Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

World War Z

Post by Canelek »

Yay! This was an awesome book!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45858
MTV spoke with WORLD WAR Z author Max Brooks about the status of Paramount's forthcoming film adaptation of his book (available HERE).

During their discussion, Brooks revealed that Brad Pitt is now attached to star in the picture…which is still slated to be directed by Marc Forster (QUANTUM OF SOLACE, the way under-appreciated STRANGER THAN FICTION ) .

Given that Pitt's production entity (Plan B) is a driving force on this project, Brad's involvement had been rumored/assumed for some time - but this is the first official confirmation of his attachment.

Brooks, son of Mel, says his similarly themed publications ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE
and ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE: RECORDED ATTACKS have been optioned by Paramount as well.

More details over at MTV (HERE).
en kærlighed småkager
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: World War Z

Post by Psyloche »

I eventually read this on suggestion from the reading forums and really enjoyed it. I'm just not so sure how a movie will be. I probably need to rethink how I go in to movies based "loosely" on books I enjoyed, because I should realize it's a movie with the title of a book I liked, not a movie that will be the book I liked.

Anyway, I'll still see this good or bad probably!
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Film adaptation

After a bidding war with Leonardo DiCaprio's production company Appian Way, Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment secured the screen rights to the novel in 2007.[28] The screenplay was written by Babylon 5 and Rising Stars creator J. Michael Straczynski, who identified the challenge in adapting the work as "creating a main character out of a book that reads as a UN Report on the zombie wars".[29] Marc Forster signed on to direct, and described the film as reminiscent of 1970s conspiracy thrillers like All the President's Men.[30] Straczynski, however, identified 2002 spy film The Bourne Identity as an appropriate comparison, and noted that the film will have a large international scope which maintains the political emphasis.[31]

When asked about his involvement with the film, Brooks stated that he had "zero control", but favored a role for Brad Pitt,[1] and expressed approval for Straczynski as screenwriter.[32][33] In an interview with Fangoria, Brooks said, "I can’t give it away, but Straczynski found a way to tie it all together. The last draft I read was amazing."[34] Despite his lack of artistic control, Brooks did say that the movie "has to be epic ... and if it isn't the Lord of the Rings of zombie movies, I don't want to see it get made."[35]

An early script was leaked onto the internet in 2008. Ain't It Cool News reviewed the script on March 27, 2008, and said "This isn’t just a good adaptation of a difficult book ... it’s a genre-defining piece of work that could well see us all arguing about whether or not a zombie movie qualifies as 'Best Picture' material".[36] The review also noted the film appears stylistically similar to Children of Men.[36] According to Ain't It Cool News, the film follows Gerry Lane as he travels the post-war world and interviews survivors of the zombie war who are "starting to wonder if survival is a victory of any kind." One of the first interviews is with Dr. Tsai, the first to encounter the zombies.[36]

Straczynski had hoped that the film would begin production by the start of 2009.[31] Forster, however, told IGN on March 6, 2009 that the script was still in development and he was not sure if World War Z would be his next film.[37] On March 20, 2009, rumors surfaced that production offices were set up and the film was in early pre-production.[38] In June 2009, Marc Forster told an interviewer that the film would be delayed, stating that the film's script still needs a lot of development and is "still far from realization".[39]

In July 2009, Brooks revealed to Fangoria that the script is currently being re-written by Matthew Michael Carnahan. Brooks believes this "shows [the producer's] confidence in this project" because of the amount of money that was being invested in it.[40] Paramount Pictures also announced at Comic-Con that they are looking for a new director to replace Forster.[41] Forster recently returned as director, and Brad Pitt has been confirmed to play the lead role.[42]
Looks interesting. Maybe i'll check out the Audiobook which is read by a cast of peeps.
Audiobook

An abridged audiobook was published in 2007 by Random House, directed by John McElroy, produced by Dan Zitt, with sound editing by Charles De Montebello. The book is read by author Max Brooks, but includes many other actors taking on the roles of the many individual characters who are interviewed in the novel. Brooks, thanks to his first career doing voice-over work and cartoons, was able to recommend a large number of the cast members.[12]
[edit] Cast

