Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Sons of Anarchy

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

This show is well into it's third season and not a single real thread about it.

Sons of Anarchy is a show on FX about a biker gang that runs guns, or at least that's how it started. The show itself has become much bigger and better than a basic plot.

I suck at writing reviews or giving a selling point for watching, but here are some reviews from metacritic.
Sons of Anarchy remains as bare-knuckled and, almost inconceivably, as funny and crass as ever. And it doesn't take Season 3 very long to ratchet up the twists
In the third season, the song remains the same. Biblical themes of fathers and sons, fathers and daughters, honor and dishonor, Cain and Abel are all baked under that pitiless California sun. Brace yourselves.
If you're really just in the mood for a tightly plotted character drama, the show delivers on that score. And if you like to see bikers busting heads, well, SOA has some of the best bone-crunching action in the business.
While some of their "family values" are perverse and illegal, most are rooted in the same principles embraced by the straightest arrows in town. That's what makes them more than motorcycle thugs and makes their show worth the discomfort it sometimes takes to ride with it.
This series has managed to lure me in. A real sceptic from the beginning but now I'm hooked. My only beef is having to wait a week to see the next episode. Katy Sagal and cast do one of the best jobs I have ever seen on television and make this roller coaster ride 100% believable. Thumbs up to Kurt and his gang!
This show is great. Although it is painted as a show about rough bikers and drugs, once the first 'layer' is removed ( after several viewings) you are ultimately left with one of the best dramas on television.

If you like good television then watch this show. That simple.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: Sons of Anarchy

Post by Sylvus »

I love this show. Probably the #1 priority must-watch show for my wife and I every week.

This week's episode was totally epic, can't wait to see how this season plays out.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Our #1 show as well. As amazing as the writing has been, the current story line is starting to get old. They need to wrap it up already. The previews of Tuesday's episode are just slightly unrealistic to me. I understand what they're trying to portray, but no father (who was as distressed as he was at the end of last season) would even consider what they're suggesting. Hope they can make it more believable than the previews did.

Ed: Anyone who's ever been a rider or spent any time at all around MC's would repeatedly recognize the details they pay attention to in how MCs work in the real world. It's extremely commendable.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Season finale was epic if you've been watching the show. So many loose ends tied up so wonderfully.. The writers for this show are holycrap amazing. It's a shame but I doubt they'll get any awards for it. Peg Bundy (Katey Sagal) needs an award for her work on this show without a doubt. She's been farking great. Interesting tidbit I didn't know, her husband is the creator of the show.

"The third season of the series attracts an average of 4.9 million viewers per week, making it FX's highest rated series ever, surpassing FX's other hits The Shield, Nip/Tuck, and Rescue Me. On October 7, 2010, Sons of Anarchy was renewed for a fourth season set to air in 2011"

If the finale is any indication, I think next season is going to get into the death of Jax's father. I hope they don't screw the show up with this. It got old pretty quick before when Jax and Clay were enemies. Last thing I want to see is another season of that. If anyone has an iPhone and likes the show, check out the app. It's got some cool background information. (The app is free I think)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The real thing wouldn't make good TV at all, you'd just be disgusted that human beings can act like that. And perhaps cheer when they're imprisoned for long stretches, assuming they live that long.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Good ending to the season. Hopefully they don't spend too much of next season in prison. I do wish that they'd get the regular cast some better bikes. Every random extra on a bike has a better ride than any of them.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Read somewhere that there's going to be a semi-time warp at the beginning of next season to mostly skip over their time in jail, so that's a good thing.

From my time spent riding and at various rallies I never really noticed 1%'rs or even larger clubs members to be much into the flashy bikes with a bunch of useless chrome and perfectly waxed custom paint jobs. Not saying they don't exist, but these guys ride every day every where and don't generally hold high paying jobs. They're not worrying about their chrome or paint getting scratched from use. Personally I find it more realistic that they aren't all riding around on custom $30k+ bikes. It would be out of place for SAMCRO to have several hundred thousands in bikes, but still have to work at the garage and sell guns to make ends meet. Their bikes should be transportation not trophy winners.

Asbidano is right though, a TV show based on the Mongols or Bandido's wouldn't be entertaining.. unless Quentin Tarantino were to make it of course.

