What do you think about the world?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: Obama WILL be the next president

Post by Tyek »

I keep seeing Jesse Jackson crying on tv. Crocodile tears as he tells himself...

"It should have been me. I wanted to be first dammit."
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Tyek wrote:I keep seeing Jesse Jackson crying on tv. Crocodile tears as he tells himself...

After all of the shit that this man experienced, the changes he fought for, seeing Martin Luther King assassinated from just yards away, and how far this country's attitudes on race have come during his lifetime, you can't understand why he and millions of other black citizens might be a little misty-eyed, you have no soul.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

It's nice to have a reason to be proud to be an American again. This is truly an historic night, and I'm so proud to have been able to contribute to it.

Here's hoping we'll no longer be the laughing stock of the world community; even with all the good we're doing in spite of what this horrific administration has done to our world image.

McCain's concession speech was a beautiful thing. I agree the comments about Palin were on the ridiculous side, but he's done a lot of things he's had to do in this election. In general I think McCain is a very good man and it was more disappointing than anything to see how he had to compromise some of his values and ideals to get his party's nomination. He couldn't have been any more gentlemanly, professional or American in the manner he conceded.

I'm also extremely happy for African Americans. Seeing Jesse Jackson (who I don't particularly like) cry, and other notable civil rights leaders weigh in on the significance of this day was wonderful. It's nice to live in a country where more than lip service is being paid to, 'all men are created equal'.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Zaelath wrote:I'll let Midnyte pick my avatar for 6 months if the USA elects a black(ish) man to the Presidency.

Obama might well win the primaries, but an actual election? The current hybrid of potato and chimp you have in office could beat him if he was found cornholing Tom Cruise in his office.
Midnyte, want to call in this?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Xatrei wrote:
Tyek wrote:I keep seeing Jesse Jackson crying on tv. Crocodile tears as he tells himself...

After all of the shit that this man experienced, the changes he fought for, seeing Martin Luther King assassinated from just yards away, and how far this country's attitudes on race have come during his lifetime, you can't understand why he and millions of other black citizens might be a little misty-eyed, you have no soul.
Actually the wife and I were discussing how we could NEVER understand the pride, amazement and emotions that a 75 year old black person must be feeling. Even a 30 year old.

My comment was targeted at Jesse Jackson, who on several occasions during this election run was caught disparaging Obama. Jesse has spent the last 30 years being about Jesse and any good he created was just to make himself look better.

I am proud to be an American tonight, but I stand by what I said about Jesse. We have a long way to go and I hope Obama is able to accomplish even half of what he wants to accomplish.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

That was one hell of a speech Obama just gave. I'm very happy for you guys that you will soon have a president that actually is presidential and can inspire people to the level that this election has shown. Here's hoping the next 4 years go well.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

This is one of those moments in your life that you're going to remember. Whatever happens going forward, history was made tonight.

I still stand by my belief that Obama is the Robert F. Kennedy of this generation.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Is it okay for a cracker to be misty-eyed?

'Cause I fuckin' am.

YES WE CAN!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh look it's Noel. Welcome back! Unless this is a 1-time visit kind of thing. Now we need a Voronwe post.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

It is an amazing night, we had the kids watch the speeches and explained the significance of what they were seeing.

It's hard not to get caught up in the moment.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

BTW sorry to ruin a nice thread but what happened to Funk?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Tyek wrote:Actually the wife and I were discussing how we could NEVER understand the pride, amazement and emotions that a 75 year old black person must be feeling. Even a 30 year old.

My comment was targeted at Jesse Jackson, who on several occasions during this election run was caught disparaging Obama. Jesse has spent the last 30 years being about Jesse and any good he created was just to make himself look better.

I am proud to be an American tonight, but I stand by what I said about Jesse. We have a long way to go and I hope Obama is able to accomplish even half of what he wants to accomplish.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no great fan of Jackson. He is often a bombastic, self-serving tool, particularly during the last 20-30 years. Even so, I still am not cynical enough - even about him - to credit his tears to anything other than the awesome change that tonight represents from the time in which he grew up, and the world he experienced as an activist through the civil rights movement.

