyone else who feels compelled to carry a gun while running might be better off picking a different area to run in. As a rule your average criminal doesn't stray far from home when looking for a victim.

*Edit - Except for large mammals control by hunting doesn't work over time, in the coyote's case about all you can do is reduce the food supply or poison them.
Coyotes are predators that are adapting (oh noz it is evolution!) to go after more plentiful and easier food sources in the urban areas. You won't be able to reduce it's food supply as long as people are around and old women love cats.

As far as carrying concealed and it being only for human predators, well that is completely foolish. There are many areas of this country where you better be packing something significant or you are going to be a snack for a bear, cougar, or mountain lion. I do agree that what he was carrying just makes no sense at all....but then he IS a politician (and if he was carrying a gun that would take out a cougar or bear reliably, the liberal left would be jumping all over this story).
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Shooting _a_ coyote for the reason given doesn't hold water. I don't disagree with this at a technical level, I just think it makes him look like a boob.

*Edit, it's like he's got a checklist of political images he's trying to surround himself with, not realizing the overall impression he's creating.

People aren't prey for cougar, except when stupid people have been feeding them and even then it's the association with obtaining food, not people as food. That said, don't go jogging with your puppy or yappy dog in known cougar areas unless you're a stupid person. Similar with bears, alligators, etc.. Maybe coyote too, dunno about them. Everyone here knows you don't walk your little crap dog next to a lake with gators in it for instance.

I can agree with your comment - sort of, in bear country, if you're doing something associated with food, especially hunting. Not running. Who in their right mind jogs with a hunting handgun? My 41 mag TC Contender was freaking heavy. But then I'm smart enough not to jog around in a blueberry patch in ME when I know bears are around or after having quartered an elk and am still smelling like blood.

If you're being ambushed by a cougar getting a shot off before it's on you is unlikely, even more so if you're running, though you could crack one off as it carries off little fluffikins.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger – loaded with hollow-point bullets – when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes
Again.. How does carrying a gun do anything about snakes? If you see them run around them. If you don't and you get bit it's already to late. What possible scenario does a gun help this pathetic human in regards to snakes? The answer is it doesn't.

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aslanna wrote:
Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger – loaded with hollow-point bullets – when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes
Again.. How does carrying a gun do anything about snakes? If you see them run around them. If you don't and you get bit it's already to late. What possible scenario does a gun help this pathetic human in regards to snakes? The answer is it doesn't.
What are you talking about, handguns are the perfect weapon for skinny, low to the ground, slitherers :lol:
jesus, even a can of compressed air would be better
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Golf club, seriously. Works great and easy to aim.

Gators were a "water hazard" on the NWS Charleston golf course, moccasins were your own problem :)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I've found that a large rock will solve most, if not all snake encounters.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Honestly, I HATE snakes and if I am going into an area where I know snakes are a possibility I switch my carry gun to a .357 revolver loaded with the snakeshot as the first two up in the cylinder. I am sure I *COULD* hit a snake with a standard defense round, but I don't see a reason to try it. There is shit made specifically for it and think he has a very poor choice of firearms in general, but what he has chosen is a decent choice for someone who is a runner. He would be better off with a lightweight J frame S&W .38 special though.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:As far as carrying concealed and it being only for human predators, well that is completely foolish. There are many areas of this country where you better be packing something significant or you are going to be a snack for a bear, cougar, or mountain lion.
And as far as this bit specifically goes, it's just not true unless you're doing something that makes you appear to be food or are doing something else foolish.

Over the course of time I've been camping and backpacking every state but AK, VT and HI, every Canadian province, lots and lots of time in the Rocky and Wasatch mountains, here and there in NM, etc... I've never had a problem with wild animals other than raccoons anyplace except Banff National Park, where dumbasses had been feeding the bears for years.
carry gun to a .357 revolver loaded with the snakeshot
If you're just wanting to shoot a stationary snake, a .22 with hollow points or even something slow like a 38 S&W LRN is better, snake shot isn't worth spit. A .22 cal pellet pistol even, mine will penetrate halfway through a paperback (great use for romance novels).
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It works on copperheads! Seen that one in person and kind of surprising how effective it is at 10 feet from a 6" barrel.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I still don't understand why you have to shoot the snake. Why just leave the fucking snake alone and be on your way? Carrying a gun does not make you any safer against snakes at all.