* Max Brooks: Max Brooks
* Arthur Sinclair: Alan Alda
* Jurgen Warbrunn: Carl Reiner
* Philip Adler: Jürgen Prochnow
* Saladin Kader: Waleed Zuiater
* Joe Muhammad: Dean Edwards
* Jesika Hendricks: Michelle Kholos
* Ahmed Farahnakian: Maz Jobrani
* Todd Wainio: Mark Hamill
* T. Sean Collins: Henry Rollins
* David Allen Forbes and Paul Redeker/Xolelwa Azania: Eamonn Walker
* Ajay Shah: Ajay Naidu
* Serosha Garcia Alvarez: John Turturro
* "The Whacko": Rob Reiner
* Bob Archer: Jay O. Sanders (credited as "Jay O'Sanders")
* General Travis D'Ambrosia: Dennis Boutsikaris
* Christina Eliopolis: Becky Ann Baker
* Kwang Jingshu: Steve Park
* Nury Televadi and Tomonaga Jiro: Frank Kamai
* Ernesto Olguin: John McElroy[23]
It's got Alan Alda in it! ..and of course, Mark Hamill who seems to be in any project that involves voice-overs.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I'd also like to see Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy pulled off on the big screen. That would be bitchin'. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Canelek wrote:I'd also like to see Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy pulled off on the big screen. That would be bitchin'. :)
I just want them to NOT keep on rebooting Jack Ryan :). The last movie was so awful because they decided to skip the whole earlier story and make him a low level analyst...and of course Ben Affleck didnt exactly help :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Exactly! In order of awesome:

Red Storm Rising
Rainbow Six

I'd say Without Remorse but that may not fly in screen, or maybe it would?
en kærlighed småkager
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Nice to finally here something about this after quite some time. And yes, Winnow the audio book is very well done, and alan & mark do a great job. I swear it is missing the chinese sub portion, though, which is one of my favorite chapters from the printed version.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This sounds like it has taken a turn for the worse. They are still doing reshoots because the brass was not happy with the original cut, the zombies are now "fast" instead of the slow "Romero" zombies, it sounds like Brad Pitt is going around the world participating in the outbreak instead of interviewing people involved froma past perspective, and it has been moved from a winter 2012 release to summer 2013. Basically, it sounds like they took the best things about the book and threw them out the fucking window. I don't understand why Hollywood buys the rights to a popular book/comic, then rewrite it while ignoring everything that made it unique and popular to begin with.

I hope I'm wrong, but word on the street is making me very nervous for this move.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ugh. Hope that isn't the case. Making this into a Michael Bay flick would suck.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Canelek wrote:Ugh. Hope that isn't the case. Making this into a Michael Bay flick would suck.
Well, appears this is exactly what happened:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/09/the- ... ously-bad/

CGI looks pretty bad, and pretty good, depending on the shot.

Summary: As usual, Hollywood takes a unique novel/novella/film and makes it into a giant explosionfest that has zero to do with the original content. World War Z appears to take a half-assed swipe at the original concept by at least having their explosionfest take place in several countries.

"Hey, we went global! That qualify for the title?? RITE EH? Like those hosers that did Dawn of the Dead 'remake', eh? Got mall? YES! Make ripoff movie cool!"

Also stinks of the terribly bad I am Legend remake. OMEGA MAN FTW.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I saw a trailer for this last night and the zombies look like a fast moving tidal wave in most of the shots. I don't get it. It also has them stacking on top of each other about 50 zombies high as they try to reach to top of something.

Slow moving zombies are more "believable" than incredibly fast zombies that work in unison like a swarm. I have no idea about how they got that way in World War Z as I haven't read it but it better be some awesome explanation for why they are so fast. If they just sped them up for the movie, that's total fail.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I hate it when the Hollywood rumor mill turns out to be true :(

Ready for the final insult? PG-13
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

In the fantastic novel, zombies are slow, as jesus intended.

Pg-13 wtf??
en kærlighed småkager
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

How can you make a PG13 zombie movie?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Hesten wrote:How can you make a PG13 zombie movie?
You've seen the music video for Thriller? Redo it with Justin Bieber.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This wasn't a good movie.

Pitt was pretty average in this movie. Too passive.

Not much character development and besides one small part, the zombies weren't really anyone that a main character in the movie cared about as opposed to something like the Walking Dead where family members and group members turned often to make things interesting and more personal.

Speed zombies suck.