U.S. Keeps Science Lead and is more Humane than your Country

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

U.S. Keeps Science Lead and is more Humane than your Country

Post by Winnow »

The U.S. remains the world's science and technology leader, but other countries are gaining ground, the National Science Board said Friday in its biennial report on science and engineering.

The U.S. accounted for nearly a third of $1.1 trillion spent on research and development globally in 2007, minted more science and engineering doctorates than any other country, and led the world in innovative activity. Efforts by China and other developing Asian countries to boost their science and engineering capabilities are bearing fruit, however, and the gap between them and the U.S., though still wide, is narrowing.

For the 10 years ending in 2007, the most recent year for which the data were available, spending on research and development grew between 5% and 6% annually in the U.S., Japan and the European Union. Similar spending in India, South Korea and Taiwan grew an average 9% to 10% a year over the same period. In China, it averaged more than 20%.

The U.S. awarded 22,500 doctorates in natural sciences and engineering in 2007, but more than half of them were awarded to foreign nationals. Past experience suggests that rather than return to their native countries, many of those new Ph.D.s will stay in the U.S.

The report noted that 60% of temporary visa holders who earned doctorates in science in engineering in 1997 were working in the U.S. in 2007. The National Science Board is the advisory body of the National Science Foundation, an independent U.S. government agency.

U.S. researchers published about a quarter of an estimated 760,000 research articles in peer-reviewed journals in 2008. Chinese researchers published 8% of the research articles, up from just 1% in 1988.

Despite China's strides, researchers in China accounted for only about 1% of U.S. patents granted in 2008. Inventive activity in China "appears elusive, at least as indicated by patents filed in a major Western market," despite Chinese government efforts, the report noted.

U.S.-based inventors accounted for 49% of patents granted, down from 55% in 1995.
That's right. The United States is still #1 in Science. U.S. still educates and then keeps non US Citizens. U.S. still accounts for half of all inventions.

And lets see...who's giving the most in the Haiti relief? What other countries sent an Aircaft carrier over to help out?
U.S. is flying doctors and food to Haiti in massive earthquake relief effort

Hundreds of American firefighters continue search-and-rescue operations as Washington officials prepare to shift their focus to longer-term aid.
The White House has committed $100 million in U.S. aid.
U.S. officials said that 180 tons of relief supplies had been delivered to the Port-au-Prince airport.
Once again, the U.S. leads in both Science and Humanitarian efforts. No one else even comes close.

STFU haters! We do this despite the huge commitment of troops in Afghanistan, trying to liberate women from severe oppression.
* In 2006, Americans gave $295 billion to charity, up 4.2 percent from the previous year.

* Charitable donations have consistently risen faster than the GDP since World War II.

* Per capita, the people in the United States are perhaps the most generous in the world, as measured by what they give.

* In 1995, Americans gave three-and-a-half times more than the French, seven times more than the Germans, and fourteen times more than the Italians.

* Only a third of Americans itemize deductions on their tax returns. Research consistently shows that almost no one is motivated to give only because of their tax consequences.

* Those who donate to charity are three times as likely to give money informally to friends, and even strangers. And they are twice as likely to donate blood.
Shut...the...fuck...up you whiny non Americans and start contributing!
According to the Hudson Institute, individual Americans, through private charities, gave $242 billion in 2004.

Stossel cited the tsunami tragedy that struck Indonesia a few years ago. Whereas the U.S. government gave $900 million to relief efforts, individual Americans gave $2 billion in food, clothing and cash.

The fact is, when you combine government and private giving, America is the most generous country on Earth
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: U.S. Keeps Science Lead and is more Humane than your Country

Post by Gzette »

the Haiti fund raising is interesting. interesting in that mobile phone bills have somewhat evolved into a line of credit. hmmm
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

USA! USA!! USA!! USA!!

Oh... yeah hai..

Canada sending another 1,000 troops to Haiti
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/haiti/20 ... 6-qmi.html

Canada Expedites Haitian Immigration After Quake
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... ate1-.html

Seriously though, everyone is doing what they can to help Haitians out. Be it money, food, troups or otherwise. This isn't a popularity contest.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Seriously though, everyone is doing what they can to help Haitians out. Be it money, food, troups or otherwise. This isn't a popularity contest.
It's not a popularity contest, but the USA usually gets disrespected. Sure, we're world police and would nuke you if it was needed, but we also behave like a leader should a lot of the time.

