miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

More Fox 'news' douchebaggery

Post by miir »

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/03 ... cking.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-welsh ... 77834.html

I didn't even know that they (Canada) were in the war," Benson said, adding he thought Canada was where someone went to avoid fighting
the Canadian military wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white Capri pants.'
Isn't this the perfect time to invade this ridiculous country?

If I didn't know that these guys were just doing it for ratings, I might actually be offended.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: More Fox 'news' douchebaggery

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol:

Oh come on miir, a little canadia bashing never hurt anyone ;)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

When they are mocking and bashing soldiers who have been killed in action, it's pretty damn disrespectful and hurtful to their families.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

OTTAWA — The Canadian government has demanded an apology from Fox News for “despicable” and “disgusting” comments made on one of its late-night programs.

The government was incensed by a recent talk-show segment on the American conservative cable network that poked fun at Canada and the Canadian military.

A group of pundits took turns trashing Canada and its reliability as an ally in fighting terrorism last week as four more Canadian soldiers were killed in separate attacks in Afghanistan.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay requested an apology just before leaving for Canadian Forces Base Trenton, where he was to attend a repatriation ceremony with the families of the latest soldiers killed.

“It's crass, it's insensitive, it's in fact disgusting, given the timing,” Mr. MacKay told CTV News.

“There should be an apology — to the families in particular, and to the Canadian Forces and to Canada generally — given the sacrifice and the commitment that we've demonstrated in Afghanistan.”

Canadian soldiers have been fighting in Afghanistan since 2001 and have spent the last four years in the country's most violent region.

Canada has lost 116 soldiers in Afghanistan.

A spokesman stressed that the Canadian government specifically wants an apology from the panelists who made the wisecracks — and not just from the Fox network at large.

“These are despicable, hurtful and ignorant comments,” said Dan Dugas, a spokesman for Mr. MacKay.

“I think that so-called comedian should stare in the camera at his first opportunity and apologize to all of the families of people he's hurt with these despicable comments.

“And he's got to say, 'I was misinformed. I was ignorant of the truth and the contribution of the Canadian Forces to the war on terror, and I want to take it back. I know as a comedian that I can fail sometimes; I failed miserably at this so-called comedy.'

“And his panelists should say the same.”

Canada says it will withdraw most of its 2,500 troops from Kandahar when its current combat mission expires in 2011.

News of that impending withdrawal, and the army chief's comments that the military would need a year's hiatus to regroup and refurbish, served as a launching pad for members of the Fox panel to mock Canada.

The five-minute Fox News segment aired last week on the late-night program Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld and it was later posted on YouTube. The segment features American panelists suggesting Canadian soldiers need time off for “manicures and pedicures.”

The item aired after Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, the Canadian Forces Chief of Land Staff, said the military would need a one-year break from operations after the difficult mission in Afghanistan winds down.

“The Canadian military wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white capri pants,” Mr. Gutfeld said with a sneer, adding: “Isn't this the perfect time to invade this ridiculous country? They have no army.”

Another panelist, Doug Benson, said he didn't even know Canadian troops were in Afghanistan.

“I didn't even know they were in the war. I thought that's where you go if you don't want to fight — you go chill in Canada,” he said.

So far, more than 3,000 people have posted responses to the clip, which also makes fun of RCMP officers and their traditional red uniforms.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:When they are mocking and bashing soldiers who have been killed in action, it's pretty damn disrespectful and hurtful to their families.
I totally agree, I just saw a Canadia bashing opportunity and couldn't resist the urge.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I’ll be honest I was just trying to figure out which one of those guys was Winnow when I watched the clip. (For those who are bored and want to waste 4-5 minutes its at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk ). I thought he was the skinny, annoying twerp that the blonde was protecting from the stoned guy.

This was satire? Sorry but its weak at best. Mocking a country willing to bear some of the load (when most others aren't) with a collection of childish insults (mocking the colour of the RCMP's dress uniform?) and stereotypical ignorance? Maybe I'm just used to better quality from Colbert and Stewart... and the timing (with 4 guys getting killed Friday) was bad (which demonstrates a risk in attempting to "satirize" a country's military).

Now in terms of Defense Minister Peter MacKay wanting an apology from Fox, I think he (as well as many in the media) is over-reacting. This whole situation helps those morons by giving them publicity instead of scorning their insignificant nonsense and ignorance, as it deserves.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I never mock soldiers or veterans. Canadians have proven themselves in combat.

