What do you think about the world?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Re: Canadians losing their heads...

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

miir wrote:
Boogahz wrote:He was stabbed 40 times because they did not stop him. That is the point you can't seem to grasp.
Do you honestly think that trying to save someone who is most likely already dead (or mortally wounded) is that much more important than getting 40 other people out of harms way?

Unless you were in that situation it's incredibly disrespectful to fault the actions of the other passengers on the bus.

The fact that nobody else was hurt is about the only positive that can be taken from this incident.

We get it....you're a thinker. Some of us are reacters. There are situations that suit both types. You do not suit this particular situation.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I really doubt you would leave your child unprotected in the back of the bus while you go play hero. Then again...you proved your kids take a back seat to mostly everything. What a shame. My kid is the most important thing to me in my entire life. Getting her to safety would have been my #1 priority.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i honestly had no idea that boog was such a moron until just now. sad stuff
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

cadalano wrote:i honestly had no idea that boog was such a moron until just now. sad stuff
yes, I am a moron because I would attempt to save another person's life. I fail to see how one man with a knife could have caused significant bodily harm to 40 other people if someone attempted to stop him from stabbing one. Was this some kind of comic book knife that fired flechette rounds?
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

no youre a moron because youre failing to understand simple but important facts here which should be common sense. its all been explained and i dont really care to repeat, nor do i care about what you have to say at this point- you've already proven that, as midnyte has said, that you would not think things through but simply act regardless of how misguided your intentions may be and regardless of how severe the consequences may be; not only to yourself but to the bystanders that could actually benefit from your assistance in this situation.

again, its just sad because i did not figure you to be the ignorant type
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I see your truuuuuue colors shining through....
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

cadalano wrote:no youre a moron because youre failing to understand simple but important facts here which should be common sense. its all been explained and i dont really care to repeat, nor do i care about what you have to say at this point- you've already proven that, as midnyte has said, that you would not think things through but simply act regardless of how misguided your intentions may be and regardless of how severe the consequences may be; not only to yourself but to the bystanders that could actually benefit from your assistance in this situation.

The ignorant one is the one who runs around calling others ignorant for failing to see THEIR point of view.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

The "I'm rubber, you're glue" comeback. Excellent.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

my post is a plea to boog only. watch as i do not respond to the troll. everyone watching? there will be a test afterwards... don't fail!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

cadalano wrote:no youre a moron because youre failing to understand simple but important facts here which should be common sense. its all been explained and i dont really care to repeat, nor do i care about what you have to say at this point- you've already proven that, as midnyte has said, that you would not think things through but simply act regardless of how misguided your intentions may be and regardless of how severe the consequences may be; not only to yourself but to the bystanders that could actually benefit from your assistance in this situation.

Once again, what is wrong with stopping ONE attacker with ONE knife that could cause FOURTY other people to run in fear? What SEVERE CONSEQUENCES could those FOURTY people face by stopping ONE person? I can see where a 41 person dogpile would be bad, and that is in no way what I have been referring to. Seriously, HOW could it cause more harm than good to attempt to stop this person? YOU are the one that is saying that it would do more harm, and I am asking how this could be so? The only reason I can see to run out of the bus is to avoid the stampede of people doing the same.

I see no harm in stopping this person. If I had my kid sitting next to him, yes, I would get out of the way. If I were the guy sitting there alone next to the one wielding the knife, I would have tried to do something to stop him. He wasn't even facing his seatmate. The guy that was sitting next to him even said such, but he said that he did not fully realize what was happening until he was off the bus. Then he went to help trap the guy. It sounds more like it was a stampede of people that did not fully realize what was going on, and THAT is where I see more potential harm than one or two people stopping him from swinging the knife.

Seriously, explain to me where the flaw is here. I am not saying that an elderly person should try to do this. I am talking about an adult male in reasonable shape.
Last edited by Boogahz on August 6, 2008, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:

The ignorant one is the one who runs around calling others ignorant for failing to see THEIR point of view.
Lol, which you just essentially did.

GG!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

again, everything has been said for you to come to a logical conclusion and you have failed to. all i can offer you is a paraphrase of the same and i'd rather not. i'm not here to convince you of anything.. i'm just here to mourn the death of your integrity.. a eulogy, in a sense
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

cadalano wrote:again, everything has been said for you to come to a logical conclusion and you have failed to. all i can offer you is a paraphrase of the same and i'd rather not. i'm not here to convince you of anything.. i'm just here to mourn the death of your integrity.. a eulogy, in a sense
Bullshit. People have said that this ONE man posed EXTREME DANGER to the other passengers. He had a KNIFE. Do you know what a KNIFE looks like? Do you know how a KNIFE is used? How in the hell could ONE MAN with a KNIFE threaten the lives of FOURTY other people to such an extent, they can ONLY RUN AWAY to save themselves?

