Post by Chidoro »

I found this to be an interesting read.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/conan-t ... ox-office/
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Dealing with a flop

Post by Zaelath »

With his list of credits I can't see this flop being that hard to deal with...

2005 The Crow: Wicked Prayer (screenplay)

2002 Cube 2: Hypercube (screenplay / story)

2002 Halloween: Resurrection (screenplay)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Yeah, the writer is a hack, his re-write was a hack re-write of a shitty script written by a bunch of other hack writers.

I'm not sure what happened. I remember when they first announced it, the producers were indicating that it was going to be a complete reboot and much more faithful to the Robert E. Howard novels and his vision of Conan as much more of a swashbuckling thief who uses his wit, agility and charm as much more than his combat prowess. The movie had failure stamped on it the moment they abandoned that and figured they should just try remaking Conan the Barbarian. What a complete waste of time. Schwarzenegger's Conan is iconic and the only way you could conceivably sway an audience away from that is to change it and make it something totally different. The way to do that was to be more faithful to the source material. Today's movie audience is more sophisticated than they were in the early 80s. Some bare chested dude grunting like an idiot is not going to fly.

It is a real shame the producers chickened out, but what do you expect. It is a thematic remake of a movie that is considered camp by today's standards; starring no one recognizable, directed by nobody in particular, and released in the middle of every other summer action movie in the world. It deserved to fail and it did.

Edit: I just read that article. I can't believe even a hack writer of this guy's magnitude extended that campaign metaphor for as long as he did. WE GET IT
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I never say any Crow sequels, but the original was shit-boring so I figure that one was no good either! The Halloween Resurrection movie was sub-par at best. As far as Cube 2...it was an unimaginative sequel at best. Cube was fantastic for being a single set!

Not quite a must-see with those credentials! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Zaelath wrote:2005 The Crow: Wicked Prayer (screenplay)
One of the single worst movies I have ever seen. Edward Furlong's performance in this "movie" cemented his place as one of the worst actors of all time in my book. And Tara Reid? In a serious role? Seriously? This film made me so angry.