Like you, I can't begin to fathom the power of this moment for African Americans, especially those old enough to have experienced one of the most embarrassing facets of this country's history, but even I get a little close to being weepy at the joy expressed by the extremely diverse crowds at the various celebrations around the country - especially there in Chicago.
Hah - I've been wondering the same thing lately, but didn't want to ask the question for fear that it would draw him back to the board hah. It's almost a month since his last post.
Last edited by Xatrei on November 5, 2008, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tyek wrote:BTW sorry to ruin a nice thread but what happened to Funk?
Why'd you have to go there? I think the answer is: Who cares? I'm sure he'll pop up again if Obama starts fucking things up.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Damn, that man can give a speech. It was amazing. I was actually tearing up without even realizing it. My heart is swelling with American pride right now. My flag goes up tomorrow!
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on November 5, 2008, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

good stuff.

lol on fox going to family guy reruns A.S.A.P.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm honestly just happy to have a President who speaks English above a 5th grade level. He's so well spoken! :lol:
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Xatrei wrote:
Tyek wrote:Actually the wife and I were discussing how we could NEVER understand the pride, amazement and emotions that a 75 year old black person must be feeling. Even a 30 year old.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no great fan of Jackson. He is often a bombastic, self-serving tool, particularly during the last 20-30 years. Even so, I still am not cynical enough - even about him - to credit his tears to anything other than the awesome change that tonight represents from the time in which he grew up, and the world he experienced as an activist through the civil rights movement.

Like you, I can't begin to fathom the power of this moment for African Americans, especially those old enough to have experienced one of the most embarrassing facets of this country's history, but even I get a little close to being weepy at the joy expressed by the extremely diverse crowds at the various celebrations around the country - especially there in Chicago.
Hah - I've been wondering the same thing lately, but didn't want to ask the question for fear that it would draw him back to the board hah. It's almost a month since his last post.
Yeah there was no malice in my comments for anyone but Jackson and Sharpton. Sorry if it sounded like anything but that.

We have been trying to use this election time to teach our children about the process and also to come up with their own opinions. We have taught them not to run from opposing positions, otherwise they may never know what they truely believe. If you only hear half of the story, how can you make an informed choice...

As for Funk, maybe he finally spit on the wrong guy.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PRESIDENT-ELECT BARACK OBAMA wrote:
If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

Its the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen; by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the very first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different; that their voice could be that difference.

Its the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled - Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America.

Its the answer that led those who have been told for so long by so many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day.

Its been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America.

I just received a very gracious call from Senator McCain. He fought long and hard in this campaign, and hes fought even longer and harder for the country he loves. He has endured sacrifices for America that most of us cannot begin to imagine, and we are better off for the service rendered by this brave and selfless leader. I congratulate him and Governor Palin for all they have achieved, and I look forward to working with them to renew this nations promise in the months ahead.

I want to thank my partner in this journey, a man who campaigned from his heart and spoke for the men and women he grew up with on the streets of Scranton and rode with on that train home to Delaware, the Vice President-elect of the United States, Joe Biden.

I would not be standing here tonight without the unyielding support of my best friend for the last sixteen years, the rock of our family and the love of my life, our nations next First Lady, Michelle Obama. Sasha and Malia, I love you both so much, and you have earned the new puppy thats coming with us to the White House. And while shes no longer with us, I know my grandmother is watching, along with the family that made me who I am. I miss them tonight, and know that my debt to them is beyond measure.

To my campaign manager David Plouffe, my chief strategist David Axelrod, and the best campaign team ever assembled in the history of politics - you made this happen, and I am forever grateful for what youve sacrificed to get it done.

But above all, I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to - it belongs to you.

I was never the likeliest candidate for this office. We didnt start with much money or many endorsements. Our campaign was not hatched in the halls of Washington - it began in the backyards of Des Moines and the living rooms of Concord and the front porches of Charleston.

It was built by working men and women who dug into what little savings they had to give five dollars and ten dollars and twenty dollars to this cause. It grew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generations apathy; who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep; from the not-so-young people who braved the bitter cold and scorching heat to knock on the doors of perfect strangers; from the millions of Americans who volunteered, and organized, and proved that more than two centuries later, a government of the people, by the people and for the people has not perished from this Earth. This is your victory.

I know you didnt do this just to win an election and I know you didnt do it for me. You did it because you understand the enormity of the task that lies ahead. For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime - two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century. Even as we stand here tonight, we know there are brave Americans waking up in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to risk their lives for us. There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after their children fall asleep and wonder how theyll make the mortgage, or pay their doctors bills, or save enough for college. There is new energy to harness and new jobs to be created; new schools to build and threats to meet and alliances to repair.

The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there.

There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who wont agree with every decision or policy I make as President, and we know that government cant solve every problem. But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And above all, I will ask you join in the work of remaking this nation the only way its been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years - block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.

What began twenty-one months ago in the depths of winter must not end on this autumn night. This victory alone is not the change we seek - it is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It cannot happen without you.

So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other. Let us remember that if this financial crisis taught us anything, its that we cannot have a thriving Wall Street while Main Street suffers - in this country, we rise or fall as one nation; as one people.

Let us resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long. Let us remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House - a party founded on the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity. Those are values we all share, and while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress. As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, We are not enemies, but friends…though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn - I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too.

And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world - our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand. To those who would tear this world down - we will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security - we support you. And to all those who have wondered if Americas beacon still burns as bright - tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope.