HOW did this ONE man pose such a danger that all 40 people could do nothing but run away?

Oh, or are you just using the Miir defense of "it's out there if you can learn to use the internetz" line of bullshit rather than actually trying to discuss something?
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Bullshit. People have said that this ONE man posed EXTREME DANGER to the other passengers. He had a KNIFE. Do you know what a KNIFE looks like? Do you know how a KNIFE is used? How in the hell could ONE MAN with a KNIFE threaten the lives of FOURTY other people to such an extent, they can ONLY RUN AWAY to save themselves?
are you listening to yourself at this point? maybe youre just stubborn to admit that youre wrong, and thats okay. i'd rather you were stubborn than an idiot
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

If I had been a passenger on that bus, I'd probably still be in my seat listening to my iPod at this very moment.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Forthe wrote:
Kilmoll, have some fucking respect.

I'm with you Forthe. I may make fun of Canadians in general but I respect what military they have and history shows they've performed well in the field.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

This thread is a shining example of how cowardly and completely illogical a big majority of people here really can be. What a joke.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

cadalano wrote:
are you listening to yourself at this point? maybe youre just stubborn to admit that youre wrong, and thats okay. i'd rather you were stubborn than an idiot
I am asking for you to show me where I am wrong. The capitalized words are the keys to what I am talking about. I am not one of the other asses on this board that cannot accept where I may be wrong. I do require some kind of rational explaination at times though. The simple "someone could get hurt" argument is not enough without a valid reason. Your valid reason may be that he was holding a knife and had no problems with killing another human being. My reason would be if I were with children or elderly people that I would feel the need to lead to safety first, or if he were wielding a gun.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Well the fact of the matter is that a couple of passengers DID go back to confront the guy.
He came at them with the knife and even attempted to stab them through a crack in the doors after they retreated.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's fun watching the Boog meltdown. I usually find his posts intelligent, logical and (mostly) thought out but here the boy has lost his fucking mind. I keep checking the avatar on his posts expecting it to be Midnyte and seeing it's not!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I mean, if one person is already mortally wounded, it would be even more of a tragedy for a second person to die.
cnn wrote: Colwell said there was no immediate indication of what prompted the attack. He said he didn't know how many times the victim was stabbed. Witnesses described the weapon as a large butcher-type knife.

Colwell praised the "extraordinary" calmness and bravery of the bus driver and passengers.

"What you saw and what you experienced would shake the most seasoned police officer. And yet I'm told that each of you acted swiftly, calmly and bravely," Colwell said. "As a result, no one else was injured."

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton to Winnipeg, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said in Dallas, Texas.

Caton told the AP that the attacker didn't sit near the victim when he first got on the bus, about an hour before the attack.

"He sat in the front at first; everything was normal," Caton said. "We went to the next stop, and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting. He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal."

Half an hour later, the attack began, Caton told the AP. "There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."
I still think you guys are underestimating how traumatic it would be to see this happen. It's not like the guy pulled out a knife and was moving toward someone, and everyone ran for their lives instead of helping him. In that situation, not only would I accept that internet_toughguy_01 would probably try and help subdue the guy trying to attack a stranger, I myself would probably try to. But by the time anyone realized what was happening, dude was already getting repeatedly stabbed by a psychopath, and no matter what any of you tries to say I think all bets are off at that point. I have trouble believing that out of 40 people on a bus, none of them were as brave as the 40% of the people on this thread trying to claim how they would have responded in that situation.

Shit was way fucked up.
The Winnipeg Sun wrote:The first public words Vince Weiguang Li uttered since being charged in a gruesome beheading that has made headlines around the world were a quiet, almost inaudible, plea to be killed.

Li, who is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Tim McLean aboard a Greyhound Bus last Wednesday, stared at the floor through much of his brief appearance in court Tuesday.

Court heard how, since his arrest, the 40-year-old has declined to speak with justice officials and a legal aid lawyer assigned to his case.

When the judge asked him if he wanted a lawyer, Li shook his head no and then quietly said “please kill me.”

According to a police report read by the Crown, officers discovered a plastic bag containing an ear, nose and part of a mouth in the pocket of the accused.

The night of the deadly attack, Dalmyn said the only response officers received from Li: “I have to stay on the bus forever”.
I think they should probably comply with his request.

Okay, I've been reasearching as I've been writing this post, and this gets even more fucked up...
yahoo wrote: TORONTO - A police officer at the scene of a grisly beheading on a Canadian bus reported seeing the attacker hacking off pieces of the victim's body and eating them, according to a police tape leaked on the Internet Saturday.

In the tape of radio transmissions, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer refers to the attacker as "Badger" and says he is armed with a knife and scissors and is "defiling the body at the front of the bus as we speak."

