Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Star Wars 7 announced (for reals!)

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney- ... asfilm-ltd

Quote:
In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years. We're very happy that George Lucas will be creative consultant on our new Star Wars films and that Kathleen Kennedy, the current Co-Chair of Lucasfilm, will executive produce. George handpicked Kathy earlier this year to lead Lucasfilm into the future. She'll join Disney as President of Lucasfilm, reporting into Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn and integrating and building the Star Wars franchise across our company.

---

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Rele ... 28436.html

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Star Wars 7 announced (for reals!)

Everything about my post is better than Winnow's.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Only if you could learn to
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:Only if you could learn to
But I wasn't using the quote function. It is formatted just how I want it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

All they need now is Ron Howard to complete the inoffensive/risk-averse/non-visionary trifecta! :)
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Canelek wrote:All they need now is Ron Howard to complete the inoffensive/risk-averse/non-visionary trifecta! :)
You forgot derivative. With Ron Howard aboard, we could look forward to a Disney-fied reboot of Willow.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Derivative, sure. Bland, absolutely. Honestly though, aside from a select few moments in Episode 3, all those prequels sucked hard.

I think they need to deviate and hit up Shadows of the empire or the Heir to the Empire series. So much cool shit between 5 and 6, as well as what happens after the second death star and all of the contractors are blown up.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

And all of those prequels came with Lucas as the writer/director. With him only on board as a "creative consultant", we can get back to the glory of Empire, perhaps.

I'm happy for this news.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

There hasn't been a good Star Wars movie yet, highly doubt this will change.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I could get really hyped up about Kingdom Hearts on Tattoine.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Not sure why people think Disney is going to 'Disney-fy' Star Wars.
You don't pay $4b for something only to fuck with it.
Disney didn't fuck with Pixar or Marvel.
I bet most people didn't even notice that Avengers was a Disney movie.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: I bet most people didn't even notice that Avengers was a Disney movie.
I did!

I knew it was Disney but didn't see why it mattered.

I figure the last trio of Star Wars movies (that take place after the original three) have a chance to be good.

I hated the second trio of Star Wars movies released, loved the first 2.5 movies. (Ewoks were a bit much)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

miir wrote:Not sure why people think Disney is going to 'Disney-fy' Star Wars.
I don't think they'll mess with the formula much as, like you say, they'd be fools to do it. If anything, with Lucas out of direct control of the writing, they might even manage to improve the story. My only minor concern with Disney's involvement is that they might try to milk the franchise too hard with the end result being too many products (film, TV and other media) diluting quality and fan interest. A $4bn investment comes with high performance expectations.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'm cautiously optimistic.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

First off, weren't all Star Wars rated PG except for 3? I get the Hans Shoots First thing may not happen, but I don't see Disney messing with it at all.

Secondly, with Lucas gone, there can really be room for some more character driven stories here that include actual to goodness decent dialogue and comprehensible writing skills. ILM is in, so, visually, I'm pretty sure we're good here. However, Disney has made no secret that they are going to whore out this franchise like a dimestore pimp, so, the chance that the quality will be shitty, or on par with the prequels, is pretty high.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Xatrei wrote:
miir wrote:Not sure why people think Disney is going to 'Disney-fy' Star Wars.
I don't think they'll mess with the formula much as, like you say, they'd be fools to do it. If anything, with Lucas out of direct control of the writing, they might even manage to improve the story. My only minor concern with Disney's involvement is that they might try to milk the franchise too hard with the end result being too many products (film, TV and other media) diluting quality and fan interest. A $4bn investment comes with high performance expectations.
Milk it too hard? You mean to say that LucasArts dropping all their adventure games to focus on STar Wars shooters, or the new Angry Birds Star Wars was not enough to quality as milking?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Harrison Ford on the Jimmie Kimmell show:

http://youtu.be/7T0vs9gYydo

The skit is kinda funny but Harrison Ford is really looking and sounding old. He almost sounds close to dementia. 35 years after the original SW may be a little too late to be bringing back the original crew, even for a brief appearance. If Han Luke and Leia do make appearances, I hope they are brief and tactful, with no action scenes. Mark Hamill is probably best prepared with all of the voice acting he's done. Carrie Fischer is a borderline nut job (I read her book, Wishful Drinking)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:The skit is kinda funny but Harrison Ford is really looking and sounding old. He almost sounds close to dementia. 35 years after the original SW may be a little too late to be bringing back the original crew, even for a brief appearance. If Han Luke and Leia do make appearances, I hope they are brief and tactful, with no action scenes. Mark Hamill is probably best prepared with all of the voice acting he's done. Carrie Fischer is a borderline nut job (I read her book, Wishful Drinking)
Well he is almost 71 years old so it makes sense that he'd look and sound that way. I don't see a problem with having them in #7 just to "finish out" their stories or whatever.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Well he is almost 71 years old
So he's 70.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Depends on when you read this. In a few months he wont be 70!

