Phelps suspended for Marijuana use...

What do you think about the world?
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Phelps suspended for Marijuana use...

Post by Keverian FireCry »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... nded_N.htm

This is exactly why Marijuana should be legal. The man won more Olympic medals than any other person in history...he smokes a joint and we treat him like he's a terrible influence on our kids? How about we decriminalize marijuana and tell our kids that if they work hard and complete their goals then perhaps they can make their own decisions regarding marijuana or alcohol use...

No one would blink an eye if the guy was drunk in a photo, yet people make huge deal because he was seen smoking some pot?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Phelps suspended for Marijuana use...

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winners don't use drugs.

Oh wait, nm.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Totally ridiculous. I realize he's a 'role model' and all that but sheesh. I think they are going overboard on the guy.

BTW: Boycott Kellogg Co. Their cereals suck anyway! And Cheez-Its.. WTF. I never understood the appeal of those. They are nasty tasting! Although perhaps stoners like them I don't know... Sounds like they could end up disgruntling their own customers!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

OMG, a 23 or whatever year old guy at a college party smoking pot???? wow!!1

Of course, there would be someone there to cash in with a timely camera picture...

Retarded all around, and a non-issue if there were not a 1930s stigma still floating around....

Hell, with what he accomplished, he should get a hall pass for snorting blow off of at the very least 6 sorority whore titties.
en kærlighed småkager
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

I'm swinging on the fence on this one.. He smoked pot, which at this time is still against the law. Therefore he should be punished for his actions. He was man enough to step up and take blame for his behavior so I can respect him for that. The Kellogg thing is kind of silly but understandable(probably just a cop out due to the economy). Personally I think they blew this thing way the hell out of proportion. He's 23.. he made a mistake.. let him deal with it and move on.
Timmah.

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Where was he when he smoked it? If he was in certain countries, then it was perfectly legal. I am not even going to pretend I am upset or indignant that he had the audacity to hit a bong. He did not lie about it under oath, he did not kill anyone under its influence, and quite frankly you cannot even prove what was in there that he was smoking. It is such a complete non-story and I do not see why such a big deal is being raised over an athelete partying. There have been tons of them with pot....and unless it is a habitual thing, you slap them on the wrist and go about your day. It should be legalized anyway.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Where was he when he smoked it? If he was in certain countries, then it was perfectly legal. I am not even going to pretend I am upset or indignant that he had the audacity to hit a bong. He did not lie about it under oath, he did not kill anyone under its influence, and quite frankly you cannot even prove what was in there that he was smoking. It is such a complete non-story and I do not see why such a big deal is being raised over an athelete partying. There have been tons of them with pot....and unless it is a habitual thing, you slap them on the wrist and go about your day. It should be legalized anyway.

Pretty much where i was trying to go with that one.. brains in three different places right now so it didnt sound right..

This should have been a one time espn headline and be done with it.. he said he's sorry, he said he fucked up.. so be it.. they turned it into an f'ing witch hunt because theres nothing else interesting going on in sports right now..
Timmah.

Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

He smoked pot, which at this time is still against the law.
Actually, it isn't. Only possession or sale is against the law. This is why the article about how the South Carolina police were considering charges was so ridiculous. They have a picture of him smoking from a "tobacco water pipe," and are unable to prove he is actually smoking pot, let alone he was in possession of it. Sure, you might be able to launch a gigantic investigation that would be able to prove without a reasonable doubt that he smoked pot, but it would be completely asinine for any law enforcement agency to launch such an investigation.
Therefore he should be punished for his actions. He was man enough to step up and take blame for his behavior so I can respect him for that.
Do you mean punished legally, or punished in the way he got suspended / lost a sponsor? If you mean legal punishment, do you feel this way about any law anyone breaks?
. The Kellogg thing is kind of silly but understandable(probably just a cop out due to the economy).
His contract was up next month, when Kellogg's has a history of dropping Olympic stars, since no one really cares about swimming for another 3 years, so it is really a non-issue. If he does compete in the 2012 Olympics, no one will remember this (and I hope he does, but apparently after this fiasco he is considering not doing it)
Personally I think they blew this thing way the hell out of proportion. He's 23.. he made a mistake.. let him deal with it and move on.
I agree, it is way out proportion. If the media (with the exception of Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon) ever brought up his DUI arrest, and the fact that he pretty much said the same thing in that apology, I could see there being more of an outrage. However, I have only seen that mentioned on PTI, and I watch a ridiculous amount of Sportscenter, as well as reading various sports sites. What really sucks is that not only are they not mentioning his previous mistake involving substances, but he is taking a ton more heat for smoking pot at a party (harmless in regards to his action leading to harm to others) than he did when he got a DUI.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aardor wrote:
The Kellogg thing is kind of silly but understandable(probably just a cop out due to the economy).
His contract was up next month, when Kellogg's has a history of dropping Olympic stars, since no one really cares about swimming for another 3 years, so it is really a non-issue.
I don't agree. The contract was specifically not renewed due to this reason. Therefore it's not exactly a non-issue. Perhaps if they had just let it expire with no comment then yeah. But they didn't:
Also Thursday, Kellogg Co. became the first sponsor to drop Phelps, saying it will not renew his contract when it expires at the end of this month.

