Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

John Carter

Post by Winnow »

It's not the worst movie ever

...but it's close, considering its 250M budget.
It is estimated that John Carter cost $250m to make and it is likely that Disney spent another $100m on marketing.
Reviewing the film on BBC 5 Live, Mark Kermode said: "The story telling is incomprehensible, the characterisation is ludicrous, the story is two and a quarter hours long and it's a boring, boring, boring two and a quarter hours long."
The Hollywood Reporter says that last year's biggest flop was Mars Needs Moms, which cost $150m to make and only took $39m at the box office.
Maybe it's not a good idea to make a movie about Mars!

The Avengers is going to have to make 200M on top of it's budget just for Disney to break even.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: John Carter

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Cowboys & Aliens was extremely glad that Mars Needs Moms came out the same year because it took the heat off. I actually heard John Carter was a decent movie, unlike Cowboys & Aliens. Audience members are giving Jon Carter a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes, which falls directly in line with the word of mouth I have heard. I'll watch it for sure, just not in theaters :P

2011 was jam packed with box office bombs! I wonder if 2012 will put up as many?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Disney really pushed this one too. I’m surprised they thought this had all of the tie-ins they need in order to push a movie with this budget forward. I just did not see where the audience in the US was going to come from.

My daughter saw Mars needs Moms on demand a few weeks back. She seemed to like it. But it seems that cgi movies using realistic looking humans never do well in the box office. I think it’s because the characters just look creepy in that style
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

They should totally go back to the Wallace & Gromit style of claymation!

I actually liked Cowboys & Aliens, but I was glad that I waited for the bluray rental. This one seems to be another movie I will wait for too.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Read something the other day saying disney will loose between 120m-180m on this movie... WTF.. thats ridiculous.

Apparently they thought the scantily clad guy in the commercials would help them draw in the younger male audience.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm sure the corporate drones at Mouse Inc. will blame internet piracy or internet spoilers or internet something, but this lies fucking squarely in the lap of the marketing goons. They spent $100 million on a marketing campaign that was so bad it actually drove people away.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

They did zero marketing of the movie over here apart from standees and posters in the theatres.

The film is a lot of could have beens - it's just not good enough. It's both too long and too impatiently crammed with details. It could have been a lot better as two 1 hr 30 films than as the one 2hr 12 film it is now. Acting: generally poor. Effects: decent, but marred by overeager post-3D and some of the most crappily storyboarded action sequences I've seen. This, in combination with some horrendous editing and a tacked-on romantic sub "plot" makes for a pretty poor movie. 2/6 for me.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Boogahz wrote:I actually liked Cowboys & Aliens
Same, mindless enjoyable entertainment.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I liked this movie.. Then again, I'm a sucker for mindless entertainment. Bought the 1st 5 books to the series after the fact for 3$ on Kindle.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Bought the 1st 5 books to the series after the fact for 3$ on Kindle.
Aren't they free now due to their age? Who got your money?
Its seems the Burroughs estate has filed a lawsuit against comic publishers Dynamite who’ve put together a visual adaptation of the books which actually depicts Dejah Thoris as flat out naked. The suit according to THR makes some vague claim of copyright infringement, but there is no copyright issue here since the John Carter books were written in 1912. Any copyright on them has long since expired and the books are now in the public domain, which means they aren’t copyrighted.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

What a miscast, dude looks young like a teenager.

Wasn't John Carter supposed to look like this?

Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--