For that is the true genius of America - that America can change. Our union can be perfected. And what we have already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow.

This election had many firsts and many stories that will be told for generations. But one thats on my mind tonight is about a woman who cast her ballot in Atlanta. Shes a lot like the millions of others who stood in line to make their voice heard in this election except for one thing - Ann Nixon Cooper is 106 years old.

She was born just a generation past slavery; a time when there were no cars on the road or planes in the sky; when someone like her couldnt vote for two reasons - because she was a woman and because of the color of her skin.

And tonight, I think about all that shes seen throughout her century in America - the heartache and the hope; the struggle and the progress; the times we were told that we cant, and the people who pressed on with that American creed: Yes we can.

At a time when womens voices were silenced and their hopes dismissed, she lived to see them stand up and speak out and reach for the ballot. Yes we can.

When there was despair in the dust bowl and depression across the land, she saw a nation conquer fear itself with a New Deal, new jobs and a new sense of common purpose. Yes we can.

When the bombs fell on our harbor and tyranny threatened the world, she was there to witness a generation rise to greatness and a democracy was saved. Yes we can.

She was there for the buses in Montgomery, the hoses in Birmingham, a bridge in Selma, and a preacher from Atlanta who told a people that We Shall Overcome. Yes we can.

A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. And this year, in this election, she touched her finger to a screen, and cast her vote, because after 106 years in America, through the best of times and the darkest of hours, she knows how America can change. Yes we can.

America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves - if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we cant, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes We Can. Thank you, God bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Inspirational speach. I hope we will do well in the next four years. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Watch for a leap in the stock market tomorrow, and lets hope he can get the job done. He can't fix our problems in 4 years, but if he can at least get the ball rolling in the right direction thats a good thing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm always proud to be an American but especially so during our elections. While not in total agreement with Obama's platform, it's clear that his election brings a sense of hope to the majority of both Americans and citizens of other countries around the world. I don't believe there will ever be peace in the Middle East but perhaps the United States will find it easier working with the rest of the world while addressing security and economic issues with Obama as president.

Lets hope he finishes out his service to America without incident.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Winnow wrote:Lets hope he finishes out his service to America without incident.
This is my great fear for Obama, and frankly if it happens it will break my heart.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

noel wrote:
Winnow wrote:Lets hope he finishes out his service to America without incident.
This is my great fear for Obama, and frankly if it happens it will break my heart.
I agree.. Even during his speech I was wishing he would get off the stage.

Obama Victory Speech

--
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Congratulations to all of the Obama supporters here- well done!

As a proud American, even though I did not vote for him, I will offer my support to him and wish him the best.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Glad to see my vote counted! I hear Obama's first order of business is to take away Kilmoll's guns...
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Ding Obama!

Grats
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Congratulations, guys. Warms my cockles it does.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Yesterday was easily the happiest day of my life.

I'm still so fucking happy! :D
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

For those that can't see how different the Austin area is from the rest of Texas...

Travis County (Austin area) numbers:
Obama 64.12%
McCain 34.6%
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Austin should try to succeed from Texas' electoral votes to have their own!

It is exciting...that's for sure...but its a long fucken road out of where we are right now. I'm confident in Obama and Biden.

Virginia went blue, my vote counted...good Lord.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Funk and Fash and all the rest decided to quit posting here entirely. Gratz on your goal of being 100% liberal across the board! I decided to just put every single annoying liberal on ignore, so unless you are one of the very few people I chose to leave unblocked, I don't have to read your responses!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Am I an annoying liberal?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Since I'm sure Kilmoll won't see your question, Spang, I'll answer in a format you'll appreciate.

YES YOU ARE!

:lol:
- Ash
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

8)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kluden wrote:Austin should try to succeed from Texas' electoral votes to have their own!
eh? I am guessing the word you were looking for was secede?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Contact Todd about that. He'll give you some pointers. And I think we all know who we're talking about here.

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ashur wrote:Since I'm sure Kilmoll won't see your question, Spang, I'll answer in a format you'll appreciate.

YES YOU ARE!

:lol:
You are correct Ash! He is indeed on my now expansive list of blocked idiots! It is quite refreshing and I highly recommend it to you as well.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

At least you're still here (albeit with blinders on so you can't see half the population). That's a lot better than doing the whole I'M TAKING MY TOYS AND GOING HOME-approach. Hopefully we can still engage in some fairly open-minded debate from time to time.

Oh and congratulations on your new president, I know you don't think so, but you got the better deal.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I only blocked the rabid blathering idiots and their yipping lapdog aslanna. That pretty much left about 7 of your lefties that I can stand to talk to. Basically that list is down to Drolgin, Xyun, Sueven, Aardor, Sylvus, and Truant who cannot be blocked due to moderator status.

