Gotham

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Gotham

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Solid pilot. I recommend it to anyone especially those who enjoy Batman/Gotham related stories. It is creating it's own version of pre-Batman Gotham, with some new characters and tweaks on origins, but it definitely respects the legacy of the comics and characters. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Gotham

Post by Winnow »

I need to give it a few more episodes. Too may characters introduced in the first episode which was acknowledged by the director.

I guess we'll be calling Cat Woman a "cougar" if she hooks up with Bruce. I think they should have made young Bruce Wayne in his late teens or early 20's. His current age is a little too young to be dealing with Batman type villains. Poison Ivy is like 8 years old. Not all comic characters need young versions. It worked well for Smallville but the origin stories for a lot of Batman's villains came about in their adult lives (Two-Face, Joker).

It's an alternate version of Batman but I don't know if it's a good idea. Batman is more dark and gritty than Superman. Even Arrow deals with mid 20's characters.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I liked it. Yeah, quite an overload of characters in the pilot, and they really could have hit home by being subtle about said introductions. It was handled in a very ham-fisted fashion.

That said, I thought the pacing, camera work, dialog and most of the characters were really well done. Jada Pinkett Smith was yowza as well. It was also nice to see King Horik from Vikings! He is a great counterpoint to Gordon.

Hoping Batman stays in the background for the most part since Batman, well, is dreadfully boring.
en kærlighed småkager
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

At this point I'm still watching, but I feel like they've made James Gordon a bit too generic and boring(partly casting). I also know that he ends up being a hero, so this 'struggle' he has between the dark and light every episode gets boring. I want more of Bullock. That is a character that even as a Batman fan I still don't quite know. He has been a hero and has done some horrible shit, but it somehow fits his moral code. Would like to see more of him and his dealings with the good and bad in Gotham and the sacrifices and choices he has to make to keep the city going. Maybe that is a show for a different market and network, but I sure as fuck would watch it.

Aside from that I enjoy the Penguin storyline so far. I know who he becomes, but it's exciting and satisfying to see the steps he takes. He's an underdog in a dark world and goes from omega to alpha of the pack. I always fall for a warm and fuzzy underdog story like that!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Still OK. Looks like they trimmed some of the story lines out of this episode. Makes it a bit less jumbled. Bulloch and Penguin are the interesting ones for sure. Gordon is pretty good. Way better if they get rid of the ridiculous fiance Barbara. What is the point of that character, aside from rehashing Jim's day with a glass of wine? Need a little bit less Batboy as well.

Otherwise, the show has promise!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote: Gordon is pretty good. Way better if they get rid of the ridiculous fiance Barbara. What is the point of that character, aside from rehashing Jim's day with a glass of wine? Need a little bit less Batboy as well.
The point of that character is that she's required in order to get pregnant and pop out Batgirl. We'll see Batgirl (later named Oracle after she's shot and paralyzed) in action around season 16.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ah. So she has a future point. This is unfortunate. I can't decide if she is just a piss poor actor or simply a victim of the writing. Maybe both?
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This show is still solid. Penguin is devious.

Even Gordon's wife character improved slightly.

Only issue I have is that the police force is completely useless. They are totally dominated by gangsters even right out in the open in their own building. I understand there needs to be widespread corruption but right now it's a little over the top.

Good acting from Gordon, his partner and several other actors in this show.