New Orleans Hate Thread

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

New Orleans Hate Thread

Post by Winnow »

Police with bullhorns plan to go street to street this weekend with a tough message about getting out ahead of Hurricane Gustav: This time there will be no shelter of last resort. The doors to the Superdome will be locked. Those who stay will be on their own.
I wonder if the Astrodome will also be off limits.

On a sympathetic note, I hope we get emergency water and supplies down there faster than last time.

It's looking slightly off to the West atm.

For the record, this is where I stood on things after Katrina:
Winnow wrote:
****name removed**** (it was Sylvus but he might be on suicide watch after Michigan's perfomance yesterday so I don't want to stir things up!) wrote:It's about a place where a number of people have lived for hundreds of years that was recently struck by a natural disaster.
There is an entire field dedicated to underwater archeology. I've seen some of the underwater ruins myself off the coast of Sardinia in the Med, diving down to check out old Roman and Phoenician ruins.

They're under water because...Earth's climate changes...it's not a static system. It's easy to see the rise and fall of the ocean levels over time. New Orleans is in a bad place that we know is getting worse. I don't buy saying it's OK to pour billions into trying to prevent mother nature's advances when it's crystal clear that New Orleans is one of the worse possible places to put a city...doesn't matter if it was a nice place a couple hundred years ago.

All of the money after Katrina should have been focused on relocation and providing a non residential area capable of handling the shipping needs of the area, designed to be able to handle a flood with minimal damage. Residential areas should have been banned in known sub sea level areas that are in known paths of hurricanes that should naturally be underwater.

If stuck in quicksand, you don't keep asking for a longer straw so you can keep breathing in a bad spot, you ask for a rope to pull yourself out.
Last edited by Winnow on September 6, 2008, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Gustav News/Watch

Post by masteen »

I named my new lovebird Gustav. True story.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Gustav News/Watch

Post by Winnow »

rofl

Hurricanes are going to keep coming so I hope they keep hitting New Orleans and spare the rest of the Gulf. May as well keep evacuating the dumbest people over and over instead of disturbing the rest.

If a third one heads toward New Orleans maybe they'll get tired of evacuating, it will hit, and lots of people will die. Maybe they'll figure out that people shouldn't be living there.

Maybe.

Maybe I'll keep paying part of my taxes to pay for stupid people to live there.
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Re: New Orleans Hate Thread

Post by Kryshade »

Winnow, you must be having personal problems or something. Usually I enjoy what you write on this board, but lately you've been coming across with a lot of negativity. This post of yours is a bit stupid really.

Have you ever been to New Orleans? It's pretty hard for people to just "give up" on the largest city in Louisiana and pretty much the only tourism draw to the state. I understand that the location of the city puts it directly in the line of danger for hurricanes, but to say that people that live there are "stupid" or "when are they going to learn" is just dumb. You live in Arizona. Last I recall, that's a pretty arid climate. Should I imply that your an idiot because you would likely die of thirst if something happened to your water supply? Perhaps if some catastrophe hit, I should make fun of you for choosing to live in a place where that could occur?

It might surprise you to learn that New Orleans really wasn't effected very much by Gustav. The majority of damage was done to Baton Rouge and Lafayette, with the former taking the brunt of the damage. New Orleans was evacuated because of the memories of Katrina, and it's nice to know that people have actually learned from that experience and have learned to respect mother nature. That many evacuees affects the entire state of Louisiana, even in the very NW corner of the state where I live. I went to get grocieres the weekend before Gustav and had to wait in line for nearly 40 mins to check out because of the amount of evacuees in the area. Care to figure out a way to permanently relocate a quarter of a million people without destroying the economy of Louisiana? Obviously this post was made without much thought. It's ok, I know you didn't think it through very well, and I'm not mad at you for it, but don't make yourself sound like an asshole with blanket statements like that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kryshade wrote: It might surprise you to learn that New Orleans really wasn't effected very much by Gustav.
Doesn't matter if it was damaged. As long as people had to evacuate and disrupt the neighboring cities, it should put another nail in New Orleans' coffin. Same deal with Ike. It just has to be enough of a threat to force another evacuation.

