The Hunger Games

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Hunger Games

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Actually, you are picking a single item and riding it off of a cliff... whether it be movies or strange pre-teen Japan fetishes, there are usually plenty of text walls and screenies...

I'm not saying the entire movie sucks because of the bad photo.

Not sure why people getting so upset about it. Here's my original comment:
Winnow wrote:I see this picture everywhere. I'm no bow expert, but aren't you supposed to center the arrow on the bow string? It looks wrong in that pic.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Nothing is a big deal to winnow until she makes at least 15 posts about a single image.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nerds.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Nothing is a big deal to winnow until she makes at least 15 posts about a single image.
It wasn't a big deal until Ted Nugent got involved. Hint: if no one responds, I don't follow up on threads.

Look at the timeline, I didn't even follow up on that post. I responded to something else my next comment.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aslanna wrote:Nerds.
Yah think?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

This movie was really poor. I realize I'm not the target audience, but despite the worldwide Hunger Games psychosis, it was shit.

Semi-interesting setup with potential (ignoring the obvious Battle Royale-rip off), poorly executed. We could have had an interesting dystopic vision with a spin on the reality gameshow culture, romantic subplot and all. But the execution is really poor, the basic premises just aren't presented convincingly at all. Instead of exploring the sociological and cultural problems in the plot, those are just minor aspects that serve to flesh out the love triangle drama. The love story becomes the only driving force of the plot.

I honestly don't see how this movie has gotten the types of reviews it has. Incredibly sloppy editing, hysterical hand-held cinematography (the entire intro sequence was so atrocious), and generally the technical quality of the film is really, really, really poor. The technical pacing of the film is without rhythm or, indeed, any pace at all. It feels slow and chuggish. I understand that the books are extremely graphic in their descriptions of the violence, so perhaps it's an active choice in order to lessen the impact of the violence (and getting a rating that allows the target audience to watch it). It's possible. But maybe they shouldn't have made that movie, then. Because what they've made feels seriously castrated.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Yup. It is sad because the fucking screenplay was right in front of them in novel form. Damn things read like movies, not novels! It should have taken a screenwriter a matter of days, if not hours to come up with something way better than this. Amazing how much content was hacked off given the ample running time they had to play with.

Here's another thing....the first book was the best one by far. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The director is not returning for the sequels. I do not think the other films will get better.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Due to circumstance, I actually saw this movie a second time in a theater.

Shaky cam in this movie is off the fucking charts in the first part of the movie. Who in the fuck thinks that shaking the camera all over the place if a good thing? You sit there constantly hoping the shaking stops...maybe it's to cover up for poor directing or low budget scenes...shake the camera so they don't notice!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

The only movie I can think of that Cinema Verite (shakycam) works in is [Rec].
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The director seems like a moron:

http://hungergamesdwtc.net/2012/03/gary ... es-future/

Comments after the interview about the shaky-cam tell the story. I don't see how that movie could make it through a screening of any sample audience without them commenting on how horrible the camerawork was.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Canelek wrote:The only movie I can think of that Cinema Verite (shakycam) works in is [Rec].
Cinéma vérité and shaky cam aren't necessarily related!
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I despise shaky cam! It doesn't evoke any sort of tension, at least from me, but instead a large amount of annoyance.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The only people that think the shaky cam works to show an audience something such as "running" have never run before.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Canelek wrote:The only movie I can think of that Cinema Verite (shakycam) works in is [Rec].
Cinéma vérité and shaky cam aren't necessarily related!
Silly me. You are correct sir.
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I finally got around to watching the first one and Drolgin's post pretty much sums it up.
Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:This movie was really poor. I realize I'm not the target audience, but despite the worldwide Hunger Games psychosis, it was shit.

Semi-interesting setup with potential (ignoring the obvious Battle Royale-rip off), poorly executed. We could have had an interesting dystopic vision with a spin on the reality gameshow culture, romantic subplot and all. But the execution is really poor, the basic premises just aren't presented convincingly at all. Instead of exploring the sociological and cultural problems in the plot, those are just minor aspects that serve to flesh out the love triangle drama. The love story becomes the only driving force of the plot.

I honestly don't see how this movie has gotten the types of reviews it has. Incredibly sloppy editing, hysterical hand-held cinematography (the entire intro sequence was so atrocious), and generally the technical quality of the film is really, really, really poor. The technical pacing of the film is without rhythm or, indeed, any pace at all. It feels slow and chuggish. I understand that the books are extremely graphic in their descriptions of the violence, so perhaps it's an active choice in order to lessen the impact of the violence (and getting a rating that allows the target audience to watch it). It's possible. But maybe they shouldn't have made that movie, then. Because what they've made feels seriously castrated.
I don't get why everyone thinks it's so great.

And yeah shaky cam still sucks.

--