On the tape, which lasts about 80 seconds, officers continue to detail the attacker's movements until one reports, "Badger's at the back of the bus, hacking off pieces and eating it."
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:It's fun watching the Boog meltdown. I usually find his posts intelligent, logical and (mostly) thought out but here the boy has lost his fucking mind. I keep checking the avatar on his posts expecting it to be Midnyte and seeing it's not!
What an awful way to treat people. My only hope is to keep thinking you only act like this on a faceless board like this.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Mr. Caton, who served five years in the Canadian Forces and was closest to the attacker, paused before leaving, torn momentarily between concern for his own safety and the thought of abandoning the bleeding victim. He turned to another man nearby and asked for his help.

"I said, 'Give me a hand and let's get this guy.' And the other guy took off," he said.

It was only moments later that the victim's screams went silent. Mr. Caton knew he was too late.

Mr. Caton jumped off the bus, and was met by a trucker who had stopped after seeing the commotion. The trucker grabbed a crowbar and Mr. Caton got a hammer and they tried to contain the attacker on the bus. The attacker swung his knife at them through the partially closed bus door.

Reread this ^ post. I was not jumping on the anti-Canadian military bandwagon because the initial reaction of this person was to save the victim, and he only ran off afterward when others ran away and the victim was silent. My whole point is that something could have been done before it led to the silence. You cannot come together and have a committee to vote on whether or not you are going to save a person's life in this situation. You have to be able to make a decision. You can run away if you want. I might run away too in the right/wrong situation, but my reaction would be to stop the man with the knife in this particular one.

Cadalano, how about you go re-read the thread. The only place the other passengers being in danger was discussed was with Kilmoll firing a handgun at him.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:What an awful way to treat people. My only hope is to keep thinking you only act like this on a faceless board like this.
Some of us think a life could have been saved, others don't. It's all skepticism.

The conversation is over. There's nothing more to be said.

If you don't risk your life for a complete stranger, you're a fucking coward, and that's fine with me.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Boog,
He was military trained. So he's trained in close quarters combat. The knife was also described as a "Rambo" knife. While that's not an easily identifiable size/shape/type of knife. It's safe to say it was a large knife. I do know that our (USA) infantry troops are trained to fight close quarters with a knife/bayonet.

Now ask yourself, does the average person, whose combat training consists of fights on elementary school playgrounds, stand a chance at subdueing/disarming/neutralizing this man?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:What an awful way to treat people. My only hope is to keep thinking you only act like this on a faceless board like this.
Oh look emoboy Mindyte is getting all emo. It will be OK emo.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Truant wrote:Boog,
He was military trained. So he's trained in close quarters combat. The knife was also described as a "Rambo" knife. While that's not an easily identifiable size/shape/type of knife. It's safe to say it was a large knife. I do know that our (USA) infantry troops are trained to fight close quarters with a knife/bayonet.

Now ask yourself, does the average person, whose combat training consists of fights on elementary school playgrounds, stand a chance at subdueing/disarming/neutralizing this man?
Are you saying that the attacker was military trained? Based on the information I have seen, the person in my last post was the only one that had a military background.

Does the average person stand a chance at stopping another person with a knife, I believe so. The man quoted above was behind the attacker. There is a lot more that you can do to stop the attack from behind than in front of him, and you would be able to avoid getting stabbed at the same time.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

'Military trained' is such a vague phrase.

What was this military trained person's job while in the military?

I was military trained, but I'm no fucking Rambo, nor were most of the people I worked with during my 7 years in the army.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Ah. I guess I confused the two people. The story has been chopped up and quoted by so many different people that it's apparently blurring together in my head.

Regardless, I would hope that in a similar situation that I would be able to react and help...but I'm not going to sit here and shit all over those people who actually were in that situation and didn't for whatever various reasons.

I'm sorry the guy died, I'm glad noone else was hurt.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Truant wrote:Regardless, I would hope that in a similar situation that I would be able to react and help...but I'm not going to sit here and shit all over those people who actually were in that situation and didn't for whatever various reasons.
That's the thing. I only responded directly to the people that seemed to think the reaction I would have had was stupid. I also said I was unable to understand how all 40 people (which I now know also included 6 children) could have just run away. Like I mentioned, I have been in a similar situation. I know what my reaction would be. To tell me that my reaction is stupid because someone else could get hurt by it makes no sense to me.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

If you are unable to understand the reactions of those people, I will attempt to explain it.