As I said. The hurricanes will keep coming. Having them all hit in the same area would be beneficial...especially if no one lived there. That would spare the trailer parks on either side.

As for Arizona and lack of water...do your homework. There's tons of ground water in Arizona. Look before you leap! We had 130 days with no rain a few years ago and all of those golf courses kept getting maximum water. Now, if my home caught on fire every couple years because of the heat, you might have a point. What's that? No power problems here! We have a nuclear power plant right outside the city!

While I think Floridians aren't living in the best place, at least the water drains away after hurricanes pass through there. Florida also has the potential to be a major power source with projects underway to harness energy from the strong offshore currents. They may actually sell energy to the rest of the U.S.!

I don't wish harm on anyone but those hurricanes have to go somewhere so I choose New Orleans.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I don't wish harm on anyone but those hurricanes have to go somewhere so I choose New Orleans.
I live in Miami so I have to strongly agree with Winnow on this issue :)
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

drown as many Haitians and cajuns as you want as long as i dont have to put my shutters up, you know?
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

drown as many Haitians and cajuns as you want as long as i dont have to put my shutters up, you know?
Yeah, between my wife and kid versus someone else...yeah I pick someone else. I love how idiots like you think that shutters are like some magical shield against hurricanes. And before you say, well get the fuck out...trust me, I'm working on it...
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

wife and kids? i just don't want to fucking put my shutters up. the fuck is wrong with you?
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I don't mind hurricanes. If I had to choose a natural disaster to have to deal with, hurricanes would win, time and again.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

laneela wrote:I don't mind hurricanes. If I had to choose a natural disaster to have to deal with, hurricanes would win, time and again.
I can't agree more. Tornadoes are really not that bad either because their path of destruction is very narrow. When Fay was aimed at Tampa I was preparing for my Lt. Dan moment: "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?" But of course it missed us from the south and the north. Around these parts people talk about some Seminole tribe voodoo that supposedly keeps hurricanes from coming here, I think it has more to do with the geography of being on the west coast of Florida. As for New Orleans, well there is a different kind of voodoo spell on that city.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't have a ounce of sympathy for the people that put themselves in this situation. Spare me all the whining about how many people are there and it being the only tourist draw to the state, none of that matters. The government has moved entire cities along the banks of the mississippi because they kept getting flooded, and imo it's time to do the same here... Not the whole city, but get the historical shit out, and everyone else that wants to stay is gonna have to put floatation devices on their houses.

A part of the reason I still live in MN is because I don't have to deal with any large scale natural disasters.. ever. A tornado hits a few times a season, but I think the worst ever in my lifetime is a tornado that maybe causes 2 or 3 deaths along with property damage.. That's no where near the scale of a hurricane/tsunami/earthquake/etc.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

It's interesting how you can show sympathy in the aftermath of an infrastructure failure in your own backyard that kills 7 people, yet can be entirely callous when it comes to something 1200 miles away that kills thousands.

Oh well, maybe someday.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:It's interesting how you can show sympathy in the aftermath of an infrastructure failure in your own backyard that kills 7 people, yet can be entirely callous when it comes to something 1200 miles away that kills thousands.

