Godzilla 2014

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Godzilla 2014

Post by Bubba Grizz »

This movie was really done well. I liked it a lot. It still had the feeling from the original black and white movies. At least for me.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Godzilla 2014

Post by Kluden »

I'm excited to see it, just haven't had time. plus spiderman...and xmen coming out...too much shit to see at the theatre.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Here is my non spoiler review. This is how I'm describing it to people.

It felt like a human movie with monsters in it, not like a monster movie with humans in it. Does that make sense? Also, it wasn't as fun as I was anticipating. I did enjoy it though.

I took my Father in law, stepfather, and adopted brother out to lunch and an IMAX 3D showing last Saturday. They all really liked it.

It made so much goddamn money, they announced a sequel before the opening weekend was over.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Is there at any point a Japanese person that explains "GOJIRRA!!"? If not, I'll pass.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The director did a good job I guess as he's been picked to do the first Star Wars Side Story movie that will come out in 2016.
Gareth Edwards will be directing the first stand-alone “Star Wars” movie, which will hit theaters on December 16, 2016, one year after the eagerly awaited “Star Wars: Episode VII,” Lucasfilm announced late Thursday.

Earlier this month, Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed there would be at at least three spinoff movies, spread out between entries in the new trilogy.

The Force is definitely strong in Edwards, who is fresh off “Godzilla’s” beastly $93.1 million opening weekend. His only other feature credit is 2010’s “Monster.”
They're supposed to be "origin" stories of the main characters.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

It makes sense that they made this more of a human drama/thriller with a monster in it than an all out monster extravaganza. It's what so many franchises have tried to do ever since Batman Begins.

I'm a bit torn on this movie. On the one hand I think they leaned a bit too heavily on the human drama. On the other however I can't say I would have enjoyed a big monster spectacle any more than I did this. I feel like Pacific Rim beat Godzilla to the rocket-propelled punch when it comes to that.

The other thing is that while the original was a monster spectacle, it carried a very real, human message. Honestly, this film feels more in line with the original production than the vast majority of the sequels and spin-offs from Japan. To me many of those are more in line with Power Rangers than the original.

I would give it a C+ or high 70s for those who prefer digits.