"Michael's most recent behavior is not consistent with the image of Kellogg," the company's statement said.

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Legalize it!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Aslanna wrote:
Aardor wrote:
The Kellogg thing is kind of silly but understandable(probably just a cop out due to the economy).
His contract was up next month, when Kellogg's has a history of dropping Olympic stars, since no one really cares about swimming for another 3 years, so it is really a non-issue.
I don't agree. The contract was specifically not renewed due to this reason. Therefore it's not exactly a non-issue. Perhaps if they had just let it expire with no comment then yeah. But they didn't:
Also Thursday, Kellogg Co. became the first sponsor to drop Phelps, saying it will not renew his contract when it expires at the end of this month.

"Michael's most recent behavior is not consistent with the image of Kellogg," the company's statement said.
I meant, that they would have dropped him at the end of this month either way.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Yeah I agree you Aardor. It'd be a complete an utter waste of time and would turn into the Duke Lacross team all over again if they really went after him for it. As far as being punished, I meant get suspended. They would do it with any other athlete (for the most part) so he should be no different. The reason I think he's getting much more heat on this than his DUI is obviously for his status now after winning 8 golds at the olympics. I'm glad that team USA is taking a harsh approach on it because hopefully he'll learn from it at least to the point where if he's going to do something that would probably be questionable to the public, he should do a better job of hiding it (example: dont smoke pot at a crowded party where ppl know who you are). And honestly, eventhough I dont smoke it, I really dont care if someone else does. If they're in an environment where no one gets hurt, seriously who cares..
Timmah.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I still don't agree. I think they intended to renew it. If they were just going to drop him anyway why bother to make a statement about it?

--
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Aslanna wrote:I still don't agree. I think they intended to renew it. If they were just going to drop him anyway why bother to make a statement about it?
Because his public image is taking a hit, and they save some face by saying they have discontinued his sponsorship?

Edits:

As far as them renewing it or canceling it at the end of the month either way: I was going off what an article said about the issue: How most Olympic athletes lose the sponsorship around this time because the Olympics are out of the public's eye, and they can get another figurehead. We will never know if they were going to cancel it regardless of him smoking.
Last edited by Aardor on February 6, 2009, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not buying that. But oh well. Moving on.

--
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Fair wrote:Winners don't use drugs.

Oh wait, nm.
This.

Amazing how we learn the wrong lessons over and over again.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Aslanna wrote:Not buying that. But oh well. Moving on.
I don't get what you're not buying.

Michael Phelps signed a contract with Kellogg's on 08/20/2008 that went till 03/01/2009 for exclusive rights to use his image on their cereal box. Placing Olympic stars on cereal boxes has a long history with both Kellogg's and Wheaties, and their exists a long history of both of the companies not renewing their contracts with the Olympic Athlete after they end (this exact situation happened with Michael Phelps and Wheaties, after his first Olympic trip, where he got 6 medals). From an advertising stand point, this make sense since Michael Phelps would normally not be in the public eye at this time, and they could pick up another athlete instead.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not buying that this incident wasn't the resaon they are not renewing his contract. And their statement tips that in the favor of my opinion over yours. So there!

But seriously.. It just a difference of opinions. Let it go and move on. I have!

--
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Aslanna wrote:I'm not buying that this incident wasn't the resaon they are not renewing his contract. And their statement tips that in the favor of my opinion over yours. So there!

