What do you think about the world?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Rook at us, we are Chinese!

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,402403,00.html

WTF were they thinking? Kind of ballsy in this age of sensitivity.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Rook at us, we are Chinese!

Post by Canelek »

Not really sure what to make of this. It is a bit childish, if nothing else. Ask someone who is from one of the Asian countries....

Of course, if they are making fun of the Chinese, they should fear more for their families than 1.3 billion people's hurt feelings. The Chinese government has a special agency that monitors people who are ignorant of different cultures. This agency is pretty good at making people *disappear*.
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

People have mistakenly thought I was Chinese my entire life.

I do not take offense to that photograph.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... oly,100152
As the uproar over the picture has grown today, more information about the advertising shot has come to light. The New York Times reports that Spain's basketball team is sponsored by Li-Ning Footwear, a Chinese company founded by Li Ning, the final torchbearer who was hoisted along the top of Beijing National Stadium during the Olympic Opening Ceremony finale. The ad reportedly references the Spanish team recently extending their contract with the footwear giant for another four years.

The Spanish-language paper El Mundo has a piece debating whether the ad was racist that basically calls out the British press for trying to smear Spain's good name. But they miss the point. Whether the picture was made in good fun is irrelevant. It was a ridiculous idea that was bound to upset a lot of people.
There was more to the story, but yeah it was probably not the smartest thing to do.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

Spainards...
Bujinkan is teh win!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I find it amazing how no one has a real problem with this. The media has given them a pass. If the USA basketball team did this, we would have been crushed in the media.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I find it amazing how no one has a real problem with this. The media has given them a pass. If the USA basketball team did this, we would have been crushed in the media.
Americans are held to a higher standard while those we protect run around mocking the second level powers, causing us to spend more money on the military.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I find it amazing how no one has a real problem with this. The media has given them a pass. If the USA basketball team did this, we would have been crushed in the media.
Americans are held to a higher standard while those we protect run around mocking the second level powers, causing us to spend more money on the military.
Indeed
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

and they call my posts repetitive.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Fuck America!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Their excuse was rather flimsy...

Is this overreaction or underreaction... I can't even tell any more. The whole scenario is absurd.
en kærlighed småkager
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:Their excuse was rather flimsy...

Is this overreaction or underreaction... I can't even tell any more. The whole scenario is absurd.
Both. We should be able to live in a world without the sensitivity bullshit. But, we do. So, this is an underreaction. *shrug*
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Speaking of over sensitivity shit. I remember when it was religious right wackos who were always out there tryign to sensor everything and shield the kids from things they disagreed with and the democrats/liberals were fighting for freedom fo expression, etc. Now you have the libs leading the cause. The religious right ringers are still at it as well. It's scary stuff.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I was hoping that China would have owned their asses in the game.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Is the pulling on of one's eyes to imitate an almond-shaped eye inherently offensive? Is it more or less offensive than making fun of the English accents that many Chinese people have, as was done with the title of this thread? Does the context in which someone imitates someone else have anything to do with whether or not it's offensive?

I'm also not sure where you're coming up with the "libs leading the cause" for censorship. You always invoke the liberal bias of the media, yet in this very thread you're talking about how the media has "under-reacted" in this case. Which of your contradictory statements would you prefer to rescind?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Personally I file this under the "Don't care" category. I leave it up to actual Chinese people to be offended or not. If they are offended they can take it up with those individuals directly.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:Is the pulling on of one's eyes to imitate an almond-shaped eye inherently offensive? Is it more or less offensive than making fun of the English accents that many Chinese people have, as was done with the title of this thread? Does the context in which someone imitates someone else have anything to do with whether or not it's offensive?

I'm also not sure where you're coming up with the "libs leading the cause" for censorship. You always invoke the liberal bias of the media, yet in this very thread you're talking about how the media has "under-reacted" in this case. Which of your contradictory statements would you prefer to rescind?
Not contradictory at all. The media loves to show America in a bad light. This incident had nothign to do with America. Your lack of concern over this is very expected and only goes to prove my point. The same exact offense, even though you choose to say contrary, done by the USA basketball team would be widely held as offensive, racist, etc. and you'd be right there with them.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:The media loves to show America in a bad light. This incident had nothign to do with America. Your lack of concern over this is very expected and only goes to prove my point. The same exact offense, even though you choose to say contrary, done by the USA basketball team would be widely held as offensive, racist, etc. and you'd be right there with them.
This is Spain fucking up, hence, I care considerably less than if it were Americans fucking up. If it were the US team doing this, then yes, I would be upset because they are representing my country. Do you understand?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Not contradictory at all. The media loves to show America in a bad light.
And the media didn't hesitate to show the Spanish basketball team in a bad light.
The article linked actually states that the photo "sparked international outrage".

This incident had nothign to do with America. Your lack of concern over this is very expected and only goes to prove my point.
I thought you were talking about the media.. and not Sylvus' own personal opinions.
I doubt the media reaction would have been much different if it had involved americans.

The same exact offense, even though you choose to say contrary, done by the USA basketball team would be widely held as offensive, racist, etc. and you'd be right there with them.
Bullshit.
You and your beloved right-wing media had a field day on that 'tar baby' comment... while most of us libs had a much more rational reaction.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Bullshit.
You and your beloved right-wing media had a field day on that 'tar baby' comment... while most of us libs had a much more rational reaction.
I wouldn't know. I didn't hear any right wing media discussing this. Maybe the right wing programs you listen to did. I heard about it on O&A. They had a good chuckle on it, as did I. I had a rational laugh at it. How aboat you?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Another Spanish team discovered making eye-slant gesture
By Chris Chase

A picture recently discovered on the website of the Spanish Tennis Federation shows the nation's Federation Cup team making an eye-slant gesture, according to a report in London's Telegraph. The shot was apparently snapped in February, prior to Spain's Federation Cup match with China.