Their government may be going down the shitter and there are plenty of articles showing the sad state of the Canadian Military but the people themselves have always performed well.

I still think the Newfs, with all of their oil money, should break away from Canada to form their own country until a French final solution is worked out for the country.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fuck Fox News.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The mindset of Americans is skewed on this one. We should be pissed that our military is "awesome" compared to Canada's. Think of how much money we spend on defense / offense / murder, and how little we get out of it. And yet... fox news....

It's a matter of dollars and diplomacy. We could function just as well if we focused on actual border defense, and little else.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Leonaerd wrote:The mindset of Americans is skewed on this one. We should be pissed that our military is "awesome" compared to Canada's. Think of how much money we spend on defense / offense / murder, and how little we get out of it. And yet... fox news....

It's a matter of dollars and diplomacy. We could function just as well if we focused on actual border defense, and little else.
Well some of it is a cultural thing too. I was looking at some numbers of men and women in uniform compared to population and while the US has 3 times as many armed forces personnel compared to Canada (editorial note that is per capita not absolute), they're on par with countries like the UK.

Frankly when you look at the origins of the US, you guys had a revolution to form your country, as opposed to Canada's evolved political seperation. You also fought the Spanish/Mexico for some of your territories and had a very bloody civil war. A military strong enough to deter foreign agression and protect US interests within and without has always been important to your national identity. Canada's history isn't as peaceful as a lot of Canadians like to believe but most of the conflicts were shorter duration and/or done as "their duty" to the British Empire (in conflicts like the Boer War in South Africa). Couple that with the results of last century's lessons from the World Wars:
In WWII Canada had 1.1 million men serving and lost 45,364. The total population of the country in 1945 was 12,072,000. Canada thus had a per capita loss rate of .376%. America's death rate in WWII was .21%.

In WWI Canada had 64,944 military casualties in a total population of 7.2 million. The per capita death rate was thus a wopping 0.9%. The US lost 53,402, in absolute numbers less, and the casualty rate was .054%.

In WWI the US entered the war on April 6th, 1917. Canada had been at war since August 14th, 1914. (Granted, Canada had no choice in the matter as it had to go to war when Britain did, but it didn't have to send as many men as it did. Granted, also, that there's a strong argument that the US should not have entered WWI, which was not a war about any great principles or against any great evil, despite the propaganda at the time.)
The above is from Ian Welsh's blog that Miir linked. I don't agree with everything he said in the blog (including the statement that Canada had no choice in entering WWI: there were treaty obligations but they still had to be ratified by our parliament) but the numbers are there. He doesn't mention that Canada entered WW2 26 months earlier than the US as well (declaring war shortly after the invasion of Poland in September of 1939) but the end conclusion is valid in that Canada bled hard in the World Wars (especially WW1) and that fact has shaped the nation's foreign policy after WW2, to try and avoid repetition.

Conversely, while Canada started to disarm after WW2, the US became the world's primary defender from the export of Bolshevism from the USSR to various points around the globe and never really came down from that war/near-war footing in some ways. We can argue about necessity of stopping Communist imperialism and the wisdom of intervening in places like Cuba, Vietnam or other places, but in the end its what happened. And there is no arguing about the willingness of the USSR to expand their borders whenever and however possible: Eastern Europe can bear testimony to that, from places like Poland and the Baltic States that were occupied during the war, or Czechoslovakia (now the Czech Republic and Slovakia) that were occupied much later. The US acted as the counterweight to the Soviets for many years, and for all we like to decry some of the interventions on behalf of gov'ts that were notably corrupt (like the South Vietnamese or propping up Pinochet in Chile), the US led the way in countering the communist plan for a world wide revolution of the proletariat (presumably governed from their Utopian headquarters in the USSR).

Now is it "fair" that the US has had to bear so much of the burden? Probably not but they haven't been alone in it: they've just been the biggest part. Can the US step away from this role? Probably not until someone else is willing to take up the mantle and that requires a population base and the resources to sustain a military that few other nations have, even in cooperation with their neighbours/allies.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

we've had a lot of fighting in our formative history but the source of our modern attitude of militarism (in terms of perpetually maintaining a large, well equipped, well trained standing armed force) is WW2 and, mostly, the aftermath (long-term competition with USSR, as you mentioned) - US armed forces were relatively meager before the war.. in number, experience, and equipment. we were in absolutely no shape to fight a war when we entered WW2, as proven early in Africa - and the public remembered that.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Spang wrote:Fuck Fox News.
Ditto!