People talk shit about the USA like they would about their boss, so I don't mind. The real enemy (insert segue) is religion and irrationality, anyway. In the end, the Middle East wasn't going to just sit around with all that money and so many infidels. Jesus came through on that one. I want to live to see rationality rule, but hell, we have senators who don't believe in evolution.

As Rammstein put it,

We're all living in Amerika,
Amerika is wunderbar.
Amerika, Amerika.
Coca-Cola, sometimes war,
Amerika, Amerika.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Leonaerd wrote:
It's not a popularity contest, but the USA usually gets disrespected. Sure, we're world police and would nuke you if it was needed, but we also behave like a leader should a lot of the time.

People talk shit about the USA like they would about their boss, so I don't mind. The real enemy (insert segue) is religion and irrationality, anyway. In the end, the Middle East wasn't going to just sit around with all that money and so many infidels. Jesus came through on that one. I want to live to see rationality rule, but hell, we have senators who don't believe in evolution.

As Rammstein put it,

Amerika is wunderbar.
Amerika, Amerika.
Coca-Cola, sometimes war,
Amerika, Amerika.

Even though I like Rammstein a lot, I pretty much lost all respect for them when they made this song.

And as far as the topic goes, its not a pissing contest, its people's lives..

This thread actually irritated me...
Timmah.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Soreali wrote: And as far as the topic goes, its not a pissing contest, its people's lives..

This thread actually irritated me...

Giving is what America is all about but Euros and others tend to forget that. The Americans making donations aren't looking for publicity (except maybe the celebrities). It just sickens me to see Euros and others constantly bash the United States when we beat the shit out of them in just about every area except the number of hairy female armpits per capita.

I realize Obama sucks but taken as a whole, the United States still leads the way. If we want to exploit a third world county, by god, we've earned the right to do so.

Happy MLK day from the racial melting pot of the world.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Your internet message board crusades on the behalf of the United States are very telling of the kind of reactionary patriotism that praises America every time a Republican manages to not fuck a prostitute and demonizes a Democrat for getting his balls licked, or vice versa depending upon your political spectrum.

We get it, America does its part. America also fucks shit up. So does Britain, so does Ireland (hi Nick), etc. and fucking etc. Be reasonable and realize that while America isn't the biggest pile of ass in the world, it's also not the idealistic and infallable (EXCEPT WHEN A DEMOCRAT / REPUBLICAN IS IN OFFICE - again depending on your perspective) nation that you seem so eager to believe it is when you throw around absolutely mediocre "accomplishments" and use them as "proof" that America has somehow superseded anything other than falling further behind the number of nations currently out-performing it on a global scale.

You are either the biggest troll I've ever seen, or the biggest xenophobic squirt of piss. I can't decide which.

Keep doing product reviews though. That's the only time your opinion is remotely relevant.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Also I'd like to point out that Winnow mentions how we don't need to point out how awesome we (the U.S.) are at giving, in a post solely dedicated to how awesome we (the U.S.) are at giving. He really puts the IRON in ironic.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

Yeah? Well we invented the missionary position... You're welcome.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Yeah, being proud of your country is disgusting.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Bojangels wrote:Yeah? Well we invented the missionary position... You're welcome.
What country invented the 2 girl blowjob? That is where I want to move.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Bagar- wrote: You are either the biggest troll I've ever seen, or the biggest xenophobic squirt of piss. I can't decide which.
Bit o' both. Bit o' both.
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Yeah, being proud of your country is disgusting.
Only when you're proud just because it's your country. Political debate took a real hit in the western world when "it's unpatriotic to be critical!" became a valid argument. Blind patriotism, like blind faith, blind atheism or blind partisanship, is useless and harmful.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

What exactly is blind atheism? By default, we're all atheists. And btw, doubt is not harmful, but natural.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

No, it's more idiotic than disgusting. It's like being proud of your kid's achievements, only far more ridiculous.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Zaelath wrote:
No, it's more idiotic than disgusting. It's like being proud of your kid's achievements, only far more ridiculous.
Why is being proud of your kid accomplishing something great an idiotic thing? Not sure I get the analogy. Then again I am a dad, so if it is idiotic, oh well.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Tyek wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
Why is being proud of your kid accomplishing something great an idiotic thing? Not sure I get the analogy. Then again I am a dad, so if it is idiotic, oh well.
Because they're your kid's achievements, not yours. Personally I think people should love and respect their children for achieving, but pride is a misplaced emotion.