But seriously.. It just a difference of opinions. Let it go and move on. I have!
Given their past history, do you think Kellogg's would have renewed his contract at the end of the month if this incident did not occur?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

He would not have been renewed unless he had sparklers lit in his ass while saving babies from burning buildings. They would have been signing some other big shining star from a sport that is relevant and dominating during the 6 month period from March-August. Probably a baseball player from the World Classic would be my guess.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Aardor wrote:
Actually, it isn't. Only possession or sale is against the law. This is why the article about how the South Carolina police were considering charges was so ridiculous. They have a picture of him smoking from a "tobacco water pipe," and are unable to prove he is actually smoking pot, let alone he was in possession of it. Sure, you might be able to launch a gigantic investigation that would be able to prove without a reasonable doubt that he smoked pot, but it would be completely asinine for any law enforcement agency to launch such an investigation.
Maybe someone has seen something I haven't, and if so correct me...but I have only seen one picture, which doesn't show him smoking anything. He's holding a bong to his mouth, and has a lighter in his hand. But nothing is lit, and there is no smoke. You can't see the bowl. So the only thing you can prosectute from that picture is posession of a bong. I have no idea what the laws are in SC, but I kind of doubt that's illegal.

This is a massive PR overreaction on what is a non issue (imo).

(I don't care if he smoked or not, my point is that based on that one picture...this is ridiculous)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I think that he actually admitted that he smoked it, but I could be remembering wrong.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Truant wrote:
Aardor wrote:
Maybe someone has seen something I haven't, and if so correct me...but I have only seen one picture, which doesn't show him smoking anything. He's holding a bong to his mouth, and has a lighter in his hand. But nothing is lit, and there is no smoke. You can't see the bowl. So the only thing you can prosectute from that picture is posession of a bong. I have no idea what the laws are in SC, but I kind of doubt that's illegal.

This is a massive PR overreaction on what is a non issue (imo).

(I don't care if he smoked or not, my point is that based on that one picture...this is ridiculous)
Yes, you said what I was trying to say in a better manner. Also, i'm pretty sure they couldn't not prosecute him for possession of paraphernalia, with just that photo (it's a tobacco water pipe, man!)
Boogahz wrote:I think that he actually admitted that he smoked it, but I could be remembering wrong.
Well, he's said more to the media lately, but initially he said "he regretted his actions" but never said what actions he regretted (good work lawyers/PR people!). So probably not.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

http://tbm.thebigmoney.com/blogs/daily- ... ing-phelps

Good work, Kellogg's

Oh, also, Kellogg's did not renew it's contract with U.S. Olympic team, which expires at the end of this month. Glad their ploy to seem strong on the anti-marijuana stance is backfiring in their faces. That is, unless you are of the Aslanna school of thought.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aardor wrote:http://tbm.thebigmoney.com/blogs/daily- ... ing-phelps

Good work, Kellogg's

Oh, also, Kellogg's did not renew it's contract with U.S. Olympic team, which expires at the end of this month. Glad their ploy to seem strong on the anti-marijuana stance is backfiring in their faces. That is, unless you are of the Aslanna school of thought.
You mean that school of thought that involves logic and sound reasoning? Got it.

Listen.. If they were just going to drop him anyway they shouldn't have made any sort of statement on this. Since they did one has to infer that his contract not being renewed was a direct result of his actions (percieved or actual). I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that but apparently you're unable to move on so whatever.

Boycott Kelloggs!

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

wait...aslanna was wrong about something? I am not prone to scientific study, but I am pretty sure he/she is to current events as winnow is to sports.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

How am I wrong about anything? Unless you have absolute proof they weren't going to renew the contract I'm just as wrong as Aardor since both sides are speculation. Yeah I know logic and reason comes hard for you too. It usually does for conservative gun nuts. Grats on looking like a fool though!

--
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

If they were just going to drop him anyway they shouldn't have made any sort of statement on this.
Shouldn't, not wouldn't, you are correct. But I don't really hold large companies to any sort of moral standards. It is pretty clear they were going to drop him at the end of this month regardless of whether this story existed or not, given their past actions with other Olympic athletes, and the fact that they dropped the entire US team, which had nothing to do with Michael Phelps specifically.
Since they did one has to infer that his contract not being renewed was a direct result of his actions (percieved or actual).
Yes, their press release said they were not renewing his contract because of his actions. What the argument we're making here, is that they were going to drop him anyway, so he did not actually lose a sponsor, and that Kellogg's chose to announce this (instead of just quietly not renewing the contracts, like this did with the rest of the US Olympic team), because they felt it would be better for their public image. Hopefully that backfires on them, and these articles about it doing so are not just sensationalism.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I say let him burn. He knew the consequences of his actions. He's an adult. He shouldn't get a free pass because he is famous.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

He's not getting a free pass. Thousands of American adults smoke marijuana away from the presence of police every day. Hundreds (probably thousands) of them are photographed doing so every day. Some of those photos are posted on the internet. None of them provoke national outrage, and none of them are arrested for what they've done. He's being treated more harshly than anyone else, not less.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