First and foremost, this was a purely instinctive reaction. Noone knew what was going on until it was already happening. I'm going to suppose a bit here, but it should be fairly safe suppositions. An overwhelming majority went straight into shock. Absolute panic over what was happening and how disorienting it was. Their first instinct was to run and they did so without thinking about it, or what other possible actions they could take and what the consequences of any of those actions might be. It was not a concious reaction. Panic -- Run.
Second, as a result of our modern society, less and less people have survival instincts anymore. We have comparatively soft, easy lives compared to our ancestors who had to fight for survival every single day of their lives. When faced with a fight or flee situation, the majority of (current time) people will flee.

Now, there are still people out there who have those fight for survival instincts, but they are becoming more few and far between. They are easily the minority.

It's going to seem absurd, but it's by no means a stretch of the imagination. Every zombie movie made is a direct reflection of this loss of survival instincts. The majority of survivors in the movie are absolutely fucking clueless about what they should do, and one or two people have to take command of the situation and get everyone on the right track for survival.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The only Canadian that could have stopped this tragedy would have been Steve Nash. He's like the Bruce Lee of Canada. 2xMVP
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:The only Canadian that could have stopped this tragedy would have been Steve Nash. He's like the Bruce Lee of Canada. 2xMVP
or Jack Bauer.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I would like to see George Romero's take on this.
en kærlighed småkager
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

And now PETA will be using this to launch an ad campaign on how this situation is akin to the butching of animals and consuming their flesh.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/ ... ml?ref=rss

Someone really needs to start going stabby on these opportunistic assholes.
They're worse than the Westboro Baptist Church.

The ad in question...

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I have no desire to eat humans.

Cows, pigs, and chickens on the other hand...
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

PETA makes me sick.
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

PETA is a bunch of way over the edge extremists.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's more than just the dog days of summer. Word is that Sen. Barack Obama is really looking around for the dog he's promised daughters Malia and Sasha for spending so much time running for president. Well now PETA has weighed in with a good idea. Adopt a dog: Don't go the puppy mill route. In a letter provided to Whispers today and printed below, President Ingrid Newkirk urges the Democrat to go to a shelter and not give in to the pressure from dog breeders who want Obama to have a purebred. "Adopting an animal not only saves a life, but demonstrates compassion, and the companion animal overpopulation crisis deserves attention from all Americans. Every animal purchased from a breeder or a pet shop takes a home away from a needy animal at an animal shelter, waiting and hoping for a chance at the American dream of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," writes Newkirk. And she even has an idea for what the national dog should be: mutts. PETA adds that it appears the senator is considering their idea and will adopt a mixed breed. Of course, he could ask Sen. John McCain for advice. He has a mutt and a purebred.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Tough guy? hmm maybe not. But I guran-goddamn-tee you i woulda stabbed that motherfuker for snorin too loud too.

And I pray all you chicken shits run off the bus screamin too so i can get my stab on.

Bitches.
Sick Balls!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Boogahz wrote:
Truant wrote:Regardless, I would hope that in a similar situation that I would be able to react and help...but I'm not going to sit here and shit all over those people who actually were in that situation and didn't for whatever various reasons.
That's the thing. I only responded directly to the people that seemed to think the reaction I would have had was stupid. I also said I was unable to understand how all 40 people (which I now know also included 6 children) could have just run away. Like I mentioned, I have been in a similar situation. I know what my reaction would be. To tell me that my reaction is stupid because someone else could get hurt by it makes no sense to me.
Thing is Boog, in some instances a blind reaction can be stupid. I was never in the military, but in my field, which involves dealing with dangerous/poisonous/flammable chemicals, we are heavily indoctrinated NOT to react but to fall back, assess and then act when we know what the situation entails. We're taught the number one killer of rescuers, be they professional (fire fighters, cops and EMTs) or less well trained ones, is "tunnel vision" focusing on the immediate needs of a victim who may or may not be able to be saved. I'm not condemning you but just pointing out that where your actions may have saved a guys life in one instance, they could get you and others killed in other scenarios. In this instance, I sort of agree with you that someone might have been able to do something to subdue the guy but by the reports he killed his victim pretty fast so what would really have been accomplished in the end, except possibly more casualties if he managed to stab a possible subduer? Regardless of what they did, this outcome wasn't going to get any better.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I think PETA should be beheaded
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:I think PETA should be beheaded
I think I would run away instead of attempting to assist in that situation.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Boogahz wrote:
miir wrote:I think PETA should be beheaded
I think I would run away instead of attempting to assist in that situation.
:lol:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Speaking of the Westboro Baptist Church.. They were planning on picketing the victim's funeral.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story ... otest.html

I say fuck yeah to my government for issuing the order to keep those hatemongers out of the country.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

They should get beheaded....all of them... one by one...
Timmah.

Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Religious wack jobs at their finest.
Homercles
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Homercles »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,401821,00.html

to help or not to help? That is the question.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fucking animals.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I hope they start by ripping out the guy on the right's lip ring (looks like he has one anyhow), and then really get down to business.