As for better president, well I would still disagree wholeheartedly. My view is not because I think McCain would have been great, it is because I pretty well think Obama is going to be the single most left oriented President in history and he worries me GREATLY on issues that I actually give a shit about. Couple that with a HUGE Dem control in Congress and I have a seriously bad feeling about this reign.

Oh btw Xyun.....I did NOT vote for Bush although I did back him over the candidates the Dems threw out. I still think he did better than they would have on a good 70% of the issues that appeared during his terms.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:I only blocked the rabid blathering idiots and their yipping lapdog aslanna. That pretty much left about 7 of your lefties that I can stand to talk to. Basically that list is down to Drolgin, Xyun, Sueven, Aardor, Sylvus, and Truant who cannot be blocked due to moderator status.

As for better president, well I would still disagree wholeheartedly. My view is not because I think McCain would have been great, it is because I pretty well think Obama is going to be the single most left oriented President in history and he worries me GREATLY on issues that I actually give a shit about. Couple that with a HUGE Dem control in Congress and I have a seriously bad feeling about this reign.

Oh btw Xyun.....I did NOT vote for Bush although I did back him over the candidates the Dems threw out. I still think he did better than they would have on a good 70% of the issues that appeared during his terms.

Actually going to have to agree with Kilmoll on this one... My biggest concern with voting for Obama (which I didnt) was the fact that Democrats were going to dominate the house and senate and I still believe that there should be a balance of power... It bothers me know that they now have control of all three.

I hope to hell that this doesnt turn into a nightmare.
Timmah.

valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I decided to just put every single annoying liberal on ignore, so unless you are one of the very few people I chose to leave unblocked, I don't have to read your responses!
So in other words... "lalalalalalalalalalalallalalaalalalalal" I can't hear you...
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:I only blocked the rabid blathering idiots and their yipping lapdog aslanna. That pretty much left about 7 of your lefties that I can stand to talk to. Basically that list is down to Drolgin, Xyun, Sueven, Aardor, Sylvus, and Truant who cannot be blocked due to moderator status.

move to canada if you don't like it. :lol:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I pretty well think Obama is going to be the single most left oriented President in history and he worries me GREATLY on issues that I actually give a shit about.
If you were to compare Obama and the US Democratic party to Canadian political parties, they would be considered centrist... To the right on some issues and a little to the left on other issues.

The fear of a socialism that was hammered on by the McCain campaign was pretty off base... although I think 'USSA' has a nice ring to it. :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Need I remind you that the Bush administration had control of all of government? The argument (I hear it everyday at work) that its ok for Republicans to control both branches but its dangerous and detrimental if Democrats do is pretty ludicrous if you believe in the balance of power. I don't like gridlock in the government because then nothing gets done. So for 6 years we had absolute control by Republicans, then 2 years of gridlock, and now we will have (at least) 4 years of Democratic control.

We survived the Bush years, at great cost to our country. But I gotta say, being a part of the majority feels so damn good. The only thing I'm not happy about today is that it looks like Al Franken may lose in Minnesota. There may be a run off. Also, Dems didn't get close to 60 senators so you still have the filibuster.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xyun wrote:

Need I remind you that the Bush administration had control of all of government? The argument (I hear it everyday at work) that its ok for Republicans to control both branches but its dangerous and detrimental if Democrats do is pretty ludicrous if you believe in the balance of power. I don't like gridlock in the government because then nothing gets done. So for 6 years we had absolute control by Republicans, then 2 years of gridlock, and now we will have (at least) 4 years of Democratic control.

We survived the Bush years, at great cost to our country. But I gotta say, being a part of the majority feels so damn good. The only thing I'm not happy about today is that it looks like Al Franken may lose in Minnesota. There may be a run off. Also, Dems didn't get close to 60 senators so you still have the filibuster.

Oh you don't have to remind me. It is the reason the Dems got the Congressional control two years ago. Quite frankly there needs to be an end to this 2 party system entirely. There needs to either be a viable 3rd party or an entire overhaul of our system where parties are eliminated and candidates stand on their own views and platforms and the big money does not stand behind them pushing them to conform.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Too bad Kilmoll now has me on ignore.

I agree with him, for once.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Spang wrote:Too bad Kilmoll now has me on ignore.

I agree with him, for once.

Now he knows!
Timmah.

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Is there any good reason to have candidates be able to accept money from lobbyists?

I struggle to think of one. If these people want to give their money to politicians so badly, they should put it into a large pool that politicians can use to run their campaigns.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

While I have a positive outlook about the new setup, I agree that there indeed needs to be a viable 3rd party. There should not be a need to worry about 'too much power'.

Look on the bright side though, now we can finally be rid of Ted Nugent. :P
en kærlighed småkager