Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Defiance TV Series

Post by Winnow »

WTF?

The MMO sucks. The pilot for TV series was as good as the game.

The writing is horrible. Tera Nova was a masterpiece compared to this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2189221/

The premiere of Defiance on Monday night was seen by 2.7 million viewers and 1.3 million adults 18-49. That made Defiance the network’s most-watched telecast since 2009 (a two-hour episode of Warehouse 13) and its top scripted series premiere among adults 18-49 since 2006 (Eureka).

Syfy unveiled an online open-world game version of the show on April 2 as part of its cross-platform strategy (Defiance: It’s a TV show! It’s a game! It’s both!). Syfy isn’t releasing the number of players who have signed up, but did note that players have logged more than 6 million hours of gameplay since it went live.

Beginning next Monday, Defiance will assume its regular 9 p.m. time period. On April 29 it will be joined by the return of Warehouse 13 at 10 p.m.

Defiance has been billed by some as the next Firefly or Battlestar Galactica (or at least the next Caprica). What did you think?
no.

I'll watch the first episode but I'm pretty sure I can write this one off. I don't see how it can overcome a combination of bad acting, bad writing, and laughable special effects. If anyone watched the pilot, let me know if you make it past the first 5 minutes when they start singing in the vehicle.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Defiance TV Series

Post by Funkmasterr »

The MMO is pretty fun actually, it's all I've played for a few weeks now. Go ahead and go on a big douchey rant about why it's terrible now though, I know you want to.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

He probably doesn't like it because there are no half naked underage girls in it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:The MMO is pretty fun actually, it's all I've played for a few weeks now. Go ahead and go on a big douchey rant about why it's terrible now though, I know you want to.
It was pretty rough around the edges and the quests, etc weren't working well. I don't actively hate it like some other things. I'm pretty wrapped up in Wildstar beta right now which probably won't be released for another 6 months. There are a lot of cool new ideas in Wildstar. Besides your class, you pick a profession of Soldier, Explorer, Scientist or Settler. Besides Soldier, the other three professions have been a lot of fun as a side to the main storyline. Also, the crafting skills are even a little more fun than usual. Instead of mining a boulder, you'll get things pop out of mining deposits like an "iron worm" that burrows into the ground, dropping you into a cave system full of ore which you can mine like mad until you get booted out. It's a long way from being finished but I can already see it has some fresh ideas to make combat, exploring and crafting entertaining.

Defiance seemed pretty generic with blocky graphics. Think of it like other games based off of movies, but in this case a TV series....generally not that good. I like a good story to go along with an MMO I plan to play awhile. Defiance MMO wasn't very inspiring in that department. If there weren't other options and you're playing with friends, I'm sure it can be entertaining. Maybe the end game gets better.

Try watching the TV Pilot.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's fun, and no more repetitive than any other mmo. Difference is you don't have any crafting to feel like you need to do (I fundamentally detest crafting), no over complicate raids that require absurd planning. No major time sinks that you have to be able to dedicate hours on end to. The graphics aren't the best, but they aren't that bad and certainly aren't bad enough to detract from a game.

Aside from guild wars 2 - it's the only mmo that I've been able to play extremely casually and still have fun doing and make progress. I have several friends I play with that are also really enjoying it. It's cool that new content gets added with every episode ight show, even if its nothing major - it adds variety and adds to the story.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

double postage
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on April 19, 2013, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Haven't played the game, but the show is not good. If they thought this was the next BSG or Firefly they were way off. There is not a single character from the show that I give a shit about. It has none of the charm of Firefly and none of the depth or drama of BSG. Outside of a couple characters the casting/acting is terrible. Bring back Caprica or Stargate Universe, cause this show makes the shitty made-for-Syfy movies look really fucking good.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

When they started playing some sort of elevator/lounge lizard version of Nirvana's "Come as you are" during the funeral near the end of episode 2, I threw up a little in my mouth.

So bad.

Does SyFy plaster ADs in two corners of the screen all the time? There's the big SyFy logo in the bottom left corner with three lines of text above it pimping upcoming shows and then the name of the show currently on "Defiance" in the upper right corner. Annoying.

The show is 95% garbage, full of cliches and bad writing. The costume budget for the show must be realkly really low.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This crappy show has been renewed for season 2 and 13 more episodes

I've watched 4 episodes so far. It's really not good at all but I'm starved for Sci-fi shows.
SyFy and Trion World's crossmedia experiment seems to be a hit in both intereactive and non-interactive form, with more than a million active accounts in than a million registered accounts for the MMO and nearly four million viewers tuning in for the television series premier. Today Syfy has announced that it's renewed the TV series for another 13 episodes starting in 2014, despite it being pretty damn mediocre so far.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/05/17/tr ... ve-layoffs

The MMO developer has been hit with up to 80% layoffs.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Episode 11 was actually decent. Still crappy overall but there are a few interesting storylines.

For some reason they feel compelled to play an elevator version of popular songs at the end of shows. This episode they played a version of Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time...it was horrible.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm six episodes into season 2 of this series and liking it more.

Talk about a show that takes a long time to get into. It had some growing pains. The odd song endings to early shows in season one "come as you are" Nirvana twisted into some sort of drama song was vomit inducing but this show gets better. It takes a leap of faith to make it through the first three or four episodes.

Season 2 is an improvement. It still has all sorts of flaws but a few of the characters are great, including the main character. I doubt it will make it past season 2 but I'll be watching it.

Maybe someday worth marathon watching when you have the flu.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not sure what to say about this show except that I keep watching it.

It has some oddball/hokey parts but then every so often are some great parts. Whether the story overall is enjoyable or not is still up in the air even after a season and a half but the character development and story continues to intrigue.

William Atherton, Professor Hathaway from Real Genius (1985), has a more prominent role in season 2. He typically plays the asshole in shows (Ghostbusters' Walter Peck), he plays a more refined asshole in Defiance and this last episode really fleshed out his character.

This is something about 15-20% of you might enjoy that are already sci-fi TV show fans. I'm going to enjoy season 2 as I find it hard to believe it makes it to a season3. Too strange for the masses. They have season 3 and 4 already mapped out if it does survive.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I lasted the entire three seasons.

Has ANY show ever ended well? The ending for Defiance sucked as bad as most (BSG, etc)

I'd say Season Two was the best and entertaining. Season One had growing pains and Season Three lost its way.

Recommendation: Find a Season One five minute summary and then watch Season Two, forget Season Three.

Like HEROES, Battlestar Gallactica and Lost, among others, good shows are forgotten due to crap endings but they are most definitely worth watching up to a point. The suckage is strong in Defiance but you can squeeze out a few good episodes.