Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Hobbit Trailer

Post by Boogahz »

I definitely think this could have been condensed into one 3 hour movie...
[Show]
They ended the movie within view of the destination. Sure, there was forest between them, but that entire part of the journey could have taken the place of Rhadagast bopping around the forest trying to resurrect a hedgehog...or even removing the scene with the storm giants which added nothing except for a minor step to the overall trip. Then there were all of the Fly New Zealand moments, with the wonderful views of the mountainsides that stretched a scene of them walking to their destination through several extra minutes multiple times. Sure, it is pretty, but give us SOMEthing except a pack of dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard meandering between rocks.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I thought it was pretty good. But I like as much detail from a book left in the movie as possible, even if its just little details and scenery.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Watched The Hobbit last night, they took a great story and totally blew it. Was going put down a couple good points rather than write a rant about the bad and realized I couldn't't even do that. Won't be watching the next two(?).
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm about two hours in and I don't find it terrible so far.. Although the stuff they added, like the Rivendell stop and the whole one-armed Orcs storyline, is obvious and does feel a bit out of place. But I can see why they are doing some of it to try and tie it to the LotR story.

Also to be fair I haven't read The Hobbit in probably 15 years so I forgot a lot of the actual story and I was viewing the movie on it's own rather than comparing it to the source material.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Its been almost 25 years since I read the book, but this movie was overdone crap.. there were a few good parts... great scenery, but peter jackson should have NEVER been given carte blanche to make this any way he wanted.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I didn't last ten minutes watching this and deleted it. Hard to believe there will be two more movies. Stick to the book.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Overall I guess I didn't find it as bad as many others did. It currently has a 58 rating on Metacritic. I think I personally would give it a 70.

Also it should have just been two movies at most rather than three. I definitely think they tried too hard to make another trilogy when it didn't need to be.

There was also a few too many cheezy scenes which seemed to be directed towards younger folks. I just took that as a nod to the original book since it was originally intended as a child's story for his son. But then there's also monster beheadings so... Yeah a bit schizophrenic in that regard.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Call me a heathen or blasphemer but I couldn't even finish the book because I couldn't stand his writing style, I always wanted to go back and reread it because I enjoyed the movies so much but never have. So I very much enjoyed this movie and obviously didn't notice anything added or different from the book and will enjoy the next two I'm sure.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The Hobbit is a much better read after you've read the LoTR trilogy. You're interested enough that you overlook his writing style in that book.

I can't even think of a good analogy for the movie, maybe War and Peace as done by Uwe Boll in a 1990 NYC setting with an all-Brazilian cast.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I just bought the blue ray!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:I'm about two hours in and I don't find it terrible so far.. Although the stuff they added, like the Rivendell stop and the whole one-armed Orcs storyline, is obvious and does feel a bit out of place. But I can see why they are doing some of it to try and tie it to the LotR story.

Also to be fair I haven't read The Hobbit in probably 15 years so I forgot a lot of the actual story and I was viewing the movie on it's own rather than comparing it to the source material.
Finished Hobbit 2 and I definitely still feel the same as I did when I made the above post. Since the Hobbit mostly stands alone as its own story they are trying to make the movie as a prequel to the LotR movies so you can just watch one after the other. If you can accept that you probably wont hate the movies all that much. Still some overly cheesy parts but I'll give it a 8/10 overall. I gave Part 1 a 7/10.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

About the same for me. Although I really enjoyed the LOTR and Hobbit novels both as a child and as an adult, I am not that much of a stickler to source material if the film product is excellent...or very good, even.

Fuck it! Bring on the extend-o versions!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I never did get around to watching the third Hobbit movie. Someone did release a 4 hour 'Tolkien Edit' of the three combined so maybe I will watch that instead. Even if the quality is a bit on the DVD side.

--