Luther

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Luther

Post by Zamtuk »

So, after seeing it pop up on a blog or two, I decided to give this show a try. Both season are on Netflix and are very short (6 episodes for season 1 and 4 for season 2). Holy shit, is this show good. It stars Idris Elba (Stringer Bell, yo!) as a cop, and it starts out as a pretty decent procedural. The first episode pits him against a really smart student/killer and that relationship continues throughout the season as he spends most episodes solving cases. Shit goes crazy at the end of season 1 (really shocking, and very unexpected twists), and is certainly worth a viewing. If you have a day or two to kill, knock this out on Netflix (or download, if that is still your thing).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Luther

Post by Aslanna »

Idris Elba, when asked about whether a third series is likely, said, "We'll have to see what the appetite is like for it at the end of this series. If it's a good, healthy appetite then we'll figure out how we're going to do some more." BBC One controller announced in August 2011 that a third series had been commissioned. It is expected that the lead cast from the second series will return to make four, hour-long episodes and this will air in either late 2012 or early 2013.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Yeah this was a very good series. I definitely recommend it and can't wait for more episodes.

If you're looking for more Brit crime dramas (so much better than American ones) check out 'Case Histories' starring Jason Isaacs. I watched the whole series right after I finished Luther and while it's got a different tone and style it's also very well done.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

double post. oops
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spooks is pretty food too imo. Just don't get attached to any of the characters!

I also like Lewis. And George Gently is pretty good also. Those are more slowed paced though.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, watched Luther and enjoyed it. Its far more brutal than your Inspector Lewis or George Gently works. I love all those damn bbc crime shows though, I'm a sucker.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Speaking of BBC shows....anyone watching Copper? I had it set to record on the DVR a while back, and I forgot all about it until watching Weeds last night. Is it a keeper?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Never heard of it!
The series follows a reality television documentary style. Each episode features only a small amount of narration, and the majority of screen time is devoted to on location filming with interaction to camera from the officers being filmed. This is supplemented with footage of officers talking to camera in a more formal setting, with minimal input by an interviewer. At the end of each episode, there is a summary of the outcome of the cases of many of the officers and offenders featured.
Not really my thing so I'll probably pass.

Oh and if you watch Lewis don't do it on PBS. Apparently they cut 10 minutes out or something to fit their format. Not sure how you can do that!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

:poke:

Pretty sure that was Cops :P

Seems Copper is actually a BBC-America production:
The series is BBC America's first original scripted program after previously only airing shows from the United Kingdom and co-productions. Fontana, Rokos, Barry Levinson and Christina Wayne are executive producers of the series.
The first season premiered on August 19, 2012.

The series centers on Kevin Corcoran, an Irish immigrant policeman trying to keep the peace in the historical Five Points neighborhood in 1860s New York City while searching for information on the disappearance of his wife and death of his daughter. It explores the aftermath of the American Civil War as well as the social stratification involving New York's aristocracy and African American population.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:Pretty sure that was Cops :P
Oh. I looked up Coppers with an s. Not my fault they have multiple shows with nearly identical names!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm starting to watch Copper now. I totally wasn't expecting it to be set in the United States in 1864 (even after reading the quote above!). I'm only on the first episode so far so to early to tell. It was renewed for a second season though so guess it can't be too terrible.
After naming it their "highest-rated drama series ever", BBC America has ordered a second season of 13 episodes to air in 2013

--
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

First episode of season 3 is out, and it is back on track. No Alice though, which is sad times, but she was in the preview, so hopefully she comes back soon!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Finished series 3 of Luther. Overall I thought it was pretty weak. For one thing not much Alice. And where she was I thought the story was pretty rushed and compressed.

Oh also Copper Season 2 has started!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sadly Copper Season 2 will be the last. BBC America canned it at the end of season 2 due to low ratings.

Boooo. Boooo BBC America!

--