Looper

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Looper

Post by Winnow »

I barely know anything about this movie but I'm counting on it being good. All I know is there's time travel involved.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Looper

Post by Canelek »

It's been getting solid reviews (solid meaning the reviewers are not quote-whores/worthless Ebert-style film nonces).

Trailer looks good. Good cast...worth a shot...as long as it isn't really Freejack 2!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Just because Ebert thinks a movie sucks doesn't mean it doesn't!

Oh and Ebert gave it 3.5 stars. So there!
Rian Johnson's "Looper," a smart and tricky sci-fi story, sidesteps the paradoxes of time travel by embracing them. Most time travel movies run into trouble in the final scenes, when impossibilities pile up one upon another. This film leads to a startling conclusion that wipes out the story's paradoxes so neatly it's as if it never happened. You have to grin at the ingenuity of Johnson's screenplay.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I'll wait for it to turn up on Netflix.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I thought it was great; best Sci Fi movie I've seen in years. The time travel element and the problems that often come with that are definitely handled well, the script is pretty self-aware of those types of problems. Good mixture of violence, humor and boobs. A++++++ would watch again.

Go see this in the theater and support quality film-making. Original ideas are much better than rebooting The Mummy series again, and the writer/director of this wrote Brick and has directed episodes of the best show on TV (Breaking Bad) and a very good, but way-underrated, show (Terriers).
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I thought it was pretty good. I'm a fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt from the movies Brick and 10 Things I hate about You. Hats off to Bruce Willis for acting in quite a few sci fi and oddball movies during his career.

Time traveler movies are always good thinker movies. There wasn't any profound revelation about time travel in the movie but at least it made sense, except I don't think they accounted for the butterfly effect.

It has the thinking part down, but it's not quite on the action level of something like Minority Report that had a great combination of Action and Thinking. It's pretty rare to having something like that though.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Am I the only one who thought he should have
[Show]
shot off his hand or foot at the end?
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!