--
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

There is indeed a role for them in the next movie. Not as main characters obviously though. Luke would have a Yoda role where he is in charge of the new Jedi Temple and Han is there helping out.

This is what I would love to see. I don't know how you can fit in Carrie Fischer in the movie though. She looks like a train wreck.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Here is the plot of the next movie.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... video.html
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cast of Star Wars 35 years later. I like the ide of the original cast playing a role in the new movie but I hope they do it tactfully. Chewbacca lost all of his facial hair. Mark Hamill looks like he'd play a good Obi Wan type character in his old age.

That's a pretty funny video you posted bubba!

Boba Fett!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Star Wars: Episode VII to Open December 18, 2015

With pre-production in full-swing, a confirmed release date of December 18, 2015, has been set for Lucasfilm's highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII.

"We're very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture," said Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek) and is being scripted by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.
I eagerly await the blinding lens flares!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: I eagerly await the blinding lens flares!
J.J. Abrams apologizes for overusing lens flare: 'I know it's too much

J.J. Abrams is proud of the last two Star Trek films, Super 8, and Mission: Impossible III — all of which he directed. However, he is sorry for the rampant lens flares streaking across the screen in each of those films. In an interview with Crave Online, the man who will helm Star Wars: Episode VII confessed that there were so many lens flares in early cuts of Star Trek Into Darkness that he hired special effects house Industrial Light & Magic to erase some of his signature embellishments from the film.

"I know I get a lot of grief for that," Abrams admitted. "But I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool… with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize. I'm so aware of it now." The director tells Crave that he showed his wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness, "and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this."

"This is how stupid it was," Abrams said. "But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery.
Well at least it looks like he's learned his lesson! I may have already posted this somewhere else on the board previously but don't remember.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I'll watch this and probably enjoy it but as a fan of the expanded universe books that span over 40 years past the original trilogy, I'll have to treat this like people are having to treat the hobbit movies I reckon. Fun, but just not real canon.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dakanaf wrote:I'll watch this and probably enjoy it but as a fan of the expanded universe books that span over 40 years past the original trilogy, I'll have to treat this like people are having to treat the hobbit movies I reckon. Fun, but just not real canon.
I'm looking forward to some fresh faces in the Star Wars universe. It's sad but the original cast is ancient so I hope their roles are small in the first movie and then don't appear again after that. Lightening may not strike twice but if they can manage to avoid a formulaic approach leaning on special effects and focus on some serious character development in this new movie, they'll have may attention and I'll look forward to more movies. Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen were horrible. I also hope they avoid the lame costumes in the second trilogy released and go back to the look of the original three. Natalie Portman has talent but she thrives in more emo oriented roles and doesn't have the energy needed for action type roles. (I think she sucked in Thor as well), Hayden Christensen is just plain bad. Ewan McGregor also has talent but I thought he sucked as Obi-Wan. Casting choices will be huge for the upcoming Star Wars movie. I want a character driven fun movie, not an emotionless special effects piece. I'm hoping for some relative no names to be cast in the new roles, similar to the original Star Wars movie.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some really great candid shots of the Star Wars cast and crew taken by the actor that played Chewbacca:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/chewbacca- ... 42138.html
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It's not just the content he shot, he also had a really good eye on how to shoot it. Thanks for the pics. Those were great!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Harrison Ford's Injury May Have Completely Screwed Up Episode VII

it's been officially revealed that Harrison Ford's leg is broken, the rumor is he'll be sidelined for six full months — which means the movie's either getting delayed or massively rewritten.

Since Ford's Han Solo is reportedly the film's lead, the only way to make its Christmas 2015 release date — which Disney has refused to move before — is to rewrite Ford's scenes, or rewrite the script entirely."
Oops. I imagine people don't heal that quickly when they are 71-72 years old.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Star Wars is cursed. I personally would have preferred a clean break since the original actors are all ancient.

Maybe they can CGI Harrison Ford's parts. Make his body look like it wouldn't break in two if a strong gust of wind came along.

Lots of money being poured into Star Wars. Plus the original 4 Billion they spent for the franchise.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Disney would have to do something pretty drastic to not make money on this. There are still legions of nerds out there willing to pay for a taste of George Lucas' table scraps.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Teaser #2 is out! Just thought you should know...