Oh well, maybe someday.
Right, I showed sympathy for a bridge that collapsed because of the government neglecting to use the massive amounts of tax money we give them to maintain it. Again though, I do not have sympathy for people putting themselves in harms way, in a city that has the ocean waiting to crash in on it. That comparison totally makes sense.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Kryshade wrote: You live in Arizona. Last I recall, that's a pretty arid climate. Should I imply that your an idiot because you would likely die of thirst if something happened to your water supply? Perhaps if some catastrophe hit, I should make fun of you for choosing to live in a place where that could occur?
idk dawg you should ask that to the 23 people that had to move out of my apt complex last month because they got flooded with 3 feet of water during a storm.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:
Kryshade wrote: You live in Arizona. Last I recall, that's a pretty arid climate. Should I imply that your an idiot because you would likely die of thirst if something happened to your water supply? Perhaps if some catastrophe hit, I should make fun of you for choosing to live in a place where that could occur?
idk dawg you should ask that to the 23 people that had to move out of my apt complex last month because they got flooded with 3 feet of water during a storm.

:lol: :lol:

I remember walking through the skyways at work and seeing the news about floods in Arizona. I had to do a double take... cause wtf? floods in Arizona?? Really?
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

oh and then there is the colorado river and the salt and verde rivers which supply a huge portion of phoenix with power fed by the white mountains and whatever the heck is in flagstaff

not all of arizona is a shitty desert but all of new orleans is a shitty place to live
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Funkmasterr wrote:
*~*stragi*~* wrote:

I remember walking through the skyways at work and seeing the news about floods in Arizona. I had to do a double take... cause wtf? floods in Arizona?? Really?
it's happened twice this monsoon season at my complex. the rain falls so hard i can't even see out my patio.
Traz-KOE
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Traz-KOE »

Funkmasterr wrote:A part of the reason I still live in MN is because I don't have to deal with any large scale natural disasters.. ever. A tornado hits a few times a season, but I think the worst ever in my lifetime is a tornado that maybe causes 2 or 3 deaths along with property damage.. That's no where near the scale of a hurricane/tsunami/earthquake/etc.
The price you pay is that you live in fucking Minnesota. Sure, I may have to deal with the occasional earthquake and the possibility of a volcanic eruption here in Washington, but in return I get to live in an environment that is culturally and idealogically compatible with me. Furthermore, I never have to worry about it being TOO COLD TO SNOW.
Traz Blackwolfe (Retired)
--------------------
I could turn you inside out
What I choose not to do
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

i dunno that holiday inn i stay at when i'm in minneapolis on business is pretty nice, its across from the xcel center and there are like 3 pubs within walking distance. i'd be pretty well off in sub arctic conditions there!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

except if the roads freeze over the beer trucks cannot et to the pubs to deliver. ....then you would have to hope Kyoukan and her sled dogs could deliver for you
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Traz-KOE wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:A part of the reason I still live in MN is because I don't have to deal with any large scale natural disasters.. ever. A tornado hits a few times a season, but I think the worst ever in my lifetime is a tornado that maybe causes 2 or 3 deaths along with property damage.. That's no where near the scale of a hurricane/tsunami/earthquake/etc.
The price you pay is that you live in fucking Minnesota. Sure, I may have to deal with the occasional earthquake and the possibility of a volcanic eruption here in Washington, but in return I get to live in an environment that is culturally and idealogically compatible with me. Furthermore, I never have to worry about it being TOO COLD TO SNOW.
Minnesota is actually a nice state... There is actually some wildlife left cause the cities aren't too huge yet, and Minneapolis/St. Paul are fair sized too for city night life, etc. The winters can be a bit much, but you kind of get used to it.

I'll take the cold any day over having to rebuild my fucking house for whatever natural disaster reason. Hell, I'll even take that over having to evacuate.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Plus you can purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka any time you like.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:Plus you can purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka any time you like.

I can :) It's about a 5 minute drive from my house.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Traz-KOE wrote:[...]I get to live in an environment that is culturally and idealogically compatible with me.
What the heck does this mean? Are you ideologically against dry weather? Culturally for flannel?
- Ash
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Ashur wrote:
Traz-KOE wrote:[...]I get to live in an environment that is culturally and idealogically compatible with me.
What the heck does this mean? Are you ideologically against dry weather? Culturally for flannel?

Thanks Ash, this made me rofl. :lol:
Timmah.

Traz-KOE
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Traz-KOE »

Ashur wrote:
Sorry, I guess I was being a bit too eloquent for some in this crowd.
Small Words Translation wrote:Seattle is one of a few places I've been where I can easily find people like me.
Traz Blackwolfe (Retired)
--------------------
I could turn you inside out
What I choose not to do
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Traz-KOE wrote:
Ashur wrote:
Sorry, I guess I was being a bit too eloquent for some in this crowd.
Small Words Translation wrote:Seattle is one of a few places I've been where I can easily find people like me.

Ohhhhhh....you are an emo! Gotcha
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Not that there's anything WRONG with that...
- Ash
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

I'm sure it's really easy to move when you don't even have enough money to evacuate.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thess wrote:I'm sure it's really easy to move when you don't even have enough money to evacuate.
Well that would lead into a whole new issue, at least imo.

First of all, I am not going to belittle how hard it would be to pick up and leave knowing you would lose all your shit, but that's just how it goes when you live someplace like that. You don't need any money to evacuate, however. Shit, they could have walked to a much safer spot had they left when they were initially told to.

I also have a hard time feeling bad for the large population of section 8 types in NO. If the government stopped giving them handouts and enabling them to live the lazy ass lives most of them live, maybe they would step into the real world with the rest of us and start working for a living, then maybe the money for a greyhound bus out of state and a cheap motel room somewhere wouldn't be the end of the world. I realize that's over simplifying the issue, but that's the bottom line.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The bottom line is your'e a real piece of shit.

Fuck it. I don't feel bad for anyone who live in MS, GA, FL, SC, or NC. These states are obviously frequent targets of hurricanes so those people should have had common sense not to live or even be born in those regions. Oh and while we're at it, ha to those stupid morons who live in California despite the earthquakes, wildfires and mudslides. House gets wiped out? Too bad. Live in Minnesota and a huge blizzard knocks out your power for a couple weeks and your corpse is found half eaten by cats? Well we can only hope that will happen because that's what you get for living in Minnesota to begin with. I realize that's over simplifying the issue, but that's the bottom line.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

There's no simple answer for New Orleans.

I agree with the observation that "Choosing to live in a bowl that's below sea level is a poor choice". That said, there's no simple answer to "So what do we do about it?".

You could go with the approach of Man vs Nature and make it a point of national pride to keep this city-in-a-bowl viable. That seems to be working for the most part, but all we need is another monster storm or accidental levy breech to fill the bowl again.

You could go the long term urban planning route and look to relocate the city's interests upriver/elsewhere but this doesn't address the fact that there's no plan for the people who cannot afford to relocate. We cannot create new property to replace that we're losing. Someone owns every scrap of land in the US and relocating a city isn't something that would go over well (not to mention the folks who would fight against this to save the historic city in any event).

I think it's just going to be a money and timesink until someday we put a bubble over it or enough people give up and move out, but we'll fight that day coming tooth and nail. It's in our nature.
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ashur wrote:There's no simple answer for New Orleans.

I agree with the observation that "Choosing to live in a bowl that's below sea level is a poor choice". That said, there's no simple answer to "So what do we do about it?".

You could go with the approach of Man vs Nature and make it a point of national pride to keep this city-in-a-bowl viable. That seems to be working for the most part, but all we need is another monster storm or accidental levy breech to fill the bowl again.

You could go the long term urban planning route and look to relocate the city's interests upriver/elsewhere but this doesn't address the fact that there's no plan for the people who cannot afford to relocate. We cannot create new property to replace that we're losing. Someone owns every scrap of land in the US and relocating a city isn't something that would go over well (not to mention the folks who would fight against this to save the historic city in any event).

I think it's just going to be a money and timesink until someday we put a bubble over it or enough people give up and move out, but we'll fight that day coming tooth and nail. It's in our nature.
You said exactly what I wanted someone to say, it's a pride issue. Fuck pride, let's wake up and realize this issue is not going away no matter how many times we replace the levies. Do something about it, reality sucks, but the reality is this city in it's current state/location is going to be history at some point, and like many things, I see no point in dragging the process out.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

It's not a pride issue.

It's an issue of "How do we remove a historical major city from our country in a managed way?". We won't. I'm not sure we're even capable without draconian measures dictated by the government (i.e. You must move by X date. Compensation will be provided for your lost property.) which will not come to pass. That's why I predict the morass will continue until people give up or we put a bubble on it around 2093.
- Ash
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Thess wrote:I'm sure it's really easy to move when you don't even have enough money to evacuate.

First of all, I am not going to belittle how hard it would be to pick up and leave knowing you would lose all your shit, but that's just how it goes when you live someplace like that. You don't need any money to evacuate, however. Shit, they could have walked to a much safer spot had they left when they were initially told to.

I also have a hard time feeling bad for the large population of section 8 types in NO. If the government stopped giving them handouts and enabling them to live the lazy ass lives most of them live, maybe they would step into the real world with the rest of us and start working for a living, then maybe the money for a greyhound bus out of state and a cheap motel room somewhere wouldn't be the end of the world. I realize that's over simplifying the issue, but that's the bottom line.
Most of the reasons I read for people not evacuating were they'd lose their job if they did, and they couldn't afford to do that.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thess wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

Most of the reasons I read for people not evacuating were they'd lose their job if they did, and they couldn't afford to do that.
Ok, but look what ended up becoming of them staying. And now the real kicker is for future hurricanes, they can't claim they didn't know how bad things are/were going to get.

Again, I know I may be making it sound like it's an easy thing to do, and I know that's not the case.. But when do you draw that line?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Fuck it. I don't feel bad for anyone who live in MS, GA, FL, SC, or NC. These states are obviously frequent targets of hurricanes so those people should have had common sense not to live or even be born in those regions. Oh and while we're at it, ha to those stupid morons who live in California despite the earthquakes, wildfires and mudslides. House gets wiped out? Too bad. Live in Minnesota and a huge blizzard knocks out your power for a couple weeks and your corpse is found half eaten by cats? Well we can only hope that will happen because that's what you get for living in Minnesota to begin with. I realize that's over simplifying the issue, but that's the bottom line.
Yes! Now you're getting it! :!:

If someone in Colorado built a house right in the known path where avalanches occur, they'd be idiots.

If someone in California...nm, there's no excuse for them!

One key point to consider is the frequency of impending disaster. Earthquakes and volcanoes are pretty much an unknown. Could be any day or not for 1000 years. With hurricanes, you're going to get 5-10 (or whatever the average is) of them a year.

People who choose to live in the gulf are at risk of being hit by a hurricane. People who live under sea level in a swamp that needs constant pumping in the gulf are a burden.

It's the same with California or cold climates.

California: build earthquake resistant structures
Cold climates: don't build homes in the known path of avalanches (for example)

Sure, both could still be hit by disaster as could all of the people in the gulf, but you can't compare them to the people living in New Orleans.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Maybe if New Orleans moved a few hundred miles northwest they can be called New New Orleans?

There are a lot of people in that area. Most of them can't afford to pick up and move elsewhere. They live where they are because that is where they were born. It's not really a matter of choice for many of them. HOWEVER, if the government wanted to create a new New Orleans then why not hire on as many displaced people as possible to help build it. Give them a damn good wage and the houses that they build are theirs. That would create an assload of jobs and generate income that has never been seen before in that state.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

We don't need to build a bazillion new homes. There's a bazillion homes out there for sale that no one is buying.
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That and a good number of the people living in those shitty neighborhoods are there largely because they would rather get a hand out than work for a living. That's what our welfare system has been made into.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm going to try and be more compassionate about certain things.

I no longer actively hate New Orleans.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Bah, you're just saying that because Texas is getting hammered, and only whites live there.

/internettroll