Personal note.. if you're camping at a rally and hear a guy hitting on his girlfriend a campsite or two away, it's not manly (or wise) to say something to them if their nickname is Spider and they're around club mates. Witnessed a true assbeating when someone made the wrong decision there.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

To clarify, I'm not suggesting they put them on high-dollar customs that only people who trailer their bikes around would own. I agree that getting too fancy with the bikes would be totally wrong, but they need to do something to individualize them a bit. Having everyone in that chapter, save two members, riding essentially identical bikes is just as wrong as having everyone on 50k+ customs. I know exactly zero 1%ers, but know several members of various MCs, and it's rare to see anything that I'd call flashy, but the bikes are individual and have minor customizations, color variety, etc. All in all, it's a minor complaint, though.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Have watched S1 Ep1-6 so far and am impressed! Looking forward to the next disk via Netflix. Good stuff!
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

What a fantastic show! And the s3 finale...wow.

I really liked that there were lots of Deadwood folks represented. Maureen/Trixy, Jimmy/Silas and Utter/Unser. Can't wait for next season!
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Season 4 Premier September 6th!!!!

Will DL this and play Dead Island!
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funny. My flatmate handed me all three series a couple days ago... looks good :)

Edit: After 6 episodes, quality show. The biggest plot hole is they all ride harleys and only work on cars in the garage :P
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

And yet another former Deadwood actor! This time, it is the guy who played the minister with the brain tumor! Those folks just pop up everywhere these days...
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Also, that was a nice and badass opener. Looking forward to how the season unfolds.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Man, this show continues to stay solid. Anyone else still following? A couple episodes were plodding this season, but overall, it has been an improvement over last season.
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Couple of parts have been a bit on the stupid side. I mean why the fuck would Juice take an entire brick of coke instead of just sticking a knife in and putting a bit in a baggie? That still just makes me shake my head with poor writing.

Overall it has been a big win for 3 seasons.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Pretty sure he was only trying to take a little bit, but that Mayan interrupted him so he just grabbed it all.

Juice is going to have to be marked for death now, once they find out the truth of the last episode, right?

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They didn't care about the truth as long as they had a body! I initially though that Juice had a movie contract or something coming that he needed out of the series and that they would kill him off. At some point either Clay or Jax are going to have to die as they move onto some new role.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I felt that the whole Juice sup-plot was a bit contrived, but every season there is a little bit of that. Overall, it is a fantastic season. Had to rewind the Juice confrontation scene a few times. Contrived or not, it was a nice sequence!
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I really was shocked at how fast Juice was on that trigger. I was all giddy after that.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

That was a crazy gruesome death scene. I had to watch it a few times. I do hope that Piney dies. He has been useless to me since halfway into season 2. Charlie Utter looks marked for death as well, but I hope he pulls it out. I find myself rooting for any Deadwood or Shield alum in this show. Except for the preacher, I hated him in Deadwood too.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah. I did a double-take upon seeing Charlie Utter skulking around at the end. then I remembered his talk with Sheriff dude.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I don't know, I don't think that Juice is out of the woods yet. I think that Chibs definitely suspects something, and Opie may as well.
Zamtuk wrote:Except for the preacher, I hated him in Deadwood too.
Amen to that. I can't stand that guy!

HBO has been replaying Deadwood lately, and I flip through it from time to time. I forgot how many people were on that show. Deadwood alums are in virtually every series I religiously watch... SoA, Breaking Bad, Justified. I'm sure there are more. Throw in the cast of the Wire and I think you have pretty much any drama I watch covered.

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

[Show]
[Show]
Holy shit! Did Juice die, or was that the branch cracking at the end?!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

[Show]
That sure sounded like the branch followed by a thump as he hit the ground to me. If I was Juice, I would have taken that sheriff out rather than just take myself out though.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

[Show]
Given the way that he hanged himself (~4 foot vertical drop), he probably would have snapped his neck. Physics and physiology will probably take a back seat to story line here, though, because I'm almost positive that he will survive this incident.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Xatrei wrote:
[Show]
Given the way that he hanged himself (~4 foot vertical drop), he probably would have snapped his neck. Physics and physiology will probably take a back seat to story line here, though, because I'm almost positive that he will survive this incident.
[Show]
Well, at least they didn't make it David Carradine style. And yeah, I think he lives, and ends up spilling it all to Clay.
edit: Doesn't one of the prospects look like Dave Grohl?
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

There have been a few instances with the run thus far of this show that stand out to me.. The absolutely amazing acting when Jax watches his kid being taken away in the finale of that season and now for this season, the absolute hatred and aggravation I feel towards Clay. So their writing is having the right results on me.