The difficulty is in the defintion of pride: "feeling self-respect or pleasure in something by which you measure your self-worth"

So, being proud of your own achievements has something to do with "self", you are not your children, or your country, or your sporting team (perhaps that's a better analogy)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Pride also means: something that causes a person or persons to be proud: His art collection was the pride of the family.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That picture reminds me... Is anyone besides me annoyed with the Navy's latest slogan, "America's Navy - a global force for good!" I cringe every time I hear that bullshit.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Zaelath wrote:Because they're your kid's achievements, not yours. Personally I think people should love and respect their children for achieving, but pride is a misplaced emotion.

The difficulty is in the defintion of pride: "feeling self-respect or pleasure in something by which you measure your self-worth"

So, being proud of your own achievements has something to do with "self", you are not your children, or your country, or your sporting team (perhaps that's a better analogy)
New father speaking, so I'm probably biased...

I think that kind of depends, a parent is sometimes teaching their child how to achieve certain things, so the child might not have even been able to achieve whatever it was without the parent's help. Obviously this isn't always the case, but I think it certainly plays a role in many things children end up accomplishing. So I think if pride is defined as what you have in quotes, I think I should feel proud when I eventually teach my son how to do many things like walk, talk, farm gold in WoW etc because without me, he might not have learned some of these things.

I like the sporting team analogy better. Sometimes I use us/we when I talk about the Eagles with friends, but I sure as hell don't think I had anything to do with their success or failures.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:
Tyek wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
Because they're your kid's achievements, not yours. Personally I think people should love and respect their children for achieving, but pride is a misplaced emotion.

And not all of us are a crabby, opinionated old prick who is clearly more than a bit detached from society. At least you don't seem to have deluded yourself to think you are anything but the minority.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:
And not all of us are a crabby, opinionated old prick who is clearly more than a bit detached from society. At least you don't seem to have deluded yourself to think you are anything but the minority.
The only difference between us there is you're a bit younger, and a lot less intelligent.

In fact that makes me more average in age, and you more average in intelligence.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Psyloche wrote: I like the sporting team analogy better. Sometimes I use us/we when I talk about the Eagles with friends, but I sure as hell don't think I had anything to do with their success or failures.
Yes, there are cases where parents possibly have some justificable pride, and I agree the sports analogy is a much closer fit for the amount of input someone like Winnow has into the output of an entire country.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Zaelath wrote:
Psyloche wrote: I like the sporting team analogy better. Sometimes I use us/we when I talk about the Eagles with friends, but I sure as hell don't think I had anything to do with their success or failures.
Yes, there are cases where parents possibly have some justificable pride, and I agree the sports analogy is a much closer fit for the amount of input someone like Winnow has into the output of an entire country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

hehehe, nice
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

hahaha, that's brilliant!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Reminds me we could use another new season of Peep Show!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I loved the clip. Its a classic example of how a band-wagoning idiot should be handled.

One (admittedly minor) aspect that has been ignored in all this is morale/momentum, especially from a sports perspective. 60K people or so in a stadium cheering on a team can have a large impact on their performance. It doesn't always manifest and its not always positive but the fans in attendance can buoy a team. Letters from people back home can lift the spirits of people like soldiers deployed in foreign lands and enable them to find the will to carry on.

I also think that parents have more to do the success of some children than is being voiced here. Good parents can help instill things like self-confidence and a good work ethic, which are crucial in many successful people. You're born with talent, but you're taught how to utilize it, and the first and most important teachers many of us have are our parents.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Tyek wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
Well I am proud to report that my daughters team just won their district title in soccer. They are now the champs of 2 large counties. This is their second title in a row and they have won the last two tourneys without a single loss and outscoring their opponents 23-2. Since I am a coach on the team I guess I can be happy for them. :D
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon