DNC Convention - streaming HD

What do you think about the world?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

DNC Convention - streaming HD

Post by Fash »

If you're willing to install Silverlight and another plugin, the convention has streaming coverage in HD... which is actually performing better than I would ever expect, no stutters or artifacts... It looks and sounds great.

http://www.demconvention.com/
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: DNC Convention - streaming HD

Post by Winnow »

It's streaming well because no one is watching!

I had Silverlight already installed from the Olympics.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I'm impressed at the technical capacity displayed here.. 4 hours of streaming HD with maybe 4 or 5 short stutters that I noticed. The future is bright, but not because of the DNC... The huge backdrop projection screen is uber.

I haven't watched a convention before, so I'm curious... Is it always just a procession of speakers sucking off the nominee? I'm not trying to be funny. I just can't imagine they had this much positivity towards Kerry last time... This wasn't so much a DNC event as it was an Obama event.

Oh, and based on this single example... Silverlight > Flash. It has just proven its usefulness to me. Time to learn something new...
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Tomorrow night I might check out the streaming version, but tonight I watched the coverage on MSNBC. Well, I had it on in the background for the most part, but I stopped what I was doing and paid attention during a few key moments, specifically the speeches by Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy and Michelle Obama. I tuned out during the analysis and commentary for the most part, but I tended to pay a little more attention when Maddow had the mic. I'm sure I'll be watching a lot more of it as the week progresses.

I thought Kennedy's speech was kind of sad because virtually everyone watching must have had the realization that it was probably the last time he'd be able to do anything like that. I was impressed that he was able to deliver a relatively strong performance, all things considered.
Fash wrote:I haven't watched a convention before, so I'm curious... Is it always just a procession of speakers sucking off the nominee?
I've paid attention to conventions since I was a kid for some oddball reason. The conventions are essentially vehicles to aggrandize the candidates and the parties' respective platforms, and both parties are equally guilty of hamming it up. For the most part, the conventions exist to give each party an opportunity to fellate itself for the whole world to see.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I think I am getting jaded in my old age, but this year's convention has been painful to watch. I have a hard time watching people bashing the competition then one week later they are hugging and claiming to be old friends. The lovefest is terrible this year too. Next week is going to be even worse. Also for all the flack McCain gets for his age, Biden isn't that far behind.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Tyek wrote:I think I am getting jaded in my old age, but this year's convention has been painful to watch. I have a hard time watching people bashing the competition then one week later they are hugging and claiming to be old friends. The lovefest is terrible this year too. Next week is going to be even worse. Also for all the flack McCain gets for his age, Biden isn't that far behind.
I don't necessarily see it as that disingenuous ... depends what kind of mud they were flinging, but I've played *hard* against friends that happened to be on the opposing sporting team that week...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Zaelath wrote:I don't necessarily see it as that disingenuous ... depends what kind of mud they were flinging, but I've played *hard* against friends that happened to be on the opposing sporting team that week...
Politics is not a sporting event.

On a separate note... I can't believe they picked "Isn't she lovely" as the musical choice after Michelle Obamas speech. She must have been practicing that for months!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Fash wrote:
Zaelath wrote:I don't necessarily see it as that disingenuous ... depends what kind of mud they were flinging, but I've played *hard* against friends that happened to be on the opposing sporting team that week...
Politics is not a sporting event.

On a separate note... I can't believe they picked "Isn't she lovely" as the musical choice after Michelle Obamas speech. She must have been practicing that for months!
Well yes, ya'll do seem to take sport more seriously than politics...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Whoever is in charge of camera angles and cuts in the telecast this evening on ABC needs to be fired.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Oh god, there they go parading up every relative they can get their hands on. That old knobbly-kneed lady looks like she's about to keel over. I don't think she even knew where she was.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Yeah, what an asshole for having his mom present for when he accepts his party's nomination for vice president.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A simple "hi mom!" during his speech would have worked.

This isn't the academy awards. No need to thank people. Spell out your plan to improve our nation in as much detail as time allows and then GTF off the stage.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:Oh god, there they go parading up every relative they can get their hands on. That old knobbly-kneed lady looks like she's about to keel over. I don't think she even knew where she was.
If she were any older, she'd be running on the Republican ticket.
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Winnow wrote:Oh god, there they go parading up every relative they can get their hands on. That old knobbly-kneed lady looks like she's about to keel over. I don't think she even knew where she was.
One of the smartest things I think McCain does is have his mom around. Biden stole a page from McCain by having his mother there!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm a bit surprised McCain's mother is still alive.. Going on 100 years!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

McCain's mom is different. She's still lucid!

I approve of McCain's mom. I don't want to see any VP mothers though. It stops with the president!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Winnow wrote:McCain's mom is different. She's still lucid!
Unlike McCain ofc.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

That's awesome that McCain's mom is still around to possibly see her son become president, I can imagine that after the long life she's had, that's about the best thing she could wish to see happen... That's assuming she's still of sound mind.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:That's awesome that McCain's mom is still around to possibly see her son become president, I can imagine that after the long life she's had, that's about the best thing she could wish to see happen... That's assuming she's still of sound mind.
For some reason I don't think either of them will be alive in 2016.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:That's awesome that McCain's mom is still around to possibly see her son become president, I can imagine that after the long life she's had, that's about the best thing she could wish to see happen... That's assuming she's still of sound mind.
For some reason I don't think either of them will be alive in 2016.
:lol:
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Seeing 75,000 people going mental in that stadium begs the question: when will the republicans start getting excited about their candidate?

Also, Gore is a class act, oh what might have been?

Edited: Just switched over to Fox there for a few minutes, god what an embarrassment. Fox and its supporters, or the people who sound like them, really are the fucking Phelps family of the world.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
If she were any older, she'd be running on the Republican ticket.
The single funniest response I've seen on VV in months.

Well played.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I'm so fed up seeing American politicians (in this case Obama) saying shit like "this is what sets our country apart, the belief that an individual can achieve anything".

Congratulations on trying to monopolise a basic global trait. :roll:

Apart from that, Obama is absolutely wiping the floor with McCain in this speech.

Good.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I understand what you're saying Nick, but he's also trying to inspire citizens that have been beaten down by the current administration. A lot of us, surprisingly enough to you perhaps, are deeply ashamed of what our country has become to the rest of the world and to ourselves.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

It doesn't surprise me in the least, I feel bad for people like you who are aware of what's happened. Like me, you were powerless to stop it.

This speech is fucking incredible. I'd love to see the retarded responses from the Fox Phelps crew here at VV once they see it.
Forthe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Brutus709

Post by Forthe »

Nick wrote:I'm so fed up seeing American politicians (in this case Obama) saying shit like "this is what sets our country apart, the belief that an individual can achieve anything".

Congratulations on trying to monopolise a basic global trait. :roll:

Apart from that, Obama is absolutely wiping the floor with McCain in this speech.

Good.
I would have agreed with you a few months ago Nick. While I still think Canada >>>>> USA the fact is that Obama's nomination alone kind of leapfrogged us, and we are a country that takes pride in multiculturalism.
All posts are personal opinion.
My opinion may == || != my guild's.
"All spelling mistakes were not on purpose as I dont know shit ." - Torrkir
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice speech. I found no flaws. His attacks on McCain were well played. The fear engine is going to have to crank it up a notch to counter this.

It's a shame the religious stuff mars both party conventions.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

If you did not see this speech, find the video and watch it. Read it if you must, but know that reading it alone will not do it justice.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm sorry I missed it. Lots of people at work were talking about it in the halls late at night. It sounds lke it went over pretty well. I hope my wife recorded it for me so I can watch it tomarrow.

Btw, Obama and Biden will be speaking in Battle Creek at a nearby stadium this Sunday. It's free and open to the public, but there is no way in hell it can hold 1/1000th of the people that plan to attend. I want to go since it's literally 5 minutes from my house, but I forsee a clusterfuck of thousands and am unsure if I want anything to do with the mess of people.

My wife wants to go, so I probably will attend :P I'll try and get some pictures if I do.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

So he's going to do all this 'stuff'. I ask you, how is he going to actually DO it? Executive Order?

He's going to go line by line through the Federal budget and eliminate some things... on what authority?
He's going to make other things work better and cheaper... how so?
Your healthcare premiums are going to go down, and everyone will be able to afford it... how is the hospital going to stay in business?
Everyone will be able to afford college... who's paying?
Increasing corporate taxes through eliminating loopholes, I agree with... but do you expect them NOT to pass some of this down to their employees with decreased benefits and pay increases, or on to the consumers in higher profit margins and less deals?

So what are you thinking is going to happen by the end of his first term? It seems like some of you expect Utopia in 2012.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, that was a nice speech.

The line up of Democrats over the last 3 days reminds me of better times. As controversial as some of them are, they are undoubtedly recognizable and historic.

I'm now anxious to see what the Republicans will do next week. I'll be watching their convention as well and I'll keep an open mind. I'm unsure who they can put on stage without it looking like a police lineup. Will they put Dubya on stage? Wouldn't that be a pretty dumb thing to do? On the other hand, will they actually snub the current republican president? Doesn't Bush have the lowest rating in the presidental history? That's a hard place for McCain to be.

Btw, that streaming HD is pretty kickass. I'm surprised at the quality. I didn't have a single pause or break while watching, and it looked fantastic.
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Winnow wrote:It's streaming well because no one is watching!

I had Silverlight already installed from the Olympics.
Heh, I installed it for the Olympics too, then found out that they wouldnt stream the coverage outside of the US. Bastards! :P

"Line by line through the budget/what gives him the authority"- I may be way out to lunch but isnt that specifically what a line item veto is and what its for?
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

No, because the budget is done yearly by congress. A good president can dictate to congress exactly what he is willing to sign and with enough political gravitas he is able to push through his own budget. Democrats will hold both houses and the presidency come November. The estimates are 57 or so senators, which is almost a filibuster proof majority, and Obama is the kind of leader who can win over 5 or more Republicans. They will attempt to accomplish these things with tax money that comes from the rich as was spelled out.

Fash's criticism is that 40+ minutes of speech with pretty specific policy proposals is not specific enough. Any more and the speech would be pretty boring and self defeating. If you care enough about even more specific plans, go to his website and download the Blueprint for Change because it's there.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Sirton
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sirton »

Great speech...i mean the guy is inspirational to the point of a ronald reagan, jfk, fdr, or my favorite president TR. This is were he shines. Obama if I knew he was real or had a record and if his policies wouldn't kill small business I may love him, besides Im abit more nationalistic.

Now lets see the Republicans and the debates(which I think Mac will win).

My only real problem with Obama is he has almost NO record. I wish he had 8 years of a national or governorship record to look at, because I love inspirational people who have more of my views.

I have to say if Obama wins. The least is I will have to fire 5-15 employees to make up the difference in how he will hurt my businesses...((If what I may think is true what he'll do to small business(Its too risky for me personally))...Either that or at worst we take a shot or roll of the dice on Obama and I maybe firing 50+ employees and being homeless myself , and I go broke and have 400K-1mil in debt, because I have been creating jobs for all these people, but the risk has been on me with the debt.

Anyways He gave a great speech in all honesty.

And the most important thing. This is a great day for our country. This is the first time a Black man or Minority has been nominated for the presidency of the United States of America. I mean this should shine pride in the African American community. I mean I teared up and I hate Democrats and I won't vote for this man. But I belive we are all equal and just for the Historical perspective of this moment...This is great. I hope this has a uplifting movement to the inner-city children stuggling of our country...hell I hope its inspirational for all Americans and Im proud to see this moment, because he didn't get this just because he was black and black people voted for him, but because he has character and touched people of all races of his party.
CRY HAVOC...........AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!!!!!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

VariaVespasa wrote:"Line by line through the budget/what gives him the authority"- I may be way out to lunch but isnt that specifically what a line item veto is and what its for?

I seem to remember several presidents asking for the ability to use a line item veto. They can't, or haven't, been able to do it yet.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Don't bounce on Rove's dick too hard there Fash you might hurt him. Talk about regurgitating right wing talking points. You're a parody of punditry.

Since you were so obviously watching the reaction on fox news, since your post is effectively word for word what Karl Rove said, (way to think for yourself) surely you must also have noticed the red faced, sputtering to find an angle, embarrassing middle aged men with nothing but red herring arguments, that fox ever so beautifully fell into after the speech. Even Rove looked scared.

Last nights speech was an epic speech, I have no fucking clue what planet Sirton is on where McCain will somehow defeat the oratory of Obama in the debates. Planet moron presumably.

If you still aren't voting for Obama after watching that speech, you were never going to anyway, no matter what he said or did. He answered virtually everything he's been attacked for by the stupid fucking neanderthal republican talking heads. And give them an enthusiastic middle finger while doing so.

Awesome, awesome speech. One that should go down in history as the biggest schooling the fucked up bad elements of the US has recieved in decades. The media in the UK is pretty much 100% behind Obama, same with the media in most other european countries. McCain is virtually irrelevant here. A fossil and a joke. I know that will probably scare the xenophobes, but hey, what doesnt?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Haven't turned on Fox in weeks, I watched the speech in streaming HD on demconvention.com. If right wing pundits are the only people not swallowing the kool-aid without question, then I'm fine with being labeled in that group, retard.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Forthe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Brutus709

Post by Forthe »

Fash wrote:Haven't turned on Fox in weeks, I watched the speech in streaming HD on demconvention.com. If right wing pundits are the only people not swallowing the kool-aid without question, then I'm fine with being labeled in that group, retard.
Best way to watch it. I might check out the pundits after but I do not want the pundits deciding what I see or hear.
All posts are personal opinion.
My opinion may == || != my guild's.
"All spelling mistakes were not on purpose as I dont know shit ." - Torrkir
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Forthe wrote:
Fash wrote:Haven't turned on Fox in weeks, I watched the speech in streaming HD on demconvention.com. If right wing pundits are the only people not swallowing the kool-aid without question, then I'm fine with being labeled in that group, retard.
Best way to watch it. I might check out the pundits after but I do not want the pundits deciding what I see or hear.
Yeah, I stopped watching NBC and ABC since I could only hear their annoying "talking heads" instead of the actual speakers. They were even summing up what the speakers said AS they said it. It isn't like I don't understand English unless spoken by one of them.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I caught part of this speech last night after the Packer game. My wife had been watching a bit longer than I have but she pretty much summed it up with, "Why can't he tell us what he is going to do instead of telling us what McCain can't". From what I understand he spent a good portion of his time speaking just bashing the shitfuck out McCain. I'm sure that McCain will do the same.

I changed the channel and went to nfl network instead. At least Deion Sanders talks some sense.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

If that's seriously the impression that your wife took away after watching that speech, she's a retard and you're a retard for listening to her. He spent quite a bit of time on what he plans to do.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Don't call Bubba or his wife a retard.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

You're right, that's probably a bit too harsh. Bubba is a decent guy, and I've got nothing against him, really, but that post and his wife's sentiment expressed within it is pretty retarded. It's really hard to explain how someone could watch the entire speech and still say that. If she's not a retard, the only other explanation is just that she wasn't paying attention. I'm willing to accept that as an explanation instead.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xatrei wrote:You're right, that's probably a bit too harsh. Bubba is a decent guy, and I've got nothing against him, really, but that post and his wife's sentiment expressed within it is pretty retarded. It's really hard to explain how someone could watch the entire speech and still say that. If she's not a retard, the only other explanation is just that she wasn't paying attention. I'm willing to accept that as an explanation instead.
:fist:

There really isn't anything more fitting than that for you. Seriously, if one person can watch this and take something from it that you did not, that doesn't make them "retarded" in any way.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That's not it at all. To watch that speech and then say that he didn't tell the world what he's going to do, apparently missing a huge chunk of the speech, says something.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xatrei wrote:You're right, that's probably a bit too harsh. Bubba is a decent guy, and I've got nothing against him, really, but that post and his wife's sentiment expressed within it is pretty retarded. It's really hard to explain how someone could watch the entire speech and still say that. If she's not a retard, the only other explanation is just that she wasn't paying attention. I'm willing to accept that as an explanation instead.
Yeah, I didn't mean to jump on you. Bubba isn't one to sling mud and name call, so I really thought your comment was uncalled for. I fully understand your frustration. Some people jsut aren't into politics though :P
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean to jump on you. Bubba isn't one to sling mud and name call, so I really thought your comment was uncalled for. I fully understand your frustration. Some people jsut aren't into politics though :P
You were right to do so. Bubba is one of my favorite personalities on the board, even though we may be quite different politically. That comment about not "telling us what you're going to do" really set me off because of its demonstrable (just watch the video) absurdity, and I was too harsh. Regardless, it's still pretty ridiculous to walk away from that speech with such a notion.

Sorry, Bub.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

No problem. I don't take offense. On occasion I can be somewhat retarded. In this case, it just happened to be the part that we caught of the speech and not the speech as a whole. We didn't watch the whole thing and when we tune in and only hear the mud slinging part it is kind of a turn of and makes us believe that nothing has really changed in politics. Granted, I know this goes both ways. If this had been McCain instead of Obama then we probably would have said the same thing.

No worries though. All is good.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't see it as 'mudslinging' really. You can't be in an election and not comment on your opponent.

--