I'm not a fan of the whole story line with Juice, as it seems more of a distraction than anything worthwhile. There doesn't seem to be a very good pleasant way of wrapping that up either, and the last thing I want to see is this drag out over multiple seasons (like the FBI woman did). I'm also somewhat questioning whether Juice really would have felt a threat from the club if they found out one of his parents was black. Would have been much easier to just say "hey guys, i didnt know my dad" and walk (or be forced) away than to believe he'd double cross the club and with no doubt at all put his life at risk. *shrug*

Still my favorite show on TV right now. Been trying to get into the haunted horror story whatever its called, but it just hasn't grabbed my interest.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Well, season 5 seems to be off to a blazing start!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

ffs.. if they keep up with the writing skills thus far, the finale for this season is going to be more satisfying than any Rocky movie ever made. I may shoot my load in a warm fuzzy feeling of happiness when Pope gets wiped.

Really, seriously getting sick of Gemma. Clay seems to have something in mind he's plotting. Not sure what. Can't see him getting back into any leadership role of the club ever again, especially since he can't ride. It seems like next week we might finally get an idea of what the home invasions are all about.
[Show]
Opie's death was f'n horrible. I mean, they did it well and such but it sucked. I pretty much hope they don't put his kids on in an upcoming episode to play out the daddy is dead thing. I'm honestly not sure I could handle that. (Odd the way becoming a parent makes you dislike various things)

I'm initially guessing Clay is the one that called the cops on the brothel. Someone just kill him already ffs.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

My f'ing DVR cut out toward the end, can anyone tell me what happened after the big OMG moment... more detail below
[Show]
Jax was talking to Chibs in the prison, and then he said that he wanted to talk to Tig, and then *poof* it cut out right as Tig came over

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

He basically told him to get in line and back his every play from now on.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Ahh.. thanks.

Also,
[Show]
Jax is playing Pope, right? He's not really going to sell Tig out, he's going to eventually let him kill Pope for killing Dawn (or Fawn, i forget which). Right??

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

[Show]
He didn't mention it. Suspense!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Sylvus wrote:Ahh.. thanks.

Also,
[Show]
Jax is playing Pope, right? He's not really going to sell Tig out, he's going to eventually let him kill Pope for killing Dawn (or Fawn, i forget which). Right??
I believe the previews for next week's episode indicated that. There's no way he'd just let it go, that's for sure. They were also discussing how to get to him when he could have you killed 'with a phone call'.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

The other seasons were good.. this one is awesome...

I think Jax is gonna end up being a bloodthirsty motherfucker.... and Tara will help.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

[Show]
Wow, just wow. I figured Ope would be done in sooner than later, but the prison pipe-orgy was still shocking and disturbing. Interesting to see what Clay has up his sleeve. I think he and Gemma will ultimatel wind up together again and plot against Jax, or something like that. Hard to say since last season and so far this one, things are just insanely awesome!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

'
Sons of Anarchy' actor dead in Hollywood murder mystery
By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 4:02 PM EDT, Thu September 27, 2012

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Investigators believe "Sons of Anarchy" actor Johnny Lewis brutally killed his elderly landlord Wednesday before falling to his death as he tried to escape police whose sirens he heard approaching.

A large pool of blood where Lewis' head crashed onto the pavement remained Thursday in the driveway of a house that has been the temporary home for actors and producers visiting Los Angeles to make movies for decades.

Lewis, 28, whose acting resume included "The O.C." and "Criminal Minds," appeared dead when the first officer arrived at the home in the Los Feliz neighborhood near Griffith Park, LAPD Commander Andrew Smith said Thursday.

The officer went inside the large house where neighbors reported hearing screams from a woman and glass breaking, LAPD Commander Andrew Smith said Thursday. The house "appeared to have been ransacked," with furniture broken.

Katherine Davis, its 81-year-old owner, was found dead on the second floor of the three level house in a "gruesome scene" police said. Her cat was found dead nearby, Commander Smith said.

The owner of the home next door and a painter working there were attacked by Lewis before his fatal fall, Smith said. Their facial injuries were minor, he said.

Police suspect drugs may have been involved, but "we don't have any hard evidence that says he was on anything right now," Smith said.

The toxicology report from the autopsy that the Los Angeles County coroner was conducting on Lewis Thursday would be crucial to determining if the actor was under the influence of drugs, Smith said.

"After 'bath salts,' new drugs are coming out all the time and young people try new drugs all the time," Smith said. "That's, of course, one of the things that our detectives are going to look into, whether he was using that or anything else."