If those thousands of Americans are public figures and sponsered by someone I would hope that they all lost their sponsership too.
My free pass comment was more geared towards the board and the popular opinon that he should get a free pass.
It isn't unheard of that if you do something that makes your company or sponser look bad you will either get fired or suspended. He did just that. Personally I think I'd be upset of Kellogs didn't drop him. I don't want my children looking up to this person as a role model. I don't want them thinking that it's alright to smoke anything much less pot.
He gave the same statement about learning from his mistakes when he got his DWI. Winning his medals was an awesome achievement. What he is doing out of the pool isn't. Is he just like any other person his age? Unfortunately.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Legalize it!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Bubba Grizz wrote: It isn't unheard of that if you do something that makes your company or sponser look bad you will either get fired or suspended. He did just that. Personally I think I'd be upset of Kellogs didn't drop him.
Oh, but you're going to let them keep eating them, even though they are not pulling the boxes from the stores, but instead letting them run, just like they would have when they canceled his contract without reason at the end of the month?

Are you upset that Visa, Powerbar, Speedo, and Omega did not drop him, and actually showed support for him? Going to boycott their products, since buying/using them would show your kids that it's alright to smoke pot?
I don't want my children looking up to this person as a role model. I don't want them thinking that it's alright to smoke anything much less pot.
Guess your kids will never participate in any sort of organized swimming. I don't know, I would think that the greatest Olympic athlete who made mistakes and did not offer excuses for those mistakes would be someone you would want your children to look up to. But hey, you better make sure you don't use your Visa card next time you're out with the kids, don't want to give them the wrong idea.

I would much rather have my kids looking up to someone who has made 2 mistakes in his life (this one being much more minor than the DUI), than the athletes who do performance enhancing drugs.

Edit: Forgot about Subway. Better not eat there ever again.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Aardor wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote: It isn't unheard of that if you do something that makes your company or sponser look bad you will either get fired or suspended. He did just that. Personally I think I'd be upset of Kellogs didn't drop him.
Oh, but you're going to let them keep eating them, even though they are not pulling the boxes from the stores, but instead letting them run, just like they would have when they canceled his contract without reason at the end of the month?

Are you upset that Visa, Powerbar, Speedo, and Omega did not drop him, and actually showed support for him? Going to boycott their products, since buying/using them would show your kids that it's alright to smoke pot?
I don't want my children looking up to this person as a role model. I don't want them thinking that it's alright to smoke anything much less pot.
Guess your kids will never participate in any sort of organized swimming. I don't know, I would think that the greatest Olympic athlete who made mistakes and did not offer excuses for those mistakes would be someone you would want your children to look up to. But hey, you better make sure you don't use your Visa card next time you're out with the kids, don't want to give them the wrong idea.

I would much rather have my kids looking up to someone who has made 2 mistakes in his life (this one being much more minor than the DUI), than the athletes who do performance enhancing drugs.

Edit: Forgot about Subway. Better not eat there ever again.
Well first off we like general mills more than kellogs but yeah if we did eat frosted flakes I'd let them keep eating them. I'm not an extremist. I can be upset without being stupid.
I have a master card.
Don't eat power bars.
The world should thank me that I don't wear a speedo.
Dunno what Omega is.

If my kids want to swim that is up to them. I'd support them. Like I said, I can be upset without being stupid. Taking things to the extreme is pretty stupid. I hope that by the time my kids get old enough to join sports and become atheletes (if that is their choice) that we would have done a good enough job raising them so that they aren't interested in drinking and driving or smoking anything. That is how I would like things to turn out. They may or may not. Social influences can bring on mistakes. Just as Phelps had his mistakes. Odds are that my kids are not going to be olympians nor spokespeople representing a huge company. If they happen to make it there and make the same mistakes phelps did then they deserve what happens to them. I'm not going to cry and make excuses and demand that they legalize a drug. I'll just admit that I failed to bring my kids up right and hope that we can fix things.

If you want to idolize this guy more power to you. He's accomplished great things. Maybe he can get new sponsorships like Zig Zag or something.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Like I said, I can be upset without being stupid.
Too late.

When are you people going to stop calling it a 'mistake?' You know damn well the only thing that was a mistake was having that picture paraded around the world.