It's the second such picture of a Spanish sports team to emerge in the past week. Spain's basketball team made a similar gesture in an advertisement for a courier company that was published prior to the Olympics in the newspaper La Marca.

If you didn't read Adrian Wojnarowski's column on the picture controversy yesterday, I highly recommend it. In the piece, Jason Kidd makes a salient point when he asks what the reaction would have been if an American team had been photographed mocking an entire nation. He says there is a double-standard that exists with Americans and, by extension, their teams. He's exactly right. However, Kidd and his teammates would never be ignorant enough to put themselves in this situation.
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... oly,100968

Wow, ok...not sure what to add.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Tyek wrote:
If you didn't read Adrian Wojnarowski's column on the picture controversy yesterday, I highly recommend it. In the piece, Jason Kidd makes a salient point when he asks what the reaction would have been if an American team had been photographed mocking an entire nation. He says there is a double-standard that exists with Americans and, by extension, their teams. He's exactly right. However, Kidd and his teammates would never be ignorant enough to put themselves in this situation.
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... oly,100968

Wow, ok...not sure what to add.
I would add that it's exactly the point that Midnyte made.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

It's blatantly racist. Can we keep the "omg america is the victim" out of it? It's not about you, at all. Not even the slightest bit to do with you.

I know its hard to understand, but it isn't. Deal with it.

k?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Nick wrote:It's blatantly racist. Can we keep the "omg america is the victim" out of it? It's not about you, at all. Not even the slightest bit to do with you.

k?
Yeah DUH, it is impossible to be a victim when we are so obviously evil, stupid and full of fuckwits!

As Nick said now in 2 threads, stop talking about America unless you bash it dammit.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Nick wrote:It's blatantly racist. Can we keep the "omg america is the victim" out of it? It's not about you, at all. Not even the slightest bit to do with you.

k?
Have you never posed a question to someone that wasn't entirely about the current topic, just a tangential question that occurred to you?

We get it, it's not about America. This is a Spanish team... hmm, but what if...?

I know it's hard to understand... fuck off, k?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

k?

Can you point out Ireland to me on this list?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympi ... s/tracker/

I see Denmark
I see Norway
I see Finland
I see Sweden

The igloo nations are at least showing up on the list and making a go of it in the Summer Olympics.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:

k?

Can you point out Ireland to me on this list?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympi ... s/tracker/

I see Denmark
I see Norway
I see Finland
I see Sweden

The igloo nations are at least showing up on the list and making a go of it in the Summer Olympics.
See my most recent post in the "Dubya at his finest" thread for information on why the Irish couldn't attend.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fash wrote:I would add that it's exactly the point that Midnyte made.
The point is that both Midnyte and Jason Kidd are fucking morons.
Jason Kidd makes a salient point when he asks what the reaction would have been if an American team had been photographed mocking an entire nation
The point is not salient, it's fucking moronic.
The Spanish team is being slammed in the media.
There is international outrage.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

It's cool to make a thread about people being racially insensitive, and add your own racially insensitive title. Mocking the way another nation speaks is MUCH MORE ACCEPTABLE than mocking the way they look.

No, I'm not surprised that little reality was lost on you.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

noel wrote:It's cool to make a thread about people being racially insensitive, and add your own racially insensitive title. Mocking the way another nation speaks is MUCH MORE ACCEPTABLE than mocking the way they look.

I'm not surprised the title was lost on you. Not one bit. Those would not be my words....they would be the words of....bah....why bother.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
noel wrote:It's cool to make a thread about people being racially insensitive, and add your own racially insensitive title. Mocking the way another nation speaks is MUCH MORE ACCEPTABLE than mocking the way they look.

I'm not surprised the title was lost on you. Not one bit. Those would not be my words....they would be the words of....bah....why bother.
The words of the one-armed man perhaps? Hrmm, Dr Kimble?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I'm not surprised the title was lost on you. Not one bit. Those would not be my words....they would be the words of....bah....why bother.
Normally quotes are put in... y'know... quotes.

Regardless of whether they were your words or someone else's, you have no one but yourself to thank for anyone familiar with your posting history thinking a racially insensitive remark was made by you.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

noel wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I'm not surprised the title was lost on you. Not one bit. Those would not be my words....they would be the words of....bah....why bother.
Normally quotes are put in... y'know... quotes.

Regardless of whether they were your words or someone else's, you have no one but yourself to thank for anyone familiar with your posting history thinking a racially insensitive remark was made by you.
No man should ever say the phrase 'racially insensitive' and mean it.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I'd want to rage against minorities if I sat home and jacked off to pictures of Barack Obama. The self-pity, the scorn, it must be overwhelming.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:No man should ever say the phrase 'racially insensitive' and mean it.
One day when you become a man, maybe you'll understand what it takes to be one.
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Acies wrote:Spainards...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... e98137.ece

But a microcosm of the way they are there.
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

PS: Jason Kidd is a dumbfuck.

If the US players did that, they sure as hell would deserve to take an assload of shit for it. I can't say for certain whether or not the gesture is intended to be insulting in Spain (though it's clearly not meant to be endearing), but in every situation I've ever seen it used in the US it was always intended as a racial insult.