Your argument makes no sense.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

We've had to shoot snakes on my mom's land for years. Several types can be aggressive in the area, and the lack of their normal prey drives them into urban areas for small pets. The coyote problem has been getting worse through the drought over the last year. Two of my mom's dogs have been killed, and a third survived being ripped open a few months ago. The packs have even been seen hunting in areas closer to down during the day, which normally doesn't happen. The feral hogs have also been really bad over the last couple years. They would be very aggressive. While a .22 would be perfectly fine for killing snakes, the rest of the animal threats would barely notice anything except the pop of one going off.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Honestly, I HATE snakes and if I am going into an area where I know snakes are a possibility I switch my carry gun to a .357 revolver loaded with the snakeshot as the first two up in the cylinder. I am sure I *COULD* hit a snake with a standard defense round, but I don't see a reason to try it. There is shit made specifically for it and think he has a very poor choice of firearms in general, but what he has chosen is a decent choice for someone who is a runner. He would be better off with a lightweight J frame S&W .38 special though.

what a fucking pussy little coward you are. do you want a dress with your snake-gun, you fucking fairy?

does the snake not just run away from the high pitch sound of your screaming?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:We've had to shoot snakes on my mom's land for years. Several types can be aggressive in the area, and the lack of their normal prey drives them into urban areas for small pets. The coyote problem has been getting worse through the drought over the last year. Two of my mom's dogs have been killed, and a third survived being ripped open a few months ago. The packs have even been seen hunting in areas closer to down during the day, which normally doesn't happen. The feral hogs have also been really bad over the last couple years. They would be very aggressive. While a .22 would be perfectly fine for killing snakes, the rest of the animal threats would barely notice anything except the pop of one going off.

The feral hogs are going to be a big problem in a lot of places. Those crazy things can be very aggressive.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The feral hogs are going to be a big problem in a lot of places. Those crazy things can be very aggressive.
Big problem with them locally, TX too from what I've read, they're at the top of the food chain and have no reason to be afraid of anything. For a big pissed off sow you'd need a 12GA with slugs. State park near me has a large area that's unusable in wet weather as it pushes them up out of the bottoms. They do a lot of property damage too.

*Shooting big one at all can be tough, those are durable critters.

Best thing you can do is poison them off (illegal in TX) they're too smart and breed too fast for anything else to work.

For the snakes and coyotes I've heard of lots of folks putting donkeys out with the livestock, supposed to be effective. Starting to see it around here more and more, mainly for the coyotes.
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:It works on copperheads! Seen that one in person and kind of surprising how effective it is at 10 feet from a 6" barrel.
I've played with them, you're better off when they don't come apart and act like a shotshell, more like a frangible round than shot.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Aabidano wrote:Everyone here knows you don't walk your little crap dog next to a lake with gators in it for instance.
I really think you're overestimating the average American. Back at UF, every semester and twice in the summer, some sorority chick would get her rat eaten while walking around Lake Alice, would do a blubbering interview with the campus paper and campus PD, and the talking cop head would be like "Gators gonna gate." They'd remove the gator from there to the big boy pond off campus and post another sign for the vapid twats to ignore.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aabidano wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The feral hogs are going to be a big problem in a lot of places. Those crazy things can be very aggressive.
Big problem with them locally, TX too from what I've read, they're at the top of the food chain and have no reason to be afraid of anything. For a big pissed off sow you'd need a 12GA with slugs. State park near me has a large area that's unusable in wet weather as it pushes them up out of the bottoms. They do a lot of property damage too.

*Shooting big one at all can be tough, those are durable critters.

Best thing you can do is poison them off (illegal in TX) they're too smart and breed too fast for anything else to work.

For the snakes and coyotes I've heard of lots of folks putting donkeys out with the livestock, supposed to be effective. Starting to see it around here more and more, mainly for the coyotes.
She has had donkeys for years now. A coyote won't mess with them, which is kind of funny to think about.

This was from last year...when there was still green on the ground. That is all dirt now. There is usually another baby each year, this one unfortunately died to our catahoula when he thought the baby jumped at one of my nieces.

A State bill was passed allowing feral hog hunting from helicopters with limitations. I have seen video from some of the professionals that do this, and I couldn't imagine putting myself up there. Even if I did, I doubt I would hit much more than dirt.