Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

The Dead (2011)

Post by Canelek »

I'd been waiting for this film to find a distributor for over a year now. Like many independants, it took a while! Finally, they have one and begin their limited theatrical run (select cities) next month. Luckily, I finally came across a copy via Demonoid.

Quick plot: Sole survivor or a evacuation flight out of Africa, a American flight engineer, finds himself in the midst of enemy territory. Hordes of zombies, very little water, weapons and food are all obstacles from the get-go. With all he knows back in the States, our protagonist simply tries to survive.

The Ford brothers knocked this one out of the park. It is bleak, eerie, scary and human. Zombie movies are hardly uncommon these days, but couple a zombie apocalype with a harsh and HUGE environment and you have The Dead. Such a beautiful yet somber film. I am hoping it makes it to a local theater at some point so I can see it on the big screen. Such a wonderful film--especially if you are a fan of the genre. I absolutely loved it! Best zombie film since Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

9/10

http://www.the-dead-movie.com/

en kærlighed småkager
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Re: The Dead (2011)

Post by Kaldaur »

Have to post a very emphatic agreement with Canelek. I was able to watch this last night, and wow, what a great return to the shambling movies. Haven't seen a new zombie flick with the slow zombies since Shaun of the Dead, and since that was just a funny shout-out to Romero, it's been even longer. 28 Days Later and 'Dawn of the Dead' took the genre in a new direction, one where the terror was more 'oh shit, something's chasing me' as opposed to 'i only have twenty seconds to change the tire on my car, can i do it before the shamblers reach me?'

The Dead was a return to the slow simmer of suspense, and I have to say, I was on the edge of my seat. Perfect pacing, dialogue was crisp, and enough melancholy to keep you hoping for a redemption that may or may not come. Both main characters did an excellent job with their roles, and I would like to see them both in future projects.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I just finished it as well. I loved it. I'd like to see a movie that showed the cleanup of a disaster like this. Like Land of the Dead but better. Not so much focus on Rich vs Poor and oh yeah there are zombies.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I liked Land of the Dead well enough.

I think World War Z, if it ever gets green-lit, will cover the post-infection/cleanup period rather well.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Canelek wrote:I think World War Z, if it ever gets green-lit, will cover the post-infection/cleanup period rather well.
Wait, you are aware that they are currently filming WWZ with Brad Pitt in like Scotland or something, aren't you?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ahh. Forgot it was back on. Damn film kept yo-yoing.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not much of a zombie fan but I enjoyed this one.

Slow moving zombies FTW!