Lewis lived in the home, which is on a winding, narrow residential street on a hillside on the eastern edge of Hollywood, about two weeks, Smith said.

Lewis is credited with playing Kip "Half Sack" Epps in 26 episodes of "Sons of Anarchy" in the FX Network drama's first two seasons, according to the Internet Movie Database. His character was killed off in the finale of season two.

"Sons" creator Kurt Sutter, in an extended Twitter posting Thursday, called Lewis' death "a tragic end for an extremely talented guy, who unfortunately had lost his way."

"I wish I could say that I was shocked by the events last night, but I was not," Sutter's tweet said. "I am deeply sorry that an innocent life had to be thrown into his destructive path. Yes, it's day of mourning, but it's also a day of awareness and gratitude. Sadly, some of us carry the message by dying."

This week's episode of "Sons of Anarchy," a series based on a violent motorcycle gang with graphic violence, included the death of "Opie," a major character.

Sutter's Twitter posting noted "the sad irony of it happening two days after opie's death is not lost on me."

People we've lost in 2012: The lives they lived

Sutter told TV writer Alan Sepinwall in an interview published in December 2009 that "Johnny wasn't happy on the show."

"Creatively, he really wanted out of his contract," Sutter told Sepinwell. "We had ongoing conversations, and we decided we'd find some noble way for him to go."

Lewis played Dennis "Chili" Childress in nine episodes of "The O.C." in 2005 and 2006, according to IMDb.com.

His last work was in an independent movie, "186 Dollars to Get Out," which was scheduled to release this month, the IMDb.com listings said.

Lewis -- whose full name is Jonathan Kendrick Lewis -- was born and raised in Los Angeles, although he holds dual U.S. and Canadian citizenship, according to his IMDb biography.

Davis, who lived in the home for decades, "typically rented to people in the movie industry, writers and actors, and they would come up here because it's a wonderful, quiet neighborhood," Smith said.

David Thoresen, who has been service the home's garden fountain for five years, said Davis was a small woman, standing no more than 5-feet, 3-inches tall.

"She was the happiest, nicest lady I ever met in my life," Thoresen said. "I loved Kathy."
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

The toxicology report from the autopsy that the Los Angeles County coroner was conducting on Lewis Thursday would be crucial to determining if the actor was under the influence of drugs, Smith said.
Who filed this report, Ric Romero?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Awww man. Halfsack was a great character. Was wondering why they killed him off...now I know.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Who filed this report, Ric Romero?
Yeah, forgot to link to CNN but most of the user comments are on how poorly the article is written.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Why did that article include a spoiler about who died in the latest episode? WTF
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

yeah, I saw that too. Assholes.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I blame winnow for posting it
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Keverian FireCry wrote:Why did that article include a spoiler about who died in the latest episode? WTF
Fortunately for you, if you haven't seen it yet, is that even knowing what happen doesn't take away from the sheer horror in watching it happen.
Fuck Michigan!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Zamtuk wrote:
Keverian FireCry wrote:Why did that article include a spoiler about who died in the latest episode? WTF
Fortunately for you, if you haven't seen it yet, is that even knowing what happen doesn't take away from the sheer horror in watching it happen.
Yeah, that's very true. I cringed and nearly had to look away with that scene. It's like you know what's coming.. but you can't look away.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The only thing I have ever seen that even compares to it was the American History X scene.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I used to watch it the next day on DVR, but now I have satellite and get to see the East Coast version. So, I would have been pissed as well. Basically every fan of the show read that article if they use any online news outlet. So this dipshit spoiled it for quite a few people.

Not sure how staff are treated for such a dueche-canoe manouver, but he should be flogged for such asshattery.
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Canelek wrote:I used to watch it the next day on DVR, but now I have satellite and get to see the East Coast version. So, I would have been pissed as well. Basically every fan of the show read that article if they use any online news outlet. So this dipshit spoiled it for quite a few people.

Not sure how staff are treated for such a dueche-canoe manouver, but he should be flogged for such asshattery.
I think if you passed...
Police suspect drugs may have been involved, but "we don't have any hard evidence that says he was on anything right now," Smith said.

"After 'bath salts,' new drugs are coming out all the time and young people try new drugs all the time," Smith said. "That's, of course, one of the things that our detectives are going to look into, whether he was using that or anything else."
...you deserve everything you get!

That level of "writing" is why people should go back to paying for their news...
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Least. surprising. reveal. ever.