Legalize it!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Pot smoking is a crime because the government can't make money off of it. The DUI he had IS an issue. This is just bullshit.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Jice Virago wrote:Pot smoking is a crime because the government isn't smart enough to make money off of it. The DUI he had IS an issue. This is just bullshit.
Fixed.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Sueven wrote:None of them provoke national outrage, and none of them are arrested for what they've done. He's being treated more harshly than anyone else, not less.
Rightly so. He's enjoying the fame and rewards of being a 'national hero' so to speak because he does the doggie paddle well. Anyone of his status stupid enough to not know that everything they do is going to be watched nearly around the clock deserves to get spanked. He's "the guy" that people like to parade around to show how great American can be, and now they're finding out he's a stoner. Not exactly the image they want, and not exactly the image I'd want my kids to see of the guy in the poster on their wall.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

One vague picture and he's a "stoner"? If 'stoners' can achieve that level of athletic achievement I guess they really do need to legalize it. That shit is awesome!

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

The only way that picture could have been any less vague is if there was pubic hair and testicles at the base.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

This thread should really be in the Sports forum.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Nah this is a current event as well. I heard that the guy who owned the bong tried selling it on ebay for 100k. He got arrested and ratted out 8 others who were at the party and they got arrested too.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Nah this is a current event as well. I heard that the guy who owned the bong tried selling it on ebay for 100k. He got arrested and ratted out 8 others who were at the party and they got arrested too.
Right now they are arresting anyone who was at the party. Upon arrest, they ask them zero questions about the crime they were arrested for. They are grilled for any info about that party Phelps was at.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Found random pot thread!

Obama on pot:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... more-45366
March 26, 2009
Obama: Marijuana is not a good strategy to spur economy
Posted: 04:12 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) — In a statement that's sure to disappoint many of those who submitted questions to President Obama's virtual town hall meeting, the president made clear Thursday he does not support legalizing marijuana as a means to spur economic growth.

"I have to say that there was one question that was voted on that ranked fairly high, and that was whether legalizing marijuana would improve the economy and job creation," Obama said off-handedly at the town hall. "I don't know what that says about the online audience."

"The answer is no, I do not think that is a good strategy to grow our economy," Obama said to laughter from the town hall participants.

Some of the most popular questions submitted to WhiteHouse.gov in several policy areas were pot-related. Among the top questions was one sent in by a user named "Green Machine":

"Will you consider decriminalizing the recreational/medical use of marijuana(hemp) so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and a multi-billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?"

Attorney General Eric Holder said last week federal agents will seek criminal charges against marijuana users only when both state and U.S. laws are violated, a shift from the Bush administration's policy. The decision would effectively end raids on registered medical marijuana providers in the handful of states that have moved to legalize the drug's use for medicinal purposes.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Attorney General Eric Holder said last week federal agents will seek criminal charges against marijuana users only when both state and U.S. laws are violated, a shift from the Bush administration's policy. The decision would effectively end raids on registered medical marijuana providers in the handful of states that have moved to legalize the drug's use for medicinal purposes.

About fucking time.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Funkmasterr wrote:About fucking time.
Indeed.

There are several federal cases pending against owners and employees of legal medical marijuana operations in various MM states. Some are still awaiting trial while others have been convicted and are awaiting sentencing. I wonder what, if any, impact this new stance by DoJ will have on these pending cases.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Smoking pot is bad:
Michael Phelps breaks world record in 100 butterfly at US nationals

By Associated Press
3:35 PM PDT, July 9, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Michael Phelps has broken the world record in the 100-meter butterfly at the U.S. national championships.

The 14-time Olympic gold medalist swam the two-lap final in 50.22 seconds at the Indiana University Natatorium on Thursday night. He lowered Ian Crocker's mark of 50.40 set at the 2005 world championships in Montreal.

Phelps had once owned the 100 fly mark for a day at the 2003 world meet in Barcelona. But Crocker took it from him a day later, then lowered it twice more.

Phelps' victory gave him a spot in the event at the world championships later this month in Rome. He already qualified in the 200 fly and 200 freestyle as he continues his transformation from swimming middle distances to sprints.
If he didn't smoke pot, maybe he'd be doing a little better than continuing to break world records.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

"I have to say that there was one question that was voted on that ranked fairly high, and that was whether legalizing marijuana would improve the economy and job creation," Obama said off-handedly at the town hall. "I don't know what that says about the online audience."
Missed this earlier :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

LeBron admits to marijuana use

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/b ... index.html

What now? Pot is a must for anyone expecting to be a professional athlete.

How can they not legalize this stuff? The best athletes in the world use the stuff. How are you supposed to tell kids that it's bad?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

...admits he smoked marijuana during his junior year in high school.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.